Author Topic: Carlos Corberan  (Read 270622 times)

alex1, baggiebof, KN22 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Carlos Corberan
« Reply #2775 on: May 04, 2024, 03:01:18 PM »
It’s all about opinions Gaz, but I don’t personally think this was a top 4-6 squad and I’d give Corberan much, much higher marks.

We finished midtable in the last two seasons and I think given the weaknesses we have that would have been about par for the course, or even a bit above par.

We started the season without an established striker (and basically played all season without one), an owner who couldn’t care less, and we’ve been taking out loans to keep the club solvent. We had a midwinter transfer season with no money available and no new owner. We spent nothing in transfer fees and we’ve been losing money hand over fist.

Yet he’s managed to get the best out of players - some of whom we’d pretty much written off - and integrated Fellows into the side too. Palmer now looks ann established keeper. And he seems to have created a togetherness amongst the players that can make up for limitations.

To get fifth place out of all that is a 9/10 or 10/10 for me. I think we’re very lucky to have him, and especially to have had him at this incredibly challenging time for the club.
An excellent summing up if I may say so (which I can, as this is a forum  ;D)

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2776 on: May 04, 2024, 03:03:58 PM »
I think the squad is a play off challenger, hard to say exactly where. We lack the top quality players of other teams in the division but the mean quality of our players is also probably higher than most teams so we're a difficult one to place.

I'd say Hull certainly have a better starting 11 than us, and I wouldn't put much between us and the likes of Middlesbrough and Coventry, so making the play offs has to go down as an achievement overall.

Hopefully we put up a good fight though, I don't expect us to win the play offs but a limp defeat will be very disappointing.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2777 on: May 04, 2024, 03:05:10 PM »
An excellent summing up if I may say so (which I can, as this is a forum  ;D)

Everyone is welcome to their opinions, it what makes this forum so good!

I love to hear from people with differing views, i don't think there's any other sport like football where so many people watch the same game and have totally different takes. A good thing in my eyes.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2778 on: May 04, 2024, 03:22:49 PM »
I think the squad is a play off challenger, hard to say exactly where. We lack the top quality players of other teams in the division but the mean quality of our players is also probably higher than most teams so we're a difficult one to place.

I'd say Hull certainly have a better starting 11 than us, and I wouldn't put much between us and the likes of Middlesbrough and Coventry, so making the play offs has to go down as an achievement overall.

Hopefully we put up a good fight though, I don't expect us to win the play offs but a limp defeat will be very disappointing.

You also have to take into account huge injury list to players in same position, boardroom chaos for most of the season with threat of financial collapse hanging over the club. Finish 5th with 75pts and +25 goal difference is big achievement. No need to fear anyone in the play offs either. Every defeat this season has been a very close run thing apart from last week at Wednesday when they had much much to play for than us.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2779 on: May 04, 2024, 03:27:54 PM »
I think he’s triumphed against adversity and been fantastic. He’s not perfect but the only teams that finished above us were the 3 relegated teams and an Ipswich side that spent very, very well. He’s taken 8 points of Ipswich and Leeds. He’s done a cracking job. He has faults and on a Pepe Mel to Tony Pulis scale he goes closer to Pulis but that caution could very well be what has got us where we are.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2780 on: May 04, 2024, 03:42:49 PM »
Those awaiting a failure can put the knives back into the kitchen draw, for now.

Well done CC, a brilliant job.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2781 on: May 04, 2024, 04:02:59 PM »
Those awaiting a failure can put the knives back into the kitchen draw, for now.

He got them well organised and really up for it. This is the Albion I want to see for the next (!!!) three games.....

Thank you King Carlos.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2782 on: May 04, 2024, 04:56:37 PM »
Anyway chaps! Albion - Leeds at Wembley? Leeds fans of a certain generation still don't like us after the infamous 'offside', but what an atmosphere it would be....spine-tingling stuff. And I bet CC would love to get one over on them!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 04:59:18 PM by miggybaggy »

j2burnz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2783 on: May 04, 2024, 05:15:36 PM »
I have to pay tribute to CC.

What he has done this season is nothing short of miraculous.

From the ashes of the Bruce era he has turned us into a very solid team who also play some great footy and rejuvenated players like Kipre, Grady and Furlong and given us our pride back whilst having our soul crushed by the Lai era.

He is the best manager in the championship, mark my words and we have as good a chance as anyone in the play offs with him at the helm.

Big, big toast to CC tonight, love the man.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2784 on: May 04, 2024, 05:16:33 PM »
Anyway chaps! Albion - Leeds at Wembley? Leeds fans of a certain generation still don't like us after the infamous 'offside', but what an atmosphere it would be....spine-tingling stuff. And I bet CC would love to get one over on them!

Wooow, let's get there first.

Got to get past the big obstacle of saints first.

Personally I would have preferred a dejected and knackered Leeds in the semi, and I think so did Norwich, hence there half hearted performance against Blues.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2785 on: May 04, 2024, 05:17:28 PM »

I can only echo this and would love to see what he could achieve if actually given some decent resources. May have to wait for that though……

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2786 on: May 04, 2024, 05:32:47 PM »
I think CC is easily the best asset at the club. When you contrast his dedication and attention to detail to say Bruce ('we'll dust ourselves down and go again') , the contrast couldn't be greater. I know some Albion fans are treating reaching the Play-Offs like winning a trophy, but Carlos won't be one of them. He will want to go on and win at Wembley, especially having experienced defeat there before. Unfortunately, that would really put him in the shop window, but he seems to have a genuine fondness for the club, so I hope he sticks around for a long time. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2787 on: May 04, 2024, 05:38:11 PM »
Everyone is welcome to their opinions, it what makes this forum so good!

