Author Topic: Team Formation etc. under Steve Clarke  (Read 42996 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Team Formation etc. under Steve Clarke
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
Yes there's been a lot of talk about signing another midfielder to replace Scharner/Andrews but I don't think we need to.
I'd like to see Mulumbu Dorrans Morrison as a middle 3 as we had at Stoke. With Gera, Thorne, Allen and maybe even Mantom to slot in when injuries happen. Could argue that another combative midfielder would provide cover to Mulumbu  but just feel that would put another barrier in the way of the likes of Thorne getting a chance.
We still need a pacey impact player to play wide or come off the bench.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »
Impossible to say yet really.

After releasing Scharner, Andrews and Tchoyi the chances are that we may have a completely different midfield setup next year anyway.  It's definitely given Clarke some room to manouvre in the transfer market.

I'd like to think that someone like Dorrans will be given a license to roam under Clarke, but hopefully we find a significant improvement for Jerome Thomas on the left hand side.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
I myself would like to see,a fit Gera on the right,and Brunt out left,that would leave us with Mozza,Mulumbu and maybe Dorrans in the middle,but i feel Dorrans best position isn't as a DM.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 12:20:24 PM »
I think the reports are making it clear we're looking for at least 1 winger. So I'll include him. So my midfield/attack assuming a 4 man defence would be.

Mulumbu

Gera                                       Morrison                        Brunt

Pete                      Long

Now add to this that we've Allan and Thorne as well as Dozza who can all awitch around.

I think SC will play Long and Pete together and though Pete had a cracking couple of games out wide on the right I'm not sure SC will see that as being his natural position. Pete is best breaking past a flat footed defence and being in on goal. his 26 goals in two seasons don't lie. I hope we don't cast him out to the wing.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

michaelwh

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »
I wouldnt read to much into Clarkes comments,they are surely designed to motivate all our strikers.The handling of the temperamental PO will have a large bearing on our season.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
Yes there's been a lot of talk about signing another midfielder to replace Scharner/Andrews but I don't think we need to.
I'd like to see Mulumbu Dorrans Morrison as a middle 3 as we had at Stoke. With Gera, Thorne, Allen and maybe even Mantom to slot in when injuries happen. Could argue that another combative midfielder would provide cover to Mulumbu  but just feel that would put another barrier in the way of the likes of Thorne getting a chance.
We still need a pacey impact player to play wide or come off the bench.

I don't really think we looked balanced enough with both Mozza and Dorrans in the side together. If Mozza hadn't got injured then Dorrans wouldn't have got much of a look in. I still think we need to sign a good quality CM to compliment the decent midfield we have already.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
Impossible to say yet really.

After releasing Scharner, Andrews and Tchoyi the chances are that we may have a completely different midfield setup next year anyway.  It's definitely given Clarke some room to manouvre in the transfer market.

I'd like to think that someone like Dorrans will be given a license to roam under Clarke, but hopefully we find a significant improvement for Jerome Thomas on the left hand side.

I would love to see us bring in pacy wingers on both sides but I fancy it will be one to play on the right

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
I wouldn't read to much into Clarkes comments,they are surely designed to motivate all our strikers.The handling of the temperamental PO will have a large bearing on our season.

Funny Ive never seen PO as temperemental. He seems a really level headed bloke to me. I think he gets a bit frustrated like most good players if he feels he isn't producing his best but that's all for me. Some one like Craig Bellemy I would class as that.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
I keep coming back to how we use Long and Odemwingie in combination. Given the one is our record transfer and the other is our top earner we have far too much invested in them just to give up and use them in rotation or as cover for each other.

How Clarke resolves this issue is central to the whole set up of the team. I cannot see any other choice working other than using Odemwingie as wide player in a 451 or a 433. This of course impacts the midfield set up and could have a major impact on who we bring in during the summer. If Clarke cannot resolve this problem to his satisfaction before the start of the season then one of them needs to be sold and replaced.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

michaelwh

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »
By the word temperamental I mean that PO needs alot of attention to get him fully motivated.Early last season he was unmotivated and lazy during many a game.So much so that RH had to slated him in the press to get a reaction.

Baggie Man

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
If you're going to play long and odemwingie what you need to do i my opinion is play the ball central and on the floor to them rather than long ball and crosses which were hodgson tricks not saying they were bad but SL and PO are both quick, tricky and short and heading is not their strong points so like i said the ball needs to be played through midfield and central so as to make use of their pace- to take people and beat them. PO should take presidence as he is better than Long. Long is a championship player who can convert into prem class but Odemwingie despite being injured more than Long last year and being played out of position on the wing still score double figures and more than Long. This is not me saying Long is bad because he isn't for those of you ready to bite. :D

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 04:30:33 PM »
Based on the current squad if I was in SCs shoes I would possibly line them up like this for Liverpool.

Foster

Reid  McCauley Ollson  Ridgewell

Mulumbu

Gera  Morrison  Brunt   Dorrans

Odemwingie

Subs: Long Fortune Tamas Jones Thomas Thorne Daniels

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »
                                 Foster
Reid              McAuley           Olsson            Ridgewell

Odemwingie     Mulumbu     Dorrans    Morrison         Thomas

Fortune

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2012, 04:40:33 PM »
Based on the current squad if I was in SCs shoes I would possibly line them up like this for Liverpool.

