Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 727649 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #1200 on: April 08, 2019, 08:09:38 PM »
CL did not walk , he was pushed.

Go on, tell us more, you’ve gone this far :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1201 on: April 08, 2019, 08:39:47 PM »
Heard he was on gardening leave for quite some time after he 'left' .
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1202 on: April 08, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »
Anyone listen Adrian Durham on talksport this evening?

I was listening at about 4.15pm and he said he had some information about West brom at 6.30pm. I couldn't listen after 5.30pm.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1203 on: April 08, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »
Heard he was on gardening leave for quite some time after he 'left' .

Why was he put on “gardening leave”?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1204 on: April 08, 2019, 09:06:00 PM »
Anyone listen Adrian Durham on talksport this evening?

I was listening at about 4.15pm and he said he had some information about West brom at 6.30pm. I couldn't listen after 5.30pm.
this popped up on news now early this afternoon.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/980723562?-11200:789

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1205 on: April 08, 2019, 09:24:21 PM »

that HITC article is very misleading, it references the E&S article about recruiting coaches to help Shan, not about imminently appointing a replacement
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1206 on: April 08, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »
Why was he put on “gardening leave”?
I don't know the detail but he was pushed

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1207 on: April 08, 2019, 09:53:50 PM »

As soon as he mentioned West brom I looked at newsnow and read about an additional coach possibly being appointed, but I don't know what he actually revealed at 6.30pm. The way he left it until 6.30pm made it sound like it was an announcement or something.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1208 on: April 08, 2019, 09:55:09 PM »
If how he is on Twitter is anything to go by it doesn’t surprise me, anyone who disagrees with him he basically calls thick and talks down to people.

I don't know the detail but he was pushed

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1209 on: April 08, 2019, 10:10:09 PM »
If how he is on Twitter is anything to go by it doesn’t surprise me, anyone who disagrees with him he basically calls thick and talks down to people.
I don't know the bloke, but a mate does and he told me. There was no announcement that he had left the club.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1210 on: April 09, 2019, 06:31:06 AM »
Just another thought, rolling back the months a bit but if we're going for a rebuild we could do a lot worse than Graham Potter. Hes got Swansea playing some fantastic stuff, building a young first team andis working on a shoestring. I can see Swansea pushing for the top 6 next year if someone doesn't pinch him. Just another idea for the hat

Potter would have been my first choice for the role in the summer and I was genuinely shocked that he went to Swansea who were very obviously in chaos. However I honestly don't think while the Pulis era players are still here that we could expect any coach to get this lot playing football the outcome we currently have was with the advantage of hindsight always the most likely. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1211 on: April 09, 2019, 08:46:38 AM »
Plan B has two parts:

One which sees us staying in the Championship & the other as a Premiership team.

As I see it, the board trust Shan to get us promoted, & have offered him help, which he has so far declined.

IMO, Shan has the trust of the players, but I do think he needs some help to get them over the line. The situation at the moment is finely balanced, & a poor result again tomorrow, would probably force the board into reacting, possibly to bring in someone like Megson.

I don't think we'll see a permanent appointment, until the summer

If the board knew they were going to wait until the summer for the appointment, then Megson should have been high on the list to bring in to see the season out, will never happen with Jenkins here.

Best we can now hope for is a couple of experienced assistants  coming in to try and see us over the line.

Can see it being Shakespeare and Kevin Phillips.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1212 on: April 09, 2019, 08:53:10 AM »
Just another thought, rolling back the months a bit but if we're going for a rebuild we could do a lot worse than Graham Potter. Hes got Swansea playing some fantastic stuff, building a young first team andis working on a shoestring. I can see Swansea pushing for the top 6 next year if someone doesn't pinch him. Just another idea for the hat

Yep, I agree, I wanted Potter before. He is in a job though so it'd be unlikely (although so is Alex Neill). If we can't get / don't want Jokanovic then we should be trying to poach Potter away from Swansea.

Either of those two I'd be happy with.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1213 on: April 09, 2019, 08:55:31 AM »
If we are interested in Michael Appleton as coaching help for Shane, we might have to hurry along with it.

