Author Topic: Gareth Barry retires  (Read 187030 times)

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Gareth Barry
« Reply #525 on: January 12, 2019, 09:45:35 PM »

The point is, the much derided Gareth Barry not being picked in midfield at the start of the season is not a stick to beat Moore with using the benefit of hindsight.

I wouldn't worry about sticks to beat DM with there's some who have plenty of them. It's not going to change anytime soon. We've had the most disruption and made a net profit to date on transfer activity and are higher than the two other relegated clubs.

It's time for others to start doing their jobs now.

LD said we shouldn't fear losing our top players and finding replacements for them, so he should have a suitable player lined up for Barnes.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #526 on: January 12, 2019, 10:54:23 PM »
Superb display... again.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #527 on: January 13, 2019, 03:04:24 AM »
I think in the premier league he's as good as finished.
However failure to get promoted he would be worth another year alongside Harper etc
O Albion we love you

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #528 on: January 13, 2019, 06:30:16 AM »
I thought he was top drawer yesterday
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #529 on: January 13, 2019, 07:47:31 AM »
As quoted by Jacko I was 100% in that I wanted Barry out. Same for the rest of the taxi 4. And now I have to admit that both Barry and Livermore have played well this season and seem to have conducted themselves well.

So I totally agree with jackos point and I’ve made the same point previously. To lambast Moore for not playing a player that was booed off the park in his last game last season and nobody really expected to be here this season it just another example of battering Moore for no reason.

Maybe we should actually be saying well done to Moore for getting some outstanding performances out of Barry. But that doesn’t suit the ongoing narrative against Moore unfortunately.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #530 on: January 13, 2019, 08:17:26 AM »
You can trawl through my posts from the last 12 months at no point did I say get rid of the Taxi 4 (incl Barry).

A couple of points:

1) If Barry had been weak-minded he could’ve forced an exit for a nominal fee.
2) Moore could have picked him in Aug stating the only way to get the critics back on side is with performances.  He had to face the music eventually.  As it was, he was behind inferior midfielders for 3 months costing points potentially?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #531 on: January 13, 2019, 08:20:47 AM »
As quoted by Jacko I was 100% in that I wanted Barry out. Same for the rest of the taxi 4. And now I have to admit that both Barry and Livermore have played well this season and seem to have conducted themselves well.

So I totally agree with jackos point and I’ve made the same point previously. To lambast Moore for not playing a player that was booed off the park in his last game last season and nobody really expected to be here this season it just another example of battering Moore for no reason.

Maybe we should actually be saying well done to Moore for getting some outstanding performances out of Barry. But that doesn’t suit the ongoing narrative against Moore unfortunately.

I happen to agree with you there, Gareth actually seems to be enjoying himself. I wonder who that is down to???
MAGA!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #532 on: January 13, 2019, 08:47:19 AM »
No one wanted him in the club never mind the team. The issue of Barry coming in later than he should have and doing well is DEFINITELY with the benefit of hindsight.
I'll be honest , I didn't like the taxi thing and I don't sing that song about it and never will .
My gripe with Barry was I didn't think he had shown much since signing and I didn't want to build a side around a bloke his age . At that point I'd have got rid if I could but I was expecting the club to spend more on a new squad like previous relegations .
Great credit to Barry , he's played very well since getting back in and looks like the player he was elsewhere .
At his age though it will only be a short term thing sadly.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #533 on: January 13, 2019, 08:53:34 AM »
I'll be honest , I didn't like the taxi thing and I don't sing that song about it and never will .
My gripe with Barry was I didn't think he had shown much since signing and I didn't want to build a side around a bloke his age . At that point I'd have got rid if I could but I was expecting the club to spend more on a new squad like previous relegations .
Great credit to Barry , he's played very well since getting back in and looks like the player he was elsewhere .
At his age though it will only be a short term thing sadly.

The good thing about Barry is he can't be affected by losing his pace because he never had any. That said he will be getting that bit slower still and at his age you tire that bit more and you re-act that fraction slower. This could be his last season or he may squeeze one more but that'd be it for sure.

The quality he has though - if he had two yards more pace he'd still be at a top six club.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #534 on: January 13, 2019, 02:51:14 PM »
No one wanted him in the club never mind the team. The issue of Barry coming in later than he should have and doing well is DEFINITELY with the benefit of hindsight.

Would love for you to do your usual trawling through the site to find where I first called for Barry to be played this season, I imagine it was extremely early once I had seen Brunt fail in the centre of midfield in the first game I saw (missed the Bolton game) so it was certainly not hindsight for me...

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #535 on: January 13, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »
Why did it take 3 months approx for Barry to be a regular starter?
It's not good enough and one of the reasons we are no higher than 4th.

Gareth Barry suffered a knee injury last season which required surgery in April. It was described as a minor procedure but he was presumably still rebuilding fitness at the start of this season. He's thirty seven (38 next month) and coming towards the end of his career. Regaining fitness takes time. Regaining full match fitness takes much longer, especially when the general wear and tear associated with such a long career in the top flight of English football is taken into consideration.

