Author Topic: Steve Clarke Sacked by Albion  (Read 358608 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Steve Clarke Sacked by Albion
« Reply #875 on: January 31, 2013, 01:01:03 AM »
At least it will free up Brunty. He was one of the only players today that played the ball straight forward and found our strikers and JT. And we'd look like we have a prem team out there again.

But yes, creativity has been a problem all season. In fact I think Clarke should give up the idea of playing two dm's as it makes us so rigid. At least in some games he could try dropping Yacob down to lone dm closer in front of the cb's and have Mulumbu and Morrison in freer roles. I'd push Brunty out to the right and have JT on the left.

The much maligned Brunt is certainly our best passer of the ball and creates more than anyone else, so having him further forward I agree will help, but unlocking a stubborn defence at home? Not so sure. Where is our next win coming from?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #876 on: January 31, 2013, 01:13:06 AM »
 With Long, Lukaku, Mozza, Mulumbu and Brunt we do have players capable of sticking the ball in the net. Lukaku can create something out of nearly nothing, and Long scores 'weird' goals like today and against Sunderland, but most important of all is to get the team game back both the offense and defense. We can't look to individuals to carry the load we have to get a functioning collective again. But yes, creativity is something we need to fix for next season.

Also, we must stop leaking goals. We are forced to score two or three goals each game to have a chance of winning. At least with a more stable defense we give ourselves a chance.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #877 on: January 31, 2013, 10:02:19 AM »
He totally bores me but he gets my full backing at the moment
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Wbahunty

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #878 on: January 31, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »
One problem im starting to notice is that he dont cut any threat from the other team out, we have a weak link in Jones who is terrible when hes left in the winger. But last night played Dorrans whos only job should have been to cover Baines and they both let him in to easily.

Bains was a threat, Berbatov, Benteke all these players were what we needed to stop and we didnt! We have Bale coming up next and i dont see a very pretty afternoon for the right sided midfield!

Can Clarke not see where our team lacks, RB and with Mulumbu and Jacob out CDM. Why have we not gone out a coverd these possitions! A what is the point of throwing Rosenberg on and putting Lukaku on the wing when chanceing a game. Its just mind boggling at the moment.

Im starting to loose confidence, if we didnt have a good start we would be in big trouble!

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #879 on: February 03, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
Surely everyone should be getting more than a little worried now?
Clarke seems to be doing a RDM and not be able to arrest the slide and only our good start will save though it looks a depressed end to the season coming up.
Always wondered how the 'RDM' might have ended if we hadn't of got rid so now we might find out something similar !  Where is the next win coming from ?
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #880 on: February 03, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »
Not lost faith just interest which is sad seeing as i only been able to follow us the last month i caught the bad run of form but we dont seem to be bouncing back at all or trying to correct it, were moving the ball around to slow displaying heavy touches and poor passes, to negative giving to many teams to much respect got two poor fullbacks, I know we have played outstanding this season but Clarke has hes first big test here. Come on you baggies lets see some spirit.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #881 on: February 03, 2013, 06:20:49 PM »
Next 6 games

Liverpool A
Sunderland H
Chelsea A
Swansea H
Stoke A
West Ham A

On current form then I can see us losing them bar Sunderland. The football he is giving to us at the moment is truly woefull. Its his job to stamp his ideas into the team but at the moment I am seeing a team that can't defend well or can't do a simple 5 yard pass. A lot of fans are losing interest due to the fact were producing dire football and are out of 2 cups.
BOING BOING

baggie_liam

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #882 on: February 03, 2013, 06:29:06 PM »
I think a few people are getting a bit silly, what do you want us to do sack him? I believe we'll come out of this bad spell we're going through. Is it a sheer coincidence our form dips when we lost the YM/CY partnership? Lost Long for a few weeks? Once everyone bar Gera is back fit, we'll be fine. It's only because we've been positioned higher all season people aren't happy I think, if we'd have been around the 8th-12th places nobody would say anything, would they?

EDITED: TEXT SPEAK
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:30:17 PM by OldburyWBA »

bigt

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #883 on: February 03, 2013, 06:38:52 PM »
Good-Bye Mr Clarke,Hello Mr Atkins!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #884 on: February 03, 2013, 06:47:28 PM »

Nigel Adkins, a failed Premier League manager? The mind boggles.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #885 on: February 03, 2013, 06:52:02 PM »
Good team set up today, really enjoying the game untill the sending off spoilt it, like the 4-4-2 with Lukaku and Long, it will bring wins.
Baggie in Southampton

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #886 on: February 03, 2013, 06:53:42 PM »
I'm not sure Nigel Adkins is the answer at all to be honest. Only as much experience as Clarke as a Prem Manager/ Head Coach.

Clarke has a test now to see how he will deal with all thats going on both on and off pitch. I don't we're at the Clarke out stage, its the time for players and staff to sit down and if something needs sorting out then clear the air and get it sorted and get back to what we were doing earlier in the season.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #887 on: February 03, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »
Clarke got us into the highest position in recent history and hasn't had the ability to pick either his best or a settled side in weeks.  The performance that we wre putting in before Popov's madness suggests that we are regaining our early season form.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

baggie_liam

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #888 on: February 03, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »

Jeeeez I've heard it all now!

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #889 on: February 03, 2013, 07:04:08 PM »
I'm not saying sack Clarke, but I am getting concerned. At what point do we say enough's enough? His appearance makes me think he lacks motivation, though I'm not saying he's like that behind closed doors. Just an observation.

