Author Topic: 2 Jan 2021 Albion 0 Arsenal 4  (Read 56479 times)

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2021, 01:31:26 PM »
No, they are similar players to what Pereira is and were included in Allardyce’s sides. You said players like Pereira have no place in an Allardyce side...it’s simply not true is it??

They get wheeled out when people post things like ‘flair players have no place in his sides...

I think we find out today. This will be the third opportunity to pick Pereira. If he benches him for the third time running then I think that does start to be a signal.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2021, 01:35:12 PM »
Leeds had the worst defensive record in the premiership after ourselves and we couldn't get in their half. Doesn't bode well for our chances of troubling the Arsenal keeper. Must win game, and yet we are more likely to get hammered than nick is 1-0. Let's see how bizarre Allardyce's selection and set-up is; which will be a good indicator if he has learn't anything since Leeds. No evidence so far that he understands how to get the best out of the team, quite the opposite; which is deeply concerning.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2021, 01:43:20 PM »
I think we find out today. This will be the third opportunity to pick Pereira. If he benches him for the third time running then I think that does start to be a signal.

So how do you explain picking Diangana?

How many ‘defensive’ players have been in the last 2 starting XI’s
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2021, 01:55:47 PM »
So how do you explain picking Diangana?

How many ‘defensive’ players have been in the last 2 starting XI’s

I think you could quite easily make a case for 'not enough'.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2021, 02:03:46 PM »
I think you could quite easily make a case for 'not enough'.

Exactly fella!

2 “attacking” full backs in Gibbs and Furlong.

No DM midfielder to protect the centre halves.

Gallagher and Sawyers are not defensive players, nor are Phillips, Diangana, Grant, Robinson or Pereira

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2021, 02:31:06 PM »
Pereira has to start, the rest we my as well draw from a hat.

We'll get thumped anyway but at least we may get a consolation.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2021, 03:16:57 PM »
'
You cant ask reasonable questions around some posters on here. It's Bilic or Bust' it seems for a small amount of supporters.

\
Agreed Gazberg.

However for some others it has been anybody but Bilic, regardless of improvements or achievements.
For the record, I think I could see what Bilic was trying to make and supported what I believed he was trying to do.

I have never and will never understand the increasing vilification of individual Albion employees by some posters. Like most on here I will criticise mistakes where I see them and praise good performance where it is due, and because it is the club I support, generally be more tolerant than I would towards others.

Bilic has gone that will not change. For better or worse Allardyce is here and he will receive the same tolerance from me as I would allow anybody else associated with West Bromwich Albion.

I also feel that Periera has to start, has to play centrally, and that the team can then be built forward sideways and backwards from that point. COYB
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 03:22:49 PM by wodenson46 »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2021, 03:32:58 PM »
End of the day who ever starts need 7 or 8 out of 10 not the 2 or 3 against Leeds.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2021, 03:54:58 PM »
BT.com/sport/monthly-pass I think that's the correct link, register, pay and watch on any device of your choice I believe

Thank you because I am a masochist I have done this.  This site must be similar to the experience of going to AA.  It helps to know that other poor souls are suffering from the same addiction as yourself.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2021, 04:59:24 PM »

Just a theory but I could see Pereira being sold to finance some incoming players. Survival is all that matters to the ownership this year.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2021, 05:09:03 PM »
Just a theory but I could see Pereira being sold to finance some incoming players. Survival is all that matters to the ownership this year.

I imagine they would sell him for a nice profit as he'd be likely leaving if we went down anyway. Shame survival didnt matter that much to them during pre-season.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2021, 05:10:08 PM »
Exactly fella!

2 “attacking” full backs in Gibbs and Furlong.

No DM midfielder to protect the centre halves.

Gallagher and Sawyers are not defensive players, nor are Phillips, Diangana, Grant, Robinson or Pereira

So he’s picked an attacking team in recent games then? That had escaped my notice for sure.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2021, 05:11:22 PM »
Thank you because I am a masochist I have done this.  This site must be similar to the experience of going to AA.  It helps to know that other poor souls are suffering from the same addiction as yourself.

