Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 676648 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #1075 on: July 11, 2020, 10:36:19 PM »
HRK a striker? He has one good try about every 10 matches.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1076 on: July 11, 2020, 10:40:57 PM »
Overachieved as is by his scouting of good wingers and attacking midfielders krovonovic periera diangana etc.

We have one of the weakest strike forces in the league and a pretty average keeper. How we have even got in the running for the title and promotion with charlie Austin and HRK as our main strikers.

Exactly, excellent effort to be in the running for automatic promotion all season, particularly with so much turnover of the playing squad and all of last season's goals from Barnes, Gayle and J-Rod being taken out of the team. Now of course we need to keep our mettle and get across the line. Nothing really matters apart from Tuesday. Draw or win and then we can win the last two. It's going be a very nervous 11 days potentially. Thank god the games are coming thick and fast.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1077 on: July 11, 2020, 11:00:17 PM »
Exactly, excellent effort to be in the running for automatic promotion all season, particularly with so much turnover of the playing squad and all of last season's goals from Barnes, Gayle and J-Rod being taken out of the team. Now of course we need to keep our mettle and get across the line. Nothing really matters apart from Tuesday. Draw or win and then we can win the last two. It's going be a very nervous 11 days potentially. Thank god the games are coming thick and fast.

Yeah it’s been a real big positive, the fixtures come around so quickly. Doesn’t leave too much time to dwell on the previous result. Fulham at home on Tuesday is now the biggest game of the season. I hope it’ll along be remembered for the right reasons, fingers crossed.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1078 on: July 11, 2020, 11:03:05 PM »
He hasn’t failed yet and let’s hope we don’t. However if we dont get top two, let’s not make out like getting close will be some grand achievement.

Throwing away such a great advantage will be a disaster and a massive failure. Our form since December has been awful.

We haven’t dropped points because teams have better players or ability (in most cases) and if we had that would be ok. .

We’ve dropped points because of things the manager should be affecting. 

sayer3

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1079 on: July 12, 2020, 02:51:58 AM »
Yeah it’s been a real big positive, the fixtures come around so quickly. Doesn’t leave too much time to dwell on the previous result. Fulham at home on Tuesday is now the biggest game of the season. I hope it’ll along be remembered for the right reasons, fingers crossed.

Bilic is as good a manager we could get in this division if we don’t go up we should 100% keep him

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1080 on: July 12, 2020, 04:35:32 AM »
For all his fantastic tactical decisions he seriously drops some clangers. Now is the time for him to earn his wage.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1081 on: July 12, 2020, 07:55:40 AM »
He hasn’t failed yet and let’s hope we don’t. However if we dont get top two, let’s not make out like getting close will be some grand achievement.

Throwing away such a great advantage will be a disaster and a massive failure. Our form since December has been awful.

We haven’t dropped points because teams have better players or ability (in most cases) and if we had that would be ok. .

We’ve dropped points because of things the manager should be affecting.
Totally agree, however the minute you question him you are accused of being short sighted, wanting him out  and asked “who’s better”
I think he’s ok....but he’s made and repeated some clear errors....we have had more than enough opportunity to have this all sorted with games to spare.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1082 on: July 12, 2020, 08:14:54 AM »
Totally agree, however the minute you question him you are accused of being short sighted, wanting him out  and asked “who’s better”
I think he’s ok....but he’s made and repeated some clear errors....we have had more than enough opportunity to have this all sorted with games to spare.

Bilic is not beyond criticism however the question “who’s better” is always relevant, and more to the point who that’s an improvement is likely to want to join.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1083 on: July 12, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
Bilic is not beyond criticism however the question “who’s better” is always relevant, and more to the point who that’s an improvement is likely to want to join.

The "who's better" question is a bit crappy really, it's relative and it comes down to opinion and interpretation.

I'm sure it could be argued that Daniel Farke, Chris Wilder, Thomas Frank (three examples) would all have been lower down the list of potential head coaches than Slaven Bilic at the start of the previous season but I'm sure fans of their respective clubs will argue they are "better".

I've never once said Bilic should be sacked but there does seem to be some sort of fear amongst some of our fans about life without him.

That fear is irrational, there are others around that can succeed with us just like there are better footballers in the world than Matheus Pereira.

I think fans can be insular in their thoughts at times.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1084 on: July 12, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
We moan about lack of player loyalty and then don't apply those same principles elsewhere, Slav is on a two year contract to get us promoted and that's what he should have.
Baggie in Southampton

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1085 on: July 12, 2020, 09:56:42 AM »
I have been behind Slaven from day 1 and I still am to this day. For me, he is more than just what happens on the pitch - it's his leadership and philosophy. He is someone I believe in and the players do too.