Some of his team starts and subs make me wander at times. I'm glad we went 442 today, but I'm so confused as to why he was so reluctant to bring in any more players when he had chance through January.

It only takes a couple of injuries (Gera & Thorne) and some silly behavior (Odemwingie & Popov) and suddenly our team is depleted. Having got rid of Jara, Dawson, Cox and Wood, that's EIGHT players the squad has lost in a matter of weeks. Thank goodness Dorrans didn't actually go, after being told he was free to go.

At first I didn't like Clarke, but when we started playing well and getting results it turned my opinion. But now, I find myself thinking 'was it just good fortune?' early on, as we seemed to have hit a slump that seems insurmountable.

I realise we're still not in a bad position, but surely thats only down to the fortune of other teams losing too? If they'd won, we'd be much further down the league.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #890 on: February 03, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »
I've said it before and i will say it again, Clarke has been very unlucky in the last few months.

He has had to contend with an injury crisis in the last 2 months that has seen the majority of our first team and every big player bar Macauley miss a game or more due to injuries. As well as that he has lost 2 players for the season to injury, Mulumbu to the African Nations and then Peter Odemwingie due to his modern footballer arrogance.

During all of this, he has received little support from a board (and I include Ashworth and Garlick in this) who appear happy with us having all but secured another season at this level and are now looking to strange as much profit out of the season as is possible, and who have for me, written off half a season for the sake of a million or two.

Clarke has to take some blame for not getting us out of this slump and for the poor football we have played recently but then again, apart from the style of football I haven't been able to offer many alternative tactics to what he is doing at the moment. He has to be here at the start of next season, barring a spectacular run of poor results.
Boing Boing

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #891 on: February 03, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
Unlucky for Clarke today. I'm pleased he went with the two up front and it seemed to have worked, they were causing a problems and had the best first half we have had for a while. Positive signs were there and a point or maybe 3 were in sight. Then Popov happened.

Don't think he did much wrong at all with the subs, with a defender being sent off it  was a certaintity that a striker was going to be withdrawn. Then he went for it at the end with three strikers on to try and sneak what would have been a precious result.

With the loss though i do feel the pressure is on, a very tough game next week, we have to perform to our capabilities and hope for a result. If not then the Sunderland game is a huge one for him, 0 or maybe even 1 point from the two games would seriously call questions on his future.

Big times for Clarke and the club at the moment with the ill discipline going around the place  :(

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #892 on: February 03, 2013, 07:15:42 PM »
I can not believe we are even talking about Steve Clarkes future, this is a madness, we are still 9th in the Premiership, we have had a bad run with injuries on a thinnish squad, this has happened every winter to West Brom due to our smaller squad, it needs to be addressed in the long term, but please, we are turning into Dingle clones!
Baggie in Southampton

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #893 on: February 03, 2013, 07:19:42 PM »

I never mentioned getting rid but we should be concerned !

He's earnt this season at least but we need to see more in the last third of the season to give us some hope for next season.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:10:00 PM by Quakes Fan »
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #894 on: February 03, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »
I never mentioned getting rid but we should be concerned !

He's earnt this season at least but we need to see more in the last third of the season to give us some hope for next season.

His main problem was that he overestimated the squad and was too accepting. When he gets his best team back out there results will improve, but it's a bit worrying that he was so naive. Then again he has never been in the hot seat before, hope he learns his lessons fast for next season.

And if he did mess with the training regime against the advice of the club's professional staff, please think again for next season.

Etc.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:10:28 PM by Quakes Fan »

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #895 on: February 03, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »
I cant believe that some people want SC out, seven months or so in charge, 9th in the league with 34 points, dont these people remember the days of Brian Talbut, Dennis Smith, Brian Little, Bobby Gould and for those who dont, ask some of us old un's about the dark days in Division 2 and 3. FFS give this bloke a chance.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #896 on: February 03, 2013, 10:11:23 PM »
It could be a lot worse....

Anybody fancy swapping our current position (points-wise or financially) with Villa, Birmingham or Wolves?

Thought not!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #897 on: February 03, 2013, 10:20:12 PM »
I cant believe that some people want SC out, seven months or so in charge, 9th in the league with 34 points, dont these people remember the days of Brian Talbut, Dennis Smith, Brian Little, Bobby Gould and for those who dont, ask some of us old un's about the dark days in Division 2 and 3. FFS give this bloke a chance.
I think I'm right in saying that Clarke STILL has the highest points tally we've ever had at this time in the PL.

RO55WBA

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #898 on: February 03, 2013, 10:37:37 PM »
I remember  Charlton punching above their weight starting the season well and fading towards the end for a few seasons , then sacking their manager curbishley,because they thought they could do better I bet they regret that now. Be careful what you wish for .

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #899 on: February 03, 2013, 10:42:18 PM »
I think a few people are getting a bit silly, what do you want us to do sack him? I believe we'll come out of this bad spell we're going through. Is it a sheer coincidence our form dips when we lost the YM/CY partnership? Lost Long for a few weeks? Once everyone bar Gera is back fit, we'll be fine. It's only because we've been positioned higher all season people aren't happy I think, if we'd have been around the 8th-12th places nobody would say anything, would they?

EDITED: TEXT SPEAK
Surely if we had been 8-12th before this rot we would now be sitting around 16-19th?
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion