Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 670594 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #575 on: January 20, 2020, 10:21:28 PM »
But what else can he do really?! There's a couple of arguments like Austin>Zohore & why change shape after 90 seconds but he can't help the injuries to Diangana, Gibbs and Ferguson.

Some of the existing squad was awful quite frankly. Townsend is woeful.
We don't have to leave huge gaps between the CB's and full backs , they are miles away from the first whistle and its a regular thing .For Johnstone's faults we are exposed game after game , too weak and too easy to score against . Poor goals mostly too.
Livermore and especially Sawyers have dipped yet are untouchable .
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:23:21 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #576 on: January 20, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »
But what else can he do really?! There's a couple of arguments like Austin>Zohore & why change shape after 90 seconds but he can't help the injuries to Diangana, Gibbs and Ferguson.

Some of the existing squad was awful quite frankly. Townsend is woeful.

He can freshen it up. He is playing the same players the same way despite it not working.

Best performance since the Swansea game (our most complete one of the season) was charlton in the cup. Livermore needs dropping both barry and harper played well that game. Phillip's off form why not try brunt or give Edward's a run
O Albion we love you

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #577 on: January 20, 2020, 10:29:00 PM »
I think Slav is getting a bit of unjust stick. I think we've overachieved massively especially when you look at the strikers at our disposal. We need to back him in this window.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #578 on: January 20, 2020, 10:32:50 PM »
Never been fully sold on Bilic , said that a few months back too .
I didn't and still don't think theres enough goals in our front three and midfield base to justify the 4 2 3 1 with a limited forward , it was always going to be a case of Phillips vanishing , Pereira doesn't have a record of scoring and Diang was a bit unknown .
Lone forward we are left with a slow Austin , Zohare doesn't look up to it and H.R.K is H.R.K even in a better bit of form.
Add that to full backs out of position and weak defending of set pieces it looks like Bilic has a half built side despite the good start.
Not convinced.

Agreed. I really want to be sold too, because I  really like him. I saw him referred to as BBC Bilic before He was appointed and I nervously laughed at it as I was worried he might be a better speaker than coach. A Neville you could say.

He does get spoken about as if he is a top manager and his record doesn’t really justify it. Same as his playing career, gets called an amazing player all the time but he wasn’t, realitively in a top division in top league. He was an average prem player.

I hope he can’t turn it around and I’m not writing him off yet, but he’s got to do something. Stop ******* wasting two players on corners too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:35:09 PM by johnny Cash »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #579 on: January 20, 2020, 10:33:45 PM »
I think Slav is getting a bit of unjust stick. I think we've overachieved massively especially when you look at the strikers at our disposal. We need to back him in this window.
Exactly , Bilic bases his teams around attacking midfielders and thats where he goes wrong .
Its strikers who get you up over 46 games

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #580 on: January 20, 2020, 10:34:09 PM »
What’s happened to the 1 touch football we played at the start of the season? All of them played the ball off and then stand there giving the guy on the ball nowhere to go and it ends up going backwards, the one time we did attempt a 1-2 we cut straight through Stoke with the Phillips flick to Pereira we then decide to go away from that tactic and start lumping aimless balls into the box.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #581 on: January 20, 2020, 10:35:16 PM »
Slaven better show his ruthless side and drop the likes  of Saywers, Phillips and Livermore.

ranvir wba90

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #582 on: January 20, 2020, 10:38:36 PM »
Need pace in the team. Willock n Tulloch need a chance. Dont know why Hegazi started. Sawyers/livermore off the boil. Need a left back, centre mid, striker, winger

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #583 on: January 20, 2020, 10:39:53 PM »
He can freshen it up. He is playing the same players the same way despite it not working.

Best performance since the Swansea game (our most complete one of the season) was charlton in the cup. Livermore needs dropping both barry and harper played well that game. Phillip's off form why not try brunt or give Edward's a run

Really good point, i enjoyed that game. It was against a weakened team though so needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. I'd say Barry deserves a chance in place of Livermore and Austin deserves to start.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #584 on: January 20, 2020, 10:46:17 PM »
Really good point, i enjoyed that game. It was against a weakened team though so needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. I'd say Barry deserves a chance in place of Livermore and Austin deserves to start.
Another thing with how Bilic plays , its so open Barry looked like he had concrete in his boots in his last starts .
Livermore just about gets away it , Hegazi gets exposed .
We really don't help ourselves.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #585 on: January 20, 2020, 10:46:33 PM »
If I recall we started the season playing a mixed bag which included quite a bit of ineffective football at times, Milwall at home stood out in particular. Then Diangana came on vs Luton and destroyed them, since then we kicked on; even the loss to Leeds was a very good performance in many ways.

I think it shows just how important Diangana is for us, he's not superman but I think he brings the heat off the likes of Perreira and Sawyers as the other teams defenders also have Diangana to bother with.
The results without him prove this to an extent.

It's a big period for Bilic, it's easy when you keep winning but he has to turn it round now and look at other options such as Harper and/or bringing in new players to freshen things up.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #586 on: January 20, 2020, 11:08:40 PM »
The squad needs reinforcements as were lacking options. Especially with Diangana injured. This side has been missing a striker all season - it is criminal that we spunked the budget on that lump Zohore - the fact HRK is our ‘star’ striker is damning. We’ve regressed so badly in that area.

My real annoyance at the moment is the lack of movement. There is just nothing happening. Everyone stood still, gazing at Pereria in hope he produces some magic.

