Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 444221 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1850 on: July 30, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »
The talks of it being 'imperative' we keep a 32 year old with a dismal injury record are pretty bemusing to say the least

He's a solid championship player (when fit) and solid championship players aren't that expensive to buy.

I'd rather the club show some gamble in them and actually go out and buy a young player with some re-sale value.

Pursuing a risk adverse strategy and keeping people like Morrison for too long is one of the reasons we got relegated in the first place.

agree entirely with this,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1851 on: July 30, 2018, 12:10:08 PM »
I'd like us to keep Jimmy and to bring in Maddison as well. That's really good competition for places.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1852 on: July 30, 2018, 12:22:18 PM »
My sentiment entirely. I am not sure why there is such a clamour to let him have us over a barrel in contract negotiations, he should be doing all he can to persuade us to give him another year as, for my mind, he has not done a great deal to justify his very good wage over the past couple of seasons, even when fit.
Absolutely.
Too many injury concerns and far too inconsistent to have any negotiating power. If he re-signs it should be totally under the club's conditions, if not, let someone else take the risk.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1853 on: July 30, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
The talks of it being 'imperative' we keep a 32 year old with a dismal injury record are pretty bemusing to say the least

He's a solid championship player (when fit) and solid championship players aren't that expensive to buy.

I'd rather the club show some gamble in them and actually go out and buy a young player with some re-sale value.

Pursuing a risk adverse strategy and keeping people like Morrison for too long is one of the reasons we got relegated in the first place.

There are less than 2 weeks until the window closes, and he is the only central attacking midfielder at the club.

While I totally agree about going out and getting somebody else to be his replacement, for this year atleast we must keep him as one of two options for that position.
Boing Boing

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1854 on: July 30, 2018, 12:46:31 PM »
Judging by Saturday, he looked in decent shape. He might be worth a year while we hopefully bed in a long-term replacement. I wouldn't think he's be up to every game though.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1855 on: July 30, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »

Personally, I think they've done the exact opposite of that. As far as we know, if Chadli goes, JM is the only game in town, so far from a risk averse strategy, they've put all their bets on a) JM being fit & b) him accepting a new deal. For me that's highly risky.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1856 on: July 30, 2018, 01:12:02 PM »
Absolutely.
Too many injury concerns and far too inconsistent to have any negotiating power. If he re-signs it should be totally under the club's conditions, if not, let someone else take the risk.

How do you know that isn't the case?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1857 on: July 31, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
There are less than 2 weeks until the window closes, and he is the only central attacking midfielder at the club.

While I totally agree about going out and getting somebody else to be his replacement, for this year atleast we must keep him as one of two options for that position.

this drives me absolutely bonkers because this has pretty much been the case for YEARS now. I bought the excuse under dinosaur Pulis and gave Pardew and DM slack last season because they had to play the hand they were dealt, but there is absolutely ZERO excuse for going another transfer window without addressing the CAM position - limping into it with injury-prone James Morrison as the only option.

You either have a plan for the CAM position or you're playing two up front, and the depth up front is non-existent as well. What are we doing?

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1858 on: July 31, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »
With Morrison there is surely one way to deal with it -" Do you want to stay?" (if we want him")
This will bring either of 2 answers.
1. Yes
2. No I'm off somewhere else

Our response is then governed by that
1. These are our terms - take or leave
2.Hand in your locker key and thanks

Any point of negotiation should have well been reached by now and DM should be somewhere near his starting 11 barring injuries in training. This situation should not be the most important thing going on at this time. We (The club) should be more concerned with starting the new season properly and also building a medium and long term strategy. Some of the signings look positive and fit with some of that whilst other 'behaviour' is probably questionable.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1859 on: July 31, 2018, 06:24:05 PM »
this drives me absolutely bonkers because this has pretty much been the case for YEARS now. I bought the excuse under dinosaur Pulis and gave Pardew and DM slack last season because they had to play the hand they were dealt, but there is absolutely ZERO excuse for going another transfer window without addressing the CAM position - limping into it with injury-prone James Morrison as the only option.

You either have a plan for the CAM position or you're playing two up front, and the depth up front is non-existent as well. What are we doing?
Yes I find it baffling why for so long now the club has not addressed this position and like you assumed it was because of Pulis but still nothing has happened yet. Is the plan to only supply the strikers from the wings?

