Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1310195 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #2575 on: January 17, 2019, 01:00:30 PM »
Well he's been open and honest that someone has watched a training session of teams in this division.

I have no issue with that whatsoever - I find it to be rather intelligent to be honest and if anything highlights the lack of security issues with member clubs.

Bielsa produced 300 hours of footage which assessed every player and pattern of play related to Derby County.

To suggest that Leeds are where they are because they have been involved in spygate, is for the birds.

I still repeat - he has been a breath of fresh air to this division and has took the quality of football to another level.
I love the fact his ploy was to distract people with his presentation when those reporters already know that this data was available and most if not all managers do this nowadays. Albion have a department specifically to collect data and video not only of opposition teams, but where our players weaknesses are and how to improve.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2576 on: January 17, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »
I love the fact his ploy was to distract people with his presentation when those reporters already know that this data was available and most if not all managers do this nowadays. Albion have a department specifically to collect data and video not only of opposition teams, but where our players weaknesses are and how to improve.

I know..

And your point is?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2577 on: January 17, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »
I think in admitting that, the book should be thrown at him, and the club as well. I would expect no less if it was us sending spies into every teams training sessions.

Even if it doesn't break any particular rule it's still unsporting and immoral. The amount of people condoning it saddens me. Anything for an advantage.

He even proved during the press conference how much work they put into scouting teams based on matches, so why do they feel the need to gain an illegal advantage too?

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2578 on: January 17, 2019, 02:38:32 PM »
I doubt it would happen but it would be hilarious if they got points deducted for this.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2579 on: January 17, 2019, 06:48:20 PM »
Well he's been open and honest that someone has watched a training session of teams in this division.

I have no issue with that whatsoever - I find it to be rather intelligent to be honest and if anything highlights the lack of security issues with member clubs.

Bielsa produced 300 hours of footage which assessed every player and pattern of play related to Derby County.

To suggest that Leeds are where they are because they have been involved in spygate, is for the birds.

I still repeat - he has been a breath of fresh air to this division and has took the quality of football to another level.

I watched quite a lot of Championship football over the previous two seasons, and I'm not sure about this. Leeds this season are not much better than last IMO. Their players are that little bit more experienced and Bielsa's tactics and fitness regime has given their game a bit of an edge, but if their team was in the Championship last season I don't think they would be top 2.

I also don't see how Bielsa has been any more of a breath of fresh air then Jokanovic or Nuno were last season, both who got their teams playing decent football.

IMO if the Wolves team of last year were in it this time, they would win it again, and Leeds would be second best to at least one from Fulham and Cardiff if their teams were back in it, and they would also possibly (with the way they played in the second half of the season) finish behind Villa as well.

This season Villa have regressed, and so have Derby, who were in the play-offs last time, while Middlesbrough have stagnated (yet still sit in the top 6, which is telling). 2 of the relegated teams have also been average or downright poor, while even we have had our blips and struggled to maintain consistency. Overall the division is much weaker than last year, IMO.

It's also no coincidence that Sheffield Utd are up there despite having almost exactly the same squad as last season as well as the same manager, and why there are so many teams bunched together from 5th down to 15th. It is competitive this year due to a lack of overall quality.

I maintain that if we sign a replacement for Barnes, and keep our first XI fit, we will finish top 2 this season. The latter is going to be more important than the former.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2580 on: January 17, 2019, 06:51:06 PM »
All so subjective, will boil down to how much the big 6 fear a resurgent leeds and their fanbase.

Judging by the way other 'sleeping giants' such as Newcastle and West Ham fare overall, probably not very much at all!  :D

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2581 on: January 18, 2019, 08:39:30 AM »
I'm not sure you can have a watertight security system that stops other teams spying on your training sessions.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of the very affluent teams don't have paid agents inside their main rivals' coaching set up.  Punishing the team that does it openly would seem unfair.

BTW watched Derby yesterday and I was impressed with their movement and slick passing.  They are fortunate in that Lampard has used his contacts at Chelsea to bring in some talented youngsters such as Tomori, Wilson, Mount...  wonder if Jones can use his contacts in Belgium  :D

I wonder if this is why Bielsa has taken the blame, to try and deflect any blame away from the club?

Just a small point but Harry Wilson is on loan from Liverpool not Chelsea, he was on loan at Hull City last season.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2582 on: January 18, 2019, 08:00:21 PM »
Norwich 1-0 up

Not good start for us

As I type 1-1 cracking game this
O Albion we love you

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2583 on: January 18, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »
Norwich 1-0 up

Not good start for us

As I type 1-1 cracking game this

Just as Birmingham building some momentum and looking dangerous on counter Norwich make it 2-1
O Albion we love you

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2584 on: January 18, 2019, 08:12:57 PM »
3-1 almost 4-1
Birmingham can't defend for any love of money neither can Norwich.
We missed out last week
O Albion we love you

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2585 on: January 18, 2019, 08:34:52 PM »
Half time 3-1 third goal knocked stuffing out of Birmingham. Can't see them doing us a favour
O Albion we love you

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2586 on: January 18, 2019, 08:48:31 PM »
Interesting side Norwich.

