Author Topic: Brandon Thomas-Asante  (Read 94055 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Brandon Thomas-Asante
« Reply #950 on: April 17, 2024, 12:35:40 PM »
faal has scored more goals in league 2 than assante did in his season there ,so I would say there’s a good chance

And I would disagree. I fully recognise the limitations of BTA. However, I see no evidence that Faal is as good (and I have watched him) It's all about opinions.

luke.jones1234

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #951 on: April 17, 2024, 12:39:06 PM »
And I would disagree. I fully recognise the limitations of BTA. However, I see no evidence that Faal is as good (and I have watched him) It's all about opinions.
He can’t be any worse ,but like you say all different opinions

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #952 on: April 17, 2024, 01:12:18 PM »
He can’t be any worse ,but like you say all different opinions

Ridiculous comment of course he can be worse way worse. There are billions of people (literally) in the world worse footballers than Thomas - Asante.

I think some people need to learn some genuine perspective. BTA has scored over ten goals this season in the Championship. You try doing it.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #953 on: April 17, 2024, 02:35:12 PM »
Ridiculous comment of course he can be worse way worse. There are billions of people (literally) in the world worse footballers than Thomas - Asante.

I think some people need to learn some genuine perspective. BTA has scored over ten goals this season in the Championship. You try doing it.

Agreed, it seems difficult for some to accept he is a very decent striker at this level, a bargain for what we paid for him and also not a world beater either. I have no complaints with BTA, his goal output is decent and consistent, and his work rate is top notch.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #954 on: April 17, 2024, 02:52:53 PM »
Agreed, it seems difficult for some to accept he is a very decent striker at this level, a bargain for what we paid for him and also not a world beater either. I have no complaints with BTA, his goal output is decent and consistent, and his work rate is top notch.
Whilst not in the same league as Superbob he cost us the same transfer fee of £300k 32 years ago. 100% Asante is a bargain.inflation ay 😂

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #955 on: April 17, 2024, 02:58:22 PM »

He's definitely not as bad as many are painting him.
An earlier poster said that he was a scorer of great goals rather than a great goal scorer and I think that's correct.
He reminds me of Rondon in a number of ways, hold up play isn't the best at times, never shirks from doing the hard work; scores a few but misses plenty. Like Rondon the more time he has to think about a chance the less likely he is to score it. He's improved from last season and that's important.
I think some would be more appreciative of him if we'd been able to rotate him with either Dike or Maja (or both) but we haven't.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BagAlbion123

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #956 on: April 17, 2024, 05:07:55 PM »
He's definitely not as bad as many are painting him.
An earlier poster said that he was a scorer of great goals rather than a great goal scorer and I think that's correct.
He reminds me of Rondon in a number of ways, hold up play isn't the best at times, never shirks from doing the hard work; scores a few but misses plenty. Like Rondon the more time he has to think about a chance the less likely he is to score it. He's improved from last season and that's important.
I think some would be more appreciative of him if we'd been able to rotate him with either Dike or Maja (or both) but we haven't.

You've hit the nail on the head there, as a squad player he's perfect and it's just the brunt of the responsibility has fallen on him and I think I was harsh on him earlier in this thread, he's had to muster the majority of the striking this season and he obvious is limited in ability but I can never say he's not given 100% ever.

luke.jones1234

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #957 on: April 17, 2024, 05:45:23 PM »

It’s called a figure of speech ,before you get your knickers in a twist ,im talking about championship standard players not”billions”of Sunday league and people who don’t play football etc!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #958 on: April 17, 2024, 09:09:26 PM »
It’s called a figure of speech ,before you get your knickers in a twist ,im talking about championship standard players not”billions”of Sunday league and people who don’t play football etc!

I'll raise you Oli Burke or Ken Zohore then. Figure of speech or not it's still a silly and completely unjust comment. BTA is not a Gayle or a Rodriguez but his stats stack up OK alongside Austin and Robson-Kanu in recent years to give you examples.

Would we like better? Of course we would, we'd all like a Mitrovic but there are a lot out there far worse than BTA.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #959 on: April 18, 2024, 01:21:02 PM »

I'll raise you Oli Burke or Ken Zohore then. Figure of speech or not it's still a silly and completely unjust comment. BTA is not a Gayle or a Rodriguez but his stats stack up OK alongside Austin and Robson-Kanu in recent years to give you examples.

