Author Topic: Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.  (Read 14781 times)

KYA

• WBA Coach

Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.
« on: November 29, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
Reading the comments after an excellent 3pts at Swansea where some of our fans seem to be taking lessons from Mark Carney in hyperbole overkill I thought this topic would both suit them and maybe help them count their blessings.
Having followed Albion from the mid-60s I have seen great teams and awful teams in the blue and white stripes but for me the most depressing was the spell under Saunders it didn't last long but after watching great football for most of the previous years watching his Pulis type football see us lose week in week out truly awful signings and selling Bully to our down and out neighbours he must rank as our worst ever manager.

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

Re: Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 10:37:28 AM »
I have supported Albion since 1975. I would say Saunders along with the time under Gould. A manager no one wanted which lead to demos and sit ins after games. In the modern era i would say 01.01.15 to 20.11.17 (Pulis era!!)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 10:53:31 AM »
Definitely 85-86. My first experience of relegation, just as I was old enough to start going away on my own  :(
What followed though were 6 or 7 years of madness, travelling the country, watching mostly rubbish, but having the time of my life, culminating in the play off victory of 93.
This is why I have never feared relegation though as my most memorable years were spent in the lower leagues and I know we always boing back  :)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »
Was devastated when we went down to the 3rd tier, but the Pardew and Irvine periods were by far the worst considering our position in the food chain.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 11:25:59 AM »
Was devastated when we went down to the 3rd tier, but the Pardew and Irvine periods were by far the worst considering our position in the food chain.

I agree with this. I was a STH in the Buckley/Gould/Little eras and although it was depressing we knew where we were in the food chain. There was not much money about and we had low expectations. With the Pardew/Pulis/Irvine eras there was high expectation, money seemingly available, and we monumentally got it wrong. Easy to blame, not easy to watch, and frankly I am happier now we are in the Championship, but I would like to return one day...... 
MAGA!

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »

When we hit the magical 40 point mark with Pulis one season and the player effectively gave up and went on holiday. I genuinely don't care what division we are in what i want is to be entertained.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

collins101

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 11:47:07 AM »
Still haven't forgotten about those two defeats to Villa under Pulis...nightmare

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
Most depressing time would have to be when Pulis was in charge of the club. Although I started supporting us back in the '90's, the difference was the hope it could get better.

Under Pulis not also was the football abysmal, it was also that it truly felt like the club and fan base were miles apart in what they wanted for the club; the fans wanted better football and a cup run, the club just wanted to get 40 points and another 12 months of Premier League money. Our support was divided too.

Nearly watching us end up back in what's now league one was bad, but the Pulis era was just depressing.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »
Individual event - play offs v Portsmouth@Wembley
Period  - Pulis
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
 Have seen some terrible football at the wrong end of div2 and 3 over the years standing in the freezing cold with rain slanting in at us but good times were still had.  There was a real pride to be had in following the team.....hardcore. Can't remember a time before last year though when i just stopped caring  and the fanbase was never more fragmented.   So bizzarely for all the lower division misery it would be the end of the TP reign into AP.   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:12:23 PM by Oldbury24 »

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
Sitting on the steps at Wembley in tears after losing to QPR 3-2 by the vastly operated bigmouth Rodney, the plonker.
I was 15 years old.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »
Low point for me was just before we appointed Megson in the 1999/2000 season.  We seemed destined to go down to be clawed back into league one and our football had gone from reasonable to dreadful.  however, even in the darkest days there is hope.  Megson came in and we avoided relegation.  Okay, it was on the last day, playing an already promoted team and in the process we relegated a plucky Saddlers team which probably deserved to stop up.  The next season we reached the play-offs, and the season after that was our first automatic promotion season when we eased out the Wolves.  The moral is that its always darkest just before it gets light again...

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
Oddly one of the darkest moments for me was when Harford left us for qpr when we were riding high with one of the most averages sides ever seen. We just seemed to be unbeatable and I really thought we had a chance of promotion that year. Instead he dumped us in a heartbeat when a London club flashed a bit of leg.

We dropped like a stone after that and things were just awful until Sir Gary came and saved the club.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
From the moment Pardew was linked with our manager's job until he left.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
Gould years without doubt

Awful times, awful players

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »
When we went down the old third division i was just into high school and got my first ever season ticket with mates from school. We were awful but still loved those nights up the Hawthorns.

