Author Topic: 15 Oct 2016 Albion 1 Tottenham Hotspur 1  (Read 37101 times)

ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2016, 08:58:09 PM »
Lads there's one thing your missing. Loads of managers do the kind of sub Pulis did today to try and shut the game up. Yes granted Pulis does it to many times, i take that on board.

What you all have to remember with this squad of players if we played open football we would be bottom of the table. Lets try and get to xmas, and see if we can add 1-2 top quality players, to go with the likes of Evans, Rondon and Chadli

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2016, 09:03:22 PM »
A fantastic point, well done lads. After the international excursions I would of taken a point all day.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »
Nice to see Brunt back but his arrival didn't change the game, we were better second half before he came on. He'll be competing for a place, not a shoo-in.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2016, 09:37:54 PM »
Nice to see Brunt back but his arrival didn't change the game, we were better second half before he came on. He'll be competing for a place, not a shoo-in.

Thought he looked our most assured passer when he came on.

Made the others look a bit naive (apart from chadli) in my opinion.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »
If anything those who weren't on international duty looked a bit off the pace today, Phillips, Dawson, Yacob. Maybe 2 weeks between games is a bit long given the intensity of prem football.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2016, 11:03:39 PM »
I thought Yacob was quite composed and a better midfielder than his captain.
He certainly supported the front row.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2016, 11:27:37 PM »
Good result considering how awful we were for 60 minutes.

Sick of seeing Fletcher play, another mare from him today. Phillips also looks a dire signing.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2016, 11:31:54 PM »
Dreadful analysis from motd again. Lots on spuds and little mention of foster after spending ages talking about the Everton keeper at man city

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2016, 12:15:14 AM »

Sick of seeing Fletcher play, another mare from him today. Phillips also looks a dire signing.
Don't say how bad Fletcher is....Your post will get removed.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Match Officials
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2016, 05:39:45 AM »
Don't rate Mr Friend, but thought he had an excellent game.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2016, 08:55:07 AM »

Phillips hasn't set the world alight but he's had good games against West Ham and Sunderland. He's looked decent overall....far from dire.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2016, 08:55:28 AM »
Thought Brunt looked class when he came on (and I was probably one of his biggest detractors before he was injured).

Would love to see Morrison in for Fletcher;obviously but that aint going to happen.

Good point, TPs cautiousness lost us the win in the end IN MY OPINION.

Tough games coming up, Come on your Baggies.

IMO, it wasn't cautiousness as such, it was the fact that he made the substitution at all.

We had 11 players on the pitch, all playing with some sort of synergy, every time you make a substitution, you temporarily destroy that synergy.

It makes sense to do that if your'e chasing the game, because you also change the oppositions synergy (they're looking for a new player), but it makes no sense to do it when you're defending a lead with 3 minutes of normal time left.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2016, 09:14:42 AM »
at 0-0 he was warming Morrison up to come on, as soon as we scored he sat Mozza back down and got Go To Gardner on the pitch.
I think if he had stuck with his original decision to bring Mozza on that may have allowed us to hold the ball a bit better for the last 10 minutes who knows. Fine margins between 1 and 3 points
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2016, 09:18:30 AM »
I agree Fletcher started poorly, but he improved and his organisation led to a better second half and a deserved point against the current form team in the division.
Baggie in Southampton

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2016, 09:38:32 AM »
at 0-0 he was warming Morrison up to come on, as soon as we scored he sat Mozza back down and got Go To Gardner on the pitch.
I think if he had stuck with his original decision to bring Mozza on that may have allowed us to hold the ball a bit better for the last 10 minutes who knows. Fine margins between 1 and 3 points

Tbh as soon as I saw Gardner by the line ready to come on I thought "here goes the points".

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2016, 10:24:26 AM »
Wouldn't pick fault with anybody Yesterday but thought Nyom for the first time clearly showed he is a right footer at left back. Good effort but still not sure what to make of him , bit wild at times although not easy against a great Spurs side.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2016, 10:53:28 AM »
Spurs fans not happy on their forrums with the way we play and Pulis in particular. However I though yesterday was a masterclass in how to set up against a top quality side. David v Goliath in a way. They have class in abundance we have a hard work ethic with some skill mainly from Chadli. Whilst I was nervous whenever they attacked I thought our defence was tremendous. Great team performance against a top team

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2016, 11:21:55 AM »
Before the game I said I would be happy with a point. Foster was awesome today, McLean, Yacob and Evans played very well as well. I have never been a great fan of Chris Brunt but it was great to see him back today.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2016, 11:54:06 AM »
Showed the ground at the end of the match on Final Score.  Foster giving his shirt to a wee lad almost brought a tear to my eye, reminded me why I give a Toss.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2016, 12:44:36 PM »
Very disappointed as I left the ground - much more than when leaving Stoke - as I thought one goal would win and we'd snuffed them out second half. Add in the heroics of Foster first half and it looked like our day. 
However, as with most others, I would have taken the point pre match as we enter our difficult clutch of games.