“QPR hold talks with Michael Appleton over vacant managerial position”

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/08/qpr-hold-talks-michael-appleton-vacant-managerial-position/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1214 on: April 09, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »
If we are interested in Michael Appleton as coaching help for Shane, we might have to hurry along with it.

“QPR hold talks with Michael Appleton over vacant managerial position”

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/08/qpr-hold-talks-michael-appleton-vacant-managerial-position/

To be fair I cant see Appleton coming here to help out. Think that idea sailed away the moment he said he was interested in the managers position. Bringing in him to help Shan would have possibly undermined Shan a bit and could have got a bit toxic if he had an eye on the main job.

I have posted elsewhere I expect it to be someone like Shakey/ Kevin Phillips to come in and help. Knowledge of the club and probably happy to just come in and help out with no agenda on the main job.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1215 on: April 09, 2019, 09:35:26 AM »
I get the impression that the head coach the club appoints will depend on the business model of the owners. 

If the model is to get into the EPL as quickly as possible and cling on there  at whatever cost to footballing values then someone in the Alladyce or Pulis mould will be chosen.  This will secure a money stream for the owner.

If the business model is to rebuild, exploiting what comes out of the academy then someone like Potter or Wagner would be chosen.  This will save money that in the first model would be spent on acquiring and paying tough old pros.  This might bring the owner some return from the sale of talent but is a longer term project.

Regardless of whichever model is favoured, the HC needs to have a vision of how he wants to play and be able to drop or sub any player that won't or can't play that way - no matter how self-important they are.  This even includes those whom he has himself brought in at some expense.  Part of leadership is to acknowledge your own mistakes.

He must be able to read the game and have plan B and C up his sleeve if plan A is not working.  The manager's confidence in his vision must be greater than the ego of any player.

Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1216 on: April 09, 2019, 09:51:38 AM »

Yep, I agree, I wanted Potter before. He is in a job though so it'd be unlikely (although so is Alex Neill). If we can't get / don't want Jokanovic then we should be trying to poach Potter away from Swansea.

Either of those two I'd be happy with.
I would argue that, if either of those had been our manager, and performed how they did earlier this season, we would have sacked them long ago.
Not saying I disagree with your choices, but this board do not have the vision to come up with a plan, let alone stick with it!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1217 on: April 09, 2019, 09:55:16 AM »
IF we don't get promoted, this summer is the perfect opportunity for us to 'create an identity.'

Whilst I don't have any faith in the powers that be to be able to get this done, when you factor in the amount of outgoings we are likely to face, it would be a perfect opportunity for someone to come in and bring in their own players and way of playing, i.e Graham Potter and the high press passing game.

Granted it would mean sticking with the new man whilst the ideas get implemented, which again I cant see us doing.

Very worrying time to be a baggie at the moment. The way the club is being run at the moment makes me feel the owner may be looking at a way out rather than a long term plan for the club.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1218 on: April 09, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
IF we don't get promoted, this summer is the perfect opportunity for us to 'create an identity.'

Whilst I don't have any faith in the powers that be to be able to get this done, when you factor in the amount of outgoings we are likely to face, it would be a perfect opportunity for someone to come in and bring in their own players and way of playing, i.e Graham Potter and the high press passing game.

Granted it would mean sticking with the new man whilst the ideas get implemented, which again I cant see us doing.

Very worrying time to be a baggie at the moment. The way the club is being run at the moment makes me feel the owner may be looking at a way out rather than a long term plan for the club.
I'm almost at the point now where I think we would be better of getting relegated than promoted. If we go up, all I can see is another Pulis, survival at all costs type, with the players that, that brings. More ageing, 100%ers, with no real creativity or flair, just good ard working lads. The only way I can see us rebuilding to a new, young, exciting model is to drop down to League One.
Worrying times indeed.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1219 on: April 09, 2019, 10:54:41 AM »
I'm almost at the point now where I think we would be better of getting relegated than promoted. If we go up, all I can see is another Pulis, survival at all costs type, with the players that, that brings. More ageing, 100%ers, with no real creativity or flair, just good ard working lads. The only way I can see us rebuilding to a new, young, exciting model is to drop down to League One.
Worrying times indeed.

