Author Topic: A few key issues raised today.  (Read 12796 times)

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

A few key issues raised today.
« on: January 31, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »
1 - The Pulis style is well and truly upon us. Alot of fans were (quite rightly) asking for a much higher pressing game. But you dont get this with TP. He would of been the only man 'happy' to see us sit back as they are his usual instructions.

2 - I hate his idea of having an entire back four made up of 6ft plus CB's. I maybe, just maybe, could accept it if we player anyone other than Lescott at LB. Not only is he poor there, and limits us both attackingly & defensively playing there, we also have moved our best CB & broken up our best CB partnership. Lescott must go back to CB next week.

3 - If he was allowed, i think Pulis would sign a further 3 midfielders. I really dont think he would be happy with Morrison & Brunt and i also think he would prefer a better link up man.

4 - Brunt is shocking. He's days are surely numbered.

5 - Wisdom. Send him back.

If anyone wants to add more; feel free to keep the list numbered!

bry

• Youth Baggie

Re: A few key issues raised today.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
In my opinion after watching today’s game we need in this order:
1.   New left back
2.   Lescott needs to go back in the middle
3.   Brunt needs to be dropped
4.   If Fletcher is fit enough we need to buy him or an equivalent – competitive and can pass to one of our players consistently
5.   Bring back Olsson in the center with lescott

In the longer term competition to Foster and a new right back

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 06:41:29 PM »
1. Something needs to be done regarding negative atmosphere and disconnect between team and fans. Who pays hundreds of pounds to sit there and moan - failure then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy!
2. New Cm, left winger, Lb and striker is crucial if we're to stay up!

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 06:41:57 PM »
In my opinion after watching today’s game we need in this order:
1.   New left back
2.   Lescott needs to go back in the middle
3.   Brunt needs to be dropped
4.   If Fletcher is fit enough we need to buy him or an equivalent – competitive and can pass to one of our players consistently
5.   Bring back Olsson in the center with lescott

In the longer term competition to Foster and a new right back
Why? Pocognoli and Baird are more than good-enough there.

Fletcher would be a disaster with his illness at the wages quoted.

Dawson > McAuley and Olsson

Agree that Brunt needs to be dropped and Lescott needs to be in the centre though. We also need to drop Wisdom and go to a 4-2-3-1 with Sess behind Berahino.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 06:45:45 PM »
1. Something needs to be done regarding negative atmosphere and disconnect between team and fans. Who pays hundreds of pounds to sit there and moan - failure then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy!
2. New Cm, left winger, Lb and striker is crucial if we're to stay up!

The negative atmosphere will be over when the fans see something to respond to on the pitch.

I felt pretty much lifeless after the opening five minutes when we allowed Spurs to pass it around with the freedom of Sandwell.

A few crunching tackles and a bit of urgency would easily have raised the levels. We sat deeper, deeper and then gave away a goal.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »
I recall many half full but noisy Hawthorns in the 90s. Fans have a large chip on our shoulders which needs to be removed in my opinion. Team won't win more at home til we creat a better atmosphere so this is a circular argument

Baggie Boy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:56:11 PM »
I actually don't think today's game was as bad as the scoreline suggests. McManaman I thought was decent, Yacob, McAuley and Lescott (despite being out of position) weren't that bad, nor was Dawson.

I thought Morrison was the worst for us today, shows a lack of confidence and was generally poor in ball retention. The atmosphere was bad and the abuse of Berahino in the East Stand was awful.

Their first goal was a beauty, Kane's first was poor defending in that we didn't press them enough and the penalty, I don't believe should have been one.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
How bad must Gamboa be that wisdom is getting picked over him.
Why isnt pocognoli and sessegnon starting every game.
Play berahino more central, he looks bored on the side.

labaggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 06:58:31 PM »
I recall many half full but noisy Hawthorns in the 90s. Fans have a large chip on our shoulders which needs to be removed in my opinion. Team won't win more at home til we creat a better atmosphere so this is a circular argument

Thats a very interesting notion, remove the fans.... dear oh dear!!!!!

What is happening at the Hawthorns.
Penny Arcade.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »
Not sure the atmosphere would be much worse/ more flat with a half full ground! It's embarrasing.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 07:13:43 PM »
Of the 11 starting today, in my view 7 of the 11 either shouldn't be on the pitch or were played out of position.

