Author Topic: Where are the goals going to come from?  (Read 4255 times)

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

Where are the goals going to come from?
« on: August 31, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
Been thinking about our strike force, and about who our out-and-out strikers are. Currently, I think we only have Anichebe and Brown, as the others are often used out wide or as attacking midfielders.

Looking at the stats, our top scorer hasn't got to ten goals on four occasions in the PL (02/03 with 5 goals, 05/06 with 5 goals, 08/09 with 8 goals and last season with 5 goals). 3 out of 4 of those seasons we've been relegated, and only survived last season on goal difference as Norwich's was much worse than ours.

So I don't want to start with the whole negativity thing, as we're only three games into this season. But I have to say that the developing trend is that if our top scorer(s) isn't getting to 10+ goals, it doesn't look good for survival.

Where do you think the goals are going to come from this season? I'm hoping that Brown settles in and becomes a Lukaku for us as I think he has the ability, he just needs someone to work with.

Thoughts?

johhnybaggies 4life

• Junior Baggie

Re: Where are the goals going to come from?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:41:21 PM »
Been thinking about our strike force, and about who our out-and-out strikers are. Currently, I think we only have Anichebe and Brown, as the others are often used out wide or as attacking midfielders.

Looking at the stats, our top scorer hasn't got to ten goals on four occasions in the PL (02/03 with 5 goals, 05/06 with 5 goals, 08/09 with 8 goals and last season with 5 goals). 3 out of 4 of those seasons we've been relegated, and only survived last season on goal difference as Norwich's was much worse than ours.

So I don't want to start with the whole negativity thing, as we're only three games into this season. But I have to say that the developing trend is that if our top scorer(s) isn't getting to 10+ goals, it doesn't look good for survival.

Where do you think the goals are going to come from this season? I'm hoping that Brown settles in and becomes a Lukaku for us as I think he has the ability, he just needs someone to work with.

Thoughts?

Ideye  Berahino  Gardner  Varela  Blanco  and the rest will get some I don't think we'll struggle, aslong as we play attacking one touch football
Stick Together Through Thick And Thin

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 06:03:50 PM »
Ideye  Berahino  Gardner  Varela  Blanco  and the rest will get some I don't think we'll struggle, aslong as we play attacking one touch football
But I can't see Irvine playing attacking football
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

johhnybaggies 4life

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »

It's what he promised
Stick Together Through Thick And Thin

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 06:11:29 PM »

We have already played attacking football under Irvine. Sunderland at home for one.
the regime don't like it man

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »
Ideye, sessegnon, Gardner, brunt, dorrans, varela, blanco, berahino, samaras, anichebe. All capable of scoring 5 goals minimum. There's 50 goals. The problem has never been scoring, it's about tactics and simple defending from the whole team. We could have vidic and terry at the back but if no one else is defending we'll leak goals left right and centre.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 07:08:32 PM »
Ideye, sessegnon, Gardner, brunt, dorrans, varela, blanco, berahino, samaras, anichebe. All capable of scoring 5 goals minimum. There's 50 goals. The problem has never been scoring, it's about tactics and simple defending from the whole team. We could have vidic and terry at the back but if no one else is defending we'll leak goals left right and centre.

Think that is extremely optimistic. Brunt has only ever scored 5 or more once. Dorrans has only ever scored 7 PL goals in total. Ideye has never scored in the PL. Ditto for Varela and Blanco.

Those ten players combined will get closer to 35 than 50 mate I think. Appearances for some of them will be limited too. There are only 35 games left and if it was equally spread around they'd all play half on average so 17/18 games each.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »
Think that is extremely optimistic. Brunt has only ever scored 5 or more once. Dorrans has only ever scored 7 PL goals in total. Ideye has never scored in the PL. Ditto for Varela and Blanco.

Those ten players combined will get closer to 35 than 50 mate I think. Appearances for some of them will be limited too. There are only 35 games left and if it was equally spread around they'd all play half on average so 17/18 games each.

