Author Topic: Crop Of Youngsters 2018  (Read 19487 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Crop Of Youngsters 2018
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2018, 12:58:08 AM »
We have to reference Izzy Brown, Yan Dhanda, Scott Sinclair. All left and arguably no further forward than they would have been had they stayed. None had any sort of meaningful breakthrough with Liverpool or Chelsea, and two have already left those clubs on permanent deals.

When Izzy committed at 16 then u-turned, the club supposedly put something in place to stop that happening again. I'm not sure what that is since the player supposedly can't sign until 17 but they said they had done it.

Its important we get players like Field minutes this year though, to prove there is a route.

In terms of finance they are now way ahead though which unfortunately it seems is what drives many rather than time on the pitch.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2018, 05:46:22 AM »
Yeah, and it's not just the kids who get their heads turned by the money, it's the parents too.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2018, 01:33:57 PM »
It would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind our more developed youngsters not playing in the under 23's. Must be something behind it - maybe they think Field, Harper and co should be playing higher level than under 23s or maybe they prioritise the development of younger players as there is a policy of playing youngsters out of their age group.
It might be because they don't want to risk them getting injured because our squad is too small. Just before the loan window closed, Darren was talking about the potential for some of them to go out on loan but, as we only brought Mears in, none of them were loaned out in the end.

Of course, if they don't get into our first team, their opportunity to play at a higher standard has now gone until at least January. We need to keep them match-fit and sharp for when they do get called on (if they do) and for their own continuing development as players.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2018, 08:14:24 AM »
We don't seem to be learning any lessons, despite our failure to integrate more than 1 youngster, Saido Berahino, into our first team.

The decision not to send any of our top young players out on loan is looking worse every week, especially when so few were used last night in a completely second eleven.

Young players take time to develop and need football. Berahino had loan moves at lower league clubs and slowly built to first team with us. Tyler Roberts had loan moves at lower league clubs before deciding his path would be blocked here, and last wekeend started up front for the top team in our division. Ditto Chris Wood who now plays premier league football. Keemar Roofe and Romaine Sawyers didn't get near the first team and left, only to bounce back to the championship after getting a bit of football under their belts.

There are others from our academy like George Thorne, Yan Dhanda and Izzy Brown who are with championship clubs, showing we do produce some footballers from every academy set up, but we don't know who to bring them through.

The likes of Field, Harper, Leko and Edwards needed another loan move if they were not part of our plans, as they are now in a key development stage. Atleast 3 of the 4 should have been considered for a league 1 loan mov le to a club that were lacking in that partocular area of the pitch.

I'm not saying all of these kids are going to make it to the first team of a championship ornpremier league club, butbour past record suggests that a couple of them may very well do that, but our failure to help them on that path os losing us money and potentially putting players off in the future who feel we are no different to a Chelsea or a Man City when it comes to giving players opportunities.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2018, 09:50:05 PM »
Disappointing that none of Edwards, Leko or Burke started last night. I'm afraid it smacks a bit of being easier to leave them out than leave the more senior players out....plus DM has no doubt been heavily involved in the new Mozza contract and the Hoolahan signing so has made some investment in them.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2018, 01:29:04 PM »
I'd be really interested to see what the economics of our academy look like.  Once we take account of building it, scouting for it, coaches, player wages, shared costs of medical staff etc, I wonder what the total cost is and how many stars we need to find for it to break-even.   If it cost £2m each year, do we need to find a Berahino over 5 years or do we break even just by selling a player each year of two to League 1/2 that hasn't quite made the grade?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
i would imagine that £2m is the running costs (staff / maintenance etc..), ie, not including cap-ex
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »
Our under 21’s beat Blackpool at Bloomfield Road in our first checkatrade trophy game of the season.

I think it might be our first win in the competition since youth teams were allowed in. Seems to be a growing trend that lower league clubs are taking it less seriously so are losing more games, like a few today.

Dog of the cap to the 31 Albion fans who went away to watch tonight.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2018, 06:09:25 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/RowdenJRSG/status/1051866413227540480

England under 20s link, featuring Kyle Edwards and Sam Field.

A lot of praise for Sam Field on this account
Boing Boing

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2018, 09:53:59 PM »
Interesting how media reporting today, we have more England youth internationals than Man Ute and Liverpool.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2018, 10:54:21 PM »
16 year old Morgan Rogers, who made the bench vs Mansfield in the cup earlier this season,  scored tonight for England u17s v Brazil. A friend of mine who went (Telford fan) gave this report:

Morgan Rogers - 16 years old West Brom academy striker. Class above for England U17s tonight against Brazil.
Serious player

They were playing at Telford tonight. His goal was just unreal footwork. 3 players around him in the box and he just shifted the ball so quick, dribbled past and slotted it in.
Ridiculously quick, quite tall. Best young player I've seen

I know he's highly rated but we may have a serious prospect on our hands here. Still at 16 there's a long way to go.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »
16 year old Morgan Rogers, who made the bench vs Mansfield in the cup earlier this season,  scored tonight for England u17s v Brazil. A friend of mine who went (Telford fan) gave this report:

Morgan Rogers - 16 years old West Brom academy striker. Class above for England U17s tonight against Brazil.
Serious player

They were playing at Telford tonight. His goal was just unreal footwork. 3 players around him in the box and he just shifted the ball so quick, dribbled past and slotted it in.

I know he's highly rated but we may have a serious prospect on our hands here. Still at 16 there's a long way to go.

If he's this promising we'll never get him signed to a professional contract.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2018, 07:29:15 AM »

Serious player

There was a write up about Morgan Rogers back in September.

Local lad, been at the club since he was seven.

Sounds very promising.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rise-rise-west-brom-starlet-15143289
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »

Serious player

Is this the kid whos scoring for fun at the moment?
Granted he's 16 but seems a serious prospect. Just hope we manage to keep him around the academy/first team in the next couple of years and he doesn't think the grass is greener elsewhere (i.e Sinclair).

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/RowdenJRSG/status/1051866413227540480

England under 20s link, featuring Kyle Edwards and Sam Field.

A lot of praise for Sam Field on this account

Field had a reasonable game playing a sort of libero role in front of back line (each member of which passed the ball immaculately!)
He did however lose his man for the Czech goal.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »
Is this the kid whos scoring for fun at the moment?
Granted he's 16 but seems a serious prospect. Just hope we manage to keep him around the academy/first team in the next couple of years and he doesn't think the grass is greener elsewhere (i.e Sinclair).

Play him.  Simple as that.  There are plenty of players who had Premier League debuts at 16.  Is he a worse option for the last 10 mins than HRK??  If he is playing he may see a future here and aim a long term contract.  If he sees Field, Harper, Leko etc getting nowhere near the first team 5 years down the road from where he is, he may well decide its better to be in Chelsea youth than West Brom youth.  We can’t compete on wages or glamour.  We need to offer the one thing that Chelsea etc can’t offer and that is game time.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
Good shout, at some point we will be looking at someone else other than Dwight / Jay and I would love to see DM give one of the lads a chance and in so doing send a message to all our kids that they could have a future here
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »
Sounds like a serious prospect. I just hope there is a way we can prevent him from leaving given the time and effort that the club have clearly invested in him.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2018, 12:44:24 AM »
Darren needs to be giving these kids a chance or what is the point of having a academy  ??? I believe Field could do a decent job in midfield, Burke could be utilised a head of Mears and what has happened to Leko anyone?