Mind numbing, sideways rubbish with zero penetration 

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #587 on: January 20, 2020, 11:12:32 PM »
Right then

I’m not sold on him.....not anti him, but like on any subject I try and be fair

The keeper is atrocious ....how can billic and the management team not see that ?

O’Shea ...came on when Bartley got injured(because Hegazi had made an issue) he played well, his reward was bombed out the squad next match, hegazi started

Barnsley away....that day we tried Krov, pereira Barry and sawyers out wide at different stages during the game.....he left Edwards and Phillips as unused subs

Today....after setting up 451 and you would assume that we trained mainly with this all week, the left winger goes off after a couple of mins
Do you
A) replace like for like because you have a fast left winger available
B) send on a striker who despite getting v lucky and scoring twice looks woefully short and scared off the ball?

If I thought about it I could write many many more.....he worries me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:14:24 PM by zippyandbungle »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #588 on: January 20, 2020, 11:15:35 PM »
Why was Hegazi played in numerous times by Sawyers during game to pump ball up to one of the most ineffective forwards I've seen in stripes in years baffling.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #589 on: January 20, 2020, 11:22:06 PM »
Would still far rather a manager like Billic than, for example, a Michael ONeill.  I doubt O'Neill knows how to play any other way than compact defence in numbers and hope for a counter. Whereas I think Billic's instinct is to play attacking football and to choose flair players. Doesn't mean he won't make the odd mistake like choosing Zohore rather than
replacing Diangana with a wide player (Edwards).
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #590 on: January 20, 2020, 11:37:28 PM »
Would still far rather a manager like Billic than, for example, a Michael ONeill.  I doubt O'Neill knows how to play any other way than compact defence in numbers and hope for a counter. Whereas I think Billic's instinct is to play attacking football and to choose flair players. Doesn't mean he won't make the odd mistake like choosing Zohore rather than
replacing Diangana with a wide player (Edwards).
Odd mistake?
7 points from 9 games.....that would get Darren Moore sacked
No clean sheet at home...that should get the keeper sacked
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: January 20, 2020, 11:38:15 PM »
Giving Bilic the benefit of the doubt but in reality we haven't changed our style of play since Moore's tenure. Passing has no tempo or purpose with first instinct of player under pressure to play ball backwards or side ways

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #592 on: January 20, 2020, 11:41:52 PM »
There are many saying that we are desperate for “fresh faces” or “new signings”....maybe we should get a couple of deals done but , sometimes the answer is in front of your nose

Bond
Ferguson
Edwards
Krovinovic
O’Shea
Harper
All of which could and Should have been more involved over the festive period and/or not messed around for no good reason

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #593 on: January 20, 2020, 11:41:58 PM »
Right then

I’m not sold on him.....not anti him, but like on any subject I try and be fair

The keeper is atrocious ....how can billic and the management team not see that ?

O’Shea ...came on when Bartley got injured(because Hegazi had made an issue) he played well, his reward was bombed out the squad next match, hegazi started

Barnsley away....that day we tried Krov, pereira Barry and sawyers out wide at different stages during the game.....he left Edwards and Phillips as unused subs

Today....after setting up 451 and you would assume that we trained mainly with this all week, the left winger goes off after a couple of mins
Do you
A) replace like for like because you have a fast left winger available
B) send on a striker who despite getting v lucky and scoring twice looks woefully short and scared off the ball?

If I thought about it I could write many many more.....he worries me.

There have been a few notable strange choices and decisions in recent weeks , another you could point to is Austin who despite scoring some important goals now appears to be behind a bloke who couldn’t get on the bench a few weeks ago.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #594 on: January 20, 2020, 11:42:36 PM »
There have been a few notable strange choices and decisions in recent weeks , another you could point to is Austin who despite scoring some important goals now appears to be behind a bloke who couldn’t get on the bench a few weeks ago.
Yep
There is defiantly a weird ranking system going on

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #595 on: January 20, 2020, 11:46:34 PM »

Agree. Austin scored two at Blues and has barely figured in the league since. O'Shea came on as sub in another game didn't put a foot wrong and is bombed out again straight away. Diangana off after two mins tonight replaced by Zohore when we had Edward's available against a defence with 3 CH's in it.

Slaven is making some strange decisions at the moment.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #596 on: January 20, 2020, 11:47:06 PM »
Yep
There is defiantly a weird ranking system going on

I think he’s clutching at straws hoping for a positive outcome and searching even further when it doesn’t go his way . Tonight’s substitution was bizarre .

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #597 on: January 20, 2020, 11:48:31 PM »
There are many saying that we are desperate for “fresh faces” or “new signings”....maybe we should get a couple of deals done but , sometimes the answer is in front of your nose

Bond
Ferguson
Edwards
Krovinovic
O’Shea
Harper
All of which could and Should have been more involved over the festive period and/or not messed around for no good reason

This is spot on especially in Harpers case. Both livermore and Sawyers are beyond embarrassing at the moment.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #598 on: January 20, 2020, 11:51:01 PM »
Yes I would give Harper a chance. When is he back from injury though?

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #599 on: January 20, 2020, 11:51:30 PM »
This is spot on especially in Harpers case. Both livermore and Sawyers are beyond embarrassing at the moment.
Thank you sir

Bond
Furlong.  Semi.   O’Shea.   Ferguson

ORSIC.    Harper.   Krovinovic.  Edwards
                   Pereira
                    H.r.k

Not too bad a line up?