Would we like better? Of course we would, we'd all like a Mitrovic but there are a lot out there far worse than BTA.

I agree a lot worse out there that we have bought in the past that cost far more than BTA's fee and wages.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #960 on: April 18, 2024, 01:59:01 PM »
I would rather have BTA than Karlan Grant, regardless of how much we spent on each, and neither are supposedly centre forwards. BTA over Callum Robinson too
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #961 on: April 18, 2024, 06:10:07 PM »
Whilst not in the same league as Superbob he cost us the same transfer fee of £300k 32 years ago. 100% Asante is a bargain.inflation ay 😂

We also paid £ 250k  for Paul Williams who is one of the worst forwards we ever had . For those who remember that bloke Asante looks like Mbappe compared to him .

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #962 on: April 18, 2024, 08:04:12 PM »
I would rather have BTA than Karlan Grant, regardless of how much we spent on each, and neither are supposedly centre forwards. BTA over Callum Robinson too

I'd rather have Eddie Grant instead of Karlan, whether he wants to dance or not.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #963 on: April 19, 2024, 12:47:44 AM »
I would now put Grant in the same category as Burke and Zohore. All cost us far too much and delivered very little . BTA on the other hand cost us very little and has delivered a lot .

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #964 on: April 19, 2024, 10:26:32 AM »
I'd rather have Eddie Grant instead of Karlan, whether he wants to dance or not.

Got to be a certain age to appreciate that joke, but spot on Igor!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #965 on: April 19, 2024, 02:42:40 PM »
Paul Williams was nowhere as bad as he is labelled. Most of the abuse started when Stuart Pearson left and rumours seemed to blame him. The abuse Williams got was frankly embarrassing. I met him and he was a nice guy and was proud to be at Albion. He despised Bobby Gould.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #966 on: April 19, 2024, 03:15:43 PM »
Paul Williams was nowhere as bad as he is labelled. Most of the abuse started when Stuart Pearson left and rumours seemed to blame him. The abuse Williams got was frankly embarrassing. I met him and he was a nice guy and was proud to be at Albion. He despised Bobby Gould.
I saw Williams, I think it was on his debut against Crystal Palace. I remember him trying a flick with the outside of his boot that looked flashy but didn't come off. It went downhill from there.
With BTA, he also lacks accuracy with his passing and his ball control doesn't allow him to hold the ball for long, but he compensates with his energy and nuisance value for defenders, which foces them into errors.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 03:21:00 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #967 on: April 19, 2024, 04:06:37 PM »
I remember seeing him score a lot of headers for Stockport. When he arrived to us, most passes came to him with his back to goal. Not his strong point. The only time I recall a proper cross to him was the televised fa cup game away to Orient, resulting in a powerful headed goal. We rarely played to this strengths.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #968 on: April 19, 2024, 04:43:56 PM »
Stewart Evans was the worst striker I ever saw. Embarrassing to witness at times. BTA's enthusiastic and works his socks off, but if we're ever going to compete with the elite we desperately need better quality in and around the box where it matters. Dike isn't exactly great either.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #969 on: April 19, 2024, 08:00:53 PM »
Williams was shocking, and it was at a time when £300k was a lot of money, especially for us.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #970 on: April 19, 2024, 08:33:50 PM »
I'll have nothing said against the lad.

He gives it his all and I think he will get better.

By no means an out and out striker, we know it and he knows it, but you cannot deny what he has contributed to this season.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #971 on: April 19, 2024, 09:01:07 PM »
I'd give it my all - doesn't mean I should be a regular starter.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #972 on: April 19, 2024, 09:09:40 PM »
I'd give it my all - doesn't mean I should be a regular starter.

I reckon you’d comfortably get 12 goals  ;D

RuncornBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #973 on: April 24, 2024, 03:28:21 PM »

This made me laugh out loud!  Very good!
Heyyyyyyy, Tim Sherwood, Oooh, Aahh, I wanna knowwww..........Why you're such a.............

luke.jones1234

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #974 on: May 04, 2024, 04:18:39 PM »
Hopefully won’t play him in play offs the lad is useless ,can’t consistently miss the chances he does at this stage