Poll

Will you be taking up your option of receiving the Covid vaccine.

Yes
90 (86.5%)
No
11 (10.6%)
Undecided
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1197460 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2175 on: May 07, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »
Every country is sourcing PPE from all over the world, until it arrives they have no input on quality control. I don't get the reaction to stories like this.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2176 on: May 07, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »
Every country is sourcing PPE from all over the world, until it arrives they have no input on quality control. I don't get the reaction to stories like this.

You don't get why people are upset that the government spent days and days talking up this shipment, then it arrived and they talked it up some more, then it turns out to be useless and therefore is putting the frontline workers at even more of a risk?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:27:28 PM by boinging_along »

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2177 on: May 07, 2020, 12:29:17 PM »
Serious question. Is there anything at all, even a little thing, that you would criticise about the government's handling of this crisis?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2178 on: May 07, 2020, 12:32:07 PM »
You don't get why people are upset that the government spent days and days talking up this shipment, then it arrived and they talked it up some more, then it turns out to be useless and therefore is putting the frontline workers at even more of a risk?

How could they have known?

They are asked constantly about PPE, so they disclose a particular shipment, no way of knowing the issues it would have initially regards transit or now quality.

We would be better off leaving them to it instead of continuous faux outrage because wE dOnT lIkE nAsTy ToRiEs.

Serious question. Is there anything at all, even a little thing, that you would criticise about the government's handling of this crisis?

Of course, and I will, when I've got all the facts. Nonsense like this shipment is not a hill to die on.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2179 on: May 07, 2020, 12:48:29 PM »

How could they have known?

They are asked constantly about PPE, so they disclose a particular shipment, no way of knowing the issues it would have initially regards transit or now quality.

We would be better off leaving them to it instead of continuous faux outrage because wE dOnT lIkE nAsTy ToRiEs.

Of course, and I will, when I've got all the facts. Nonsense like this shipment is not a hill to die on.
You've obviously never run a business then for one thing. When you put in a huge expensive order for something, you don't pay for it until you have checked that the quality is as specified in the order. I'm assuming here that the quality was specified. Also, it's not a great idea to make a big public announcement about it unless you are very confident that a) it will arrive when you say it will and b) it will be of the required standard. I'm genuinely surprised that you don't get the backlash when it all goes pear shaped.
Re the bold bit - I take that as as no then, as you can always say that you don't have all the facts. In any case, that's never stopped you up until now.
PS Your keyboard seems to be in a state of rebellion !!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2180 on: May 07, 2020, 01:02:17 PM »
So much for relaxing the Lockdown. Further 3 week extension in Scotland, we will follow suit I expect.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2181 on: May 07, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »
So much for relaxing the Lockdown. Further 3 week extension in Scotland, we will follow suit I expect.

They've gone solo since day 1

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2182 on: May 07, 2020, 01:20:39 PM »
I see ons have said blacks stand higher chance of dying

Why haven't Africa / Asian country countries been heavily hit ?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2183 on: May 07, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »

You have to catch it first...

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2184 on: May 07, 2020, 01:26:58 PM »
You've obviously never run a business then for one thing. When you put in a huge expensive order for something, you don't pay for it until you have checked that the quality is as specified in the order. I'm assuming here that the quality was specified. Also, it's not a great idea to make a big public announcement about it unless you are very confident that a) it will arrive when you say it will and b) it will be of the required standard. I'm genuinely surprised that you don't get the backlash when it all goes pear shaped.

The problem is the Government have got into the habit of massaging and spinning the facts. It all sounds like PR marketing people are running their press office. (also, wasn't Boris' partner in PR?). So any prospect of good news gets spun as if its definitely  happening. I would tell their spokesmen to shut up until something has definitely been delivered.
Same applies to the SAGE group. Lets just have some transparency. I'd like to see the scentists giving their uncensored and frank views. Not filtered through the Downing Street press office.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2185 on: May 07, 2020, 01:31:30 PM »
It's been leaked that we can expect a reduction in the severity of the guidance on lockdown to be announced on Sunday. I don't expect BJ to go back on that. However, I agree with what you said in a previous post, that it won't be anything too dramatic at this time, and will be done gradually (hopefully anyway). Scotland is a bit behind England in terms of first case reported etc so their curve is a little bit different. There is also much less enthusiasm amongst the public in Scotland I sense to rush back to normality until the number of cases have dropped more and are staying dropped. They are able legally to make their own decisions about timing, so not really surprising that they are doing just that. For what it's worth, I think they are right to be cautious.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2186 on: May 07, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »
The problem is the Government have got into the habit of massaging and spinning the facts. It all sounds like PR marketing people are running their press office. (also, wasn't Boris' partner in PR?). So any prospect of good news gets spun as if its definitely  happening. I would tell their spokesmen to shut up until something has definitely been delivered.
Same applies to the SAGE group. Lets just have some transparency. I'd like to see the scentists giving their uncensored and frank views. Not filtered through the Downing Street press office.
Apparently, that is exactly what  the Department of Health advised, but they were overruled.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2187 on: May 07, 2020, 01:44:56 PM »
It's been leaked that we can expect a reduction in the severity of the guidance on lockdown to be announced on Sunday. I don't expect BJ to go back on that. However, I agree with what you said in a previous post, that it won't be anything too dramatic at this time, and will be done gradually (hopefully anyway). Scotland is a bit behind England in terms of first case reported etc so their curve is a little bit different. There is also much less enthusiasm amongst the public in Scotland I sense to rush back to normality until the number of cases have dropped more and are staying dropped. They are able legally to make their own decisions about timing, so not really surprising that they are doing just that. For what it's worth, I think they are right to be cautious.

