Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668037 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #950 on: December 12, 2019, 06:38:56 PM »
Some people moaning about him but i thought he was unlucky with the goal. Nobody mentioned the Wigan goalie!.

Wigan keeper isn't our problem, terrible mistake. He is the first opposition keeper I've seen this season who I wouldn't prefer to SJ.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #951 on: December 12, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »

Wigan keeper isn't our problem, terrible mistake. He is the first opposition keeper I've seen this season who I wouldn't prefer to SJ.

I now know why I quickly skip past your posts.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #952 on: December 14, 2019, 04:25:47 PM »

Disappointing 2nd goal to concede, I would expect most goalkeepers to get to that.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #953 on: December 14, 2019, 04:30:18 PM »
Disappointing 2nd goal to concede, I would expect most goalkeepers to get to that.

I have defended SJ, but I have to say today, I thought he could have done better with both their goals
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #954 on: December 14, 2019, 04:34:36 PM »
Very poor again today. Won in spite of him, 2nd goal looks particularly bad.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #955 on: December 14, 2019, 04:42:57 PM »
Not just his inconsistent shot stopping nor his poor catching and judgement from distance, but the total lack of presence in his area. He is a nightmare for defenders who have not got a clue if he is going to come or if he has a shot covered or not. It then becomes the defenders responsibility to deal with situations the keeper should be taking charge of, and mistakes are never far away.  I am not saying he is useless, he does make some excellent saves, but a steady keeper who can develop and work as a team wth his defenders would I am sure result in far more clean sheets than we are getting at present and would make us far more difficult to scor against generally

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #956 on: December 14, 2019, 05:19:25 PM »
I thought he could have done more for the 2nd goal. I think it took a bit of a funny trajectory though as I think Townsend got something on it which seemed to give it more of a looping trajectory plus Ferguson was jumping for the ball just in front of him.

Sometimes I wish he had a bit more urgency in his body language.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #957 on: December 14, 2019, 05:24:35 PM »
Not just his inconsistent shot stopping nor his poor catching and judgement from distance, but the total lack of presence in his area. He is a nightmare for defenders who have not got a clue if he is going to come or if he has a shot covered or not. It then becomes the defenders responsibility to deal with situations the keeper should be taking charge of, and mistakes are never far away.  I am not saying he is useless, he does make some excellent saves, but a steady keeper who can develop and work as a team wth his defenders would I am sure result in far more clean sheets than we are getting at present and would make us far more difficult to scor against generally

Agree with all of this. His distribution is very good but everything else is very poor. He's a nightmare and we have to replace him in the summer if we are in the PL.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #958 on: December 14, 2019, 05:41:03 PM »
Both goals today, rather than coming and commanding his box, he backed off so much he was in his own net. Doesn't have the guts or presence to be a top keeper.
Good save first half though.
We need better.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #959 on: December 14, 2019, 05:43:37 PM »
This is a recurring theme on this board.
Hean have good games and then blows it completely by making absolute howlers.
Hes a bog standard Championship goalkeeper.
We must look to replace him.
The defence don't seem to understand what he wants.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #960 on: December 14, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »
Should've saved the second goal for me. Townsend was awful today and was beaten to the header but it was from far enough out, not overly powerful, Sam has to get across and stop that.

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #961 on: December 14, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »
Johnstone is a shot stopper, he has made some incredible saves, particularly from close range, both recent games I went to Preston and Wigan he saved us points.However, he does appear to have a problem with long shots. Whether it’s because the ball is moving I don’t know.
Also, we are particularly suspect at set pieces. That may be because we appear to zonal mark for corners etc (which I find great difficulty in understanding) why we don’t match up there most dangerous players at set pieces with ours - instead we end up, like today with Blues exploiting a total mismatch with Townsend marking there best player at set pieces and the ball ends up in the back of the net?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #962 on: December 14, 2019, 06:20:30 PM »
Livermore was picking up Jutowic at corners today. 

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #963 on: December 14, 2019, 06:21:40 PM »
Livermore was picking up Jutowic at corners today.
Why? Had Jutowic fell over?  :P   Soz.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #964 on: December 14, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »
I know somebody who's been on the cooking sherry again  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #965 on: December 14, 2019, 06:31:06 PM »
I know somebody who's been on the cooking sherry again  ;D
You can actually cook with it?
Now there's an idea.
Sprouts tossed in sherry.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #966 on: December 14, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »
Very poor again today. Won in spite of him, 2nd goal looks particularly bad.

VAR would have disallowed the 2nd goal surely has from the 1st corner there player used his hands on Livamores shoulders to win the header but i must agree SJ should have saved the goal.
SJ has made some big strides this season but he needs to controll cross's in his 6yd box & not just stand on his line.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #967 on: December 15, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »
VAR would have disallowed the 2nd goal surely has from the 1st corner there player used his hands on Livamores shoulders to win the header but i must agree SJ should have saved the goal.
SJ has made some big strides this season but he needs to controll cross's in his 6yd box & not just stand on his line.

We're not subject to VAR and by the time we are, with any luck, Sam Johnstone will be a distant memory.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #968 on: December 15, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »
Not that it really matters, but I don’t think VAR would have ruled it out. I suspect a new corner is a new phase of play and so they wouldn’t even look.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #969 on: December 15, 2019, 09:31:30 AM »
Johnstone is a shot stopper, he has made some incredible saves, particularly from close range, both recent games I went to Preston and Wigan he saved us points.However, he does appear to have a problem with long shots. Whether it’s because the ball is moving I don’t know.
Also, we are particularly suspect at set pieces. That may be because we appear to zonal mark for corners etc (which I find great difficulty in understanding) why we don’t match up there most dangerous players at set pieces with ours - instead we end up, like today with Blues exploiting a total mismatch with Townsend marking there best player at set pieces and the ball ends up in the back of the net?
I think Bilic said earlier that the zonal marking makes it easier to break forward if/when we get the ball with players in their "regular" positions

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #970 on: December 15, 2019, 10:28:44 AM »
Our problem with zonal marking is that SJ does not control his zone. Except perhaps the bit along the white line between the sticks, and sometimes not even all of that bit

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #971 on: December 15, 2019, 11:53:32 AM »

Don't think VAR would have changed the outcome of the 2nd goal. The foul occurred led to a corner whichnisn't reviewable and as this is a new phase or reset, we can't go back to review it once the goal is scored.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #972 on: December 15, 2019, 01:07:48 PM »
Don't think VAR would have changed the outcome of the 2nd goal. The foul occurred led to a corner whichnisn't reviewable and as this is a new phase or reset, we can't go back to review it once the goal is scored.

Not 100% sure of the phase 1 or 2 thing works if im being honest but surley there wouldnt have been a phase 2 if the foul in phase 1 had been seen by the ref.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #973 on: December 16, 2019, 11:43:10 PM »
Both goals today, rather than coming and commanding his box, he backed off so much he was in his own net. Doesn't have the guts or presence to be a top keeper.
Good save first half though.
We need better.
>:( Yes I have the same feeling...you have to command your 6 yard area and let your defenders know this. I felt the 2nd goal he was backing into his own net making a save impossible. I think he is a good keeper,but needs to get a few of those balls in the 6 yard area.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #974 on: December 17, 2019, 12:53:46 PM »
I am constantly torn about the guy. There is absolutely no doubt he has made vital point winning saves (several away games) this season. Equally so the poor displays continue to haunt him; Birmingham on Saturday being a prime example.