Author Topic: eric clapton  (Read 13926 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: eric clapton
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 08:58:35 AM »
do you reckon he takes her up the Albion?

would you take her up the albion
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 09:03:42 AM »
I must be getting old,who are Liam & Cheryl?
Ive no idea who they are.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 09:41:39 AM »
I must be getting old,who are Liam & Cheryl?
Ive no idea who they are.
You'll wish you never asked but basically it's the vacuous coupling of Cheryl Cole (or whatever she calls herself these days) and Liam Payne from boyband One Direction.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the info mate,your right I wish I hadn't asked.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 07:33:08 AM »
Digging up a very old thread!

Just watched a BBC documentary over the weekend about the great man and thrilled to see him wearing an Albion scarf in a photo with a fellow musician. Hard to say what time period it was but probably late seventies or early eighties. He clearly retains an attachment to the club as evidenced by his appearance at the Man U game in December 2016.

Can anyone add any more reliable evidence of his fondness towards us such as how it began since he is a Londoner (some suggestion it was Steve Winwood's influence when part of Blind Faith) and particularly did he actually approach the club many years ago about a potential investment?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 07:52:24 AM »
I knew Clapton was an Albion fan. From memory there was a spoof interview with Clapton in the fanzine Grorty Dick in the late 80/early 90''s. All I remember of it was a page of meaningless questions and then he was it was put to him that he was a multi millionaire, had a huge worldwide following, and was a baggies fan, so would he like to put some money into the club? You turn the page over and his answer was 'no'...….

All very amusing and I know it was light hearted but he is apparently, a baggie. A quick google will inform you that he has an Albion scarf draped over a settee on the back cover of his album Backless. I don't ever remember him being at the Hawthorns though, and I am sure we would know.
MAGA!

bigcyrille

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2019, 09:25:24 AM »
In the 1979 Centenary brochure, Clapton took out a full page 'ad' with a photo of himself in an Albion shirt and a personalized message to the players, signing himself off as their greatest fan..or words to the effect. No question he was, at that time at least, a Baggie.

I'll try and dig it out of my loft and post a pic. It was bought for me by an Aunt when I was a whippersnapper  :D
A cherished possession!   

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
Wasn’t he born in the Stourbridge area which is a big Baggies stronghold?

I think at one time, quiet a few years ago now, our board tried to encourage him to invest in the club, but he declined. So, he couldn’t have loved us that much. Given his money and position, if it were me, I would have.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »
I read his autobiography a LONG time, (it was a dire read as I recall). He has spent fortunes on drug and drink rehab resources in Antigua if I recall correctly, should be applauded for this (if its not for the elite).
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 11:30:59 AM »
I knew Clapton was an Albion fan. From memory there was a spoof interview with Clapton in the fanzine Grorty Dick in the late 80/early 90''s. All I remember of it was a page of meaningless questions and then he was it was put to him that he was a multi millionaire, had a huge worldwide following, and was a baggies fan, so would he like to put some money into the club? You turn the page over and his answer was 'no'...….

All very amusing and I know it was light hearted but he is apparently, a baggie. A quick google will inform you that he has an Albion scarf draped over a settee on the back cover of his album Backless. I don't ever remember him being at the Hawthorns though, and I am sure we would know.

Yes I knew about the album sleeve but this documentary showed him actually donning our scarf with Albion clearly visible.
Here is the link to the more recent Man U game in 2016, I trust the Birmingham Mail got it right!

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/eric-clapton-definitely-west-brom-12346116

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 11:54:26 AM »
I read his autobiography a LONG time, (it was a dire read as I recall). He has spent fortunes on drug and drink rehab resources in Antigua if I recall correctly, should be applauded for this (if its not for the elite).

it's not just for the elite, he mentioned it in the documentary that was aired on Friday night.

I like Yardbirds, Blues Breakers, Cream and Blind Faith stuff but find most of the rest of his stuff dull. No doubt he is an exceptional guitarist but his playing lacks soul... it's blues by numbers (IMO).
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2019, 05:53:03 PM »

I think at one time, quiet a few years ago now, our board tried to encourage him to invest in the club, but he declined. So, he couldn’t have loved us that much. Given his money and position, if it were me, I would have.
Sounds like he uses his head though? I to mirror your thoughts.
But to make money out of a football club or even not end up bankrupt.Takes a certain type?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »

According to Wikipedia, born in Surrey- so a soft southerner like me  :)
Except, I can vouch to have made the trek up to the Hawthorns probably a couple hundred more times.
Actually, as a guitarist I think he's overrated. At any rate, sounds a novice compared to the world's best, Jan Akkerman.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2019, 10:59:43 PM »
it's not just for the elite, he mentioned it in the documentary that was aired on Friday night.