Cheers for that re. Scotland,  I've not paid a great deal of attention to our friends up north, what I would say is Sturgeon was talking about relaxing the rules only a couple of days ago and has backtracked so possible we will too, also if govt doesn't like the leak response (which is what it will have been done for) they will have no problem walking it back imo.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2188 on: May 07, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
Apparently, that is exactly what  the Department of Health advised, but they were overruled.
I rest my case!
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2189 on: May 07, 2020, 02:02:36 PM »

I saw one story about a country that had zero confirmed cases and the reason was due to them not having the equipment to test

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2190 on: May 07, 2020, 02:48:34 PM »

Cheers for that re. Scotland,  I've not paid a great deal of attention to our friends up north, what I would say is Sturgeon was talking about relaxing the rules only a couple of days ago and has backtracked so possible we will too, also if govt doesn't like the leak response (which is what it will have been done for) they will have no problem walking it back imo.
We'll see. I still think he will pay some lip service to relaxing the lockdown a bit, but you may be right, especially if this survey for the Mail about public attitudes proves to be accurate.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/exclusive-will-coronaphobia-thwart-easing-lockdown-62-of-britons-fear-virus-more-than-economic-meltdown-with-seven-in-10-backing-people-who-refuse-to-return-to-work-as-keir-starmer-insists-restrictions-must-stay-until-testing-capacity-rises/ar-BB13JHML?ocid=msedgntp

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2191 on: May 07, 2020, 02:57:54 PM »

IMO our current Health minister is doing his best with the hand he was given.

What does amaze me is the man who gave him the hand is now chair of the Health & Social Care select committee, scrutinising his actions.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2192 on: May 07, 2020, 03:18:16 PM »
A spokesman for Boris Johnson told reporters:

Any easement to the guidelines next week will be very limited.

We are at a critical moment in the fight against the virus and we will not do anything which risks throwing away the efforts and sacrifices of the British public.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2193 on: May 07, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »
Watching the Science and Coronavirus Select Committee, Prof Edmunds confirms track and trace was not working when abandoned in March (so correct decision) and numbers of new infections will need to come right down for it to be effective going forward.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2194 on: May 07, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »
The reality is, people are going to increasingly become restless if they impose another 3 week lockdown. That's not to say i don't think it's the right call, i just know it's a big ask for a significant number of people in order to maintain mental health and wellbeing, myself included. You have to weigh all factors up, but unless enforcement is stepped up expect more people driving out to green spaces, congregating in parks, and visiting neighbours. It's just to be expected. Traffic is on the rise, increasingly more people are spending longer outside and all in all, people are just fed up of it all. As has been said before, any easing of lockdown is going to be very slight but given hundreds of new deaths are being reported daily, i can't see any imminent change to the way we are now. Sod 2020, honestly.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2195 on: May 07, 2020, 04:23:26 PM »
More information from Select committe Prof Sir Spiegelhalter states he is unwilling to make "the outcome would have been this if we had done this instead" statements. He considered such to be entirely speculative.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2196 on: May 07, 2020, 04:42:49 PM »

There is a lot of sun in those places.
The sun is a very strong disinfectant.
Disinfectant kills a lot of bacteria and viruses.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2197 on: May 07, 2020, 04:44:16 PM »
Never ceases to amaze me the duplicity of the Labour party and the media, clamouring for information about how we get out of lockdown, now squealing like stuffed pigs because Boris is going to talk about it, unbelievable.
Baggie in Southampton

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2198 on: May 07, 2020, 04:46:09 PM »
There is a lot of sun in those places.
The sun is a very strong disinfectant.
Disinfectant kills a lot of bacteria and viruses.

Not a glut of Tube trains in Nigeria either.😁
Baggie in Southampton

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2199 on: May 07, 2020, 04:46:18 PM »
Watching the Science and Coronavirus Select Committee, Prof Edmunds confirms track and trace was not working when abandoned in March (so correct decision) and numbers of new infections will need to come right down for it to be effective going forward.
It was never implemented was it?