Wisdom, Dawson, Brunt, Anichebe and Morrison shouldn't be on the pitch, while Lescott and Berahino were played out of position. Lescott is our best centre back and Berahino is our best striker, yet Lescott plays left back and Berahino sits deep when his game is about making runs beyond the opposition defence.

Even when Gardner came on he was played out of position.

Its absolutely astonishing.

Looks to me like Sniper Pulis has been sent by Stoke to finish off the good work that Irvine started.

How I wish that we had Mel and the squad that we started the season with.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 07:17:21 PM »
Of the 11 starting today, in my view 7 of the 11 either shouldn't be on the pitch or were played out of position.

Wisdom, Dawson, Brunt, Anichebe and Morrison shouldn't be on the pitch, while Lescott and Berahino were played out of position. Lescott is our best centre back and Berahino is our best striker, yet Lescott plays left back and Berahino sits deep when his game is about making runs beyond the opposition defence.

Even when Gardner came on he was played out of position.

Its absolutely astonishing.

Looks to me like Sniper Pulis has been sent by Stoke to finish off the good work that Irvine started.

This. With Dean Kiely and Keith Downing out at the start of the season and with the players knowing who's boss.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »

That's it blame the supporters.

It's nothing to do with people having 'chips on their shoulders'.  At the end of the day were supposed to be watching an elite standard of football and all you get served up with is the same old duffers week in week out who are incapable of doing anything of note.

If modern day football wasn't so tediously boring maybe the atmosphere would improve. 

The days of creating atmospheres are dead and it's not just Albion it's the majority of teams nowadays.  Fans quite rightly feel alienated when you look at the amount of money players are paid and how plain average the majority of them are.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 07:39:24 PM »

Too bad he's doing really well in his now job innit?!  ;)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 08:31:01 PM »
That's it blame the supporters.

It's nothing to do with people having 'chips on their shoulders'.  At the end of the day were supposed to be watching an elite standard of football and all you get served up with is the same old duffers week in week out who are incapable of doing anything of note.

If modern day football wasn't so tediously boring maybe the atmosphere would improve. 

The days of creating atmospheres are dead and it's not just Albion it's the majority of teams nowadays.  Fans quite rightly feel alienated when you look at the amount of money players are paid and how plain average the majority of them are.

I'm not blaming the fans for everything but a big part of lifting the home form could come from the fans creating a better atmosphere.  I just don't see the point of people going with the intention of moaning and not contributing. Watch it at home where you can sit in silence or moan alone.

I know this isn't just Albion as Wolves fans I know have said the atmosphere there is better for having cleaned out a few thousand fans who only got on the premier league bandwagon. Relatively speaking compared to Wolves and Blues we are blessed but we don't act like it. We're a good club generally doing ok with a decent manager who needs to clear out the squad and rebuild. We need to give the club time for that to happen.....let's try to enjoy the ride eh?

brianjohn

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
The athmosphere at the Blues last week was great. Such a shame we can t replicate it at home.

B714LF

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 09:15:19 PM »
I personally did'nt think it was a Pulis like performance it was just like watching Albion under a number of past recent managers. To much of the old gardeme thinks.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »
The athmosphere at the Blues last week was great. Such a shame we can t replicate it at home.

Spot on, we have great fans who are amongst the best and most tolerant out there. We can be amazing and realistic, however we might be in danger of catching the Villa's superiority complex and forgetting we need to make noise to help the team like newly promoted sides do. It is difficult when the team have been so poor at home but every little helps......

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 11:27:12 PM »

You're right, the whole make up of the support now has changed so much over the last 15-20 years. I don't think it's just us suffering from this by the way. I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but I honestly mean no harm, it's just that the support is now predominantly more 'middle class', more affluent now. A lot more families who don't want to hear the bad language and have their view blocked. A lot of the newer, post 2002 Albion fans have never really witnessed the proper rubbish. it's more of a day out for a lot of fans now. They EXPECT to be entertained. I feel really strongly and passionately about this as you can gather. We, the Albion, need the old style support back to try to motivate the team and bring an atmosphere back. If this ruffles a few feathers then so be it.

