Author Topic: 11 July 2020 Blackburn 1 Albion 1  (Read 39417 times)

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #275 on: July 11, 2020, 05:51:10 PM »
Take away what happens with Leeds, Brentford and Fulham - it’s up to us to win our games. Regardless of our current record of one win in eleven at Ewood Park, this game should have been put to bed long before it became 1-1. The game really changed with Bilic’s tactical changes. The pressure now is huge. I’m feeling it, most of the members of this forum are feeling it and I no doubt imagine the club is feeling it given what’s at stake. I just don’t think the Albion are capable of getting two wins and a draw in the next three games.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #276 on: July 11, 2020, 05:56:58 PM »
Don't think its actually that bad a result. Fulham will be a very tough game which we absolutely cannot lose, but 7 points from the last 3 isn't so bad.

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #277 on: July 11, 2020, 06:03:09 PM »
Don't think its actually that bad a result. Fulham will be a very tough game which we absolutely cannot lose, but 7 points from the last 3 isn't so bad.

Exactly this, it’s still in our hands.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #278 on: July 11, 2020, 06:06:34 PM »
Take away what happens with Leeds, Brentford and Fulham - it’s up to us to win our games. Regardless of our current record of one win in eleven at Ewood Park, this game should have been put to bed long before it became 1-1. The game really changed with Bilic’s tactical changes. The pressure now is huge. I’m feeling it, most of the members of this forum are feeling it and I no doubt imagine the club is feeling it given what’s at stake. I just don’t think the Albion are capable of getting two wins and a draw in the next three games.

I think you’re right here we have been the first to crack under the pressure. Brentford past 2 games have been pegged back and gone on to win, we went to absolute pieces the minute Blackburn equalised. I’m sure I’ll be more positive come Tuesday but boy has that lead we had soon evaporated.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #279 on: July 11, 2020, 06:10:00 PM »

It’s not the worse result but i don’t think we should pretend it isn’t bad. We should have won comfortably today and that would have taken the pressure off Tuesday and I think it would have been hard to see how Brentford could catch us.

Instead we now play one of the toughest games of the season with an incredible amount of pressure.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #280 on: July 11, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »
Exactly this, it’s still in our hands.

Look at the statistics though. The current top 6 is made up of:

Leeds
West Brom
Brentford
Fulham
Forest
Cardiff

Without the home fixture against Fulham bring played yet we’ve only managed 2 wins against those other 5 promotion chasing teams. An away win against Forest and a home win against Cardiff. Of the 24 points that we’re up for grabs against these teams we’ve claimed 9 points them. It doesn’t make for very good reading does it...

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #281 on: July 11, 2020, 06:17:43 PM »
We’ve bottled it big time ,  been poor since restart but rallied against Derby only to fall at the next hurdle.
Subs for subs sake today, killed the game.
Don’t expect any better against Fulham as Bilic will struggle to pick a side after that.
Our season will be defined by us praying for Brentford to fail and even then, we’ll have to beat the truly awful Huddersfield and QPR.
Tat

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #282 on: July 11, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »
Glaringly obvious, we need a box to box, pacey, energetic and steely midfielder to replace Livermore. Barley is and was never good enough and needs replacing with a quality central defender who can head and pass the ball. Austin could have cost us automatic promotion today and will need replacing with a goal scoring striker with pace and the coolness needed in front of goal. If we go up these are the key recruitment targets and a if we have the money a decent right sided fullback

Albion have never had the killer instinct and the tenacity to win at all costs, attitudes need to change, I don't want us to be a nice family club, I want us to be fighters and winners who can play good football but can battle as well. A never say die attitude is demonstrated by Sawyers and Harper, don't give me languid, it ain't good enough :(

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #283 on: July 11, 2020, 06:20:32 PM »
I think you’re right here we have been the first to crack under the pressure. Brentford past 2 games have been pegged back and gone on to win, we went to absolute pieces the minute Blackburn equalised. I’m sure I’ll be more positive come Tuesday but boy has that lead we had soon evaporated.

It has evaporated, sadly. I’ll be much more positive IF we go 2-0 up at home to Fulham with 2 minutes of play left till the end of the game.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2020, 06:20:41 PM »
Look at the statistics though. The current top 6 is made up of:

Leeds
West Brom
Brentford
Fulham
Forest
Cardiff

Without the home fixture against Fulham bring played yet we’ve only managed 2 wins against those other 5 promotion chasing teams. An away win against Forest and a home win against Cardiff. Of the 24 points that we’re up for grabs against these teams we’ve claimed 9 points them. It doesn’t make for very good reading does it...

I was just going to look at this. Really hard to be Positive going into the Fulham, and they dominated us for large periods at the cottage. Then today despite dominating we get just one goal. The form is definitely pointing against us taking 3 points which would be oh so precious.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 06:22:17 PM by Wbamitch »

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #285 on: July 11, 2020, 06:26:04 PM »
Johnstone man of the match.

He saved us from what would have been a disaster.

We cannot afford to drop any more points IMO.
He made one save! If kanu had missed that everyone on here would be slating him. It was a rubbish finish shot straight at him. He should have stopped their goal.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #286 on: July 11, 2020, 06:30:03 PM »

You're right it isnt. It actually makes very little difference to the position we're in with only three games to go.

You can see by their posts that some people are over reacting but that's natural, they are frustrated and disappointed that we didnt win a game we should have won in a canter.

