Author Topic: Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town  (Read 216069 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Rekeem Harper
« Reply #675 on: July 01, 2019, 05:21:47 PM »
"Rekeem Harper is now a free agent, but he was at the #wba training ground today. Looking increasingly like he may stay and sign his 4yr deal after meeting Bilic last week. But until it's signed..."   Just posted by Matt Wilson.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #676 on: July 01, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »
We really need to sign him up. It would be disastrous if he walked away for peanuts. I think he would thrive under Bilic and could have a very expensive footballer on our hands if he continues his development at the same rate.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:14:10 PM by VANDERLEI »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #677 on: July 01, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
I hope he signs and starts the season in midfield alongside a few new faces. The sooner Brunt and Livermore are moved on the better.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #678 on: July 01, 2019, 08:24:05 PM »
Didn't somebody say earlier on in the thread that he was signing today?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #679 on: July 01, 2019, 08:34:42 PM »
Didn't somebody say earlier on in the thread that he was signing today?
Signing on at West Brom job seekers office
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #680 on: July 03, 2019, 08:18:58 AM »
He will sign for who ever puts the £ in his pocket, even at this early stage of his career he will not be short of money so he will await the £ signs and the dotted line to sign on

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #681 on: July 06, 2019, 09:02:52 AM »
Signed new deal with us , 3 years .
Best choice in my view.
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/july/harper-signs-new-albion-contract/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:07:01 AM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #682 on: July 06, 2019, 09:13:48 AM »
Good news this he must have liked what Slav has said to him, hopefully he kicks on now and nails down a regular first team position.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #683 on: July 06, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »
Great news about Rekeem, early days but promising start for Slav.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #684 on: July 06, 2019, 09:23:22 AM »
I'm not particularly happy about this in one way. Firstly I'm not sure exactly how good Harper is and I'm not certain how he fits into a Bilic team. Also following his twitter antics during the first leg of the play offs against Villa I don't want that sort of character at the club.

Here's the but:

BUT on the other hand it is a definite positive in the message it sends out to the academy prospects, particularly following the Louie Barry departure AND given that he's signed when he clearly had other options tells me his attitude is different at this present moment in time to what it was at the end of last season.

Given his age, I'm prepared to look over his past misdemeanour but for me Harper has to grow up, knuckle down and prove himself.  At least if we have to move him on down the line we will get decent money for him so from that point of view it's excellent business for the club.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #685 on: July 06, 2019, 09:29:58 AM »
Please he has signed and hope he fulfils his potential.

On the other hand maturity and "growing up" is difficult to define or achieve at a young age, if he behaves like he appeared to last year at 25 then we have problems. What he needs now is good impartial support and advice

I'm available for a nominal fee 8)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #686 on: July 06, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »
Great news, remember he is only 19.

If I were him (not being an Albion fan) I'd have signed for Celtic, done 2 years there then moved to the Premier League for big money at the old age of 21.

I think this points towards him making it clear he will be played this season which is fair enough from his perspective. Even if he did flop at this point we could probably get money for him.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #687 on: July 06, 2019, 09:50:38 AM »
Finally some good news. Although 3 years is a tad short.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #688 on: July 06, 2019, 10:00:59 AM »
Generally pleased about this because it would be hugely disappointing to lose another academy graduate for little or no fee.

He got enough game time last season to allow me to form an opinion. His key strength is that he is good on the ball able to beat a man and of the players that completed 1000 minutes last season he has the highest pass completion rate (which indicates he is technically proficient.)

However the question remains about where he plays and the answer to that is wrapped up in some of his development issues. Generally whether on or off the ball he needs to become a lot more aware of what is going on around him. He has a good passing range but he misses passing opportunities and off the ball he too frequently does not respond to the opposition movement, while he has decent turn of pace and can recover once he gets wrong side of the ball he will always have a problem. If he wants to play centrally or in a double pivot his defensive side of his game needs to improve dramatically.

There is an argument that pigeon holes in an advanced role behind a lone striker or a front 3 where his limitations defensively are less of an issue but then the pressure falls on him to score more and make a more clinical contribution around the box.

Overall all these issues can be addressed with coaching and critically game time.

The signing of  Krovinovic is probably not great news for him because it is difficult to see how both them play unless we have an absolute beast of a player as the 3rd central midfielder (not anyone on the books at the moment).
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #689 on: July 06, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »
Good for the lad and good for the club
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #690 on: July 06, 2019, 10:05:37 AM »
Great news.  He should be a regular starter alongside the new Croat.  If they are paying Brunt anything over £10,000 per week then it is madness.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #691 on: July 06, 2019, 11:06:25 AM »
Good news.

If we do play a 4231, supposedly Bilic's favourite formation, wouldn't that allow Harper to fit in:
                  Defence x 4
               Livermore Field
          Harper.           Edwards??
                  Krovanic
                   JRod???
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #692 on: July 06, 2019, 11:09:03 AM »
Good news. Needs to knuckle down and crack on now and put this nonsense behind him/us.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #693 on: July 06, 2019, 11:14:21 AM »
Interestingly, being reported that the four contract on offer has now been revised to three.

Would that mean he could not leave on a free at the end of the three years as under 22? (I think)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #694 on: July 06, 2019, 11:20:09 AM »
Another positive in my opinion.
Crack on Harper
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #695 on: July 06, 2019, 11:21:41 AM »
Good news.

If we do play a 4231, supposedly Bilic's favourite formation, wouldn't that allow Harper to fit in:
                  Defence x 4
               Livermore Field
          Harper.           Edwards??
                  Krovanic
                   JRod???

A midfield pairing of Livermore and Field would see us struggle IMO. This is the area we need to improve on most. Neither have the ability to dictate a game. I still think we'll see Barry re sign out of desperation due to our usual faffing around.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #696 on: July 06, 2019, 11:50:34 AM »
A midfield pairing of Livermore and Field would see us struggle IMO. This is the area we need to improve on most. Neither have the ability to dictate a game. I still think we'll see Barry re sign out of desperation due to our usual faffing around.

Personally I would hope Livermore goes and we replace him not Field, but I cannot see it.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #697 on: July 06, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
After Barry refused deal absolutely delighted that Harper has signed a new contract especially with other clubs sniffing around.  :P

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #698 on: July 06, 2019, 12:31:16 PM »
Personally I would hope Livermore goes and we replace him not Field, but I cannot see it.

Livermore is on a reported £46K per week. If that figure is within £10K correct and I'm pretty certain it is, I would be actively trying to entice offers for him.

Getting a distinctly average 29 year old on money like that out of the door is absolutely what we should be doing. I'd accept pretty much any offer for him just to get that wage off the books.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #699 on: July 06, 2019, 12:32:44 PM »
46k is his flex down wage!??!