Author Topic: Stadium Envy  (Read 4737 times)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Stadium Envy
« on: April 03, 2019, 05:02:13 PM »
I have to admit that new Spurs stadium looks very impressive and I want us promoted just so I can add it to my stadiums visited list

To keep it Albion related anyone seen what the away allocations are liable to be like? A cup game there could be interesting too with 15% of capacity having to be made available

COYB
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Stadium Envy
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »
Spurs stadium looks incredible especially the steep bank at the home end. I love a bit of stadium action and love to see old and new. Would love it if there was a business case to do something with the Halfords.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 06:31:26 PM »
I haven’t been to a new stadium where I have thought ‘I’d love us to play in a ground like this’ if I’m honest

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 08:20:11 PM »
I haven’t been to a new stadium where I have thought ‘I’d love us to play in a ground like this’ if I’m honest

Only away from home could it happen. Next move by the Albion will probably be to reduce the capacity further. They'll probably knock the Halfords down and replace it with a pitch length long screen.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:20:00 PM by Atomic »

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »
I read that the cheapest season ticket was £750.

The stadium cost around a billion to build?

Might look amazing but I wouldn't be able to afford/justify a season ticket.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:51:55 PM »
I read that the cheapest season ticket was £750.

The stadium cost around a billion to build?

Might look amazing but I wouldn't be able to afford/justify a season ticket.

That scenario happened here then my next season ticket would be at Halesowen Town
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 10:12:06 PM »

I agree, they are all copy + paste, soulless and empty of any character. I like mis-matched stands and un-even looking things in stadiums - it feels too synthetic otherwise.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 11:17:46 PM »
The only stadium to take my breathe away was at a CL evening game in the San Siro. A true cathedral. It had an almost Gothic feel to it. Genoa’s stadium is architecturally pleasing, creates a great atmosphere, and the upper tiers are precariously steep. The Hawthorns is still my favourite though. ☺️
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 02:55:37 AM »
 ;D Fellows Park,Walsall also had lots of character...with the railway line running about 30 feet behind one of the goalposts...those were the days. ;)

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 05:17:15 AM »
;D Fellows Park,Walsall also had lots of character...with the railway line running about 30 feet behind one of the goalposts...those were the days. ;)
I cut my teeth there before I was old enough to go to the Albion. If I remember rightly, wasn’t there a Laundry End? Along the side where the players came out. I also remember being awestruck about a guy called Oscar. Apparently he was the cock of the kop. Fantastic experience.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 07:26:48 AM »
I like traditional grounds and a bit of a mis match like someone already stated. I’ll be honest and I might get a 7 day ban for this but the best ground in england for me is villa park  :o

It was my first visit to Portman Road this season and I was really impressed with that as well.

I’m not saying we should as I think it would be a waste of money but lets not get into that but if we added another tier to the Halfords I think our ground would be brilliant with four different quite large stands.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 07:44:07 AM »
My favourite stadium this season - Brentford, proper little football ground with a pub in all corners of it's perimeter.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 08:13:17 AM »
I cut my teeth there before I was old enough to go to the Albion. If I remember rightly, wasn’t there a Laundry End? Along the side where the players came out. I also remember being awestruck about a guy called Oscar. Apparently he was the cock of the kop. Fantastic experience.
;D I agree had forgotten about the laundry end???  Saw many a match in the 1960's as my mate was a Saddlers fan as well as a Baggies fan.
I remember players such as Bennett, ColinTaylor, Carling (the keeper) playing then.
I think a lot of Baggies have Walsall as their 2nd team?

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »
I like to go on Google Earth and try and find the site of stadiums i visited when i followed Albion home and away. Baseball Ground, Highfield Rd, Filbert St, Roker Park, Ayresome Park, Victoria Ground, Boelyn Ground, Maine Road, Goldstone Ground, Highbury, etc.
Most of these grounds were shiteholes, but they generated great atmosphere's. Modern style grounds don't do much for me including the Hawthorns. Quiet, sterile and expensive. I followed Albion in the right era.
It's hard to locate where these grounds were today, and the pubs we went in pre game. But it has been about 40 years ago.
When i got married i just did home games.
Last game i travelled with Albion was the play off final at the New Wembley, i would have gone again the following year against Pompey but we were away on our 25th anniversary holiday.
Still i have been to these real grounds with the stench of urine and bovril, air thick with cigarrette's and pipe smoke, froze, got soaked, swayed with the crowd, sung my heart out, cried when we lost.
Young fans today will never know what a real big match experience is like.

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 10:07:31 AM »
This website is fascinating.  you can find loads of 'lost' places....
 https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=5&lat=56.0000&lon=-4.0000&layers=1&right=BingHyb

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 10:37:43 AM »
That scenario happened here then my next season ticket would be at Halesowen Town

Halesowen Town, I am tempted to miss the match against Preston and go to Halesowen and see the game against Kettering, if the league title has not been sewn up by Kettering this weekend against Alvechurch. One more win will give the Poppies the title and it would be interesting to be there when it is won.

As for stadia with character, Molineux was an interesting ground with the old gabled stand, each gable a different size!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »
Halesowen Town, I am tempted to miss the match against Preston and go to Halesowen and see the game against Kettering, if the league title has not been sewn up by Kettering this weekend against Alvechurch. One more win will give the Poppies the title and it would be interesting to be there when it is won.

As for stadia with character, Molineux was an interesting ground with the old gabled stand, each gable a different size!

There were only three stands like that one, Wolves, Arsenal, and i forget the other, someone up north, maybe Preston or Bolton.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 11:25:48 AM »

ah yeah remember it well.
Mouldy pies and damp crisps, flat beer, syrupy tea all served from an old converted ice cream van.
Bogs over flowing, pushed and pulled from pillar to post, walls collapsing oh the nostalgia.
Not a patch on that new stadium in Landan  ::)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »
I remember those awful pies they sold in London grounds, full of water most of them, bloody terrible. The beer wasn't much better either.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
Hales Owen Town, Hawne  Recreation Ground:  The shed end; the Sleeper End; one open side with a metal scaffold bar to lean on.  One side having a covered construction like a long stretched allotment shed with a bench, two deep (extra 6 old pence).  This was inhabited by a group of women well past a certain age whose insinuations regarding the manhood (and other more visible features) of certain opposition players was an education in the more recondite Black Country phrases.
The smell of burnt animal horn from the button factory.

Is it still like that?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes