Author Topic: Cedric Kipre  (Read 77640 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Cedric Kipre
« on: August 27, 2020, 04:44:04 PM »
Rob Dorsett
@RobDorsettSky
#wba close to signing #wafc CB Cedric Kipre. There is broad agreement with Wigan’s administrators over a fee. 23-yr-old was of interest to a number of clubs, but chance to play for Albion in the Prem Lg has swung it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 04:02:23 AM by Political Cake »

Dan

• WBA Coach

Re: Cedric Kipre
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 04:49:37 PM »
Seems like he has a decent reputation. Could be a shrewd signing, fee for other clubs was rumoured at 900k, so could be a useful use of funds. Duffy being rumoured for a lot of money for a guy himself who was nothing more than a decent championship centre back did not seem good value.

Centre backs and goalkeepers are two positions I think you can pretty often get good players for low prices (see Ajayi as a great example). Better to save the funds for the forward positions.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »
Seems like we are gambling on this guy or Ajayi, both preferably, to come good alongside Hegazi.

Then leaves the kitty for 2 strikers and winger and some loans.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 05:20:28 PM »
This would be typical Albion. Linked with 765 players and we sign a CB from Wigan. Might not have been so bad if we were in the Championship but players like Kipre are not going to keep us in the Premier League.

If we are serious about being a Premier League club we have to do better than this.

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 05:22:43 PM »
This would be typical Albion. Linked with 765 players and we sign a CB from Wigan. Might not have been so bad if we were in the Championship but players like Kipre are not going to keep us in the Premier League.

If we are serious about being a Premier League club we have to do better than this.

Sounds like you know a lot about the guy. Can you shed some light on what kind of player he is?
"You'll never get past Claudio"

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 05:24:44 PM »
Who ever is doing our transfers must have got mixed up with real life and the sun dream team  , get some 1 million pound defenders and keeper then blow all your budget up top (eze)id  take it though , I’d rather get hammered having a go then lose 1-0 parking the bus

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 05:32:57 PM »

You're being unduly harsh. Wigan fans rate the guy highly, he was rated at Motherwell before them. Seems a potentially shrewd pick up.

Most our best signings have tended to be this kind of signing previously.

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 05:35:03 PM »

You mean like when we signed McAuley and he didn’t work out?

I’ll admit not everyone is going to turn out to be McAuley, but give the guy a chance you've not even seen him play in the premier league

No pleasing some of our fans, amount of times seen comments like “we need to go back to shrewd signings”, then when we make one, we have to do better. Club just cannot win with some comments I’ve seen on here and twitter
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 05:36:53 PM »
Should we sign this guy at least give him a chance to show what he can do.

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 05:38:06 PM »
Could be a shrewd signing this one for a million quid. He absolutely dominated us when they beat us at our place this season, if I remember rightly.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 05:42:50 PM »
Very good signing if we can get it across the line. David Moyes was scouting him last season - part of the Wigan team that kept 10 clean sheets in 11 games and he played without a regular centre back partner. Fans at current and previous clubs all rate him. Great age, 6”3, small fee and wages - no brainer.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 05:43:45 PM »
You mean like when we signed McAuley and he didn’t work out?

I’ll admit not everyone is going to turn out to be McAuley, but give the guy a chance you've not even seen him play in the premier league

No pleasing some of our fans, amount of times seen comments like “we need to go back to shrewd signings”, then when we make one, we have to do better. Club just cannot win with some comments I’ve seen on here and twitter

The club was in a different place when we signed McCauley. Now we are a newly promoted team and we cant be taking gambles on players like Kipre we need to sign genuine Premier League quality.

I never criticised one of our signings last summer nor in January they were additions that made sense even if one or two didnt work out.

If we sign Kipre it tells everyone loud and clear that the club have no serious intention to compete and are perfectly happy to pick up the money and go down again.

Remember this post at the end of next season.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 05:46:02 PM »
Should we sign this guy at least give him a chance to show what he can do.

Yup.  Weirdly though some of our own fans don't want to give our own players the same chance. 

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 05:46:14 PM »
The fact that we are competing with Blackburn and no Prem clubs is a concern. I hope things work out if we do sign him but I can't see him being much more than a squad filler. I suppose the Leko money cancels this one out.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 05:50:26 PM »
If we can get him cheaply then that leaves our budget to buy our main priorities which is a goalscorer and replacement for Dianga (or Dianga himself).  Unless the club have got several millions stashed away they're not letting on about.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 05:52:06 PM »
West Brom make approach for Wigan's Cedric Kipre

Fee in the region of £900,000, worth a punt at that price

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/08/27/west-brom-make-approach-for-wigans-cedric-kipre/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 05:53:46 PM »
If we can get him cheaply then that leaves our budget to buy our main priorities which is a goalscorer and replacement for Dianga (or Dianga himself).  Unless the club have got several millions stashed away they're not letting on about.

Everyone knows we need a striker but we did manage to score plenty of goals last season. It's defensively that worries me. Unless we bring in a couple of good defenders and a keeper it wouldn't matter if we had Messi or Ronaldo up front. We are going to ship a hell of a lot of goals.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

darby009

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 06:00:24 PM »

When are our fans going to learn... some of our best defenders of recent times have been signed with deals like this... GMac, Ajayi, Neil Clement, hegazi, Robinson, Reid, none of them cost much... it’s all about coaching, and thinking who can work as a defensive unit.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »
When are our fans going to learn... some of our best defenders of recent times have been signed with deals like this... GMac, Ajayi, Neil Clement, hegazi, Robinson, Reid, none of them cost much... it’s all about coaching, and thinking who can work as a defensive unit.

We got that Regis and that Cunningham chap for a song too I recall... and yes I know those were very different times, but if we can make a few canny signings then it frees up the cash for hopefully a couple of key signings.

You have to hope.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2020, 06:10:39 PM »
The same fans saying we shouldn’t be signing a CB from Wigan are the same people who were going crazy over a LB from Wigan  ???
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2020, 06:16:56 PM »
For the fee quotd this is a no brainer

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 06:17:40 PM »
The same fans saying we shouldn’t be signing a CB from Wigan are the same people who were going crazy over a LB from Wigan  ???

Great post!
Baggie in Southampton

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 06:27:23 PM »
Wigan have a fire sale on with players being sold way below their true valuation.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »
I know very little about him, but I like what I read.

This is the sort of deal I’ve been screaming for as it has the potential for great value.

Brought up in a PSG system where I expect young players have to be technically good and spent time in the Leicester system which hasn’t been too shabby recently.

Rave reviews from fans of clubs he’s played at and a good age. If he has 5 decent games before christmas he probably multiply his value by 10. 

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2020, 06:33:00 PM »
If Mowbray is in for him he must be decent on the ball.