Author Topic: Shane Long Completes Move to Hull City  (Read 509655 times)

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Shane Long
« Reply #2500 on: January 16, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »
Does anyone else think selling to a rival club is a stupid thing to do. When you're desperate for points, one goal could mean the difference between staying up or not.
About more than a 50% chance that such a crucial goal could come against one of our other relegation rivals too, which may just as likely hinder us as help us. Though that excludes our game where a "loan to sell" agreement could be made. 

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2501 on: January 16, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »
Wish him all the best at Hull.

Sometimes its just time to move on.

7mill....thank you very much
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2502 on: January 16, 2014, 10:28:55 AM »
Long sold + 7 M + Good standard replacement = Fantastic Deal

Long sold +  7 M + Journey Man replacement = Average gamble

Long sold  + 7 M  with no replacement and hoping Anelka / Sick Vic come good
                             or the two youngsters step up = Big Gamble IMO.

If we aren't looking at getting a replacement I'd sooner keep Long until the Summer , Mel must be backed JP!

It does look like Shane will be gone and i wish him well , not half as bad as some make out IMO and as for having Hoof ball pinned on him ...well if your Head coach allows it for 30 odd games then for me that comes down to him not the player.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:31:33 AM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2503 on: January 16, 2014, 10:30:51 AM »
Agreed with Dexy, depends how we approach this. I expect nothing though, standard Albion.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2504 on: January 16, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
Does anyone else think selling to a rival club is a stupid thing to do. When you're desperate for points, one goal could mean the difference between staying up or not. While Long's finishing isnt perfect, he's one of the hardest workers on the pitch. Stick him with someone who complements his style and you've got a very dangerous player.

There is no chance we could replace him from the fund we're likely to receive from Hull, so it is a huge gamble by the club.

unless Longy has a complete turn around and starts putting the ball in the back of the net I wouldn't worry too much
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2505 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:57 AM »
Whats up with this forum?

After saturday this forum was flooded with fans saying "sell sell sell" now weve accepted an offer its "its a gamble, only sell if weve got a replacement"

Make your minds up

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2506 on: January 16, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
unless Longy has a complete turn around and starts putting the ball in the back of the net I wouldn't worry too much
I think Bruce see's him as a willing worker with a few goals to go alongside Jelavic as the main threat , perfect for Shane really. If you remember our recent game with them they had Graham and Sagbo just off each other , to be fair to Hull i think Long if he signs and Jelavic are a step up in quality.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2507 on: January 16, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »

After saturday this forum was flooded with fans saying "sell sell sell" now weve accepted an offer its "its a gamble, only sell if weve got a replacement"

Make your minds up
Many things get posted on forums especially after a bad defeat like Saturday's .
Lot's of different people with lots of different views as a forum should be!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2508 on: January 16, 2014, 10:50:54 AM »

Make your minds up

I never said sell like many of us. used correctly he is probably worth every penny. Should have been given time under Pepe. Most likely come back to bite us. His energy and passion is priceless
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

BrummieBaggie68

• Youth Baggie

Shane Long
« Reply #2509 on: January 16, 2014, 10:54:24 AM »

Long sold + 7 M + Good standard replacement = Fantastic Deal

Long sold +  7 M + Journey Man replacement = Average gamble

Long sold  + 7 M  with no replacement and hoping Anelka / Sick Vic come good
                             or the two youngsters step up = Big Gamble IMO.

If we aren't looking at getting a replacement I'd sooner keep Long until the Summer , Mel must be backed JP!

It does look like Shane will be gone and i wish him well , not half as bad as some make out IMO and as for having Hoof ball pinned on him ...well if your Head coach allows it for 30 odd games then for me that comes down to him not the player.

Can't agree with that at all. He was a total liability. By no means just because of the hoofball (as you say, thats not really his fault), but because of his very deficient technical ability to play football at this level.

A liability at this level because he lacks the touch. His basic control is not good enough. Nine times out of ten the ball bounces off him. That means we are better off with him not on the pitch than on it, because if he is on it, people will pass to him and we will therefore lose the ball and turn attack into defence.

Whereas if Anelka, Berahino, Anichebe, Gera receive the ball, it will stick. (Vydra and Rosenberg more suspect so far, but both need/would need time).

It if we only have ten men, we still have a chance of keeping the ball. Once we pass it to Shane, there is a very high chance we have lost it. That's if it doesn't go over his head anyway.

Also, his close finishing is woeful, longer shot very poor, crossing poor, can't beat a man etc etc.