It was critical we didnt lose and we didnt.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #287 on: July 11, 2020, 06:31:32 PM »

Albion have never had the killer instinct and the tenacity to win at all costs, attitudes need to change, I don't want us to be a nice family club, I want us to be fighters and winners who can play good football but can battle as well. A never say die attitude is demonstrated by Sawyers and Harper, don't give me languid, it ain't good enough :(

Amen to that!! As a club we’re simply not ruthless enough. I had this debate with Albion82 on here some weeks ago prior to the season hiatus. The point I was making was as fans (especially when you’re going to the Hawthorn’s and playing teams in the second tier of English football with the player resources we’ve had this season and last) we should be going into these games with the mindset that ‘we’re going to win today’. Anything less than that I find acceptable. I’m sick of this ‘oh typical little old Albion’. The whole mindset of the club needs to change.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #288 on: July 11, 2020, 06:36:45 PM »
I was just going to look at this. Really hard to be Positive going into the Fulham, and they dominated us for large periods at the cottage. Then today despite dominating we get just one goal. The form is definitely pointing against us taking 3 points which would be oh so precious.

I want to see us go into this match on Tuesday and boss it, start to finish. Send out the message clearly to Leeds and Brentford that we’re going up automatically this season.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #289 on: July 11, 2020, 07:01:26 PM »
If ever a game illustrated our desperate need for a proven goal scorer in the mould of a Kevin Phillips or Gayle that was the game.  Charlie can’t last much more than 60 mins and HRK is a total waste of space generally contributing absolutely zilch to our team.

Subs were unfathomable especially Grosicki and Livermore when we were totally bossing midfield. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

People say Johnstone saved us. Both shots he saved were straight down his throat directly at him. My dear departed mum could have saved them for goodness sake.

Having to rely on goals from midfield non-strikers Could very well be our downfall. That said, it’s an exciting league in spite of the exasperation.

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #290 on: July 11, 2020, 07:15:34 PM »
If we had a proper first team striker (Gayle, Rodriguez) we’d be 10 points clear of this league

We were 13 points clear at one point
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #291 on: July 11, 2020, 07:21:01 PM »
We were 13 points clear at one point

For this very reason, I’m not convinced about Bilic.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #292 on: July 11, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »
as many have said itvws the subs that cost us.
I got in the car to drive back from work just as the second half started.
The commentator mentioned that HRK, Harper, and Robinson were coming on as subs.
That was the last and only time that their names were mentioned.
Not good enough Albion
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #293 on: July 11, 2020, 07:25:56 PM »

Robinson has never impressed me either.
West Brom 2023/24

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #294 on: July 11, 2020, 07:26:27 PM »
as many have said itvws the subs that cost us.
I got in the car to drive back from work just as the second half started.
The commentator mentioned that HRK, Harper, and Robinson were coming on as subs.
That was the last and only time that their names were mentioned.
Not good enough Albion

The subs and missed chances cost us. Yes Townsend and particularly Bartley should have done better for their goal but you cant keep a clean sheet every single game, we had more than enough chances to put that game to bed and they weren't half chances they were golden chances.

Bilic seems to have this mindset that he has to make substitutions. He was wrong to do so today, we didnt need subs.

At the time did anyone think "oh good this will help us?" I certainly didnt.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #295 on: July 11, 2020, 07:32:44 PM »
He made one save! If kanu had missed that everyone on here would be slating him. It was a rubbish finish shot straight at him. He should have stopped their goal.

Johnstone is the reason we got a point.
Without that save we walked away with 0 points.

Kanu has missed plenty of sitters and if we had an half decent striker we would have scored atleast 3/4 goals.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #296 on: July 11, 2020, 07:33:27 PM »
I have been out all afternoon. Caught a few glimpses of the TV. I still can't see why Kanu comes in. We were an attacking side 1 nil up and he throws on a holding player.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2020, 07:35:33 PM »

As  Slav’s substitutions have worked well many times in the past, he seems to be of that mindset in every game.

If it ain’t broke Slav, don’t try and fix it !
West Brom 2023/24

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2020, 07:49:03 PM »
Okay I've calmed down after a couple of hours.

We started very strangely. Not pressing, dropping into a defensive block of 2 banks then after the first timeout/drink break we started playing a bit. Austin could have had 2. Livermore took a virtual open goal off Krovinovic and missed. Keeper made good saves from Grosicki and Pereira. We held Blackburn comfortably at arms length. The only real worry was not being further in front and some poor play from Calamity Kyle. In the 2nd half this continues for the first 15 minutes. Then and credit to Mowbray he made a quadruple sub with a specific intent to get it forward quicker. Slaven made substitutions almost for the sake of it and got them badly wrong. Grosicki should not have come off. This obsession with Kanu wasting the last 30 minutes of every game. Just run Austin into the ground, he never has to play for us again beyond a week Wednesday. Make him play 270 minutes then he can go on holiday. Livermore should not gave been withdrawn for Harper, yes he's on a yellow but you've got to go to Brunt if you take him off. Got to. Robinson for Krov utterly failed, the former was never involved and the loss of the latter meant we lost control of midfield because once we needed another goal Pereira didn't drop back in.

It was bemusing to watch.

Even then Diangana and Krovinovic have missed 2nd half sitters.

As for their goal. Well in for a penny in for a pound. If you think Townsend and Bartley are better players than Gibbs and Hegazi just watch this goal on a loop. You'll soon see the error of your ways. An atrocious goal to concede.

Thankfully Johnstone stood tall on the one on one and we escaped with a point and further leeway in one of the other games.

I've said in the promotion thread I'm still confident we have the quality to put Huddersfield and QPR to the sword. So it all comes down to not losing on Tuesday. We wouldn't would we?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2020, 07:52:45 PM »
I am not really one for using hindsight, but after todays performance I cannot help but think that if we had have gone all out for Dwight Gayle at the start of the season we would be on the beach by now. He is the sort of player who would have relished the service Periera and co can provide.

Thank god for Sam J who saved us the point.
MAGA!