Author Topic: We are going down ?  (Read 78553 times)

BaggieBrainy

• Baby Baggie

We are going down ?
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:08:30 PM »
Its as simple as the title says does anyone else think different?

I watched the cardiff game today and I thought apart from the first 20 minutes we were poor the whole game, we then had a lucky break and got to 3-2 with seconds to hold it and berahino
decides instead of running it into the corner, and waiting for the whistle he will deliver a terrible ball into cardiffs feet for them to go and grab the equaliser, this is not the team i fell in love with.
The players at our club currently are full of ego and think there too good to go down.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:55:09 PM by Dexy »

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: We are going down.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:14:01 PM »
S*** happens!! Deal with it. We're not down yet, and there'll be many more twists and turns.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 05:22:07 PM by Quakes Fan »
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »
The lad made a mistake in the heat of the moment.

There are more famous clubs where things like that never happen and that never go down -- just letting you know.

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »
It's incredibly hard to take in the heat of the moment after such a gutting result, but the big picture is even more depressing. Swansea and Palace winning is arguably more of a kick in the teeth than anything that happened at the Hawthorns this afternoon.
Remember the past - learn from it

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »
The club needs sorting out it is full of losers - i.e. people who don't have killer instinct and a natural winning mentality.

Pepe Mel has been in charge long enough to instill some discipline into the squad, clearly given that we today  showed the same naivety and stupidity as we did at Chelsea, he has not done that. I don't see where we are moving forward at all there isn't even the slightest glimmer that we are.

Mel needs to go and so do a good number of the players on our books. They need replacing with "winners". At the moment the club looks soft all the way through it.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 05:53:53 PM »
I've been of the view for a while that we will stay up solely because there are 3 worse teams than us.  Fulham, Cardiff and, er, hopefully Sunderland. Our game against them is absolutely massive.

I don't think Norwich will get more than another 1 or 2 points.  Finish above them and we will be ok.  7 points needed in my view.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »
If you cannot beat the sides around you then you are always going to struggle. If you cannot hold onto a winning position (especially when it's 2-0!) then you are always going to struggle. If you cannot do the basics appropriately then you're going to struggle.

We cannot do any of the three things above. Yet again, against a poor side we've found ourselves 2-0 up and somehow managed to throw a game which we should have taken to the cleaners. Cardiff are nothing special, it is just testament to how abject we are at doing the basics, amply demonstrated by Saido Berahino not using his brain in the dying seconds - I'm 19, never played a professional game of football in my life but even I knew to take the ball into the corner and waste as much time as possible.

Let's not make excuses about refereeing decisions that have gone against us. We're not good enough. It is shown by the amount of games we've won and the amount of points we have on the board. We have a squad over inflated egos, in addition to them being a bunch of spineless tossers. Wonderful combination, eh?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
Wtf was Berahino doing? It's nothing to do with age or inexperience, a child would know what to do there it's inexcusable.

Mel's management isn't good enough, we can't defend set pieces which is a pretty MASSIVE part of football. It's like Mowbray all over again, nice football but if you get the basics wrong that's it.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 06:03:05 PM »
its really hard living thousands  of miles away ( in India) and seeing the season unfolding as it is...i have just watched a passionate and pacy Palace make Chelsea look like rubbish....i have just seen England losing in the T20 by 3 runs to South Africa and have just  been victim to the usual Baggies roller-coaster, celebrating on 92 minutes and being devastated i minute later.

But in all fairness we have all seen this coming for many months and we are precisely where we should be ,in fact its a miracle we are not in the relegation zone yet....

We have been a shambles of a club for months with internal politicking, poor transfer decisions , including the imbecilic selling of our only goal scorer to fellow strugglers a few weeks ago as the ultimate turd in the water pipe.

The latest fiasco at home to the appalling Cardiff sums it all up.....the fat lady has not sung yet but shes back stage rehearsing......the only chance we have got is that Norwich will carry on being crappier than us.....and their fat lady throws us a lifeline!

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 06:07:49 PM »
Just post match anger. Look at the table, one win against West Ham, Norwich, Sunderland and our position looks even better. I have said 2 wins and 2 draws from our remaining games is enough to survive. We hit one of those draws today and were unfortunate to not get three points.

Calm down people, there's plenty of football left and at LEAST three teams who are going to struggle as much as us. If we were in the bottom three now then yes we may have to worry, but as it stands have faith.

