Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5164266 times)

wba13

• Youth Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #13675 on: February 22, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
Not really contradicting he knows that a couple will leave and have to be replaced

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13676 on: February 23, 2017, 06:46:23 AM »
We currently have 19 senior pro's on our books including two loanees. We started the season with 20. I suspect that 18 is the bare minimum and the under 21's would have to be considered capable of stepping up (Leko and Field almost certainly are). My guess is we will finish the summer with similar numbers to last year.

In terms of obvious recruitment that means no more than 5 new players over the summer.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13677 on: February 23, 2017, 06:53:52 AM »
We currently have 19 senior pro's on our books including two loanees. We started the season with 20. I suspect that 18 is the bare minimum and the under 21's would have to be considered capable of stepping up (Leko and Field almost certainly are). My guess is we will finish the summer with similar numbers to last year.

In terms of obvious recruitment that means no more than 5 new players over the summer.

I honestly don't think it will be that many. I reckon a striker and a replacement for Olsson

Not really contradicting he knows that a couple will leave and have to be replaced

It is when on one hand he says he likes having a small squad of 18 players, then on the other says we need lots of signings. Although most of that radio interview was like that to be honest
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:55:43 AM by TheBrom »

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13678 on: February 23, 2017, 07:39:43 AM »
They tell you nothing other than what you want to hear.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13679 on: February 23, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »
I honestly don't think it will be that many. I reckon a striker and a replacement for Olsson

It is when on one hand he says he likes having a small squad of 18 players, then on the other says we need lots of signings. Although most of that radio interview was like that to be honest

I agree regarding signings, centre back with a bit of pace, 2nd striker, maybe Wilson to become permanent as well.
Baggie in Southampton

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13680 on: February 23, 2017, 08:41:13 AM »

it isn't if he brings in 6 new players and ships out 6 old players though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13681 on: February 23, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »

That makes sense surely?  He likes having a small squad but he wants that squad full of high quality players.  If we want to finish where we are now consistently then I think we do need quite a few signings but we'll also ship some out.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13682 on: February 23, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »
That makes sense surely?  He likes having a small squad but he wants that squad full of high quality players.  If we want to finish where we are now consistently then I think we do need quite a few signings but we'll also ship some out.

Either way, I'm pretty sure we won't see wholesale ins and outs. As mentioned reckon a striker and a centre back, maybe field/leko out on loan, Olsson out. Can't really see us signing anyone else, especially how highly he was speaking of the two full backs, wingers, Evans, Fletcher, Yacob and Livermore.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13683 on: February 23, 2017, 07:20:40 PM »
Chairman Reconds we are hoping four around 3 signings in the summer

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13684 on: February 24, 2017, 07:49:53 AM »
Anyone think Pulis would go to Leicester if they came in for him? Would the lure of going to the Champions with a winnable European tie be enough? I'm sure he would earn a decent package too.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:10:37 AM by BB74 »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13685 on: February 24, 2017, 08:18:23 AM »
Anyone think Pulis would go to Leicester if they came in for him? Wouls the lure of goinf to the Champions with a winnable European tie be enough? I'm sure he would earn a decent package too.
I'd be amazed if Leicester see Pulis as their type of manager, media seem to think Mancini is likely. To answer your question though I don't think he would go to be honest.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13686 on: February 24, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
I'd be amazed if Leicester see Pulis as their type of manager, media seem to think Mancini is likely. To answer your question though I don't think he would go to be honest.

I agree that he doesn't quite fit Leicester's self image but I wouldn't under estimate how desperate they are to stay in the division nor the amount of money they are willing to throw at their potential savior and that alone would make it tempting.   However they need someone now and are much more likely to hire someone that isn't currently working.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13687 on: February 24, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »
You can leave TP out of this he ain`t going nowhere likes our club get`s on well with all why would he change it for a team in turmoil as I said
               HE AIN`T GOING NOWHERE

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13688 on: February 24, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »
Would Pulis even be that interested? Leicester aren't a big draw now really, they're back to where they were before they won the title already. Once they're out the Champions League, then what would there be for him there? Risk leaving a job he's comfortable at for one where he could quite possibly get relegated and his reputation would be in ruins.

