Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 676617 times)

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2019, 10:07:13 AM »
Yep, there is a complete deficit in shooting free kick takers.  If we assume Barry has gone and Phillips will go (1 year left on his contract) then it's a talent that is missing from our team... and the 1 remaining player with that talent (Brunt) is too old to play 90 minutes in most games ('because he'll have got 2 bookings by then!)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2019, 10:35:03 AM »
The game is supposed to be more technical these days, yet there is a shortage of players who can do basic things like take a free kick, head the ball or play with both feet. How about a winger continually skinning a back on the outside? Haven't seen that in years.
Pampered overpaid prima donnars that's what they are.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2019, 07:23:16 PM »
Does anyone know when slavs press conference is?

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2019, 08:09:51 PM »

Possibly next week. Matt Wilson did say that Slavs on holiday at the moment I think. I'll try and find the story.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2019, 09:40:00 AM »
The game is supposed to be more technical these days, yet there is a shortage of players who can do basic things like take a free kick, head the ball or play with both feet. How about a winger continually skinning a back on the outside? Haven't seen that in years.
Pampered overpaid prima donnars that's what they are.

Without wanting to go too off-topic, all these things still exist, it's just that the English game in particular has developed to play at such a fast pace that many players end up getting selected for their physical attributes rather than technical.

In terms of wingers, the old fashioned winter you refer to does still exist, but are less common because football is always evolving and systems and styles are constantly changing to out compete one another. You obviously know that old formations were akin to 2-3-5, and then you had the W-M and M-W formations which were the next progression. Managers are constantly look for where there is space on the pitch to be exploited, so while there may not be room on the outside for a winger, an inverted winger, wide 10, or inside forward may have more success, such as David Silva, Juan Mata, or Leo Messi.

The game changes, and you have to adapt to survive
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2019, 10:11:39 AM »
Matt Wilson Twitter Account

Slaven Bilic’s appointment last week led to a little surge in season ticket sales. Now more than 16,000 seats sold.

A couple of other tidbits in that piece. Dowling told sponsors this week that #wba are keen to keep Jay Rod (who has a £10m release clause) and Bilic wants to look at Gareth Barry once he returns from his knee injury

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/06/22/slaven-bilic-appointment-leads-to-surge-in-season-ticket-sales/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »

From Matt Wilson’s E&S article

“Bilic is due to be officially unveiled on Monday, the first day of pre-season, after meeting his new players in the morning.”
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2019, 10:37:59 AM »
Matt Wilson Twitter Account

Slaven Bilic’s appointment last week led to a little surge in season ticket sales. Now more than 16,000 seats sold.

A couple of other tidbits in that piece. Dowling told sponsors this week that #wba are keen to keep Jay Rod (who has a £10m release clause) and Bilic wants to look at Gareth Barry once he returns from his knee injury

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/06/22/slaven-bilic-appointment-leads-to-surge-in-season-ticket-sales/

Read this and my heart sank a little we really have to move on. Slaven you are 50 you can't have players you played against in your squad it is almost not natural.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2019, 10:42:23 AM »
I think the revelation that Albion are keen to hold on to Rodriguez should finally dispel this myth that the club are trying to run on the cheap.

The reality is that we have to be more careful about what we spend but that doesn't mean we can't still pay decent wages for this division. J Rod isn't on peanuts. It would also indicate the club realise they need to retain a level of experience amongst the playing staff while bringing in hopefully, fresh, younger talent.

All that is positive to me.

Personally I would like to see Hegazi and Rodriguez stay because that's experience in two areas of the team up front and in defence. It's important that the spine of the team has a level of experience and know how.

The likes of Dawson, Livermore, Gibbs, Robson - Kanu, Phillips I wouldn't be bothered about losing as long as we can bring in the replacements we need. Personally I'd let Gareth Barry go. He's 38 and had another knee operation. One step too far for me.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »
Read this and my heart sank a little we really have to move on. Slaven you are 50 you can't have players you played against in your squad it is almost not natural.

