Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 670312 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #900 on: June 17, 2020, 12:45:26 PM »
I have always thought a 12 month rolling contract was the best and in some ways fairest arrangement for both club and coach.

From the coaches perspective he is always guaranteed 12 months pay should the club be minded to sack him. Equally the club will always get some compensation should the coach up and leave but that won't be enough to deter a determined suitor. It does not preclude a negotiated mutually beneficial termination say if the coach wanted to retire. It also avoids all speculation in circumstances where a coach's contract is running down because well the contract never runs down.   

I agree with this. When you weigh up the options as a neutral (i.e. not the club or not the individual) I feel these one year rolling contracts are the best option.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #901 on: June 20, 2020, 05:21:49 PM »
Picked the wrong team today.  Krovinovic was the outstanding player for last few games before lockdown and he got 5 minutes.  How can you pick HRK instead of him?  It's about picking the best players.  Guardiola played with a False 9 at Barcelona and they still smashed teams.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #902 on: June 20, 2020, 05:25:57 PM »
Picked the wrong team today.  Krovinovic was the outstanding player for last few games before lockdown and he got 5 minutes. How can you pick HRK instead of him?  It's about picking the best players.  Guardiola played with a False 9 at Barcelona and they still smashed teams.

erm because he's a striker not a midfielder.

Bilic isn't Guardiola. We aren't Barcelona.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #903 on: June 20, 2020, 05:30:56 PM »
erm because he's a striker not a midfielder.

Bilic isn't Guardiola. We aren't Barcelona.

I wouldn't even call him.a striker he's just a forward.  Krovinovic is just as good for goal scoring and assists and is just a better all round player.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #904 on: June 20, 2020, 05:32:15 PM »
Picked the wrong team today.  Krovinovic was the outstanding player for last few games before lockdown and he got 5 minutes.  How can you pick HRK instead of him?  It's about picking the best players.  Guardiola played with a False 9 at Barcelona and they still smashed teams.
needs to figure out his best team because this one wasn't, waste of time picking player's on past performances. Phillips, Kanu struggling before shut down. Krovinovic should have started with Diangana also in first team.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #905 on: June 20, 2020, 05:38:26 PM »
I wouldn't even call him.a striker he's just a forward.  Krovinovic is just as good for goal scoring and assists and is just a better all round player.

Krovinovic has assisted 4 time this season with 2 goals Robson Kanu has scored 10 with 1 assist, which is what you'd expect when comparing 2 players that don't play in the same position when one of them is a striker.

You can't logically compare a midfielder with an attacker/forward/striker they are not like for like.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #906 on: June 20, 2020, 05:51:07 PM »
Top five of Robinson up top with Diangana and Grosicki out wide with Pereira in number 10 role. Krovinovic slotting into midfield along side Livermore.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #907 on: June 20, 2020, 06:12:23 PM »
Krovinovic has assisted 4 time this season with 2 goals Robson Kanu has scored 10 with 1 assist, which is what you'd expect when comparing 2 players that don't play in the same position when one of them is a striker.

You can't logically compare a midfielder with an attacker/forward/striker they are not like for like.

Not much in it HRK also had more gametime.  If Krov played in his position then he'd be 10 yards further up the pitch giving loads more potential for goals and assists.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #908 on: June 20, 2020, 06:29:45 PM »
Well this didn’t take long did it ?😀😀
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #909 on: June 21, 2020, 09:26:52 AM »
I’m not Bilic’s biggest cheerleader, in fact I think despite being incredibly likeable, he’s massively over rated.

However He’s entitled to expect better from those players who simply have to create more when they dominate a game like that. 

Whether it’s HRK or Austin, or Robinson, Grosicki, Pereira, Krovinovic, Philips, or Diangana chosen, they should be capable of more when the other side offers so little.

