Author Topic: Taylor Gardner-Hickman joins Bristol City  (Read 68150 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Taylor Gardner-Hickman
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2021, 11:52:10 AM »
Generally he's received praise for his performance last Saturday and rightly so...there have been one or two criticisms raised which is fair enough also.
I think playing in a two man midfield anyone is going to make mistakes at some point during the game whether Mowatt, Molumby, Livermore or whoever. TGH was obviously under the microscope on Saturday but got a lot more right than he got wrong and can no doubt improve further in the position.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2021, 12:00:58 PM »
Generally he's received praise for his performance last Saturday and rightly so...there have been one or two criticisms raised which is fair enough also.
I think playing in a two man midfield anyone is going to make mistakes at some point during the game whether Mowatt, Molumby, Livermore or whoever. TGH was obviously under the microscope on Saturday but got a lot more right than he got wrong and can no doubt improve further in the position.

His positional play was excellent. Mentally he got it right, was excellent with his timing of the press and played the ball into forward areas.

However, he got caught the wrong side defensively too many times and wasted the ball in possession too many times including sending one corner kick straight out of play.

His performance was 7 out of 10 which is very decent but I can't believe some of the OTT praise.

He's very, very promising. I do think he's better suited to RWB though versatile enough to do a job elsewhere if necessary.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2021, 12:48:06 PM »
For those who missed his Coventry appearance here are all the best bits!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1468128790618517506

COYB! COTGH!

Thanks for that Frank. It convinces me even more of what I thought when at the game on Saturday: The kid did well!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2021, 02:11:34 PM »
His positional play was excellent. Mentally he got it right, was excellent with his timing of the press and played the ball into forward areas.

However, he got caught the wrong side defensively too many times and wasted the ball in possession too many times including sending one corner kick straight out of play.

His performance was 7 out of 10 which is very decent but I can't believe some of the OTT praise.

He's very, very promising. I do think he's better suited to RWB though versatile enough to do a job elsewhere if necessary.
I have to say I didn't see him waste the ball in possession that often, very little in fact and yes the corner he was obviously trying to stick one in the mix and he got it wrong.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2021, 02:27:11 PM »
yes the corner he was obviously trying to stick one in the mix and he got it wrong.
He's not the only one though, as a general rule of thumb our corners have been carp for some weeks now, no matter who takes them, and at times there seems to be a reluctance to be the 'chosen one' from the on field corner taking rotation that seems to happen
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2021, 03:23:20 PM »
He's not the only one though, as a general rule of thumb our corners have been carp for some weeks now, no matter who takes them, and at times there seems to be a reluctance to be the 'chosen one' from the on field corner taking rotation that seems to happen
Yes corners have been poor of late and I'll certainly allow anyone 1 bad one.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2021, 05:57:14 PM »
For those who missed his Coventry appearance here are all the best bits!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1468128790618517506

COYB! COTGH!

I don't want this to come across as negative because by the sounds of things he did well in a position that he is not used to, but there's plenty there that needs working on.

First clip - delays the pass to Furlong so rather than Furlong running onto the ball and being behind their defence, he has to check back, slowing our attack.

Clip 2 - good recovery and gives it to an Albion player. Good

Clip 3 - wins the ball and lays it off well, but "hides" behind the Coventry player so he can't receive the ball back.

Clip 4 - Again, slow to get the ball wide to Furlong, and the Coventry player marking TGH turns his back once the pass goes, so he has no idea where TGH is, but TGH just stays there, rather than capitalising on the mistake.

We then have a good down field, and pass into the area that forces Robinson wider than ideal, and some short passing, as well as a horrible hack at the ball that he's lucky didn't result in a card.

My favourite highlight is at 1:26 where he beats his man and switches the ball to the left wing. You could argue that after beating his man he should drive into the space but I think it's great vision to switch the ball from there.

Unfortunately the next clip he gives away a throw in a dangerous area.

Like I said, this isn't meant to be me saying he's useless, but more that to play at the highest level he still has work to do, but he looked tidy in an unfamiliar position, so fair play to him

He/him

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2021, 10:26:28 AM »
Mark:  I think you are right to stop us heaping too much expectation on TGH.  He's young and needs more experience in certain aspects of the game .  However I don't know how he will get this - unless he goes for  a loan spell - not much use to us in the squad's present state.  Maybe we start him but at RWB with the experience of Livermore inside of him at CM not Molumby,  or start him with Molumby and be prepared to accept he will make the odd mistake which we hope will reduce over time.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2021, 04:08:01 PM »
Again I think we are being a bit over detailed with the analysis on TGH. The senior players make mistakes or under/overhit passes also.