I love to hear from people with differing views, i don't think there's any other sport like football where so many people watch the same game and have totally different takes. A good thing in my eyes.
Yes, it's a good thing in my eyes too Gaz. I'm all for a good discussion - unless of course other people disagree strongly with me about something, in which case their fingers should be removed to stop the possibility of them ever posting anything ever again  >:( ;D. But that's just my humble opinion.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2788 on: May 04, 2024, 05:51:39 PM »
Yes, it's a good thing in my eyes too Gaz. I'm all for a good discussion - unless of course other people disagree strongly with me about something, in which case their fingers should be removed to stop the possibility of them ever posting anything ever again  >:( ;D. But that's just my humble opinion.

;D

I know what you mean, i think!  :P

mateinone

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2789 on: May 04, 2024, 05:55:26 PM »
I don't have any confidence in the club to win the playoffs, I think all the recent years have beaten the optimism out of me, or perhaps i am just becoming a grumpy, cynical old bugger.

But if we are knocked out by the Saints, which I expect, this season has to go down as a successful one. The turmoil was building for a long time before finally coming to a head and it would have been very easy for the entire club to lose focus. I feel like Corberan does have the ability to get us back into the Premier League in the next few years as long as the Chairman makes some funds available.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2790 on: May 04, 2024, 06:38:20 PM »
I know I was probably a little bit more optimistic than many fans going into the season. I genuinely thought we would have a shot at the play-offs (I could have said this of a number of clubs) that provided the key players were close to their best and we were fortunate with injuries.

The fact that we finished the season in the play-offs when neither of the above conditions applied is a huge credit to Corberan
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2791 on: May 04, 2024, 08:23:36 PM »
I know I was probably a little bit more optimistic than many fans going into the season. I genuinely thought we would have a shot at the play-offs (I could have said this of a number of clubs) that provided the key players were close to their best and we were fortunate with injuries.

The fact that we finished the season in the play-offs when neither of the above conditions applied is a huge credit to Corberan

We were WAY luckier with injuries compared with last season. Having said this, Corberan still did well with our striker situation. 2/3 of our strikers were out for most the season. At one point he even used Wallace up front as well which says it all.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2792 on: May 04, 2024, 08:31:13 PM »
For me it's very unlikely that we'll win the po.

Getting there was very important though, as it shows Patel that he has a gudun who needs to be backed, and we really need to keep him and help him take us forward.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2793 on: May 04, 2024, 09:53:15 PM »
Not much optimism on here about the play offs, we can beat anyone on the day and they'll all be as worried about us as we are of them. This is the Albion and anything is possible.COYB.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2794 on: May 04, 2024, 09:59:15 PM »
Not much optimism on here about the play offs, we can beat anyone on the day and they'll all be as worried about us as we are of them. This is the Albion and anything is possible.COYB.

Spot on
Remember nobody fancied CC's Huddersfield and they made the final

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2795 on: May 04, 2024, 10:44:32 PM »
Spot on
Remember nobody fancied CC's Huddersfield and they made the final

He finished 3rd with the terriers and was unlucky to not get top 2, and went on a 20;plus unbeaten run.

Getting to the final with them was expected after that.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2796 on: May 05, 2024, 11:13:03 AM »
He finished 3rd with the terriers and was unlucky to not get top 2, and went on a 20;plus unbeaten run.

Getting to the final with them was expected after that.
Where they were on the wrong end of some questionable decisions to the media darlings at the time that was  Forest !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2797 on: May 05, 2024, 11:18:57 AM »
For those that have over the past few weeks been looking for a stick to beat CC with think on this , he has been in charge for about a season and half . After 20+ games last season this team/squad was plumb last in this division . Since then with little money and until very recently an owner with no interest in us as anything but a cash cow CC has taken us to the edge of the play offs last season in to 5th place this time around . IMO that is a tremendous achievement, IF and it’s a bloody big IF he can complete the journey it will be up there with what Megson did all those years ago !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2798 on: May 05, 2024, 12:06:59 PM »
For those that have over the past few weeks been looking for a stick to beat CC with think on this , he has been in charge for about a season and half . After 20+ games last season this team/squad was plumb last in this division . Since then with little money and until very recently an owner with no interest in us as anything but a cash cow CC has taken us to the edge of the play offs last season in to 5th place this time around . IMO that is a tremendous achievement, IF and it’s a bloody big IF he can complete the journey it will be up there with what Megson did all those years ago !

Totally agree but some won’t. I love the club and watch at least 30 games each season but I do not see this super squad that some claim we have. Bang average, lacking strikers and lacking energy compared to many in the same division. Yet here we are, in the play offs. It’s an achievement for sure.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2799 on: May 05, 2024, 01:06:47 PM »
CC has done a great job in making the play-offs given everything he has had to contend with anything else will be asounding.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 01:21:13 PM by OldburyWBA »