I think you may be reading too much into that Stan. A fit Barry is a good asset but we can't afford to carry players anymore.
Of course Bilic will want to look at him before deciding if he wants him, as he will with all our players.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2019, 11:39:51 AM »
Surely the issue with regards a player of GB’s age is not ability it’s pace/ stamina / durability, these issues are not likely to be evident when a”taking a look “ at the player.
This is where a head coach has to be supported by a strong medical team that can make recommendations based upon data
Let’s hope Slav will get the correct information to base a decision upon, and not “just take a look”
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »
Of course he will ask advice from the physio, take a look is just a short way of putting it. He will weigh up a lot of other things too, wages for one, can we afford a player who spends half the season out injured?
A fit Barry is a real boost to the club, but age works against us all i am afraid.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2019, 01:42:28 PM »
Could be he sees Barry as a leader/captain in a squad that is short in people of that ilk but needs to know if he will be able to be active in that role?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2019, 01:47:21 PM »
Was our best midfielder (Barnes apart) over the course of last season, for me would be massively dependant on wages as to have both Barry and Brunt competing for the same position (no competition to be honest as Brunt is not suited to that role) on big wages is a mistake when those wages could be used elsewhere.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2019, 02:06:02 PM »
Was our best midfielder (Barnes apart) over the course of last season, for me would be massively dependant on wages as to have both Barry and Brunt competing for the same position (no competition to be honest as Brunt is not suited to that role) on big wages is a mistake when those wages could be used elsewhere.

It clearly is competition because Brunt keeps on being picked there.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2019, 02:16:56 PM »

It clearly is competition because Brunt keeps on being picked there.

But it shouldn't be and its obvious to nearly all of us.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2019, 02:25:17 PM »
Don't mind Slaven having a look at Barry, Morrison who was a great signing would be a bridge to far. Keeping jrod seems sensible if we can't get Gayle.
Hope he utilises our blossoming youth academy before looking to get loan signings for pre season and season to come.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2019, 03:08:30 PM »
But it shouldn't be and its obvious to nearly all of us.

Who is it that doesn't see it...

I wouldn't be against Barry if we can get 20+ games out of him.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2019, 03:19:29 PM »
I don’t understand the automatic “No” in regards to Barry.

After Barnes he was our best midfield player last season.

Yes we can’t pay big wages but if we could manage Barry correctly and offered him a one year deal on say £15,000 a week I would say that’s good value for money.

Bilic has to at least have a look at him.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2019, 03:21:29 PM »
Don't mind Slaven having a look at Barry, Morrison who was a great signing would be a bridge to far. Keeping jrod seems sensible if we can't get Gayle.
Hope he utilises our blossoming youth academy before looking to get loan signings for pre season and season to come.

Hope Bilic gives some kids a chance but the most important thing is that they are good enough to step up to warrant a chance. No point him giving kids a go regularly if they are not good enough.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »
Who is it that doesn't see it...

I wouldn't be against Barry if we can get 20+ games out of him.

He's a class act who has lost his staminer for a full 90+ min game but not his pass our is head for the game. I would have him on a 12 month contract at a reduced pay with a bonus if he plays over x amount of games.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:22:07 AM by geoff »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
Hope Bilic gives some kids a chance but the most important thing is that they are good enough to step up to warrant a chance. No point him giving kids a go regularly if they are not good enough.
don't know what these youngsters have to do to get a run of games, some of the dross they got in on short term contracts or on loan didn't pull up many trees last season and what I've seen of our kids they wouldnt have been worse so I'd be hoping that they are given a fair chance.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2019, 09:40:00 AM »
Nice to see the images of him arriving this morning. Let's get down to business...

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2019, 10:23:21 AM »
Nice to see the images of him arriving this morning. Let's get down to business...

Welcome boss

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »
Has he held the scarf up yet? Kindly donated by Chairman Lai.