Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 446631 times)

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1150 on: April 07, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »
Has anyone heArd any news of James being spoken to by the club about a new contract?

I am sure he was quoted somewhere as saying that he had not had any discussions, which if he is correct, amazes me....

Whilst not the best player in the league, he is one of our more creative players and I think we have missed his ability to dribble and create.

Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1151 on: April 07, 2016, 12:39:30 PM »
is he fit & ready? Hull Baggie has him in Saturdays team
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1152 on: April 07, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
He can put a foot in , is committed, has skill, can take the ball 'between the lines' from defence to attack, can score one or two and can play in a variety of positions across midfield. We should offer him a new contract.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1153 on: April 07, 2016, 12:56:40 PM »
is he fit & ready? Hull Baggie has him in Saturdays team

He was supposed to be ready for Saturday, after having a set back that prevented him playing against Sunderland.

My including him in the team is more hope that anything else!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1154 on: April 07, 2016, 02:16:53 PM »
He can put a foot in , is committed, has skill, can take the ball 'between the lines' from defence to attack, can score one or two and can play in a variety of positions across midfield. We should offer him a new contract.

I'd agree but for us to improve as a side I don't see him as a regular starter. A good solid squad player for me.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1155 on: April 07, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »
When I think of the rebuild needed and it seems silly to allow him to leave.

Enough squad places to worry about without letting a steady player go.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1156 on: April 07, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »
When I think of the rebuild needed and it seems silly to allow him to leave.

Enough squad places to worry about without letting a steady player go.

It might be Morrison does not want to stay as much as us letting him go. Equally unless Pulis is planning on playing him as a first choice attacking midfielder then I wouldn't have him as a squad player he simply isn't good enough in any other position to justify what are quite likely to be more than decent wages.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1157 on: April 07, 2016, 05:43:27 PM »
Is he not keeping his options open in case Middlesboro win promotion?

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1158 on: April 07, 2016, 07:32:07 PM »
Has anyone heArd any news of James being spoken to by the club about a new contract?

I am sure he was quoted somewhere as saying that he had not had any discussions, which if he is correct, amazes me....
Pulis commented soon afterwards that those quotes weren't quite correct which would suggest we have had talks.  Personally I would be disappointing to see him leave and then to see us to spend a big dollop on someone like Jake Livermore.
"This crack is really moreish."

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1159 on: April 07, 2016, 09:44:26 PM »
Morrison is a key player in this team off the striker, his end product is better than any of the other midfielders, miles better than the next best option Sess.

Big, big dent in our hopes of a cup run and a comfortable March, April and May, I feel he's a big enough miss that instead of being safe early March it could now be mid April before we hit 40 points.
In a morning when you have a cup of tea, do you spend the rest of the day telling everybody that coffee is rubbish?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1160 on: April 07, 2016, 10:05:40 PM »
In a morning when you have a cup of tea, do you spend the rest of the day telling everybody that coffee is rubbish?

My post is worryingly accurate... 40 points in April and what cup run?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1161 on: April 08, 2016, 04:55:20 AM »
Pulis commented soon afterwards that those quotes weren't quite correct which would suggest we have had talks.  Personally I would be disappointing to see him leave and then to see us to spend a big dollop on someone like Jake Livermore.
Is that not like being a little bit pregnant? We are either negotiating something with him or we are not?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1162 on: April 08, 2016, 06:48:25 AM »
I still feel that Morrison is one of the few creative quality footballers that we have in our side.
Personally when you see the like of Jake Livermore's name banded about how can anyone in their right mind think about letting Morrison leave?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1163 on: April 08, 2016, 08:33:35 AM »
I still feel that Morrison is one of the few creative quality footballers that we have in our side.
Personally when you see the like of Jake Livermore's name banded about how can anyone in their right mind think about letting Morrison leave?

I believe myself to be sane so here goes trying to make a case for letting him go (always assuming he wants to stay at the club in the first place)

Q1. Does the coach want to play with a 3 man central midfield?

No go to question 2, Yes go to question 4.

Q2 Does the coach want to play him in an alternative position e.g. Wide Right?

Yes go to question 3 No let him go

Q3. Is the player happy with that role?

Yes Go to question 4. No let him go

Q4. Is he likely to be the first choice player for the likely duration of the contract e.g. 3 years?

No Go to question 5 Yes Offer him the best terms possible.

Q5. Is he the first choice player in his position next season?

No Let him go Yes Offer terms that reflect this but become conditional in the latter years of the contract e.g. options in the club's favour appearance clauses etc..

I think that is a rational framework without threatening anyone with the bogeyman that is Jake Livermore although he is a very different type of player to Morrison. 

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1164 on: April 08, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »

I agree yet people seem happy to let Pulis have loads of money to rebuild. We will need another complete rebuild once he's gone too.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1165 on: April 08, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
I believe myself to be sane so here goes trying to make a case for letting him go (always assuming he wants to stay at the club in the first place)

Q1. Does the coach want to play with a 3 man central midfield?

No go to question 2, Yes go to question 4.

Q2 Does the coach want to play him in an alternative position e.g. Wide Right?

Yes go to question 3 No let him go

Q3. Is the player happy with that role?

Yes Go to question 4. No let him go

Q4. Is he likely to be the first choice player for the likely duration of the contract e.g. 3 years?

No Go to question 5 Yes Offer him the best terms possible.

Q5. Is he the first choice player in his position next season?

No Let him go Yes Offer terms that reflect this but become conditional in the latter years of the contract e.g. options in the club's favour appearance clauses etc..

I think that is a rational framework without threatening anyone with the bogeyman that is Jake Livermore although he is a very different type of player to Morrison.

All that just to say you don't agree  ::)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1166 on: April 08, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »
All that just to say you don't agree  ::)

Personally I got to Q5 and went Yes!! But I'm not the coach and I don't view football the same way as him

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1167 on: April 08, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
I am virtually sure he will sign an extension, probably something like 2 years and an extra in the clubs favor. Personally I have always thought and nobody will ever change my mind but I think he is Pub and we should get rid if want to progress, I also include Sess, Vic and Jonas in the same bracket.
Gera, Gera, Gera

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1168 on: April 08, 2016, 11:23:01 PM »
My post is worryingly accurate... 40 points in April and what cup run?
The point being you pick a good and slate something else immediately
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

mb1

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1169 on: April 11, 2016, 10:09:58 PM »
I am virtually sure he will sign an extension, probably something like 2 years and an extra in the clubs favor. Personally I have always thought and nobody will ever change my mind but I think he is Pub and we should get rid if want to progress, I also include Sess, Vic and Jonas in the same bracket.

ITK or speculation? I think Jimmy is still good enough for the first team and with the rebuild we need in the summer, he is a player that I'd rather we didn't have to replace in addition.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1170 on: April 11, 2016, 10:12:59 PM »
Read on another forum he has turned down a two year deal and is looking to move back up north ,nothing to back that up though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1171 on: April 12, 2016, 02:38:35 AM »
Read on another forum he has turned down a two year deal and is looking to move back up north ,nothing to back that up though.

If you mean North East he must be looking for Championship football

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1172 on: April 12, 2016, 02:41:28 AM »
Unless Middlesbrough get promotion and want him I can't see a club closer to home that he could go to. I wouldn't blame him if he did want to move nearer to home or if he just wanted a fresh challenge to be honest but it would be a shame to see him go especially on a free.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1173 on: April 12, 2016, 08:17:48 AM »
Morrison has been free to talk to other clubs since January, I would have thought his agent would have spoken to all of his options including the teams involved in the championship promotion race 4 of which Burnley,Hull,Sheffield Wednesday and 'Boro are Northern Clubs. I also wouldn't rule out Sunderland even in the Championship if he is strongly motivated by a move home.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1174 on: April 12, 2016, 01:02:53 PM »
Unless Middlesbrough get promotion and want him I can't see a club closer to home that he could go to. I wouldn't blame him if he did want to move nearer to home or if he just wanted a fresh challenge to be honest but it would be a shame to see him go especially on a free.

I agree but I think maybe he wants / needs a fresh challenge. We also need to evolve as a club and I'd like us to be replacing him with better quality. If he stays then he may only be seen as a squad member and not regular starter anymore. The same applies to Olsson who IMO needs moving on for both his and the clubs sake. Whether we can actually attract better quality remains to be seen.