I have already said that in my opinion JM is not the answer.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1860 on: July 31, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »
Sooner or later a decision has to be made surely, if he doesn’t sign by midday Friday he won’t be able to play Saturday will he

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1861 on: July 31, 2018, 10:01:58 PM »
Even though he may not have a contract with us after today, do we still not hold his registration?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1862 on: July 31, 2018, 10:04:34 PM »
Even though he may not have a contract with us after today, do we still not hold his registration?

No, i don't believe so. I think that was the core point of the Bosman ruling.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1863 on: July 31, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »
No, i don't believe so. I think that was the core point of the Bosman ruling.

Thanks for the clarification  :)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1864 on: August 01, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »
When does he need to sign by to play on Saturday?
O Albion we love you

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1865 on: August 01, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »
When does he need to sign by to play on Saturday?

I believe Friday at 12 mid day.

You thinking the same as me? Today seems a good day to bury bad news?

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1866 on: August 01, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »
I believe Friday at 12 mid day.

You thinking the same as me? Today seems a good day to bury bad news?

Think whilst we need to move on from Morrison eventually now isn't the time and him and Barnes looked unplayable at times
O Albion we love you

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1867 on: August 01, 2018, 06:11:25 PM »
Think whilst we need to move on from Morrison eventually now isn't the time and him and Barnes looked unplayable at times
I agree but there have to be limits on what we offer Morrison due to his injury record. If he's holding out for 2 years or even 1 + 1 (appearance triggered), then I can understand the hold up from our side.
I just hope we have someone else lined up in case Morrison leaves. In the short term I could see Barnes slotting into Morrison's more central role but then we lose out on his impact from the left.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1868 on: August 01, 2018, 06:32:09 PM »
I agree but there have to be limits on what we offer Morrison due to his injury record. If he's holding out for 2 years or even 1 + 1 (appearance triggered), then I can understand the hold up from our side.
I just hope we have someone else lined up in case Morrison leaves. In the short term I could see Barnes slotting into Morrison's more central role but then we lose out on his impact from the left.

Has to be 1+1 but as you said I'm sure he will be asking for 2 years.
It's also about reducing his base pay and offering more for performances.

Barnes in the middle allows Brunt on the left. Think he is wasted in cm and also it will prevent field getting games. Not to mention Phillips can go left and we can get Burke to have a go on the right and see if our money was wasted or not.

Even if we retain Morrison we need to replace chadli. I still think we may go for maddison
O Albion we love you

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1869 on: August 01, 2018, 06:36:37 PM »
Has to be 1+1 but as you said I'm sure he will be asking for 2 years.
It's also about reducing his base pay and offering more for performances.

Barnes in the middle allows Brunt on the left. Think he is wasted in cm and also it will prevent field getting games. Not to mention Phillips can go left and we can get Burke to have a go on the right and see if our money was wasted or not.

Even if we retain Morrison we need to replace chadli. I still think we may go for maddison

Weren't we supposed to be looking at Romaine Sawyers to replace Chadli.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1870 on: August 01, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »
Weren't we supposed to be looking at Romaine Sawyers to replace Chadli.

Been linked with roofe and sawyers. Also freeman from qpr in addition to Maddison. So your guess is as good as mine chap
O Albion we love you

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1871 on: August 02, 2018, 06:02:28 AM »
 ;D I see Mozza as an essential cog for us to settle the young players in with all his International and Premiership know-how.He would thrive on that as would Brunty.

Anyway, anyone who 'snots' Berahino for stepping out of line deserves a 1+1 optional contract. ;D ;D ;D

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1872 on: August 02, 2018, 06:58:05 AM »
;D I see Mozza as an essential cog for us to settle the young players in with all his International and Premiership know-how.He would thrive on that as would Brunty.

Anyway, anyone who 'snots' Berahino for stepping out of line deserves a 1+1 optional contract. ;D ;D ;D
A lot of people would agree with you especially at this late stage - the issue and hold up could well be that Morrison wants more than the 1+1. There's evidently a stand-off about something.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1873 on: August 02, 2018, 07:11:35 AM »
A lot of people would agree with you especially at this late stage - the issue and hold up could well be that Morrison wants more than the 1+1. There's evidently a stand-off about something.

Or the club aren't yet convinced about his fitness and want to leave it as late as possible before handing him a contract to sign.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1874 on: August 02, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
Or the club aren't yet convinced about his fitness and want to leave it as late as possible before handing him a contract to sign.
Yes, fair comment....we are getting very close now obviously to the late as possible stage. As it stands, I think 'Boro or anyone else could offer him a 2 year deal today.