Author Topic: Squad depth - how are people feeling?  (Read 3760 times)

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

Squad depth - how are people feeling?
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:07:10 AM »
Personally im getting more and more positive about the depth of our squad, especially with regards to midfield and if we get Kirkland the goalkeeping department.

Just a striker and centre half left for me and we will have two pretty decent XI's to choose from....

Strongest

---------------------------------Foster------------------------------------

Reid--------------McAuley------------Olsson--------------------Shorey

Brunt-------------Sharner------------Mulumbu-----------------Thomas

---------------------------------Tchoyi-------------------------------------

---------------------------------Odemwingie-------------------------------

2nd XI

---------------------------------Kirkland?------------------------------------

Jones--------------Pablo------------Dawson--------------------Cech

Gera---------------Jara--------------Dorrans-----------------Morrisson

---------------------------------Cox-------------------------------------

---------------------------------Fortune-------------------------------

Either of those options are fairly competitive when you consider we have two capable players in most areas.
I only go for the beer.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

Re: Squad depth - how are people feeling?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »
I am very happy with what we have in reserve, players with Premiership experaince, some very good young players in there too.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:22:19 AM by kris_boing »
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 11:23:50 AM »
Yeah, I agree with the opening post.

In midfield we are very strong. That was our strength last season and will be again this season. It's the defence which is still bothering me. Since the end of last season I have been saying how a top class centre back (think Bassong and Dann) should be our main priority. Sadly we are yet to really strengthen there (there isn't much difference between Meite and McAuley in my opinion) and unless this happens before the season starts I'm going to remain very worried. As for stikers; our back-up is simply not good enough. It's clear we are in the market for another striker so I'm not too worried at the moment. I'm not a fan on Long, but if Roy thinks he is the answer then so be it. Also, it looks like the back-up keeper situation will be resolved soon.

Overall i'm relatively happy with the squad. It's going to be a very tough season, though, so our main players are going to have to really perform on a consistent basis. I'm looking at you Peter, Jonas, Youssouf and Ben.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »
I think we've got enough already to survive again but if we want to kick on then another centre half and striker is a must. Very happy with Gera and Foster. McAuley no better than Meite I don't think. Jones I know very little of. I don't think he'll feature that often. Kirkland would be a useful addition too.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »
Our midfield is easily good enough. It's staggering to see Dorrans in the 'second team' with Jara too who has been linked to some great clubs this summer.

My main concern is defence. Last season Reid was a bit too slow at times and picks up a few too many injuries, whilst I think Shorey is quite over-rated by our fans. As well there's McAuley who I will give a chance, but can't really say. The only one I feel truly comfortable with is Olsson, but I'd also like Pablo in there.

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »
GK: With Foster and Kirkland we would have a very strong goalkeeper roster.

RB: With Reid, Jones and Jara I think we have good competition for this position, although I have reservations about all three.
CB: one more centre back wouldn't go amiss, possibly to replace Tamas (who I'm not a big fan of). I think you need 4 good centre backs in your team in my opinion, with Olsson; Ibanez; McAuley; and a good new signing we'd have that. Also we have Dawson who could come through and Scharner who's experienced in that position and could play there in an emergency.
LB: I think we have an excellent left back in Shorey, and in Cech we have adequate backup. There's also Jara and Jones who could slot in there in an emergency.

DM: Reid and Jara are capable backup to Mulumbu and Scharner, we also have Thorne threatening to break into the squad. I wouldn't play Dorrans there, having to play deep severely reduces his potency. Neither Mozza or Brunt work their either. With Mulumbu, Scharner, Thorne, Reid and Jara (and maybe Jones) I think we're set for this position, however if we get Hargreaves and he stays fit he could be an excellent coup.

LM: the natural position of Brunt and Thomas, two players who stood out last season. Then there's Tchoyi who played there and looked dangerous last season. Also Morrison and Gera can play there, although I'd prefer them on the right. There's even Cech who's done a good job there in the past, Dorrans and Odemwingie can even slot in there if need be.

AM: If we play an attacking midfielder then Dorrans has to play here. Gera, Cox, Tchoyi and Morrison all have a good shout at the position too.

RM: Brunt, Gera, Morrison are all good contenders for this position. Dorrans, Reid, Tchoyi and Odemwingie can play there also.

FW: A lot has been made of Odemwingie not having a replacement, I agree that we need someone who can do the sort of job he does if he's out, but we do have Cox; Tchoyi and Fortune as forwards who are different types of players to Pete. Gera could play a second striker role too. Another striker not too dissimilar to Odemwingie and we'll be set for this position as well.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »
I still think there could be some big gaps at the back and up front.

We don't know if Tcyhoi or Cox can handle it.

McCauley is being billed as an improvement on Meite, but if you look at when Meite signed everything was about how he helped Bolton finish 6th and megson could fall out with himself in the phonebox.

Reid might struggle to play every game and jones is untested, again being billed as an improvement on Zuiverloon but we just don't know.

Ibanez has done nothing for a few years before signing for us and did nothing last year. I dont really think any Albion fan can judge him.

Dawson to date is inexperienced.

Fortune is not a goal scorer, if he has to replace Pete for any length of time we are in trouble.

At the moment, the only definate improvement for me is in goal.  The rest could go either way.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:03:39 PM »
Whilst not wanting to appear too downbeat i'm very concerned about 2 key areas i.e defence in general cb in particular and the striking positions.As of yet i do not feel we have improved either area sufficently to be anything but concerned.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »
I think this is arguably the best squad we've ever had. I just read on the official site that Roy said we're one or two signings away from having the squad he wants. I couldn't agree more, it's a very good team. He wants a second GK and a striker.

I've been a fan of Fosters for a while now, so glad we have him. Also with Gera, I loved him when he played for us last time so to have him return is brilliant news.

All in all, I think each position has strong competition, so this should keep the morale up and as well as the 'fighting' team spirit which seemed to be displayed at the tail end of last season.

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
......................................................................foster.............................................................................
.....reid.............................................mcauley............olsson..................................................shorey.....
.....brunt..........................................mulumbu...........scharner..............................................thomas.....
....................................................................morrison............................................................................
..................................................................odemwingie.........................................................................

......................................................................kirkland............................................................................
.....jara...............................................ibanez...............dawson..................................................cech.....
.....gera..............................................dorrans...............jones..................................................tchoyi.....
..........................................................................cox................................................................................
.......................................................................fortune.............................................................................

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »
I think this is arguably the best squad we've ever had. I just read on the official site that Roy said we're one or two signings away from having the squad he wants. I couldn't agree more, it's a very good team. He wants a second GK and a striker.

On Albion Player last week, Roy said that he would like to sign a defender too, so I don't know what's changed since then, as we haven't signed one! I'll be very disappointed if we don't sign a central defender as McAuley and Dawson can only be regarded as squad players at this juncture.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
Add Ridgewell, Hargreaves and even Long into that squad and we should be comfortable in mid-table.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 04:48:25 PM »
Looks very promising doesn't it at the moment? I just feel we need two or three more additions before we can say the squad is top condition. That being, a back up goalkeeper, striker, and if possible a centre half, and there's still the odd chance that Owen Hargreaves could be given a pay as you play contract.

The first team in my opinion looks very strong, and certainly should be good enough to keep us up in my opinion, although I would swap Graham Dorrans with Somen Tchoyi. The second team although isn't as strong certainly isn't bad either so I do reckon we have two very good teams we could field. What they need is just the correct additions now to push them slightly further.

I'm hoping that the three defensvie additions (Gareth McAuley, Billy Jones & Craig Dawson) have very good seasons and put this to rest that good players can be found in the championship. Although, none of these have Premier League experience, I am confident that they can make the step up.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
Looks very promising doesn't it at the moment? I just feel we need two or three more additions before we can say the squad is top condition. That being, a back up goalkeeper, striker, and if possible a centre half, and there's still the odd chance that Owen Hargreaves could be given a pay as you play contract.

The first team in my opinion looks very strong, and certainly should be good enough to keep us up in my opinion, although I would swap Graham Dorrans with Somen Tchoyi. The second team although isn't as strong certainly isn't bad either so I do reckon we have two very good teams we could field. What they need is just the correct additions now to push them slightly further.

I'm hoping that the three defensvie additions (Gareth McAuley, Billy Jones & Craig Dawson) have very good seasons and put this to rest that good players can be found in the championship. Although, none of these have Premier League experience, I am confident that they can make the step up.

Im with you on this liam. I'd swap dorrans for tchoyi on the starting 11 and i feel we have/will have and excellent squad.

I think we have great strength in depth in the midfield, the defence and up front not as much but once the final few addittions are made im sure we will have a great squad. I really am excited about the coming season now, i know it will be hard but i think if we can get through this next season and survive then we will really kick on. This could be the start of something truly amazing...............by our standards anyway  ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:50:10 PM by baggieboyjop »
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
Another striker is imperative. Anything happens to Pete and it's all over....

Add to that a second keeper and we should be ok.

I would say Hargreaves is still possible but any deal would have to work majorly in our favour and wouldn't say midfield is a major concern anyway.

A lot also depends on how many players leave as well. For example if Marek Cech leaves then were short at left back etc...

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »
A lot also depends on how many players leave as well. For example if Marek Cech leaves then were short at left back etc...
Nobody will leave unless we want them to and have a replacement for them.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »
Its amazing how our fans take likings to players, Tchoyi scored a hat trick on the last day and showed a couple of glimpses of brilliance before that, but no way would i have him starting a match too unpredictable and slow ( even some of fans say they like that about him wtf ?). Still need a centre half and forward which was said at the end of last season, yes our midfield is looking strong and we have a great player in odemwingie, but we need to get these two problems sorted.

bigbadjohn

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »
If Big Jonas or Pete get injured we F*%£*D !