I think if we don't go up, it would be the ideal time to do the rebuild (the club and the fans would have to accept they may not challenge for promotion next year).

With all the loan players and the 'senior' lot that would be expected to be sold, out of contract etc it could potentially leave us with a squad of the following (before any incomings):

Johnstone
Bond

Townsend
Bartley
Fitzwater
Ferguson
Wilson

Field
Barry (unsure on his contract situation)
Livermore - signed a new contract in Dec, unsure if he would be easily moved on
Brunt/Morrison - guessing they would be kept on
Leko
Edwards

HRK
Tulloch

That's obviously assuming we sell all the players that are expected. For me that would be the perfect time to bring in players who buy into the new managers philosophy. As others have said Wagner has experience of doing this, hence why he could be the main target.

If we stay in the championship, for me I would rather see someone like Lee Johnson be given a chance as opposed to Wagner (wasn't really keen on the Huddersfield team to be fair). But the club really need to be looking at the set up of the club, it wouldn't be the worst thing in looking abroad and trying to get the next decent coach from Germany etc, look at Norwich - I cant imagine their team has cost much to put together.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but in the summer we had the chance to go get a Chris Wilder, Dean Smith guy and chose to give it DM. Sheff United now look likely to take top 2, and Smith will probably do well with Villa in the playoffs.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1220 on: April 09, 2019, 11:03:16 AM »
I think if we don't go up, it would be the ideal time to do the rebuild (the club and the fans would have to accept they may not challenge for promotion next year).

With all the loan players and the 'senior' lot that would be expected to be sold, out of contract etc it could potentially leave us with a squad of the following (before any incomings):

Johnstone
Bond

Townsend
Bartley
Fitzwater
Ferguson
Wilson

Field
Barry (unsure on his contract situation)
Livermore - signed a new contract in Dec, unsure if he would be easily moved on
Brunt/Morrison - guessing they would be kept on

Leko
Edwards

HRK
Tulloch

That's obviously assuming we sell all the players that are expected. For me that would be the perfect time to bring in players who buy into the new managers philosophy. As others have said Wagner has experience of doing this, hence why he could be the main target.

If we stay in the championship, for me I would rather see someone like Lee Johnson be given a chance as opposed to Wagner (wasn't really keen on the Huddersfield team to be fair). But the club really need to be looking at the set up of the club, it wouldn't be the worst thing in looking abroad and trying to get the next decent coach from Germany etc, look at Norwich - I cant imagine their team has cost much to put together.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but in the summer we had the chance to go get a Chris Wilder, Dean Smith guy and chose to give it DM. Sheff United now look likely to take top 2, and Smith will probably do well with Villa in the playoffs.
So you have given up on Harper, but you seem to be saying that it's OK to keep this bunch of wasters?

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1221 on: April 09, 2019, 11:09:37 AM »
I think you're probably right from a football perspective Mister AT, unfortunately it's pretty clear that's really not what the owner has in mind!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1222 on: April 09, 2019, 11:14:21 AM »
So you have given up on Harper, but you seem to be saying that it's OK to keep this bunch of wasters?

I haven't given up on him, but I expect him to leave when his contract expires and sign for a prem team yes.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1223 on: April 09, 2019, 11:29:31 AM »
I haven't given up on him, but I expect him to leave when his contract expires and sign for a prem team yes.
You are probably correct unfortunately, but we cannot hope to build from bottom up with these undesirable seniors still around, and we need to get rid of them.
We should sell Livermore to the highest bidder......however low that bid might be, and if the other three are still contracted, then take a hit, pay them off and get rid! They are not conducive to a rebuild,and are a bad influence, deciding when, and for who, they will make the effort. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:09:35 PM by iwastherein68 »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1224 on: April 09, 2019, 11:34:37 AM »
This has to be the season the old boys go regardless of what division we are in next year.

The next manager needs to be someone with no ties to the club within the last 15 years.