I like Yardbirds, Blues Breakers, Cream and Blind Faith stuff but find most of the rest of his stuff dull. No doubt he is an exceptional guitarist but his playing lacks soul... it's blues by numbers (IMO).
  >:( Sorry you need to update your musical ear. Blues music is played beautifully by "Slowhands" he was also one of the best guitarists in the world in his hey-day. Each to his own, I guess,but give me Cream,Blind Faith and the Dominoes any day. :D

chippyclarke

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 11:25:56 PM »
Except, I can vouch to have made the trek up to the Hawthorns probably a couple hundred more times.
Actually, as a guitarist I think he's overrated. At any rate, sounds a novice compared to the world's best, Jan Akkerman.
A good Surrey man like myself (less of the southern softy!). Born in Ripley, lives at Hurtwood near Cranleigh.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2019, 07:18:03 AM »

Last time I checked Eric was known all around the world and sells out auditoriums within hours, I don't think Jan does......and there is a reason for that ;D

But it is all down to individual taste. Clapton in Cream was excellent, some of the live material from then is superb, but I am not really a fan of his solo work. For the record as a guitarist [and composer] I love Neil Young, and I saw a young Eddie Van Halen at the Birmingham Odeon once supporting Sabbath and he was unbelievable to watch - copied by millions since. 
MAGA!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 08:14:50 AM »

Eric Patrick Clapton was born on 30 March 1945 in his grandparents' home at 1 The Green, Ripley, Surrey, England. He was the son of 16-year-old Patricia Molly Clapton (b. 7 January 1929, d. March 1999) and Edward Walter Fryer (b.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2019, 08:16:29 AM »
Does anyone know, now that it’s established he’s from Surrey, how he formed his attachment to Albion?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2019, 08:20:18 AM »
Does anyone know, now that it’s established he’s from Surrey, how he formed his attachment to Albion?

maybe because of our mid to late seventies success, or even the cup win in 68, quite a few folk tag along on the back of

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
Before we get too carried away about celebrating 'famous' fans, we should remember that some do come with baggage.

"It was 5 August 1976 and Eric Clapton was drunk, angry and on stage at the Birmingham Odeon. 'Enoch was right,' he told the audience, 'I think we should send them all back.' Britain was, he complained, in danger of becoming 'a black colony' and a vote for controversial Tory politician Enoch Powell whom he described as a prophet was needed to 'keep Britain white'. "

Good job that the parents of Nathan Ferguson, Kyle Edwards et al were not influenced by Eric's outpourings.....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/apr/20/popandrock.race

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 11:03:39 AM »
Love him yet hate him.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »
Before we get too carried away about celebrating 'famous' fans, we should remember that some do come with baggage.

"It was 5 August 1976 and Eric Clapton was drunk, angry and on stage at the Birmingham Odeon. 'Enoch was right,' he told the audience, 'I think we should send them all back.' Britain was, he complained, in danger of becoming 'a black colony' and a vote for controversial Tory politician Enoch Powell whom he described as a prophet was needed to 'keep Britain white'. "

Good job that the parents of Nathan Ferguson, Kyle Edwards et al were not influenced by Eric's outpourings.....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/apr/20/popandrock.race
This is true, but Eric Clapton has spent a lot of time apologising for this outburst when he was high and drunk.  Really poor, but I would not condemn anyone for one comment over a lifetime, especially not given the circumstances.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:03:53 PM by MarkW »

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »
The country in 1976 was a completely different place. As Norfolk has pointed out, he has spent the time ever since apologising.

I am sure he does not have that mindset today.

We all do silly things when we are drunk, I have proposed twice...… :(
MAGA!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 11:38:23 AM »
I think to be a judge of musicians you need to have played a little at least, those people I know who fall into this category talk of Eddie van Halen, Joe Satriani, Stevie ray vaughn, David Gilmore & Jeff Beck in reverential tones.

from my completely uneducated view, Hendrix, Neil young, Gilmore & EvH would be right up there
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 01:02:00 PM »
This is true, but Eric Clapton has spent a lot of time apologising for this outburst when he was high and drunk.  Really poor, but I would not condemn anyone for one comment over a lifetime, especially not given the circumstances.

You may have stumbled on the actual reason he started sporting an Albion scarf. Public Image?  :o
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.