Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 237488 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #925 on: July 28, 2019, 10:25:35 PM »
Looking like Stoke are in the pound seats for him  >:(

They could sign Messi and Ronaldo up front, with their current manager they won't be scoring many at all.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #926 on: July 28, 2019, 10:32:27 PM »
Yes we are all looking around for that last piece of the jigsaw and there it is staring us in the face, its a no brainer for me. Please!
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #927 on: July 28, 2019, 10:41:24 PM »
Don't torture yourselves over it in the short term lads.

Just ensure you've got a plentiful supply of baby oil and tissues 'on hand' for August 8th.

If he arrives for the second cumming they could prove wise investments.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #928 on: July 28, 2019, 11:23:30 PM »
I honestly don't understand our fans sometimes. The club came out at the start of the window and said we can't afford Gayle's wages, yet there's been constant uproar that we aren't signing him. I'm guessing these same people all buy whatever they want regardless of whether they can afford it or not? Thought not.

Gayle is 29 and his pace is one of his biggest attributes. Newcastle want £15m. Even if we could afford his wages I'd swerve it. A straight 1 year loan is the only way this makes any sense, and there's zero chance of that happening.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #929 on: July 29, 2019, 01:23:30 AM »
Gayle has 2 years left on his £55k contract until someone matches that he is going nowhere regardless of the fee. Those wages are only going to be paid by either a Premier League club or possibly a Chinese club. In Championship Fulham might but don't seem interested and Stoke might have some legacy contracts at the level but even allowing for the Coates backing aren't going to take on a new one going into the 2nd year of the parachute payments.

If there are no takers in the next week there might be a deal to be done on loan but that will depend on who will pay the largest proportion of his wages. I doubt we paid more than 50% of them last year and while I think Fulham might be prepared to pay more few if any Championship clubs will go higher.

On balance I hope we find a permanent alternative. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #930 on: July 29, 2019, 01:24:58 AM »
There's very little incentive for Newcastle to loan him out, his contract runs out in 2021 so by next summer he'll be 29 with 12 months left on his deal - his value would plumett, particularly on those wages.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cardiff, Huddersfield or Stoke do eventually get him for about 12m. Or maybe someone like Sheffield United will.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #931 on: July 29, 2019, 06:44:49 AM »
There's very little incentive for Newcastle to loan him out, his contract runs out in 2021 so by next summer he'll be 29 with 12 months left on his deal - his value would plumett, particularly on those wages.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cardiff, Huddersfield or Stoke do eventually get him for about 12m. Or maybe someone like Sheffield United will.

His wages present as much of a problem to those teams as they do to us.
Looking at his current deal at Newcastle he is costing them £4.5m a year i.e. wages £2.5m plus depreciation on a £10m fee over a 5 year contract (the fee has long been paid to Palace but that is not how the cost of transfers is accounted for).

Assuming he is sold for £12m and to make that happen Newcastle buy out his contract for £3m and his new club give him a £1m a year contract for 3 years. He is costing his new club £5m a year and that might be as a Championship club. That club also has the same issue with that Newcastle have with him now is that strikers heading into their 30's are very difficult to sell because clubs are starting to wise up to the fact that they often decline quite early in their careers.

Newcastle will loan him out if Bruce is not going to use him because that is better than getting nothing and another high scoring season in the Championship will enhance his limited value whereas a season as a largely none playing squad player would probably reduce to nearly zero.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #932 on: July 29, 2019, 09:05:38 AM »
If this is going to happen it will be a last minute loan deal. I assume Newcastle are holding out for a recently relegated side to come in and take him on a seasons long loan. If that does not happen then we might be able to negotiate with them if we have not already signed someone else.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #933 on: August 01, 2019, 10:49:52 PM »
Harper has been given Gayle's no. 16 shirt.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #934 on: August 01, 2019, 10:52:56 PM »
Harper has been given Gayle's no. 16 shirt.

I noticed that. Doesn’t mean a thing really though. Just give him another number 8)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #935 on: August 02, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »
If this is going to happen it will be a last minute loan deal. I assume Newcastle are holding out for a recently relegated side to come in and take him on a seasons long loan. If that does not happen then we might be able to negotiate with them if we have not already signed someone else.

Correct but I think Newcastle would rather send him on loan to the Championship than to a competitor in the PL. None of the PL clubs look likely to buy him, Sheff Utd and Villa have already spent loads on forwards. If Newcastle are sending him out on loan again then it probably comes down to who out of us, Stoke and Fulham put more money on the table.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #936 on: August 02, 2019, 12:32:57 PM »
Cardiff??
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #937 on: August 03, 2019, 09:09:01 AM »
Hearing that he is going to Bristol City on loan.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #938 on: August 03, 2019, 09:10:00 AM »

Not immediately obvious to me how they would afford him. Do they have a rich owner?

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #939 on: August 03, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
Yes British billionaire businessman.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #940 on: August 03, 2019, 09:29:36 AM »

If that’s the case immensely disappointed we haven’t offered a loan deal, we have the money from the outgoings, I think with the way the squad is looking at the moment Gayle is the difference between making the playoffs or not.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #941 on: August 03, 2019, 10:29:23 AM »
Don't understand how they could afford him and we can't, unless they are betting the house on going up?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #942 on: August 03, 2019, 10:35:42 AM »
Don't understand how they could afford him and we can't, unless they are betting the house on going up?

Just sold a centre back for 22m

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #943 on: August 03, 2019, 10:38:39 AM »
If Gayle is going on loan to champ and we don’t match whatever Bristol can offer than we’re mad. Loan fee would presumably be £1m plus his wages for a year of around £2.5m. We’ve just budgeted £1.5m on bollards outside the ground and the chairman’s loan to club alone would cover it. If someone spend big on him fair enough but losing out to a loan deal to a mid table champ club would be a massive kick in the teeth.

Marcus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #944 on: August 03, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »
Maybe we're just taking a different approach and hoping to get someone in who will be our own player and with some potential re-sale value ?
I appreciate this is very much a glass half full perspective and not necessarily one I adhere to personally. However you can see the logic if we believe the target we have identified is that good.
Unspoilt By Progress

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #945 on: August 03, 2019, 10:57:32 AM »
If, as it sounds, the geordies have done a U-turn and will allow him out on loan again then I'd like us to be in for him. If we don't go up this season then we will have to de-build anyway.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #946 on: August 03, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »
If Gayle is going on loan to champ and we don’t match whatever Bristol can offer than we’re mad. Loan fee would presumably be £1m plus his wages for a year of around £2.5m. We’ve just budgeted £1.5m on bollards outside the ground and the chairman’s loan to club alone would cover it. If someone spend big on him fair enough but losing out to a loan deal to a mid table champ club would be a massive kick in the teeth.
Gayle and JRod scored 45 goals between them last season.
We don't need to replace them as we have Kanu and Burke this season.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #947 on: August 03, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
Gayle and JRod scored 45 goals between them last season.
We don't need to replace them as we have Kanu and Burke this season.

We are looking to sign at least 1 striker before the window shuts, so why the sarcasm/negativity?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #948 on: August 03, 2019, 11:41:19 AM »
We are looking to sign at least 1 striker before the window shuts, so why the sarcasm/negativity?
Because it's jam tomorrow.
I'll be a bit more positive when I see a striker signed.
At the moment I can't see where the 90 goals we need are coming from.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #949 on: August 03, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »
The 'it's ok, we are probably going to sign someone better' argument can be used right up until the moment when we don't.  I'm sure we'll sign someone, will they replace the goals we've lost this season though?