He was an actual liability. We are positively better off without him. I would have given him away. It's a miracle that Hull are paying that (anybody know what the base price is?)

New coaches (except Mourinho apparently) always want another striker, but Shane doesn't need replacing. We have 5 strikers, good blend of young hungry and massively experienced and different styles, others like Gera who can play in the hole, good attacking midfielders including with width etc etc.

What we need is two new fullbacks.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2510 on: January 16, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »
I think Long has sometimes become one of the scapegoats to a certain extent as probably 75% of our squad havent played well for 14-15 months or so of which Long is one of them.

I think he is the easy option for our players to just hoof it and he will chase it, it means they have passed the buck and he has scraps to feed off, we dont play that way when he is in the team but to be fair to him, i am sure he doesnt enjoy the service we had. I think it goes back to 2nd half of last season when Lukaku was starting reguarly, we could just whack him the ball anywhere and he would do something, so our players have just relied on doing the same with Long, where as Long and Lukaku are completely different players!

I think Long showed what a good played he could be start of last season when we played to his strengths, however from his side, i think he has lost that something that made him play well, even when he has the ball he is half the player he was, when he first joined i couldnt believe how good he was in the air or how strong he was for a little bloke, and along with his workrate and the fact he put himself around that made him a handful. However i think the last year or so he still works hard but the ball doesnt stick, he isnt really the nuisance to defenders and i often dont know he is on the pitch, aside from 2nd half v Chelsea and 1st half v Villa i would be hard pushed to say when Long has played well (again you could say that about most of the team)

I think the deal suits all parties, he obviously wanted a new deal on better terms, if it was down to me i wouldnt of gave him a new deal either yet as the last year hasnt warranted it, and so we get to cash and get a good fee and he gets a fresh start elsewhere, it will do him good as obviously we havent seen Pepe Mels Albion yet but based on what i have seen this season so far, Hull are a lot better football team than we are and Long will probably be better suited to that.

I like Long and hope he does well there, and just think its probably time for a fresh start for all parties.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2511 on: January 16, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »
So we have five strikers now which is enough in theory however if Anelka gets a lengthy ban which seems possible now from different parties putting pressure on the FA, thats one out, we havent seen much of big vic and rosenberg whether that changes who knows that leaves saido and vydra, I wouldnt mind that though at least one of them is guaranteed to start now  ;D just leaves us lacking options if one of them  picks up a knock.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2512 on: January 16, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »
I don't think those people who were criticising Long at every turn can now demand a replacement given that we still have 5 strikers at the club and I assume Long's critics would have played one of those instead. The fact that we sold Long for £7m in January proves that it is a rotten time to buy and I would ideally wait until the summer to reinvest in the squad.

Personally I would have not parted with him given that there are question marks attached to every other striker at the club. I hope we have some sort of deal lined up for a replacement but I fear that we won't unless we also unload Rosenberg.

Obviously now that he has gone we will start to play free flowing attacking football based on short crisp passing it will be like watching Brazil.  :D

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2513 on: January 16, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
Brummie Baggie 68 - Fair enough we all have different views and i respect that mate , your point on 5 strikers is wrong in my humble though.
Anelka - Almost past it if not already , sometimes a luxury we can't afford (away especially ). Missed quite a few games already and has a big possible ban hanging over him.
Anichebe - Always injured , one good game at Old Trafford. I'm not convinced he will fit Mel's style from what we are told (technical players)
Rosenberg - I was a fan before he signed , probably too far gone to turn it around.£35,000 a week better spent elsewhere if possible.
Vydra - Shown signs but finishing must improve , unlikely to stay next season.
Saido - Young star but as Clarke used to say he needs handling with care as all young players do .
You mention Gera who i love but he surely is on his last legs now , In my humble we do need another forward otherwise i just can't see goals in the front line.

Plastic Paddy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2514 on: January 16, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »
This is a fantastic deal for the club. Despite his work rate (which should be a mandatory requirement for a professional footballer) Shane offers very little. The first half against Vile aside, his performances have not been good enough and his basic control/hold up play are awful.

That being said, I hope and trust that PM is happy with this decision as other than maybe a loan/free agent I don't expect JP to sign a replacement using the money as the club will no doubt say this money was spent on signing VA on deadline day.

It will be interesting to see PM's first team selection on Monday night. I did read somewhere that he prefers to play with either a 4231 or 433 formation which implies there will only be 1 central striker whichever formation he chooses. That being so, the wide players in either formation will be crucial and this may be an area where he will look to strengthen as other than 'Sicknote' Sinclair we are lacking any real genuine width and/or pace.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2515 on: January 16, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
This is a fantastic deal for the club. Despite his work rate (which should be a mandatory requirement for a professional footballer) Shane offers very little. The first half against Vile aside, his performances have not been good enough and his basic control/hold up play are awful.