He also had to contend with the death of his brother following a car crash near the end of July. I've got no insight as to Gareth's feelings and motivations, and yet I doubt pre season training for a Championship campaign following knee rehab' was at the forefront of his thoughts or life plan at that time. It certainly wouldn't been at the forefront of mine if I'd had his career or his (probable/possible) bank balance anyway. He's back now though and he's doing well, all be it he was fortunate not to have been sent off for a second yellow yesterday.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #536 on: January 13, 2019, 03:08:17 PM »
Boss yesterday and imperative to this team

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #537 on: January 13, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »
I was one who thought we should have let him go at the end last season but i'm glad to say that his performances of late have proved my opinion wrong, keep it up Gareth.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #538 on: January 13, 2019, 03:17:46 PM »
Gareth Barry suffered a knee injury last season which required surgery in April. It was described as a minor procedure but he was presumably still rebuilding fitness at the start of this season. He's thirty seven (38 next month) and coming towards the end of his career. Regaining fitness takes time. Regaining full match fitness takes much longer, especially when the general wear and tear associated with such a long career in the top flight of English football is taken into consideration.

He also had to contend with the death of his brother following a car crash near the end of July. I've got no insight as to Gareth's feelings and motivations, and yet I doubt pre season training for a Championship campaign following knee rehab' was at the forefront of his thoughts or life plan at that time. It certainly wouldn't been at the forefront of mine if I'd had his career or his (probable/possible) bank balance anyway. He's back now though and he's doing well, all be it he was fortunate not to have been sent off for a second yellow yesterday.

Fair constructive points well made, I agree with what you've said.  Sorry, I take it all back and maybe when he was properly introduced it was the appropriate time.

So I now think we can deduce we are far stronger in midfield than was the case in August, in that Barry has become a permanent fixture and Harper's emergence.  Also Livermore in effect has had a mid season break.

So no reason now to not pick the strongest midfield as we enter the final 19 games.  We have seen at Villa Park how the absence of just 1 class midfielder can alter the team dynamic.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #539 on: January 13, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
Fair constructive points well made, I agree with what you've said.  Sorry, I take it all back and maybe when he was properly introduced it was the appropriate time.

So I now think we can deduce we are far stronger in midfield than was the case in August, in that Barry has become a permanent fixture and Harper's emergence.  Also Livermore in effect has had a mid season break.

So no reason now to not pick the strongest midfield as we enter the final 19 games.  We have seen at Villa Park how the absence of just 1 class midfielder can alter the team dynamic.

wheres this 1st class midfielder then ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:27:13 PM by OldburyWBA »

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #540 on: January 13, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »

Just saying about the importance of midfield to any club with Villa falling apart with loss of Grealish.

So no excuse to not play a BALANCED midfield i.e. not too many old men with no pace.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #541 on: February 03, 2019, 08:10:18 AM »
Has been poor last 2 games.  Looks to be the one most affected by the absence of Phillips and Barnes.  Has been superb for 2 months but needs to pick up his game.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #542 on: February 03, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »
Every player has a bad game now and then no matter who they are. He was well below his best yesterday Barry, but he'll bounce back.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #543 on: February 03, 2019, 08:21:49 AM »
But we have tons of options in midfield.  How long do we wait for an upturn?  Plus many midweek games to come.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #544 on: February 09, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »
Completely turned his time around here

Keep it up gareth

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #545 on: February 09, 2019, 07:59:03 PM »
Completely turned his time around here

Keep it up gareth

The coolest head on the pitch today and the best footballer on view for teams in my opinion
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #546 on: February 09, 2019, 08:21:33 PM »
Absolutely baffling that he would get involved in the taxi gate thing at all after a career completely free of any blemish at stain to his name. I’m glad that that one incident hasn’t defined his time with us. I really didn’t think he’d want the hassle of even trying to turn it around but he’s showed again what a great example he can be to our youngsters.

ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #547 on: February 09, 2019, 08:22:50 PM »
I agree i think alot of fans just don't realise what he does for the team, yes he's 38, but its the calming influence, and gives the team a platform to go forward. His positional play, he seems to crop up in the right place at the right time. 

Yes he had a bad game v Boro, but surely everyone is allowed a few in a season. All i know since he came properly into the team and switch to a back 4 weve been alot better.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #548 on: February 09, 2019, 08:59:34 PM »
I agree i think alot of fans just don't realise what he does for the team, yes he's 38, but its the calming influence, and gives the team a platform to go forward. His positional play, he seems to crop up in the right place at the right time. 

Yes he had a bad game v Boro, but surely everyone is allowed a few in a season. All i know since he came properly into the team and switch to a back 4 weve been alot better.
I think most fans DO realise what he offers
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #549 on: February 09, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
I think most fans DO realise what he offers

Agree, it's a minority who can't identify what he brings to the team, a couple of very strange comments in todays in-game thread.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.