Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 670584 times)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2019, 03:11:45 PM »
Mark Noble - new captain  ;D

Looking at West Ham players he has managed before, we could do a lot worse than taking Sam Byram off their hands.

I'm sure he was on our radar before his initial move there, spent last season out on loan at Forest (made 9 appearances but I haven't looked into if injuries limited that). Bilic was the one who signed him at West Ham.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2019, 03:27:59 PM »
Looks like Julian Dicks is joining him! That will put a stop to any player power!!

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2019, 04:16:17 PM »
Looks like Julian Dicks is joining him! That will put a stop to any player power!!

Looking at his coaching career it doesn't add up to much - currently manager of Isthmian League North Division club Heybridge Swifts.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
Looking at his coaching career it doesn't add up to much - currently manager of Isthmian League North Division club Heybridge Swifts.

I don't think he will hired for his coaching skills ............  Just to keep the players in line !!!

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2019, 06:00:23 PM »
If he gets the right tools I reckon he could do the job as well as any other of the candidates in the frame, biggest problem is whether he will get those tools, but I am sure the fans will be behind him, we are not stupid and we know when a manager is not up to the job or he is being shafted by the club hierarchy and will let them know accordingly, but certainly a few more nights such as we had against the villa 2nd leg will not go amiss, if we can replicate that a few times at least we will be doing our bit

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2019, 06:01:33 PM »
He was a coach for Bilic during his stint at West Ham , clearly did enough for Slaven to give him the call again.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
If Julian isn't up to it at least we can all chant "Dicks out now!!"

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2019, 08:26:25 PM »
New article up on the official site:

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/june/bili-on-championship-ambitions-and-albion-traditions/

Bilić on Championship ambitions and Albion traditions

Slaven Bilić has made it clear he is relishing his first crack at a competition he describes as “the essence of football".

The 50-year-old Croatian was confirmed as Albion's new Head Coach on Thursday and, despite a career which has taken him all over Europe and to two European Championships at both club and international level, the season approaching will be his first taste of the Championship.

It is a division which he says has long fascinated him - “my friends will tell you it has been on my bucket list” - and the chance to take it on with the Baggies was hugely appealing.

Bilić said: “First of all, my friends know, and my fellow coaches know, not just here in Croatia but throughout Europe, that the Championship was always a competition that was on my bucket list.

“This is a common view and not just with me, I assure you. This is a view held by many coaches all over Europe.

“It is like the real essence of football; it is a proper league and when I get the chance to manage one of the strongest clubs in this division, it was an easy decision to make.

“I’ve played in England, I’ve managed in England. I know the club, I know West Bromwich Albion and its history, its traditions. I know their story.”

I'm hoping he means Goran has told him all about us  :P 8) Welcome Slav, bring it on!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »
If Julian isn't up to it at least we can all chant "Dicks out now!!"

This reminds me of Jacobs on talksport a couple of weeks ago when he said England have to get De Ko ck out when we were playing South Africa, very funny and definitely a man thing as the missus didn't find it funny.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2019, 09:47:16 PM »
My only concern is how he'll shape the squad. His transfer record at West Ham was quite poor. So it'll be an interesting summer, I'm certainly going to give him the benefit of the doubt though.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2019, 10:40:25 PM »
My only concern is how he'll shape the squad. His transfer record at West Ham was quite poor. So it'll be an interesting summer, I'm certainly going to give him the benefit of the doubt though.

Multiple sources/leaks suggest he had very little say over transfers at West Ham.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2019, 08:18:13 AM »
Welcome Slav.

Like the look of this appointment. He will add a much needed positive buzz around the place and hopefully shake things up where they are needed.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2019, 05:18:13 PM »
Need him in that office now as soon as possible to start shaping our squad
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:51:01 PM by MarkW »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2019, 06:01:01 PM »
Need him in that office now as soon as possible to start shaping our squad

“If he gets the job today he can't do much without the players here, who I understand are on holiday.
I would imagine he needs to assess the players, speak to them, outline his plan for the future then ask who's in and who's off.
Once he's done that he can see what he needs and who's available.
I would imagine that all other players are on holiday as well so he couldn't speak to proposed transfers.
I don't think there's any need to panic yet.”

That’s a bit of change from earlier  ;)

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2019, 06:33:34 PM »
New article up on the official site:

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/june/bili-on-championship-ambitions-and-albion-traditions/

Bilić on Championship ambitions and Albion traditions

Slaven Bilić has made it clear he is relishing his first crack at a competition he describes as “the essence of football".

The 50-year-old Croatian was confirmed as Albion's new Head Coach on Thursday and, despite a career which has taken him all over Europe and to two European Championships at both club and international level, the season approaching will be his first taste of the Championship.

It is a division which he says has long fascinated him - “my friends will tell you it has been on my bucket list” - and the chance to take it on with the Baggies was hugely appealing.

Bilić said: “First of all, my friends know, and my fellow coaches know, not just here in Croatia but throughout Europe, that the Championship was always a competition that was on my bucket list.

“This is a common view and not just with me, I assure you. This is a view held by many coaches all over Europe.

“It is like the real essence of football; it is a proper league and when I get the chance to manage one of the strongest clubs in this division, it was an easy decision to make.

“I’ve played in England, I’ve managed in England. I know the club, I know West Bromwich Albion and its history, its traditions. I know their story.”

We are Slaven's Bucket List Army!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2019, 09:01:43 PM »
That list PAILS into insignificance
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2019, 10:08:39 PM »
What's your handle?

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2019, 09:04:31 AM »
So Matt Wilson has said that we expect to announce 2 of Bilic’ backroom staff today, after appointments over the weekend. Any idea who these could be?

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2019, 10:19:23 AM »
Juilan Dicks will be one of them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:21:16 AM by smosher34 »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
Juilan Dicks will be one of them.
Can we bring him on just to take penalties?
What makes you think this? have they worked together before? Not heard of Dicks since he packed in playing to be honest. Wouldn't think he would suffer fools gladly though, unless he's mellowed as a coach.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2019, 03:57:26 PM »
I was hoping Bilic and the backroom staff would officially be unveiled today.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2019, 03:58:58 PM »
I was hoping Bilic and the backroom staff would officially be unveiled today.

He has commitments this week (holidays) and will be unveiled next week, I understand
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2019, 04:39:16 PM »
Dam European managers coming over here taking British manager's jobs  ;D
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2019, 07:47:22 PM »
Can we bring him on just to take penalties?
What makes you think this? have they worked together before? Not heard of Dicks since he packed in playing to be honest. Wouldn't think he would suffer fools gladly though, unless he's mellowed as a coach.
It was in the press last week. He was with Bilic at West Ham.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »
Julian Dicks manages Heybridge Swifts who play in the fifth division of the Isthmian League North. Can't see us matching their transfer budget or compo' demands. Time to move on to the next target before getting our hopes up, and as for landing that twenty plus goal striker of theirs we've got no chance.........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.