They're all capable of 5 though. Add in the defenders that normally score a few and we'll be fine in that respect. We need to find our identity in terms of playing style and cut out mistakes or we're gone. I'm confident that the starting 11/18 is good enough for top half. But we can't make mistakes like we have been.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 07:34:33 PM »
They're all capable of 5 though. Add in the defenders that normally score a few and we'll be fine in that respect. We need to find our identity in terms of playing style and cut out mistakes or we're gone. I'm confident that the starting 11/18 is good enough for top half. But we can't make mistakes like we have been.

You're missing the point if they all got 5 in 18 thats nearly a goal every 3 games. Better than Long has ever got for example.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »
You're missing the point if they all got 5 in 18 thats nearly a goal every 3 games. Better than Long has ever got for example.

If you think scoring goals is the problem then I'm unsure as to which team you've been watching the past few seasons. Even last season with our worst strike force in years we were 2nd top scorers in the bottom half of the prem. I'm unsure as to why you keep going on about 18 games as most of the players in question will play 30+ this season :-\

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 07:48:18 PM »
If you think scoring goals is the problem then I'm unsure as to which team you've been watching the past few seasons. Even last season with our worst strike force in years we were 2nd top scorers in the bottom half of the prem. I'm unsure as to why you keep going on about 18 games as most of the players in question will play 30+ this season :-\

You've named 10 attacking players. With a goal keeper 4 defenders and Mulumbu only 5 can play at any one time. We've got 35 games left so for the sake of accuracy I've just assumed all of your ten will play an equal number of games. It's very easy maths mate, unless you expect us to play this team for 30+ games:

Foster

Gardner
Dorrans
Anichebe
Brunt

Blanco
Sessegnon
Varela
Berahino

Ideye
Samaras

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »
Very few of our goals are going to come from lumps up to isolated forwards to create something surrounded by 4 defenders. Our midfield is our weakpoint. They take no pressure off our defence and create even less for our forwards. If we created more, our forwards I think can put the ball in the onion bag but at the moment, they are starved of quality service. We could have Van Basten and Cruyff up front and it would make no difference as they too would be isolated and alone.

What we need in our current set up is a 9 foot tall centre forward to win every long ball pumped up to him, who can run the 100 meters in 3 seconds flat to receive said longballs, and is built like Arnold Schwarzenegger to hold off 4 defenders.
He's a lad from the Wrenna

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 08:12:17 PM »

You've named 10 attacking players. With a goal keeper 4 defenders and Mulumbu only 5 can play at any one time. We've got 35 games left so for the sake of accuracy I've just assumed all of your ten will play an equal number of games. It's very easy maths mate, unless you expect us to play this team for 30+ games:

Foster

Gardner
Dorrans
Anichebe
Brunt

Blanco
Sessegnon
Varela
Berahino

Ideye
Samaras

Brunt, samaras, dorrans may only play 15-20 games but the rest should play the majority of the games. There's substitutions in games, anichebe and berahino will be suited to coming off the bench. Then you've got ideye, varela, blanco, Gardner and sessegnon who will play 30+ and score a fair few.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
We just need to hit teams on the counter, quick and fast because we aint good enough to pass our way through 11 players.

We were at our best under Hodgson and Clarkes first 10 games, we hit teams quick before they could get back to defend, then clarke wanted to do it his way and from then we have nose dived and it wont stop until we get a coach that knows how to coach modern football.

Look at Leicester today on the quick counter, reminded me of when we beat Arsenal, Liverpool and gave everyone a run for their money.
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 08:15:36 PM »
Brunt, samaras, dorrans may only play 15-20 games but the rest should play the majority of the games. There's substitutions in games, anichebe and berahino will be suited to coming off the bench. Then you've got ideye, varela, blanco, Gardner and sessegnon who will play 30+ and score a fair few.

Your numbers don't add up. No point debating it further.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 08:20:12 PM »

Thats what we all knew from the off, this is all very depressing
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties