Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 727654 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #875 on: March 26, 2019, 02:01:40 PM »
I am genuinely appalled by the clubs management of this situation. How have several weeks passed and we're still not showing signs of bringing in an experienced manager, or even being communicated with. I jokingly said the day after Darren Moore's sacking that we'll probably appoint Shan in order to save a few quid. Let me repeat, I said that as a joke thinking it wasn't ever going to happen. But of course, as each day passes by, it becomes ever more likely that we're going to be let down yet again, and a joke is exactly what we're becoming.

I would really love to know the clubs plan for appointing new staff for when Shan gets sacked if given the job? This board can't even appoint one competent member of staff (i.e a manager) without making a complete balls up of it almost every time, so how's everyone's faith in our board to appoint a new HC, coaching staff, Head of Youth Dev, Under 23s manager/coaching staff and whoever else we've promoted out of idle laziness. We're playing a very dangerous game here, we're ripping out some of the fundamental roots from which we've spent our most successful period in 20 years. We've already lost a key member of staff in Darren Moore and every time we hastily appoint another one who's doomed to a swift sacking it shown they aren't up to it, we're losing more. These staff need replacing and we have a board who've shown time and time again that they're not capable of doing that.

The clubs communication certainly seems to be fine when they're marketing their new early bird season ticket offers, it's funny how we're expected to rush out to make decisions, yet it takes them weeks to decide on one that's self imposed. We should have got Jovanovic within days of Darren Moore's appointment, he should have been here for a couple of weeks by now, implementing his plan. Instead, we sit here with no idea what's happening, looking at the possibility of making another lazy appointment because the board don't want to pay a good manager good money for a good outcome.

It's been widely reported that James Shan is not being considered for the full time position.

Flavour of the month, at the moment, is the German coaching model. I suspect that David Wagner is the preferred candidate, & the board are conducting a holding operation until the summer.
I also suspect the reason there has been no announcement, is there is nothing to announce.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #876 on: March 26, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
Makes Moore's sacking even more ridiculous and proves beyond doubt, IMO, that it was nothing to do with style of play. The clowns making these decisions know nothing about football and have made a kneejerk reaction to 3 bad results, sacrificing Moore to save their own skins when facing a grilling in China. Now they have no plan B so are offering up Shan as the next sacrificial lamb.
Until we get someone at board level with some knowledge of the game, we will continue to lumber from one disaster to another.
I am fully expecting the next appointment to be a throw back to a Pulis type, safe pair of hands. Won't have to worry about the old playing it out from the back then though.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #877 on: March 26, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »
Have some patience. We'll have a much wider choice of managers at the end of the season. No need to just rush someone in for the sake of it. And yes, Moore and his mate did have to go, even if we had no-one else lined up.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #878 on: March 26, 2019, 02:34:46 PM »
Have some patience. We'll have a much wider choice of managers at the end of the season. No need to just rush someone in for the sake of it. And yes, Moore and his mate did have to go, even if we had no-one else lined up.

Do you really believe that?  ::)
We'll have the choice of a couple of out of work journeymen managers so that we don't have to pay compensation to and we can pay the minimum wage required.
Expect to be underwhelmed with the new bloke as well.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #879 on: March 26, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »
I'm hardly ever underwhelmed any more, because I never expect too much.

Of course I believe that there will be more choice of managers at the end of the season. I don't have the statistics but I'm pretty sure that more managers are between jobs after the end of the season than they are in February and the following couple of months. Look at the likes of Garry Monk (just the first example that came to mind). Pretty sure the likes of him would be looking for a job with better prospects and would feel more comfortable doing it at seasons end, instead of doing the dirty on a club part way through a season. There will be many managers looking for fresh opportunities etc etc.

Don't want to get in the way of your bashing session of the board though, so please continue as you were :)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #880 on: March 26, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »

Of course I believe that there will be more choice of managers at the end of the season. I don't have the statistics but I'm pretty sure that more managers are between jobs after the end of the season than they are in February and the following couple of months. Look at the likes of Garry Monk (just the first example that came to mind). Pretty sure the likes of him would be looking for a job with better prospects and would feel more comfortable doing it at seasons end, instead of doing the dirty on a club part way through a season. There will be many managers looking for fresh opportunities etc etc.

Don't want to get in the way of your bashing session of the board though, so please continue as you were :)
So you think the board have got this spot on then?

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #881 on: March 26, 2019, 04:23:36 PM »
I wouldn't know exactly what's gone on behind the scenes as far as the managerial search is concerned, so I couldn't really make an informed call on that one at this point.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #882 on: March 26, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »

Potentially, as things stand,the club is looking at 2 Job Descriptions - one for an EPL Manager & one for an EFL Manager.
I agree with you, there are loads of Managers who would jump at the chance to manage an EPL club.
IMO there would be less demand for an EFL position, but still enough to give us a good choice.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #883 on: March 26, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »
James Shan happy with his team for this week.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/03/26/west-brom-caretaker-james-shan-happy-with-his-coaching-team-for-this-week/

I'm a big fan of James Shan, & I think he has the capacity to get us promoted, but this concerns me a bit, it demonstrates political naivety.
Think I might have taken up the offer of help, by not doing so, he's put enormous pressure on himself to deliver.
On the contrary. This interview sounds as though he knows what he’s doing, and he doesn’t need further staff to muddy the waters. May I also add, it’s good to read a pre match interview with so few cliches. COYB.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #884 on: March 26, 2019, 06:20:08 PM »
On the contrary. This interview sounds as though he knows what he’s doing, and he doesn’t need further staff to muddy the waters. May I also add, it’s good to read a pre match interview with so few cliches. COYB.

