Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 843856 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #2300 on: December 08, 2018, 01:08:21 PM »
Anyone know how many player's have started for us this year must be the fewest in league

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2301 on: December 08, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
As I see it, following the relegation, the steady decline, chopping and changing of Head Coaches (4 in one season if you count Sir Gary) and looking at the Summer transfer upheaval (particularly the loss of our best GK for years) and teams we were putting out in the first few pre- season friendlies in the Summer, then if anyone had asked us if we would be satisfied to be sitting in 3rd place (appreciate that may change later today) and scoring 44 goals in the league, then for the majority of us, we'd have definitely exceeded expectations.

Darren Moore deserves huge credit for that. He also represents the club with great dignity.

Whether it'll get us promotion, well who knows?

Looking at the table, even going as low as 12th place Stoke, you see teams who could conceivably put together a run of results to catapult themselves into automatic contention.

In addition, from the outside looking in, it does appears that there's no great pot of cash left over from the Prem era and it's a matter of wheeling and dealing on a self financing basis.

Of course there's been issues, with formations, some of the Summer recruitment of players hasn't quite worked as we'd all hoped and defensive frailties have raised their ugly head which we clearly need to work on, but as we approach the end of the year, I'm not really sure anyone could have got more out of this squad than he has.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:45:37 PM by Brummie Road »

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2302 on: December 08, 2018, 03:44:13 PM »
Anyone know how many player's have started for us this year must be the fewest in league
i dont know about starting  but i can tell you that we've used 24 players so far, which is around the average.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2303 on: December 08, 2018, 04:10:52 PM »
I’ve been saying for the last 2 months that the midfield wasn’t mobile enough.  We’ve been better with Morrison but for me we’ve got some tough decisions to make in January or June.  We need to decide what we do with Brunt, Hoolanhan, Barry and possibly Livermore and Morrison. 

I reckon we’ll get away with it against the lesser sides as our overall quality should tell.  The teams we play with greater quality will punish us (certainly if we get promoted).

The other point i’ll make is that if Sako and Burke aren’t utilised over a hectic Xmas then surely they’ll be surplus to requirements too?

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2304 on: December 08, 2018, 05:43:36 PM »
We have a few quality players but a poor squad (despite what the media says). Moore needs to be backed in January. A right back and 2 younger centre midfielders with energy (box to box) are vital. A new goalie might be good too ;)
I think DM is doing a good job all things considered.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2305 on: December 08, 2018, 08:20:17 PM »
I’ve been saying for the last 2 months that the midfield wasn’t mobile enough.  We’ve been better with Morrison but for me we’ve got some tough decisions to make in January or June.  We need to decide what we do with Brunt, Hoolanhan, Barry and possibly Livermore and Morrison. 

I reckon we’ll get away with it against the lesser sides as our overall quality should tell.  The teams we play with greater quality will punish us (certainly if we get promoted).

The other point i’ll make is that if Sako and Burke aren’t utilised over a hectic Xmas then surely they’ll be surplus to requirements too?

Hoolahan will be released. Sako seems a strange one because he hasn't even had a go. Might as well get rid of him too. Barry will be released come summer regardless of division and possibly Brunt if we're going to continue with 433.

Mears should be released on the basis we're going to sign a good right back whose going straight into the first 11.

Kids need to go out on loan; leko Edwards field etc. Although if hoolahan is released and Burke gets shipped out maybe Edwards will get a go.
O Albion we love you

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2306 on: December 08, 2018, 11:44:48 PM »
This seems like a circular argument. On the one hand we do have the one of the better squads in the Championship and possibly Moore could be getting better results out of it although we are a bit off the automatic places we have spent most of the season in the top 6. After the dislocation of relegation that is better than a lot of relegated teams have managed in recent seasons.

I honestly cannot see how posters can be seriously suggest that we should be replacing him
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2307 on: December 09, 2018, 12:47:47 AM »
This next transfer window is possibly the most important of recent times.