We have been bottom of the table at the start of the second half of the last game of the season and we had faith, let's not get carried away. This was a far better result for us than Cardiff, if the game didn't explode in the way it did at the end emotions wouldn't be so bitter now.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:09:52 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 06:09:50 PM »
We played some good football today , 3 nice goals yet the basics have undone us again .
Our inability to put two halves together will see us down too .....gutted and to be honest i wish this season was over .
Our set pieces both defending and attacking are poor now . A Sunderland win on Monday night and a beating from Norwich on Saturday (their home form and defending is great of late) will be the end of us Imo.
Every mistake we make seems to get punished.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggybazza

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »
Just post match anger. Look at the table, one win against West Ham, Norwich, Sunderland and our position looks even better. I have said 2 wins and 2 draws from our remaining games is enough to survive. We hit one of those draws today and were unfortunate to not get three points.

Calm down people, there's plenty of football left and at LEAST three teams who are going to struggle as much as us. If we were in the bottom three now then yes we may have to worry, but as it stands have faith.

We have been bottom of the table at the start of the second half of the last game of the season and we had faith, let's not get carried away. This was a far better result for us than Cardiff, if the game didn't explode in the way it did at the end emotions wouldn't be so bitter now.

Lol and where are these 2 wins coming from?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:12:52 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
Its as simple as the title says does anyone else think different?

"....., this is not the team i fell in love with......"

It's not the team I fell in love with either but we've been through a lot of changes since Big Ron was in charge.....!!!
I don't believe we will go down; I could be wrong but I think we will scrape it. Pepe needs a good pre-season and money needs to be spent in the right place, we all know what they are.
We have a good squad in many respects and I think they are beginning to show a bit more fight at long last.
Next week's Norwich game could really give us a major boost; on goal diff alone we would be above them with a game in hand to boot.

I say this time and time again when people say our form has been horrible since December 2012 - that's exactly when Odemwhinge started giving us off-stage hassle and ever since then we have been beset by dramas outside the game itself. I think it is bound to create instability. A few players attitudes - plus some bad buying and selling (particularly in not getting Rom even at a high price) are our real problem, not a lack of talent.

Fingers crossed PM's side will do enough to beat the drop this time. We need to buy, absolutely no doubt, and we need to wield the scythe here and there.

Actually come to think of it, to a large extent this IS the team I fell in love with and it always will be.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:48:47 PM by Quakes Fan »
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »
The club and the fans did their bit today. Jp And the players f***** it up. Yes we are going down
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:49:15 PM by Quakes Fan »
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
Just can't see how we can survive now. Us fans gave them everything today and if you can't beat a poor Cardiff side at home having scored 3 goals then who can you beat?

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »
The club and the fans did their bit today. Jp And the players f***** it up. Yes we are going down

What did JP do today to **** it up?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:50:10 PM by Quakes Fan »

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 06:23:07 PM »
Just can't see how we can survive now. Us fans gave them everything today and if you can't beat a poor Cardiff side at home having scored 3 goals then who can you beat?
Exactly, it's not as simple as 'just getting a few wins' when you don't look like winning a game in a million years.
The players heart's aren't in it, and the manager isn't good enough imo

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 06:29:50 PM »
Exactly, it's not as simple as 'just getting a few wins' when you don't look like winning a game in a million years.
The players heart's aren't in it, and the manager isn't good enough imo

Hard to tell with the lot out on the pitch being so poor, even Pepe must be flabbergasted much of the time. Somehow I don't think what we are seeing now is Pepe Mel football, it is what this squad is cabable of, it is simply too unbalanced and erratic. No manager can build a solid defensive unit from this lot, no manager can build an offensive team from this lot. We simply have to survive this season, tear this squad up and build again.

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »

Lol and where are these 2 wins coming from?

What is the point of being so negative about every situation? There is nothing I can pose to you that you would be satisfied about.

2 weeks ago we beat Swansea away, something that seemed impossible given the situation. Now we draw to Cardiff everyone is instantly on the 'going down' wagon again.

I'm not going to speculate about where we can win because when it comes down to it anything can happen in the final 7 games. I just find absolutely nothing constructive to come from spouting off about how pooh we are and that we're going down just because we conceded late today.