I have made a similar sacrifice but I've played more than £25 to be disappointed by Albion in the past so reasonably good value I'd say...

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2021, 05:17:41 PM »
So he’s picked an attacking team in recent games then? That had escaped my notice for sure.

No he's picked attack minded players in a defensive system and tried to drill them to defend because we concede too many goals (worked incredibly at Anfield, didn't at home to Leeds), because that is all the previous manager and the DOF has left him with.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2021, 05:19:39 PM »
No he's picked attack minded players in a defensive system and tried to drill them to defend because we concede too many goals (worked incredibly at Anfield, didn't at home to Leeds), because that is all the previous manager and the DOF has left him with.

That makes the manager's tactics even worse then.  Picking round pegs to put in square holes.  We are neither doing a good job defensively, and we aren't doing a good job attacking wise.  We're getting the worst of both worlds.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2021, 05:29:40 PM »
That makes the manager's tactics even worse then.  Picking round pegs to put in square holes.  We are neither doing a good job defensively, and we aren't doing a good job attacking wise.  We're getting the worst of both worlds.

No it doesn't. To stand any chance of getting anything out of games he has to tighten up at the back.

We'd have 0 points if we'd gone toe to toe with Villa, Liverpool and Leeds because they'd pick us off at will. Our only win this season should have been a 1-5 home defeat on balance of play/chances.

Edit. A better analogy is that he hasn't got enough fit for purpose pegs...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:32:01 PM by TheJacko2000 »

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2021, 05:36:07 PM »
You have become the voice of reason Jacko. I find myself agreeing with most of your posts and in game comments. :D

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2021, 05:37:02 PM »
No it doesn't. To stand any chance of getting anything out of games he has to tighten up at the back.

We'd have 0 points if we'd gone toe to toe with Villa, Liverpool and Leeds because they'd pick us off at will. Our only win this season should have been a 1-5 home defeat on balance of play/chances.

Edit. A better analogy is that he hasn't got enough fit for purpose pegs...

You're just making stuff up though.  We've no idea what would have happened if we'd tried to have been more positive against Villa and Leeds.

Leeds had the joint worst goals conceded with us when we played and were in the top 5 for goals scored.  So instead of trying to put them under pressure....  we.... let them have all the ball and to take pot shots at the goal.

Against Villa we were so deep we couldn't get out of our own half even before the sending off.

We've conceded 9 goals in 3 games - being defensive with players who aren't very good at defending clearly isn't working. 

I don't have a problem with being defensive, such as Spurs today, but if you put all 11 players 30 yards from your goal - it's only going to end one way 9 times out of 10.  You can tighten up at the back without sticking every single outfield player behind the ball. 

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2021, 06:10:31 PM »

Fair enough. I just do not rate the guy and never have. That said, he is in charge at my club and I want him to succeed.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2021, 06:13:25 PM »
If Pereira starts I have an element of faith in Allardyce. If not then I’m seriously worried. It’s as black and white as that for me.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2021, 06:13:36 PM »
In practice, he’s not been allowed to prove himself to be more valuable.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2021, 06:17:18 PM »
I just want to see us not sit with every man behind the ball.   I mean, it might even get us to a 0-0 against Arsenal as they're the kind of team that might not be able to break us down, but we need to start picking up actual points, not holding out for 0-0's and hoping the opposition miss all their chances.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2021, 06:34:05 PM »
I just want to see us not sit with every man behind the ball.   I mean, it might even get us to a 0-0 against Arsenal as they're the kind of team that might not be able to break us down, but we need to start picking up actual points, not holding out for 0-0's and hoping the opposition miss all their chances.
Agree you need a threat whoever you play , I can't yet however moan at Sam  until he's got his own players to do this . We scream for an wide option to get us up the pitch or a forward to do it , target man wise we are very limited .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2021, 06:50:30 PM »
Pitch has a light covering of snow, should suit us more than them. 🤞🏻

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2021, 06:50:45 PM »
We scream for an wide option to get us up the pitch
Isn't that supposed to be Diangana's job? One he doesn't seem able to do ATM I must add
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)