stuvetti

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »
1. Standing in a toga at Bristol Rovers when we were relegated to the third division.
2. Getting the train to Newcastle to collect a new car, then drive to Huddersfield in the 3rd division for a match under Bobby Gould. Lose 3-0 and never string more than two passes together all game.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 04:57:46 PM »
Probably the Saunders period for me; he was the worst manager our club has ever had, I’m sure he deliberately tried to ruin WBA, horrible man. However, I can’t say that I’m too chuffed about having a Chinese owner, especially one whose motives are, well, dubious. I have said before that the Club will not prosper with him supposedly at the helm.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »
In 65 years of supporting the club, I have had many lows and quite a few highs. But I cannot remember anything worse than watching us beaten twice at Villa Park in a few days, and much as I admired Ben Foster, I will never forgive him for inexplicably losing us the league game. I turned to my daughter and said "that's it they will beat us in the Cup as well now, and what a miserable day that was.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
1967 at Wembley against QPR.
Leading 2-0 at half time and ending up losing 3-2 to a terrible blunder by the ref.
I used to work at Concentric Pressed Products on the Holyhead Road.
Rick Sheppard (goalkeeper) came in on the Monday and showed us, the still red raw stud marks down his chest.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 10:45:07 PM »
Relegation to third tier under Gould... very closely followed by the attritional football for the whole of the Pulis era. As mentioned elsewhere the sole objective was 40 points.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 10:55:12 PM »
I was born in 1976.

First game that I fully remember (pretty sure that I had birthday party prior to this versus Arsenal but have blocked it from recollection) was being thrashed 0-5 at home to Liverpool. That was the 84/85 season. They totally banged us, culminating in Bruce Grobbelaar saving a Derek Statham penalty.

The next lowlight was around 1991/92, the last day of school uniform, after GCSEs were finished, it was tradition to sign each others' school shirts. I still have my shirt that my school friends graffitied with "F*ck off Bobby Gould".

But to the point of the topic... I have to single out the worst ever time as a Baggies fan has been under Tony Pulis. It has to be for the simple reason that it's made me fall out of love with football.

Trying to get the mojo back but it's not happening under the current ownership/management/team.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »
Any defeat against the Vile scum from Witton, it really does depress me.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

jonasyoulegend

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
Any defeat against the Vile scum from Witton, it really does depress me.

100%. No sporting low I've ever experienced comes close to losing to Villa, being a Brummie I can count on 1 hand how many Dingles I know. 

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 12:17:55 PM »
Low point for me was just before we appointed Megson in the 1999/2000 season...............

Although there have been plenty of ups and downs supporting the Albion it's probably around this time for me too.

Yes there have been major disappointments such as the FA Cup Semi Final defeat versus Ipswich (aged ten) when I truly believed we were going to win the Cup itself. For me QPR wasn't quite so bad, probably as I was a little older and 1978 had prepared me for it. The appointments, tenures and subsequent footballing desert created by Saunders and Gould take some beating too, as did the defection of our diminutive Argentinian general to the Spuds.

The play off final defeat to Derby left me completely hollow. And although gutted following the FA Cup Semi Final versus Portsmouth life events of the time helped me to put those disappointments into perspective. The utter devastation I felt following that week at the Seal Pen still hangs around my shoulders as well. Meanwhile the less said about the sterility of Pulis followed by the cretinous decision making surrounding the appointments of the Pard' and the self declared best coach in the world the better.

Strangely enough though (and it is strange) the catalyst for my most depressing time as an Albion supporter was the sacking of Denis Smith just ten days or so before the start of the new season. I'd never really taken to the man and would have been quite happy to see the back of him at the end of the previous season. As much as anything it was the timing as it smacked of total and tragically predictable incompetence. Rather than get a new man the club gave him virtually the whole of pre season. It was Daryl Burgess's testimonial at the time, the turn out for his game v Sheffield Wednesday was poor and was perhaps reflective of a sense of apathy. To my mind (rightly or wrongly) the club was dying on it's feet, it was in general decay and no one in charge seemed capable of arresting our decline.

And then we appointed Brian fkn Little. To add context I'd detested him with a passion from his time as a player for them down the road. We lacked the resources Little had enjoyed at both Leicester City and those who shan't be named and I just felt he was a terrible fit. I worked with loads of Vilers at the time and the urine taking over our demise had been immense. To my mind although he'd moved on prior to their greatest success he was synonymous with their 'modernish' era. As such his appointment rubbed my nose in it and merely amplified the gulf which existed between our clubs.

He was also stale, burnt out and oh so fkn boring. In truth Captain Mogadon probably reflected what we had become as a club and I really didn't like what I saw. Little couldn't have motivated a bottle of gas into orbit with a stick of dynamite and for me his sacking was the best thing to have happened since the sacking of Saunders. Frankly I didn't give a sh it who his replacement was going to be, it was all good and they could have brought Alan Buckley back for all I cared so deep had been my earlier despair. I would have blown my top, laughed then shrugged my shoulders as if to say 'well no shock there you dumb b@st@ards'. I just couldn't see a way out of our decline; subscribing to Grorty Dick and realising I wasn't alone probably didn't help my mood either.

And then lo' as to a blast of celestial trumpets did a red knight in shining armour come riding over the brow of a hill. With the sun glistening through his ginger locks he grabbed our great club by the short and curlies to drag it kicking and screaming onto better times. Thank you Sir Gary, thank you to your foot soldiers and of course to Paul Thompson (Merlin)......... COYB and SOTV  8) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqtehtSB0LI
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.