Let’s stop asking for new contracts for Bilic after passionate interviews though, let’s do it after a period of great results.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #910 on: June 21, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »
Hey Johny, what do you expect from Bilic?
He and the backroom boys have transformed everything about the team/ squad since the dark days.
Oh,by the way did you notice were top of the league again and now 7 points clear of 3rd place.
Crikey mate cut him some slack here.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #911 on: June 21, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »
I’m not Bilic’s biggest cheerleader, in fact I think despite being incredibly likeable, he’s massively over rated.

However He’s entitled to expect better from those players who simply have to create more when they dominate a game like that. 

Whether it’s HRK or Austin, or Robinson, Grosicki, Pereira, Krovinovic, Philips, or Diangana chosen, they should be capable of more when the other side offers so little.

Let’s stop asking for new contracts for Bilic after passionate interviews though, let’s do it after a period of great results.

What, like have us sitting in first position after nearly the whole season?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #912 on: June 21, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »
What, like have us sitting in first position after nearly the whole season?

No, after the next 8 games if we achieve our aim.

It’s a major balls up if we don't get promoted.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #913 on: June 21, 2020, 01:07:25 PM »
Have been critical of Slaven especially when we went seven games without a win but he showed his tactical nouse by turning that blip around. Think yesterday he gave players a chance who maybe looked sharp in training but let him down badly in game. Trust him to get us up especially after seeing results elsewhere and in hindsight a draw doesn't look like a bad result.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #914 on: June 21, 2020, 03:27:56 PM »
I was curious about last year compared to this year....

After we beat Blues last season, we had 70 points from 39 games. After 39 games this season we could have 74, 72 or 71.

Now obviously it’s hard to compare seasons, but you could make a case for the league being harder last year or more competitive this depending on your agenda. I think it does show that some of the praise, adulation and love for Bilic is a little over the top though. In many respects he seems to have a lot of the same issues DM (and later JS) had but gets far less stick - a great advert for the power of PR and managing your personal ‘brand’.

Now I do have much more confidence in Bilic and I’d much rather have him than Moore, but the difference between the two so far isn't as pronounced as even I thought it would be.

Yes I understand Moore had Gayle and J-rod, but SB has Pereira, Diangana and at very least signed off on Zohore.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #915 on: June 22, 2020, 09:05:47 PM »
I’ll tell you what worries me ....throughout this season we don’t seem to have one off blips, at present we haven’t scored in over 270 minutes of league football, the run we had without winning pre Christmas dragged on....and despite him being very popular etc...I still think that Slaven has had the advantage of injuries/suspensions making the big decisions for him (when sawyers desperately needed dropping)
I have a fear he picks the same starting 11 as per the blues game....and that won’t end well .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #916 on: June 22, 2020, 09:45:50 PM »
I’ll tell you what worries me ....throughout this season we don’t seem to have one off blips, at present we haven’t scored in over 270 minutes of league football, the run we had without winning pre Christmas dragged on....and despite him being very popular etc...I still think that Slaven has had the advantage of injuries/suspensions making the big decisions for him (when sawyers desperately needed dropping)
I have a fear he picks the same starting 11 as per the blues game....and that won’t end well .

There isn't a cat in hells chance he will go with the starting X1 he picked against Blues. No chance. There will be changes.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #917 on: June 23, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
Not much in it HRK also had more gametime. If Krov played in his position then he'd be 10 yards further up the pitch giving loads more potential for goals and assists.

That's a ridiculous argument to make. Krovinovic isn't a striker/forward whatever word you want to use. If he played 10 yards further forward as you suggest he would look like a midfielder playing out of position.

Krovinovic joining Sawyers and Livermore in a midfield 3 yes but not replacing a forward.

Anyway back to Bilic.

I'm sure that he will put out a slighter different team/squad for the Brentford game. I would expect to see Grosicki on the bench (if not starting). I think Diangana will come in for Robinson and we may well go 4-3-3 with Krovinovic joining Livermore and Sawyers in midfield.