Foster

Reid  McCauley Ollson  Ridgewell

Mulumbu

Gera  Morrison  Brunt   Dorrans

Odemwingie

Subs: Long Fortune Tamas Jones Thomas Thorne Daniels

I'd go same but with Brunt and Dorrans switched round. Brunt out wide every time for me.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 04:46:22 PM »
If you're going to play long and odemwingie what you need to do i my opinion is play the ball central and on the floor to them rather than long ball and crosses which were hodgson tricks not saying they were bad but SL and PO are both quick, tricky and short and heading is not their strong points so like i said the ball needs to be played through midfield and central so as to make use of their pace- to take people and beat them. PO should take presidence as he is better than Long. Long is a championship player who can convert into prem class but Odemwingie despite being injured more than Long last year and being played out of position on the wing still score double figures and more than Long. This is not me saying Long is bad because he isn't for those of you ready to bite. :D

SL is extremely well-suited to long-ball -- very strong and jumps like a gazelle.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »
I'd go same but with Brunt and Dorrans switched round. Brunt out wide every time for me.

Brunt always in the centre for me Oldbury. I like the way he controls the game in that position more than his crossing ability. And I would be asking Gera and Dorrans to get forward in support of Odemwingie looking for those little passing movements around their 18 yard line. I would also be asking Mulumbu to be very disciplined in his challenges and positional play to support the full backs.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »
I dont think your midfield will be too far off Phil, Clarke spoke in the week about building on the solid foundation we have developed under Hodgson but with a slightly more concentration on attack. That midfield would certainly bring that without loosing all the defensive side of the team as a whole.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
Brunt always in the centre for me Oldbury. I like the way he controls the game in that position more than his crossing ability. And I would be asking Gera and Dorrans to get forward in support of Odemwingie looking for those little passing movements around their 18 yard line. I would also be asking Mulumbu to be very disciplined in his challenges and positional play to support the full backs.

I don't think he has the same impact when he's in the centre. He's better drifting in for me or even better played as a wide player which from reports is the position he is more comfortable with.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »

Yikes. You'd trade those Beckham-esque crosses for his cannon shots into row Z?

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »
I don't think he has the same impact when he's in the centre. He's better drifting in for me or even better played as a wide player which from reports is the position he is more comfortable with.

Of course its all a matter of opinion but for me he lacks a bit of pace in the wider area and yes he does drift infield which is partly why I would play him there. Certainly when he plays wider right we often end up looking very unbalanced with absolutely no width on that side as he comes in all the time. As a consequence our out ball was always Thomas and we can become predictable. Thomas final ball is his biggest weakness any how. I just think We would have better balance with Dorrans and Gera wide and then CB can prompt things with his vision and passing ability which for me is what more than any other player makes WBA tick.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »
Yikes. You'd trade those Beckham-esque crosses for his cannon shots into row Z?

No Quakes thats not what Chris Brunt is all about. You dont put him into any side for his shooting ability. Its his composure on the ball and ability to read a game and spray the ball about both long and short which makes him so valuable.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 05:04:15 PM »
I like the team actually Ruby Ruby has put out to be honest. If we're going with Gera on the right, then in my opinion, it would be wise to put Brunty on the left as those crosses could be delivered on que for Gera to nod in! As Ruby points out in the post above, his lack of pace takes away something JT would give us. Plus, I'm not a fan of Graham Dorrans on the wing, I feel that takes him out of his comfort zone. It's certainly an interesting formation and one of many we could use in this upcoming season.

Even if Brunty played on the left, I do feel he would come drifting in to the centre to search for the ball but in my opinion a hallmark of a good player is a player who wants and feels extremely comfortable with the ball. In Brunty, Dorrans, Gera and to an extent Mozza, we have that.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »
No Quakes thats not what Chris Brunt is all about. You dont put him into any side for his shooting ability. Its his composure on the ball and ability to read a game and spray the ball about both long and short which makes him so valuable.

But he does it when he drifts in and gets a look within 30 yards of goal. Drives me crazy. He'll just do it more often if you put him in the center.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2012, 05:22:14 PM »
Lack of pace has never been an issue with Brunt out wide, he doesn't need it as he's not the type to take people on, Beckham is not blessed with pace and has never had an issue out wide.

I've seen nothing to suggest Brunt is a natural in the centre of midfield and I hope with the new man in that we see an end to it to be honest. I agree with him on the right we are unbalanced so the answer is get a new right sided wide man and out Brunt where he is more naturally suited, out wide left.

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »
If its true Steve Clarke is supposed to more attack minded then maybe a front two of Odemwingie and
Long might work, its all down to which midfield plays behind them for this to suceed.

Foster
Jones                                McAuley                  Olsson                      Ridgewell

Gera                                 Mulumbu                 Morrison                           Brunt

Odemwingie                                                           Long
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:37:57 PM by the rainbow turn east »