It will show us the owners intentions and the recruitment skills of the new team of LD and Co and their knowledge and connections.

If the right players are brought in then we can push for top 2, but if they aren't then we will be lucky to scrape into the top 6.

Fingers crossed we'll be a much more handyside by the time we play the vile next time.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2308 on: December 10, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »
People have been complaining about Darren Moore's use of substitutes this season, quite rightly at times, but his decision to bring Brunt on on Friday certainly influenced the game. It was his pass that led to the cross for the equaliser.

We went 4-2-4 chasing the equaliser on Friday (Brunt and Barry in midfield, Barnes left, Burke right, JRod and Gayle through the middle) - again a Darren Moore decision which paid off. Phillips pushed further forward as the game went on and in the end played as an attacking right back and it was he who provided the cross for the hand of Rod goal.

Well done Darren.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2309 on: December 11, 2018, 08:12:32 AM »

We've started every game with 11 players on the pitch, same as every other club in the league! :D

There are 13 teams that have used less players than us. Rotherham have used the fewest with 21, Ipswich have used the most at 28, we are pretty much slap bang in the middle, as Hunnington Baggie has said, with 24 players used so far. Bolton, Bristol City, Leeds and Forest have also all used 24 players so far.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/eingesetztespieler/wettbewerb/GB2
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2310 on: December 11, 2018, 11:58:53 AM »
The only way we'll be close to promotion spots or play offs is to invest in at least three players - RB, Centre Mid and Striker. That's if we don't lose any players.

Darren has done well with a good squad but it's not a squad of World beaters. Also, it's very tailored for defensive work whilst he's tried to open us up a bit more - Remember Pepe Mel's attempt at this (amongst others) !

I'm not exactly buzzing at the moment but if we bring in a few players in January who can make a difference with extra legs and quality, then who knows, we might be up there. I personally think a play off place would be a good achievement this year, provided there are signs we're building and not just living year to year as we have done in the past few years................

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2311 on: December 15, 2018, 05:02:55 AM »
To think some thought Darren was clueless and wanted him gone

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2312 on: December 15, 2018, 06:30:41 AM »
Moore has been absolutely outstanding. To take on the post Pardew and Pulis shambles, detain key players, change the style of play and get us to where we are is some achievement. We’ve had one blip in form and answered it really strongly which is a great sign. Clearly the squad is a little unbalanced and we need to retain our perky players but also bring in a right back as every time our midfield look out to the right they have to turn back in because Tosin is staying too deep (Not a criticism of him).

But well done Moore.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2313 on: December 15, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »
He's doing a fantastic job.

There are some people that want him out it's absolutely mind blowing. That's football fans I suppose.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2314 on: December 15, 2018, 10:01:45 AM »
A coach finding out if he has what it takes to be a manager, doing pretty well so far if you ask me - not very comfortable in front of the mic so he falls back on cliches a bit, but at least he isn't driven by ego like the last two specimins we had.  Now for the Xmas congestion/FA Cup, see what he makes of that.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2315 on: December 15, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »
Think we were very poor up until goal last night and with back four looking shaky again, goals change games and how true that was for us. Why wait till half time to tweak tactics that should be done during game, only tactics I saw was to let Sheffield United run themselves into ground. Two gripes I have with coaching staff was one why put our best finisher out on wing to accommodate anonymous Rodriguez and two with 5 games coming up in fifteen days why wasn't bench utilised.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2316 on: December 15, 2018, 12:34:34 PM »
He's done very well so far. He's a rookie still let's remember.  He has to continue rebuilding whilst getting results which is a very tough task.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2317 on: December 15, 2018, 01:23:00 PM »
Think we were very poor up until goal last night and with back four looking shaky again, goals change games and how true that was for us. Why wait till half time to tweak tactics that should be done during game, only tactics I saw was to let Sheffield United run themselves into ground. Two gripes I have with coaching staff was one why put our best finisher out on wing to accommodate anonymous Rodriguez and two with 5 games coming up in fifteen days why wasn't bench utilised.