20 year old Jamal Lewis from their academy playing left back.
19 year old Max Aarons from their academy playing right back (although he was taken from Luton at 16)
20 year old Todd Cantwell......from their academy.....brought on in first half in midfield.

When you consider they have let Maddison go last year, and they can still field 3 academy kids in a promotion challenging side, it’s hard not to be impressed. Unheralded academy as well really, and yet they seem to have found a formula to progress players from youth team to first team football.

They also have 21 year old Ben Godfrey, bought from York when he was 18/19 currently at centre back.

The rest of their squad generally seem to be players bought very cheaply from the continent, primarily Germany, although top scorer Pukki was a free from Norway.

If we were neutrals, you would root for Norwich who are doing everything the right way.
Boing Boing

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2587 on: January 18, 2019, 08:53:13 PM »
This score line underlines the importance of us finding a quality replacement for Harvey Barnes sooner than later. We just cannot afford the gap at the top to get even wider. Frankly, however, I just can’t see us splashing the cash. It isn’t West Brom’s way.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2588 on: January 18, 2019, 09:35:34 PM »
Norwich haven't had to get out of 2nd gear...

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2589 on: January 18, 2019, 10:23:28 PM »
Autos just look a bit too difficult right now. Sad as it is to say.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2590 on: January 18, 2019, 11:03:46 PM »
Autos just look a bit too difficult right now. Sad as it is to say.

Why? Win our game in hand at Bolton and the gap is back to 3 points. Norwich have games against Sheffield Utd and Leeds coming up. There's still a long way to go.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2591 on: January 19, 2019, 02:09:42 AM »
Why? Win our game in hand at Bolton and the gap is back to 3 points. Norwich have games against Sheffield Utd and Leeds coming up. There's still a long way to go.

Automatics are still within reach, 1st place will be a damn site harder than second mind you. All starts by winning at Bolton.

Norwich have got Sheffield united at home Leeds away then the local derby so have plenty of scope to slip up. Leeds have; stoke away (tomorrow) Rotherham away Norwich at home then boro away. Stoke need a result or else the new manager will really be under pressure. Leeds and Norwich both can't win that one game and boro away is a horrible trip.

Sheffield united have Swansea away (tomorrow) Norwich away Bolton at home then villa away (can they keep not winning?) followed by boro at home.

Norwich with 3 today might get 3-6 more points out that next run. I predict 5
Sheff united  6-9 for the next 4 games I predict 7
Leeds I think will get 8 from there 12.

So by all this It would suggest we need max points out next 4. Which we have 2 hard home games v boro and forest and a trip to villa park in that. So I don't think it will be likely that we will catch up much ground. We might draw level with Norwich and Sheffield united if we're lucky. It's about not falling further back over our nasty run and giving it hell and leather for the final run and seeing if that's enough.

Let's say 90 points is automatic. We have 19 left so can get 57 points. We need 43 more so we in theory can only drop 14 points. Leeds need 36 so can drop 21 points. Norwich need 37 and can drop 17 points. Sheffield 40 points can drop 17 points.

However you break it down we are far from favourites. We really need to go on a hell of a winning streak or we will be in the play off lottery

O Albion we love you

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2592 on: January 19, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »
We don’t need a hell of a win streak, it’s only three points. However we need to start getting more from what we have, which Leeds, Norwich and Sheffield United are all doing.

The point about Leeds being on another level is a joke too. There’s been a number of far better sides in this division over the years. Newcastle, Fulham, Wolves, reading, even charlton and forest in my mind have all have sides that have dominated.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2593 on: January 19, 2019, 09:56:06 AM »
You could argue that they are top because of their managers cheating.
You never know they might be deducted points.
No problem watching your opponents playing each other, but you don't spy on their training on their own property.
The nasty club,I remember the Don Revie era.
What goes around .......

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2594 on: January 19, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
37mins
Vile 0-2 Hull

Early days  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2595 on: January 19, 2019, 03:57:50 PM »
HT Vile 1-2 Hull
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2596 on: January 19, 2019, 04:37:24 PM »
73 mins
Vile 2-2 Hull
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2597 on: January 19, 2019, 04:53:18 PM »
Stoke 2-0 Leeds - Doing us a favour
Middlesbrough 1-1 Milwall - 89th min Penalty scored for boro...
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2598 on: January 19, 2019, 04:58:13 PM »
Stoke beat Leeds 2-1. A win in Monday night will move us back within 4 points off top spot.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2599 on: January 19, 2019, 04:59:30 PM »
FT
Vile 2-2 Hull
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部