I've no doubt he does know what he's doing, but he needs to get the Directors onside as well as the players & staff, especially Luke Dowling.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #886 on: March 26, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
West Bromwich Albion reach huge head coach decision - reports

I know this will come as a great shock to many of you, but a decision appears to have been made

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-reach-huge-16031763.amp?__twitter_impression=true
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #887 on: March 26, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
If we don't have a settled coaching team in place at the start of the summer, it will work as a disincentive for the better more ambitious players to stay at the club.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #888 on: March 27, 2019, 12:54:17 PM »
West Bromwich Albion reach huge head coach decision - reports

I know this will come as a great shock to many of you, but a decision appears to have been made

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-reach-huge-16031763.amp?__twitter_impression=true

If that's true, it just goes to show the 'make do' attitude of the club, and the utter lack of footballing knowledge in the club, as well as the penny-pinching nature.

FFS

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #889 on: March 27, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »
If that's true, it just goes to show the 'make do' attitude of the club, and the utter lack of footballing knowledge in the club, as well as the penny-pinching nature.

FFS

I think it's a sensible move at this stage. I think it'd be unwise to appoint a head coach now not knowing what division we'll be in next season therefore, not knowing what we require from our new head coach.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #890 on: March 27, 2019, 01:14:49 PM »

I think it's a sensible move at this stage. I think it'd be unwise to appoint a head coach now not knowing what division we'll be in next season therefore, not knowing what we require from our new head coach.

Whoever it is will have to get on with free transfers, loan signings , and academy graduates whatever the division .

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #891 on: March 27, 2019, 01:23:07 PM »

FFS

Nursey's article is at odds with other media articles on the subject.

Most correspondents suggest that James Shan has been given Friday's game against Birmingham, & subject to our performance in that game would be given the remainder of the season.
James Shan also has an option of bringing in some experienced help, which he has declined for the Birmingham game.

Personally, I'm not seeing a "make do" attitude, & surely Luke Dowling is providing "football knowledge" to the decision making process.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #892 on: March 27, 2019, 01:26:56 PM »

I'd argue that appointing a manager now would be key to being in a higher division next season, rather than write off our best chance.

Whoever the manager is next season will need to rip up the squad and start again, whichever division we're in, so why not give them the rest of this season to have a look at the squad, decide if he wants to try and keep any, and maybe even get promotion.

But no, we'll end up with Shan, and be in the exact same situation in 12 months time when he doesn't work out because he's a very good coach who can't step up to handle the added demands of management. Brilliant.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #893 on: March 27, 2019, 01:57:11 PM »
I'd argue that appointing a manager now would be key to being in a higher division next season, rather than write off our best chance.

Whoever the manager is next season will need to rip up the squad and start again, whichever division we're in, so why not give them the rest of this season to have a look at the squad, decide if he wants to try and keep any, and maybe even get promotion.

But no, we'll end up with Shan, and be in the exact same situation in 12 months time when he doesn't work out because he's a very good coach who can't step up to handle the added demands of management. Brilliant.

Thing is, that probably hasn't even occurred to our clueless board.

Anyway I'd heard they are waiting to give May the job as soon as she's available.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #894 on: March 27, 2019, 02:21:01 PM »
 Brunty has been on 5 Live saying we've had 13 managers in 10 years.
A damming indictment if ever there was one

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/west-brom-ace-delivers-scarcely-believable-reveal-concerning-managerial-upheaval/

Need revolving doors fitting to the office entrance asap.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #895 on: March 27, 2019, 02:34:14 PM »

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/west-brom-ace-delivers-scarcely-believable-reveal-concerning-managerial-upheaval/

Looks like its actually 14 if you are counting caretakers. If you are not then its not 13. Not that its much better but you could also say its 14 in 13 years rather than 14 in 10 in you want to make the stats slightly more favourable.

Tony Mowbray 18 October 2006 - 16 June 2009
Roberto Di Matteo 30 June 2009   6 February 2011   
Michael Appleton 6 February 2011 - 14 February 2011   
Roy Hodgson 14 February 2011- 1 May 2012   
Steve Clarke 12 June 2012   14 December 2013
Keith Downing 14 December 2013   11 January 2014   
Pepe Mel 9 January 2014 -does include caretakers.  12 May 2014
Alan Irvine 14 June 2014 - 29 December 2014   
Rob Kelly 29 December 2014- 1 January 2015   
Tony Pulis 1 January 2015   20 November 2017   
Gary Megson 20 November 2017   29 November 2017   
Alan Pardew 29 November 2017   2 April 2018   
Darren Moore 2 April 2018   9 March 2019   
James Shan 

From 14, there are five caretakers and two who have left us to take other jobs.  We have sacked 7 in 8 years.... or 7 in 13 if you want to dress that differently too.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #896 on: March 27, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »

And how many of those have the senior players had an issue with ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #897 on: March 27, 2019, 03:56:48 PM »
And how many of those have the senior players had an issue with ?

And how many have left with a hefty wedge?  I reckon potentially 8 in 10 years (see below),  which is a very expensive way of conducting business, then add in all their staff and also the number of board members who have departed, its not really surprising the club is short of cash and we haven't even started on some of the CRAZY deals we have given players / agents

Roberto Di Matteo from 30 June 2009       
Steve Clarke
Keith Downing   
Pepe Mel
Alan Irvine 
Tony Pulis
Alan Pardew   
Darren Moore  to   9 March 2019   
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #898 on: March 27, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »
Reeling off how many managers we've had and of those how many we've had to dismiss because they have been found wanting seems a good argument for not making a new appointment in haste and waiting until the end of the season when a good manager is more likely to be persuaded out his current post.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #899 on: March 27, 2019, 09:55:12 PM »
Maybe the board could be given a list of 8 possible managers and asked yes/no for each, and if none of them got more than 50% they could come back on Monday...