The bench is terrible and I have not seen such game management from us ever away from home it was that good in the second half last night so why change it?

DM is doing a stellar job with an incredibly bad hand, where everyone has left in the summer and he and Jenkins were doing it all. Then "trusted" Albion fan Cutler jumped at the first opportunity and it's been chopping and changing all along.

Hopefully, we have now begun to settle and the recruitment of LD and IP will have us advance.

The next window is probably the most important in our history.

We don't have to spend millions but we need to bring players in.

When I would consider is Harrison Reed on loan at Blackburn and see if Southampton want to sell or at the very least if his loan move to Blackburn is season long.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2318 on: December 15, 2018, 01:59:59 PM »
The second half last night and the Leeds game are the only two times we've looked great this season. I've read opposition forums after every game and Sheff Utd/Leeds are the only two where we've been particularly praised, matching my opinion on all of our performances to date. Even QPR fans could see we weren't all that after we beat them 7-1, which I'd also agree with.

I still have little confidence in Moore and he will have to do a lot more that steer the best team in the league to 3rd with 1 clean sheet in 22 for that to change. That still doesn't mean I won't praise him when he gets things right (e.g. not bringing subs on after we took the lead yesterday because we were comfortable.).

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2319 on: December 15, 2018, 02:36:10 PM »
Strange that we occasionally criticise Darren for his subs, but let’s be fair he is still learning his craft. Not so long ago when we were all done and dusted a certain chap would bring on Gardner..... that went well didn’t it...so when we have a go at Darren let’s remember a chap with a lot of experience sometimes got it wrong
MAGA!

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2320 on: December 15, 2018, 04:02:49 PM »
Strange that we occasionally criticise Darren for his subs, but let’s be fair he is still learning his craft. Not so long ago when we were all done and dusted a certain chap would bring on Gardner..... that went well didn’t it...so when we have a go at Darren let’s remember a chap with a lot of experience sometimes got it wrong

I criticise him for lack of subs most weeks because it is detrimental to the team. It was blindingly obvious that Morrison was knackered after we took the lead against Brentford, Moore left him on and Morrison was at fault for the equaliser because he couldn't close down quick enough. Last night we were all over Sheff Utd after we scored and closed the game out perfectly, there was no need for a substitution so kudos to Darren for that.

As for Pulis, I was one of his biggest critics on here. Totally outdated dinosaur of a manager who is currently being found out at Middlesbrough. There are a lot of head coaches I'd swap Moore for, Pulis isn't one of them.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:06:33 PM by wba_1996 »

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2321 on: December 15, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
I do think it's a bit contradictory to complain about the number of fixtures while not making subs in games like last night.  If we'd swapped Jrod for Sakho, would that have made much difference to the result? I doubt it.  It would have given Jrod some rest and Sakho a run out though.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2322 on: December 15, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
The obsession with substitutions (relating to Moore) is strange. Our bench is poor, I don't see loads of options. After 20 minutes last night half of the fans wanted Barry subbed off and he was man of the match :)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2323 on: December 15, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »

A tactic that worked well by all accounts.....

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2324 on: December 15, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »
The bench is terrible and I have not seen such game management from us ever away from home it was that good in the second half last night so why change it?

DM is doing a stellar job with an incredibly bad hand, where everyone has left in the summer and he and Jenkins were doing it all. Then "trusted" Albion fan Cutler jumped at the first opportunity and it's been chopping and changing all along.

Hopefully, we have now begun to settle and the recruitment of LD and IP will have us advance.

The next window is probably the most important in our history.

We don't have to spend millions but we need to bring players in.

When I would consider is Harrison Reed on loan at Blackburn and see if Southampton want to sell or at the very least if his loan move to Blackburn is season long.

Totally agree on Harrison Reed he is exactly what we need thought he had a very good game for Blackburn at our place