The team he put out against Blues was good enough to beat them but due to a lack of being able to break down a very stubborn defensive side and also when we did put balls in the box nobody anticipated them plus some wayward shooting we didn't win.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:44:49 AM by Hull Baggie »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #918 on: June 23, 2020, 09:52:57 AM »

I'm sure that he will put out a slighter different team/squad for the Brentford game. I would expect to see Grosicki on the bench (if not starting).

I agree. I think we will see Grosicki on the bench. However, I'm sure there was an occasion before the shutdown where Grosicki didnt make the squad too. So I do wonder how much Bilic fancies him.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #919 on: June 23, 2020, 11:39:09 AM »
I agree. I think we will see Grosicki on the bench. However, I'm sure there was an occasion before the shutdown where Grosicki didnt make the squad too. So I do wonder how much Bilic fancies him.

Didn't Bilic try and sign him in the past? I read somewhere that Grosicki had gone back to Poland during lockdown. Maybe a case of him not being fit enough to play perhaps?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #920 on: June 23, 2020, 11:43:01 AM »
The game will be way more open against Brentford so I wouldn't worry about the starting formation, even if he picked the same against Blues.  Our problem, when teams put 10 men behind the ball, is that we don't have any real prescence in the box if we can't get our midfield in there.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #921 on: June 23, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »
There isn't a cat in hells chance he will go with the starting X1 he picked against Blues. No chance. There will be changes.

Agree with this 100%. He has shown on several occasions he is not afraid to make changes. He was given a 2 year remit to get the club promoted and is ahead of schedule following a major rebuild last summer.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #922 on: June 23, 2020, 04:37:46 PM »
That's a ridiculous argument to make. Krovinovic isn't a striker/forward whatever word you want to use. If he played 10 yards further forward as you suggest he would look like a midfielder playing out of position.

Krovinovic joining Sawyers and Livermore in a midfield 3 yes but not replacing a forward.

Anyway back to Bilic.

I'm sure that he will put out a slighter different team/squad for the Brentford game. I would expect to see Grosicki on the bench (if not starting). I think Diangana will come in for Robinson and we may well go 4-3-3 with Krovinovic joining Livermore and Sawyers in midfield.

The team he put out against Blues was good enough to beat them but due to a lack of being able to break down a very stubborn defensive side and also when we did put balls in the box nobody anticipated them plus some wayward shooting we didn't win.

Not ridiculous at all.  Krovinovic couldn't play in a midfield. 2 just like Brunt, Greening, Barry etc.  He is not fast enough for an outright winger either.  He doesn't have defensive capability.  He is a player in the mould of Messi, Cantona, Zidane, Zola etc a No10 playmaker.  It's not ideal but sometimes. Special circumstances dictate.  He is a bettet player than HRK every day of the week, if you can't see that well......  What is it 3 hours without a championship goal.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #923 on: June 23, 2020, 04:57:23 PM »
Not ridiculous at all.  Krovinovic couldn't play in a midfield. 2 just like Brunt, Greening, Barry etc.  He is not fast enough for an outright winger either.  He doesn't have defensive capability.  He is a player in the mould of Messi, Cantona, Zidane, Zola etc a No10 playmaker.  It's not ideal but sometimes. Special circumstances dictate.  He is a bettet player than HRK every day of the week, if you can't see that well......  What is it 3 hours without a championship goal.

I agree his isnt one of a central midfield two.

He isnt in the mould of any of those players though. Firstly, nobody else is in Messi's mould. He is the greatest goalscorer of all time and also happens to have the most assists.

The rest were all significantly bigger goal threats than Krovinovic is so even forgetting the obvious differences in class his game is nothing like any of theres were. 

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #924 on: June 23, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »
Agree with this 100%. He has shown on several occasions he is not afraid to make changes. He was given a 2 year remit to get the club promoted and is ahead of schedule following a major rebuild last summer.
I honestly cannot think of any big changes to personal,tactics he has made that were positive, without them being made for him by injuries/suspensions,..can you?