That being said, I hope and trust that PM is happy with this decision as other than maybe a loan/free agent I don't expect JP to sign a replacement using the money as the club will no doubt say this money was spent on signing VA on deadline day.

It will be interesting to see PM's first team selection on Monday night. I did read somewhere that he prefers to play with either a 4231 or 433 formation which implies there will only be 1 central striker whichever formation he chooses. That being so, the wide players in either formation will be crucial and this may be an area where he will look to strengthen as other than 'Sicknote' Sinclair we are lacking any real genuine width and/or pace.

I know which one i would keep. VA will go down as one of our worst signings in history
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2516 on: January 16, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
AlbionBest

In answer to your questions

A) JP stated it as an element of the clubs business model. In all honesty I doubt it matters hugely as it's really the wage build that's the point. But as wages roughly equal ability i'd rather spend my wages on 22 lads, rather than 25.

B) The club accounts, under the new imposed financial "fair play" system limit our wage bill to 70 or 75% of turnover (I can't remember which)... We were only about 2% off before the summers incoming players, So i expect Sess, Vic, Lugano and Vic to have stretched us to the very limit. I was suprised when Sess & Vic both arrived on the last day for this very reason.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Doobuy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2517 on: January 16, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »
playing long in many games this season has made me think - what if vydra had started, what if saido had started. We have choice and given he wasnt scoring, i couldnt see why he would be picked so much. we didnt have a style of play under steve clarke - it will be seen as the right move to sell him if the style we adopt is a euro possession style requiring a good first touch and the ability to turn with the ball. We have been calling for an end to hoof ball for long enough - under a more cultured tactic i'd maybe even fancy dorrans and the berg to play a part

wbafc68

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2518 on: January 16, 2014, 12:29:38 PM »
If Shane agrees terms & signs then I wish him and his family all the best. He has never been a favourite of mine but you cannot criticise his effort and work rate. I just don't feel he is good enough for a regular start in the premiership ( and he may, at a new club prove me wrong) and he isn't really suited to the style of play I like to see which is a passing game. He may benefit from Huddlestones ability to pick a precise pass but on balance I can't ever see him hitting 15 goals in a season. With regards to whats left I feel that VA deserves reserved judgement until we see more and ok if he continues with as much injury misses as he has had until now then he has been a bad signing but football is littered with cases like that ( ie Kieron dyer, And Carroll etc) What cameo roles I have seen + the Man Utd game I think shows some promise but that is just my opinion.

fireymoosse

« Reply #2519 on: January 16, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
I have always maintained we should keep Shane Long, he was badly used by SC and his tactics.

This will come back to haunt us, again penny pinching JP and KJ at thier worst.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2520 on: January 16, 2014, 12:44:28 PM »
I have always maintained we should keep Shane Long, he was badly used by SC and his tactics.

This will come back to haunt us, again penny pinching JP and KJ at thier worst.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

could not agree anymore. who is kj..... Kenny Jacket lol
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:48:31 PM by Jack Russell »
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2521 on: January 16, 2014, 12:45:26 PM »
£7 million is arguably overpriced so no wonder we snapped it up, I feel his best games for us are behind him, The style of play Pepe will bring wouldn't have suited him, Like others have said it's how we replace him as personally I don't think we need another striker, It's full backs and a DM that would be my concern.

It was pete's and Lukaku's goals that kept us up, Long just scored a few in each season and the offer is really good. No doubt he'll have a blinder against us when we go too Hull.

mannimc

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2522 on: January 16, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
Good Luck Shane

Unfortunately another player that we have outgrown as a club, he scored over 1 goal once in a premier league game and for me his movement of the ball was non existant.

Ship out Dorrans and rosenburg and maybe bring in a couple of new faces to freshen things up in midfield and full back areas

We have enouhg forwards at the club now in Berahino, Vydra, Anichibe, sess and Anelka so good business, hopefully we can can a settled partnership now and climb up the table

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2523 on: January 16, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »
Those who are saying our not meeting his £50k p/w wage demand (as stated in a few papers today) are penny pinching are playing a very fast and loose game with our finances. Luckily the guys running the shop are a bit more prudent.

Long's record means he should in absolutley no regard be given such a contract. If Hull are willing more fool them and good luck to Long.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2524 on: January 16, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
If those are his demands then he won't agree terms with Hull and we'll lose home for a song in the summer.