The fact he continues to play sub-standard players in Bartley and Kanu is a shame, but no-one is perfect ay.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1086 on: July 12, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »
Slav has done a fantastic job. Don't forget Bielsa and Frank have had a year head start.
BOING BOING

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1087 on: July 12, 2020, 10:24:15 AM »
I don't know what to think. I read the post match comments and player threads and the players seem to be terrible. I read this thread and the coach who has somehow managed to guide them to 2nd place in the league doesn't know what he is doing.

Is Bilic beyond criticism? No. Is everything that happens on the pitch his fault? No. However this season turns out could things have been worse? Absolutely.

Going forward is Bilic the right man for the job?  That depends on what the job is. If we get promoted and you want to stay in the Premier League at all costs then sack him the day after we get promotion. Recruit an arch pragmatist and tool up the squad for a deep sitting block get rid of those players that want the ball and get some absolute beasts in.

Bilic has always been a high variance coach. Look at West Ham under Bilic but also look at West Ham post Bilic the dial has barely moved. I am guessing that West Ham under Bilic might have been more likely to be relegated but watching them scratch their way to 30 odd points under Moyes is torture. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1088 on: July 12, 2020, 10:38:53 AM »
Bilic has done very well this season. Yes he got the subs completely wrong yesterday but you have to blame poor finishing for not winning the game. A decent striker in this side and we’d have been promoted by now.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1089 on: July 12, 2020, 11:29:46 AM »
Bilic has done very well this season. Yes he got the subs completely wrong yesterday but you have to blame poor finishing for not winning the game. A decent striker in this side and we’d have been promoted by now.

If Diangana hadn't miskicked an air shot with open goal we would have won 2-1 and Bilic would have been hailed for his substitution. Bilic has done an amazing job getting a tune out of very average players like HRK. We have also played a lot of good football and scored a lot of goals, without having a quality striker to call on. Going into the season we weren't favourites for an automatic place. Let's pray we play well and get the breaks on Tuesday - we need a bit of luck.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1090 on: July 12, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »
I would not consider replacing him, whether we go up or not. He’s is being criticised for poor substitutions yesterday, maybe they were. For me this is not the point about yesterday. Look no further than the 5 clear misses the team shared yesterday for the reason we didn’t win. I would also argue that a draw was not a bad result. I think the man has done very well, especially since we lost almost 60 goals from the team that’s still failed last year (Gayle, JRod and Barnes)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1091 on: July 12, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
I actually think that Slaven has put too much pressure on himself, think he should take a day off and let his coaching staff take training come back refreshed and focused for Fulham.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1092 on: July 12, 2020, 09:23:38 PM »
I don’t need to be an expert to see and mention the errors
I do need to be an expert to be able to scout and interview the relevant replacement when the time comes.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1093 on: July 12, 2020, 09:28:55 PM »
I don’t need to be an expert to see and mention the errors
I do need to be an expert to be able to scout and interview the relevant replacement when the time comes.

Then would you agree our chances of securing a better replacement are likely to be reduced with what will Likely be a reduced budget.

There’s also the compensation we would have to pay to Bilic and his coaches.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1094 on: July 12, 2020, 10:10:05 PM »
Then would you agree our chances of securing a better replacement are likely to be reduced with what will Likely be a reduced budget.

There’s also the compensation we would have to pay to Bilic and his coaches.
Money isn’t everything
Ollie Burke or Grosiki?

It would very much depend on what the strategy was and who the board felt would be best placed to deliver .

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1095 on: July 13, 2020, 05:22:08 AM »
If we are not promoted does Bilic go elsewhere?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1096 on: July 13, 2020, 08:48:04 AM »

No, 2 year project.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1097 on: July 13, 2020, 08:55:04 AM »

I would just point out that this is Bielsa’s 3rd attempt at promotion. Previous 2 attempts his team collapsed after being top 2 for most of season.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1098 on: July 13, 2020, 09:17:43 AM »

I would just point out that this is Bielsa’s 3rd attempt at promotion. Previous 2 attempts his team collapsed after being top 2 for most of season.

Yes, but they usually start to collapse with about 10 games to go. 3rd time lucky for Leeds this season, sadly.

I don't think Bilic will go anywhere if we don't get promoted and nor should he. He signed a 2 year deal with the aim of getting us promoted and I'm sure he'd stick around to try and achieve that.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 09:19:32 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1099 on: July 13, 2020, 10:09:54 AM »
Yes, but they usually start to collapse with about 10 games to go. 3rd time lucky for Leeds this season, sadly.

I don't think Bilic will go anywhere if we don't get promoted and nor should he. He signed a 2 year deal with the aim of getting us promoted and I'm sure he'd stick around to try and achieve that.

I certainly want him to stay regardless. Watching his style of football compared to the vast majority of dross we have had to endure over the past few years is a pleasure......
MAGA!