Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 727601 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2700 on: May 29, 2019, 02:42:38 PM »
You miss the point, it's not the system or the concept that is at fault, but those executing it

Firstly you say we have been fastidious in carrying out due diligence, then you say the personnel are at fault for not carrying it out!
What exactly is the point?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2701 on: May 29, 2019, 02:58:03 PM »
Appleton apparently being interviewed by Swansea today,  which would rather suggest that he’s not nailed on for our vacancy.

Pearson it is then.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2702 on: May 29, 2019, 03:10:04 PM »
Appleton apparently being interviewed by Swansea today,  which would rather suggest that he’s not nailed on for our vacancy.

Pearson it is then.

I'd settle for that!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2703 on: May 29, 2019, 03:12:51 PM »
Let's hope Appy get's the Swansea gig. All the best Appy. :)

Pearson i wouldn't mind, and he has said he would be interested in the job and still looks out for our results. But i don't think he and Jenkins would get on and we would be back to square one in less than 12 months. I don't think the club have even considered him anyway.

The German Labaddia has the right credentials and would seem the best prospect, but again i could see it being short term given his unrest he has had in his own country. I couldn't see him or his family settling here.

That leaves BOGOF Cowley. Young ambitious and probably the right price for the Albion. Some have commented on his football style...or lack of it, but that means he has been a winner with little investment, and it's not to say it wouldn't change with better players at his disposal.
Besides we are talking about the Bartley's, not the Beckenbauer's he has to coach.
I don't know who i want, i worry we are leaving it late again though.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2704 on: May 29, 2019, 03:22:36 PM »
The are freebies to be snapped up player-wise, get a manager! Hopefully we hear something this evening or tomorrow but Dowling did say 2-3 weeks and we are at the end of the 2 week stage now so i think we should all realistically expect it to drag out. Probably doesn't help that Boro and Swansea are interviewing managers also, could mean there are some crossovers and managers taking time to think also.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2705 on: May 29, 2019, 04:51:00 PM »
Firstly you say we have been fastidious in carrying out due diligence, then you say the personnel are at fault for not carrying it out!
What exactly is the point?

IMO, since the days of Dan Ashworth, I would suggest we haven’t had a Sporting and Technical Director of Football who has had his ability, knowledge and skills.

He was very detail oriented, intuitive, competent, a perfectionist and had a conscious understanding of the causes and effects of running a successful football club, including dismissing and recruiting a Head Coach.

This detailed approach was second nature to him, unlike those that have followed him since. (The jury is still out on Luke Dowling).  So, while we have a prescriptive due  diligence approach and do so fastidiously, not everyone has the right level of intuitiveness and competence to undertake them efficiently, but more importantly, effectively. 

So, the point is unless the individuals charged with recruiting a Head Coach are capable of a fastidious approach to robust due diligence systems and procedures, you will, more likely than not, fail. And you don’t know, until after the event, the full extent of their level of fastidiousness, which appears to have been the case with us in recent years.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2706 on: May 29, 2019, 04:54:47 PM »
IMO, since the days of Dan Ashworth, I would suggest we haven’t had a Sporting and Technical Director of Football who has had his ability, knowledge and skills.

He was very detail oriented, intuitive, competent, a perfectionist and had a conscious understanding of the causes and effects of running a successful football club, including dismissing and recruiting a Head Coach.

This detailed approach was second nature to him, unlike those that have followed him since. (The jury is still out on Luke Dowling).  So, while we have a prescriptive due  diligence approach and do so fastidiously, not everyone has the right level of intuitiveness and competence to undertake them efficiently, but more importantly, effectively. 

So, the point is unless the individuals charged with recruiting a Head Coach are capable of a fastidious approach to robust due diligence systems and procedures, you will, more likely than not, fail. And you don’t know, until after the event, the full extent of their level of fastidiousness, which appears to have been the case with us in recent years.
Slightly worrying that Ashworth, presumably, didn't think Chris Hughton could be part of the long term future at Brighton.
Still, I'm not going to write off Hughton. We don't know what the other alternatives might be.  :-X
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:59:49 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2707 on: May 29, 2019, 05:10:01 PM »
Slightly worrying that Ashworth, presumably, didn't think Chris Hughton could be part of the long term future at Brighton.
Still, I'm not going to write off Hughton. We don't know what the other alternatives might be.  :-X

Brighton's goals are very different to ours!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2708 on: May 29, 2019, 05:33:05 PM »
Brighton's goals are very different to ours!

Other team's goals seem to include wanting to appoint managers quickly for a start .
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2709 on: May 29, 2019, 05:44:01 PM »

The only Head Coach I remember Ashworth being involved  with was Roy Hodgson, not sure that required a lot of intuitiveness & competence.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2710 on: May 29, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
I'm afraid Bruno is off to Hamburg just something I'm picking up off twitter in German, saying he rejected English Division 2 and other jobs in favour of Hamburg ??

The English second division has probably canceled and in the evening paper HSV is canceled and in t..

Whatever you were using to translate German tweets clearly needs updating - Hamburg just appointed Dieter Hecking. Labaddia has managed Hamburg twice in the last decade and been sacked twice.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2711 on: May 29, 2019, 05:56:18 PM »
The only Head Coach I remember Ashworth being involved  with was Roy Hodgson, not sure that required a lot of intuitiveness & competence.

Wasn't he also involved in appointing and terminating Dimatteo and Clarke?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2712 on: May 29, 2019, 06:18:19 PM »
Wasn't he also involved in appointing and terminating Dimatteo and Clarke?

Di matteo possibly, Ashworth moved on to England before Clarke went.

Tend to think that Peace made all the hire & fire decisions at that level.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2713 on: May 29, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
Di matteo possibly, Ashworth moved on to England before Clarke went.

Tend to think that Peace made all the hire & fire decisions at that level.

Dan was the Director between 2007 and 2012 I believe, so was involved in at least hiring of all, maybe not firing Clarke and I do believe JP depended on him, heavily, when appointments were made. But also consider the wider aspects of his tenure.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2714 on: May 29, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »
I believe the club spoke to Jokanovic whilst DM was here, got the impression they could tempt him into the job.

Acted quickly on getting rid of DM, then spoke to Jokanovic who changed the goalposts in terms of demands etc and priced himself out of the job. This then left the club scrambling for a new boss, struggled to really get excited by anyone and therefore gave it Shan until end of the season.

This makes sense and is probably a tactic used by quite a few mercenary overseas managers.  Club probably did the right thing by not submitting to blackmail.  Had it done that the demands from Jokanovic would only have increased beyond what we genuinely could afford.   
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2715 on: May 29, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »
Michael Appleton talking to #Swans about manager's job today. Obviously not on his own as a candidate. Club keen (obviously) to get the right man.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2716 on: May 29, 2019, 09:51:55 PM »
Michael Appleton talking to #Swans about manager's job today. Obviously not on his own as a candidate. Club keen (obviously) to get the right man.

Hope he gets the job

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2717 on: May 29, 2019, 10:03:06 PM »
after getting turned down for qpr job i really hope he gets the swansea job...puts an end to him been linked with us..not done anything to warrant our job

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2718 on: May 29, 2019, 10:26:45 PM »
Would be none too happy if I was a Swansea fan, but puts the slight chance of him getting our job to bed.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2720 on: May 29, 2019, 10:59:04 PM »
Second round talks for Labbadia

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/05/30/new-west-brom-boss-will-be-asked-to-trim-38m-wage-bill/

If true then it means he must still be interested which is promising. Lets get this wrapped up Albion!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2721 on: May 29, 2019, 11:22:12 PM »
Quite a bit to glean between the lines.

1. Cowley looks like he is out of contention
2. Hughton wants time off (polite way of saying thanks but no thanks on his part maybe)
3. Other coaches who have come available since the end of the season under consideration. Allegri anyone??

But the key takeaway here is that it looks like Labbadia is the leading candidate.

I guess if I can't have Appleton, Labbadia is not a bad alternative.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2722 on: May 29, 2019, 11:29:55 PM »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2723 on: May 29, 2019, 11:43:58 PM »
Quite a bit to glean between the lines.

1. Cowley looks like he is out of contention
2. Hughton wants time off (polite way of saying thanks but no thanks on his part maybe)
3. Other coaches who have come available since the end of the season under consideration. Allegri anyone??

But the key takeaway here is that it looks like Labbadia is the leading candidate.

I guess if I can't have Appleton, Labbadia is not a bad alternative.

A rare light hearted moment from your good self!!  ;D  Well played.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2724 on: May 29, 2019, 11:47:29 PM »
So we’re two weeks away again. We were two weeks away ten days ago!
what s the rush? he'll probably have 3 days left in the transfer window to build a team.