Poor first half where we just sat back and our ball retention and passing particularly dire, Flecther and Phillips main culprits and both full backs being constantly pulled around and looking shaky. McClean stood out as our attacking bright light with Rondon slightly off the pace and little service and Chadli almost non-existent. I was boring and turgid stuff as the sun beat down.
But, we held on and should have nicked the half time with the Rondon miss.
Second half we came out and seemed to push onto them higher up the pitch and we looked much better as some doubts were planted into their defence and the keeper looking prone to accidents with the ball at his feet. They never created much up until our goal and we had a few good pockets of pressure and chances.
Prehaps it was fitting that the finale belonged to the outstanding Ben and his save to deny Eriksen with what would have been a crushing late defeat.

Happy enough now I've had time to digest it all.   
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »
I was impressed by the display. As mentioned, that is how to play against the big sides. Stay in the game for as long as possible and then snatch a goal. I think we looked the better side in the second half, and the vibe was growing between the players and fans. I think we responded to what we were seeing and generated a bit of an atmosphere prior to scoring. When we scored - I haven't celebrated like that or seen others celebrating like that for a while, which I think shows how pleased we were with the goal at that stage. Also we managed to keep the normally pretty loud Spurs away support quiet for most of the game. Shame that we couldn't hold on for the 3 points, but I think most of us would have taken a point at half time.

Overall, even though we weren't free flowing, attacking all game, I have no problem with performances like that where we defend with our lives and then break well. As mentioned in other places, I think our wingers were good yesterday. Phillips was offering defensive help every time Spurs had the ball, as was McClean. Phillips just didn't seem to be having much luck against his fullback, whereas McClean managed to get through a number of times and put in some searching balls.

I would have liked to see Rondon replaced instead of Chadli, as he looked knackered and it wouldn't have upset the balance of the team as much.

Gmac and Evans were both great, however I think Evans picked up his 5th yellow at the end?

Fletcher seemed to be playing higher up the pitch for periods yesterday, meaning that Chadli was left further back which I didn't really understand. I'd like to see Chadli closer to Rondon for any knock downs as he is better with the ball. Yacob also did a good job and kept their midfield quiet.

Spurs reminded me of England, which is no surprise given the amount of England players they've got in the side. I was impressed by the strength of their striker and thought he held the ball up well. Did anyone else notice the linesman wait until Alli stood up from his injury to flag him offside?!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »
I never feel much sympathy for teams that sit back to defend 1-0's and end up concedeing.  The problem with going more defensive is that you have fewer outlets up the pitch and the ball just comes straight back in the next attack. If anything, you need players who can keep possession further up the pitch. I would say you need more players like Chadli.

Still, happy with a point against this Spurs team. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
Wouldn't pick fault with anybody Yesterday but thought Nyom for the first time clearly showed he is a right footer at left back. Good effort but still not sure what to make of him , bit wild at times although not easy against a great Spurs side.
He certainly is no left back,trying to run with the ball on his left foot he did a fair impersonation of a 3 legged Bambi on ice!! Wouldnt mind see him having a run at r/b though as i think teams are queuing up to get at Dawson.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2016, 04:28:43 PM »
Don't say how bad Fletcher is....Your post will get removed.

Absolute rubbish.

And you know it.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2016, 06:24:05 PM »
Phillips hasn't set the world alight but he's had good games against West Ham and Sunderland. He's looked decent overall....far from dire.

Didn't think he was particularly good against West Ham, but did not see all of the Sunderland game so can't comment there. I just fail to see what he is offering currently. Has no pace, Ben Davies had him in his pocket all game long and he isn't overly quick, so you then look at his delivery and I saw no decent balls in. His reading of the game was poor and he didn't offer a great deal defensively unlike McClean on the other flank.