Sometimes a midfielder has a split second to assess what's in front of him and find the right pass with players of his own side making runs and the opposition covering the runs. There may be two or 3 things going on in front of a player which he has to quickly assess.
Also we don't know what TGH had been told by the coaching staff during the leadup to the game, there may have been certain situations where he was told to hold his position rather than making forward runs as we only have two central midfielders.

No don't send him out on loan. He can be and is of use now to this present squad.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2021, 06:53:11 PM »
Again I think we are being a bit over detailed with the analysis on TGH. The senior players make mistakes or under/overhit passes also.

Sometimes a midfielder has a split second to assess what's in front of him and find the right pass with players of his own side making runs and the opposition covering the runs. There may be two or 3 things going on in front of a player which he has to quickly assess.
Also we don't know what TGH had been told by the coaching staff during the leadup to the game, there may have been certain situations where he was told to hold his position rather than making forward runs as we only have two central midfielders.

No don't send him out on loan. He can be and is of use now to this present squad.

I agree with you in saying we don't know what he's been told to do - although it is telling Ismael talks about the centre midfielders being 6'srather than 8's.

And on the point of other players making mistakes, I absolutely agree. I guess I was trying to say that that video contained a lot of stuff that looks fine, but could have been even better.

And I agree, keep him here and keep him playing were needed

He/him

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2021, 08:46:08 PM »
I agree with you in saying we don't know what he's been told to do - although it is telling Ismael talks about the centre midfielders being 6'srather than 8's.

And on the point of other players making mistakes, I absolutely agree. I guess I was trying to say that that video contained a lot of stuff that looks fine, but could have been even better.

And I agree, keep him here and keep him playing were needed
Now I know I’m getting on…..6 should always be centre back ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2021, 08:55:52 PM »
Now I know I’m getting on…..6 should always be centre back ?

Not in LSD, 6 & 4 were half backs, in today's money defensive midfielders.

Half backs were always good footballers.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2021, 01:03:55 AM »
As a more natural winger, he will naturally have the flair and pace in his locker; especially to reach the level he has.

For me he will ultimately find his best position in time but I just love watching him regardless. He’s brave, honest, composed and has all the skills to boot.

Wish the lad all the very best.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2021, 05:15:24 PM »
Wow what a beast, could have saved us buying two new fullbacks and a CM. Awesome today in a position that doesnt suit his best foot.
Gera, Gera, Gera

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2021, 05:16:25 PM »
Sign him to a new long term deal. His versatility is impressive.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2021, 05:17:28 PM »
Sign him to a new long term deal. His versatility is impressive.

3 games 3 different positions 3 man of the matches. We need to tie him down
O Albion we love you

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2021, 05:18:34 PM »
Excellent today he was.

Long may his development continue

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2021, 05:20:03 PM »
His energy and ability to get up and down the pitch is incredible for one so young
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2021, 05:40:03 PM »
Absolute diamond, that is all
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2021, 05:43:49 PM »
Came in to his own in the last 10 minutes or so with his engine and starting some decent moves with his awareness. Should get better and better but we need to find his true position and play him in it.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2021, 05:49:02 PM »
Came in to his own in the last 10 minutes or so with his engine and starting some decent moves with his awareness. Should get better and better but we need to find his true position and play him in it.

He needs to come in for Furlong

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2021, 05:57:52 PM »
Well done again. Should be first choice, in place of Furlong, but is needed elsewhere for now.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2021, 06:08:27 PM »
Great for a youngster to come in and a bonus to be so versatile the last one I can remember is Bryan Robson.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2021, 06:25:35 PM »
Average first half, very good second half and he started the move that led to the goal. RWB will be his best position, he looked a bit unsure first half today which is totally understandable for a 19yo playing on his wrong side. The longer the game went on the better he looked.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2021, 07:15:23 PM »
Nothing short of sensation today at LWB. Wasn’t beaten once and his progressive running - beating his man consistently - contributed massively to a great team performance. 9/10.

Time for a new deal.