bombersboots

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 12:13:22 AM »
You're right, the whole make up of the support now has changed so much over the last 15-20 years. I don't think it's just us suffering from this by the way. I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but I honestly mean no harm, it's just that the support is now predominantly more 'middle class', more affluent now. A lot more families who don't want to hear the bad language and have their view blocked. A lot of the newer, post 2002 Albion fans have never really witnessed the proper rubbish. it's more of a day out for a lot of fans now. They EXPECT to be entertained. I feel really strongly and passionately about this as you can gather. We, the Albion, need the old style support back to try to motivate the team and bring an atmosphere back. If this ruffles a few feathers then so be it.
Great post, me and the old man were saying similar things today, I could go on all day about the why and wherefores of our failures and expectations as fans, but I'd really,really like us to have a 'Harry Kane' I.e. 'one of our own' cause the fans sorely a someone to actually care about how were fairing right now.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 12:18:16 AM »

Well said mate, the crowd attending premier league matches is way different to this who went 10 or 20 years ago, that's very clear. I to great I can take my young kids but there's got to be a place / places where people can be vocal and take part more e.g. Designated standing areas? (Whole new topic).

The point is, we can't slag off the players for being defeatist when we fans are the same. We used to revel in being underdogs, now we're slipping into this malaise of moaning , too busy concentrating on drinking from our flasks with our blankets on our laps instead of realising our input ( a shout, clap, sing whatever) does help the players - this is not about age of fans, definitely not because my dad was more vocal when he was older then before!

The great escape season, football was awful but we bought into the fact that we had to help the team so I don't buy the argument that if the palayers aren't playing well we don't sing or try to crest an atmosphere.

Each game I still expect the fans to burst into life, the Man Utd home his was electric at times and therefore I know ' it's ' there. We cannot rely on the players alone to get things going. Whilst fans passively believe the planyers should perform for them at their beckoned call, the connection won't improve.  I've said enough on this subject now anyway, hopefully things pick up.........or perhaps the vibrancy  is slipping from grounds everywhere which is a shame as this is what has set the British game apart historically.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:20:38 AM by darbolina »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 12:18:37 AM »
Albion already have someone who is "one of their own". Unfortunately he is such a problematic character that fans find it increasingly difficult to warm too him.

Furthermore, lets not blame the fans for the troubles at the club. We are where we are because the powers that be have made some shocking decisions in terms of recruitment and managerial appointments. Its hardly surprising that fans feel so disengaged and disinterested when we constantly get so much wrong.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 12:24:39 AM »
Albion already have someone who is "one of their own". Unfortunately he is such a problematic character that fans find it increasingly difficult to warm too him.

Furthermore, lets not blame the fans for the troubles at the club. We are where we are because the powers that be have made some shocking decisions in terms of recruitment and managerial appointments. Its hardly surprising that fans feel so disengaged and disinterested when we constantly get so much wrong.

Absolutely agree the club has made some mistakes which have caused the mood but when do we move on ? When we win a cup? Stay up? Go down? Sign a 10m player ( oh we did that didn't work)?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 12:29:49 AM »
I hear a lot of criticism and analysis about the baggies these days but this thread is there to discuss some solutions, ideas........what can we do as a club to be better? Couple of obvious ones to me;

Team, sign a LB, CM, Striker and winger as a minimum.

Fans, take responsibility to create a positive atmosphere at home matches and be more resilient when we go behind instead of going into our shells (I remember we used to sing straight after the opponents scored not long ago)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 12:37:11 AM »
Absolutely agree the club has made some mistakes which have caused the mood but when do we move on ? When we win a cup? Stay up? Go down? Sign a 10m player ( oh we did that didn't work)?

I guess fans respond when they see something worthwhile responding too.

I find it incredibly hard to feel so upbeat when I urine about in the freezing cold to notice we're playing players out of position and are setting up for a 0-0 at home. The feelings become even worse when you fall behind after five minutes.

Isn't the stat something like 3 home wins in 2014. Fans pay an awful lot of money on season tickets and many will ultimately feel there is very little value in return to the point where home games have become a chore.

Goals, chances, shots on target, players dribbling, tackling, crunching tackles, playing the crowd, a bit of sustained pressure, pressing, a bit of skill - all of those are facets which rise an atmosphere in a crowd. All of them are missing at this football club.