Leicester's achievement was incredible but no manager they get is liable to do any better than Pulis is doing with us with them next season even if they do stay up. Frankly I think you're on a hiding to nothing there, they have higher expectations when their squad isn't actually very good.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13689 on: February 24, 2017, 11:48:09 AM »
I don't think he would go to the foxes, but that got me thinking who he would go to. Another decent season for us and he could be in for a shout for the England job if Southgate fails at the euros next year.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Jimbo Baggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13690 on: February 24, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
I've read that Williams wants Pulis to sign a new one year deal, logical idea with the team doing well and settled. Hope we get the two to three signings in the summer he wanted, personally wanted four or five, but if the two to three are of the quality to go straight in to the squad then ill be happy. Think Lai with back Pulis with the funds to get his targets. ;)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13691 on: February 24, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »
I don't think he would go to the foxes, but that got me thinking who he would go to. Another decent season for us and he could be in for a shout for the England job if Southgate fails at the euros next year.

A Welshman in charge of the England team? Not for me thanks!

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13692 on: February 24, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »
He could be in line for the Welsh job though 8)

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13693 on: February 24, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »
The level of delusion on here is astounding. Leicester aren't a big draw? Tony Pulis England Manager?

Leicester have Champions League money, and if they wanted him, he'd go. That team won the league last year, and whoever keeps them up will get buried in cash, so it's exactly the kind of 'challenge' he would go for - but they will want a better manager. And as for England? He simply isn't international material.

I know we're doing well in the League, and opinions have gone the other way about him, but the West Ham game showed that the second he reverts to type people will start laying into him. How about a bit of balance and self-awareness.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13694 on: February 24, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »
The level of delusion on here is astounding. Leicester aren't a big draw? Tony Pulis England Manager?

Leicester have Champions League money, and if they wanted him, he'd go. That team won the league last year, and whoever keeps them up will get buried in cash, so it's exactly the kind of 'challenge' he would go for - but they will want a better manager. And as for England? He simply isn't international material.

I know we're doing well in the League, and opinions have gone the other way about him, but the West Ham game showed that the second he reverts to type people will start laying into him. How about a bit of balance and self-awareness.

Best home nation manager at the moment another decent season why not? Especially after Allardyce and Southgate neither of those are international pedigree. His currently in a better league position then Hodgson got before leaving to do the job. As BB74 pointed out as a Welshman would he be tempted by the Welsh job?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:20:05 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13695 on: February 24, 2017, 03:19:11 PM »
If Pulis isn't going to get one of the big gigs and let's face it that is unlikely there is very little to choose between ourselves and any other mid-table teams other than the money. In that context if Leicester came in with £4m a year 3 year contract then he wolud be tempted.

Football wise if he could keep Leicester in the Division he wouldn't be any worse off than he is now but financially he would be better off  regardless of outcome. All that said I doubt Leicester are about to lure him away

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13696 on: February 24, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »
This has been something that has gone through my mind.

Pulls is the relegation master for teams in that position, they could very well go for someone like him.

I dont for one minute think they will though, the media seem to be reporting that they will go for Mancini when in reality they will end up with Pardew

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13697 on: February 24, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »
SO Falloutboy Leicester are a big draw no they ain`t Mancini used to play for them and he has today stated he `s not interested  TP would not leave for them Leicester had there day I stated at start of season it was a one off now there back to the land of the living .

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13698 on: February 24, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »

Look at the players they attracted in the summer, even after winning the title they weren't attracting much quality, yet alone now they're going to finish somewhere in the bottom half. Money doesn't mean much if you can't attract the right kind of player, they're not that rich anyway. They're not a big draw at all. They've blown it, their chance of establishing themselves in the  upper teams is gone now. They're just one of the 12 teams who will start every season thinking about relegation again nowadays.

Come the summer, Leicester will be shopping around the same kind of market we are. Worse if they get relegated. 

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13699 on: February 24, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »
Look at the players they attracted in the summer, even after winning the title they weren't attracting much quality, yet alone now they're going to finish somewhere in the bottom half. Money doesn't mean much if you can't attract the right kind of player, they're not that rich anyway. They're not a big draw at all. They've blown it, their chance of establishing themselves in the  upper teams is gone now. They're just one of the 12 teams who will start every season thinking about relegation again nowadays.

Come the summer, Leicester will be shopping around the same kind of market we are. Worse if they get relegated.

Exactly, bit of a lose lose really. If they go down, his reputation as a relegation expert finishes, and he's likely to be replaced again or have to spend the next few years managing in the Championship instead of an established side like ours.

If he does well and keeps them up, they'll only be attracting the same sort of players that we would be after (or more likely even worse due to only finishing at the lower end of the table) and he'd be effectively starting again - having to clear out the deadwood, sign players he wants, win over the fans, get them playing his style etc.

He's already got all of that with us, and has a decent contract, which I'm sure we'd think about extending even further. He's cleared out the deadwood, signed players he wants, won over a good proportion of fans, and got the team all signing of the same hymsheet. It's got to be more attractive staying here. Leicester are known for chopping and changing managers anyway, why would he risk it all?