Palace beat Chelsea today after playing well at Newcastle and losing with the last kick of the game - all we need is a little luck and to match the results of those below us - win lose or draw.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
Palace beat Chelsea today by grinding out a 1v0 win. Can you honestly see us doing that under this management and with this set of players? We look like conceding goals for fun at the moment. If we cannot win from the position we put ourselves in today (not once but twice!) then I just can't see where these wins are coming from. Cardiff coming back from 2v0 down today just felt so ineveitable. Teams conceding at the rate we are at present don't tend to stay up.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »
What is the point of being so negative about every situation? There is nothing I can pose to you that you would be satisfied about.

2 weeks ago we beat Swansea away, something that seemed impossible given the situation. Now we draw to Cardiff everyone is instantly on the 'going down' wagon again.

I'm not going to speculate about where we can win because when it comes down to it anything can happen in the final 7 games. I just find absolutely nothing constructive to come from spouting off about how pooh we are and that we're going down just because we conceded late today.

Palace beat Chelsea today after playing well at Newcastle and losing with the last kick of the game - all we need is a little luck and to match the results of those below us - win lose or draw.

I can understand your "positivity" because if nobody is positive going into the final few games the club might as well give up now. Nobody wants to see that obviously. Yes there is still a chance that we can survive. There are 21 points to play for, get enough and we stay up, simple.

However, realistically, I cannot see it happening, you cannot keep snatching defeats and / or draws from almost certain victory. Chelsea, Villa twice and now today. We don't even look like like we are imprving in any way, shape or form, it is not about knee-jerk reactions or any one result it is a culmination of everything we've seen for a season and a half. Things have to change.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
I have been of the opinion that we would stay up purely because there are 3 x teams worse than us but now i am not so sure.

We have had so many opportunities to kick on and start to build on a decent situation and we keep messing it up and i cant help but think eventually you run out of those chances and it will haunt us.

Pepe has to take some of the blame but the majority i still feel lies with the players, they have put in performances and results against Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea, Swansea away and yet the next game we just go to bits with performances and results against Villa, Palace, Fulham, Hull and now today, i imagine it must be very frustrating for Pepe as he must think after each positive we can build, but we dont, we go back again.

We dont seem to have any bottle and cant perform under pressure (swansea away excepted) we do okay against the sides we arent expected to but struggle against those we would hope too, today we were 2-0 up in 10 x minutes against 2nd from bottom, in what both sides have built up as a huge game all week, you would think Cardiff would of been on their knees, and what a platform for us to build on, yet soon as they scored i think most people knew they would equalise, sure enough they did, but even then we scored in injury time and that should of been another platform, a massive win, but we somehow messed it up again and i just eventually this will now cost us.

Today would of felt like a defeat for our players, yet for Cardiff it was probably like a win and for the pyschological blow it was to us, what a boost for them to kick on. My concern is we dont have any redeeming quality, we dont create or score much (today the exception), we concede goals every game, we arent organised and we arent out and out attack and we seem to have no bottle and a poor mentality and it summed that up today.

When you look at some of the rubbish at the bottom, Fulham, Cardiff, Villa, Norwich, Hull, Swansea, Palace, Sunderland, West Ham, Stoke although we still have some of those to play, reality is we have only beaten Swansea, Palace and Sunderland and i think if we played the latter two again i dont think we would.

One of the only positives is that the season is exciting in a perverse way and at least each game means something but i just think we are blowing too many chances to get momentum and it cant carry on.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:47:56 PM by Albion79 »

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »
Look at the players we had out today, we will have a much better idea after next week.
Baggie in Southampton

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 06:50:06 PM »
Palace beat Chelsea today by grinding out a 1v0 win. Can you honestly see us doing that under this management and with this set of players? We look like conceding goals for fun at the moment. If we cannot win from the position we put ourselves in today (not once but twice!) then I just can't see where these wins are coming from. Cardiff coming back from 2v0 down today just felt so ineveitable. Teams conceding at the rate we are at present don't tend to stay up.

Clarke tried to 'grind out wins' and we were a complete mess. It's the players but the rot started under Clarke. Pepe Mel and the club management has a huge job turning this around, they must find fresh players and ideas and do a complete rebuild.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 06:56:49 PM »
Look at the players we had out today, we will have a much better idea after next week.

That is all well and good but the players on the pitch today are more than good enough to see out a victory against a very poor Cardiff side. The fact is, like has happened before, even with our better players on the pitch, we've once again thrown away a winning position and today, inexcusably it happened twice.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom