Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1745425 times)

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #550 on: June 15, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »
I wonder if Billy Jones saw the writing on the wall?

I was disgusted and really let down with Thornes recent comments but cant really argue against hes move to put in a transfer request, Playing for Derby will be alot more appealing than us next season i imagine.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #551 on: June 15, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
I was disgusted and really let down with Thornes recent comments but cant really argue against hes move to put in a transfer request, Playing for Derby will be alot more appealing than us next season i imagine.

Agree, we have basically shown we have no ambition. I would not moan if any of our players handed in a transfer request now, I would not blame them.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #552 on: June 15, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
Just as a matter of interest, what would Alan Irvine have to achieve next season, for the appointment to be considered a success?

Avoid relegation with some decent games to watch. Anything less would be a total f*** up
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:52:27 PM by Quakes Fan »

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #553 on: June 15, 2014, 05:06:15 PM »

It's just a bloody, bloody mess.

I acknowledge what JP has done in terms of building the club up from when he took over, but I think as a leader he's clearly peaked and needs to GO NOW.

Peace is now the problem AND PREVENTING THIS CLUB FROM MAKING FURTHER PROGRESS.

I think that says it all

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #554 on: June 15, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »
Who in their right mind will sign for us now?
I cannot see us attracting anyone decent. It'll be like a pub team.

tipton baggie 80

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #555 on: June 15, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »
While initially also perplexed at the decision, the more I think about it the more I think it might work out for us.

Apparently he is by all means an excellent coach.

He has a clear interest in nurturing / bringing through young talent.

He must have convinced the board that he is the right man for the job, given that they would surely be aware that his appointment would be met with this level of cynicism, yet they chose to appoint him anyway. Like others have said, JP nor any of the other board members benefit financially or otherwise from us failing. He must have impressed massively.

He will know that he has been given a massive opportunity here, with his first interview (working all the hours required, paraphrased) indicating that he feels endebted and will bust his b#lls to make it work.

We have a better structure in place now, compared to last year, in so much that Irvine will seek regular counsel not with Garlick but with Burton, a man who should command our respect if only on the basis that he was valued so highly by Roy Hodgson.

And at the very least, with expectation levels so low, all he can do is overachieve.
West Bromwich Albion, finishing above Staffordshire's finest when in the same league over the last 12 years

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #556 on: June 15, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »
He is a cut of the same cloth as Roy Hodgson. He will aim to get us incredibly organised and our patterns of play will be rigid and structured. There is very little room for attacking maneuver or flexibility. A large number of fans from both Preston and Sheffield Wednesday have referred to his football as boring, mind numbing so I would imagine we'll be opting for a defensive approach maybe relying on our counter attacking to get us points. I really cannot see us being adventurous and taking the game to our opponents and I would certainly say we'll see a lot of long balls.

I was talking to some of my Wednesday supporting mates earlier about him and they referred to him as a game of chess - players unsure where to go just incase they leave their rigid structure. He's very studious when it comes to detail but appears to get too bogged down in what the opposition are likely to do and therefore forgets what his own side should be doing.

I'm not expecting samba football, just defensive organsiation, boring football and 16,000 incredibly frustrated supporters who appear to have been sold down a river with this appointment.

This is just the thing that turned my stomach when Irvine was announced. It shows our club is aiming to do it's own version of Pulisball. Negative, super defensive football aimed at grounding out results. I have no problems with organized teams, in fact it is a fundamental part of any team, but this appointment shows that our philosophy will not be "good football" but more of the RH boring football at best, which I am sure Keith Downing took to heart. This is the culture shock that Pepe Mel and the club had. We are gearing up to play rubbish football just to tread water in the Prem. Boring.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #557 on: June 15, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
Who in their right mind will sign for us now?
I cannot see us attracting anyone decent. It'll be like a pub team.

At the moment unless we surpass ourselves in the transfer market this summer ( which is almost impossible now on many grounds) I cannot see anything bar relegation. Even if we do have a better kitty than usual I cannot see Irvine attracting the right players or signing the right players. I suspect that if we are in the bottom three in November and playing dross Irvine will be on his way. I just hope Peace  lines some up first this time before he is sacked - undoubtedly there will be some good candidates about by then.

Right now I am at my lowest ebb as an Albion fan since Buckley lost 12 on the bounce including 0-3 at home to the Dingles indeed relegation has come easier as we have gone down with the squad to come back up. Very very depressing.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

Moleskine

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #558 on: June 15, 2014, 05:26:40 PM »
We won't win in the first ten games and he'll be sacked. Let's hope. Absolutely pathetic appointment.

I've lost interest in this football club over the last 18 months and yesterday was the last straw.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #559 on: June 15, 2014, 05:27:40 PM »
While initially also perplexed at the decision, the more I think about it the more I think it might work out for us.

He must have convinced the board that he is the right man for the job, given that they would surely be aware that his appointment would be met with this level of cynicism, yet they chose to appoint him anyway. Like others have said, JP nor any of the other board members benefit financially or otherwise from us failing. He must have impressed massively.

He will know that he has been given a massive opportunity here, with his first interview (working all the hours required, paraphrased) indicating that he feels endebted and will bust his b#lls to make it work.

We have a better structure in place now, compared to last year, in so much that Irvine will seek regular counsel not with Garlick but with Burton, a man who should command our respect if only on the basis that he was valued so highly by Roy Hodgson.

And at the very least, with expectation levels so low, all he can do is overachieve.

All of the above is worthy of consideration.  Also, being devil's advocate really, you have to wonder what would have happened if Tim had got his way and then it had turned out to be a disaster. I for one am prepared to give Irvine a chance, but only because 1)I'm old and I remember the REAL hungry years 2)I don't see what choice there is now for next season.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #560 on: June 15, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »

This is a very good post, well thought out tb80.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #561 on: June 15, 2014, 05:29:35 PM »
For those who say give him chance, yes,  I will go up to the Hawthorns start of the  new season , just as I would if we'd appointed the chief scout of Alloa Athletic or the head coach of Solihull Moors (women's section).  However....he will have to hit the ground running as I imagine people's patience will run out pretty rapidly if results are poor. Whereas managers with a decent track record and a bright innovative approach might be given more time, I'm afraid Irvine will not have that luxury, as this is so obviously an accident waiting to happen. 

To be honest apart from with us, I can't recall Irvine being linked with any other jobs. I suppose we don't need to ask why Everton didn't consider him for their vacancy when Moyes left. And Moyes didn't apparently even try to take him as an ASSISTANT to Old Trafford. What does that tell you?

I understand our budgetary situation is not the same as for most Premier clubs, but I still can't get my head around the fact that we couldn't attract a coach with a more impressive track record. The premier league is watched from around the World and there are 20 head coach/managers jobs, of which only a proportion will be free at any time. In other words,  the supply of quality potential coaches must far exceed the number of vacancies. Did we even try for Ronald Koeman, who wants to manage in the Premier league and who has led some big clubs?

I will be watching Irvine's progress with hyper-critical eyes, along with 20-25,000 other Albion fans. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #562 on: June 15, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »
i am totally mystified by the expression best available...............if this bloke is the best available then there must be some pretty  poor coaches in bloody good jobs!! >:(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:44:40 PM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #563 on: June 15, 2014, 05:39:52 PM »
Alex McLeish tenure at Villa was always going to end in failure, the appointment of Irvine has the same feel about it.

If it is simply about the coaching badge Aidy Boothroyd would have been a better appointment.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #564 on: June 15, 2014, 05:50:19 PM »
Absolutely horrified by the appointment - been sitting reading through each page of this thread.

People are going to try and put any sort of positive on this, but there are non. Absolutely nothing. The facts are that this was a cheap appointment in a situation where our chairman yet again is unwilling to back down after only a few weeks back apparently seeing the light.

There are no positives to take from this and I can only hope that the fans spit venom at the first opportunity - I can't even imagine the response he's going to get when introduced at our first home game. Irvine will be gone within 5 games, I'm absolutely sure of it.

This is a sickening appointment and signals the end of my close association of Albion, I will no longer be travelling across the country, paying good money to go and watch a club run by a cheap, stubborn chairman.

Alan Irvine - I hope it goes absolutely tits up for you, not because I particular dislike you, but because this club needs a serious shock (apparently last year wasn't enough). You are going to feel the wrath of thousands of angry fans, I don't think there has ever been more pressure on a manager before their first game. You will crumble, we will crumble and hopefully Peace will crumble.

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #565 on: June 15, 2014, 06:05:04 PM »
Absolutely horrified by the appointment - been sitting reading through each page of this thread.

People are going to try and put any sort of positive on this, but there are non. Absolutely nothing. The facts are that this was a cheap appointment in a situation where our chairman yet again is unwilling to back down after only a few weeks back apparently seeing the light.

There are no positives to take from this and I can only hope that the fans spit venom at the first opportunity - I can't even imagine the response he's going to get when introduced at our first home game. Irvine will be gone within 5 games, I'm absolutely sure of it.

This is a sickening appointment and signals the end of my close association of Albion, I will no longer be travelling across the country, paying good money to go and watch a club run by a cheap, stubborn chairman.

Alan Irvine - I hope it goes absolutely tits up for you, not because I particular dislike you, but because this club needs a serious shock (apparently last year wasn't enough). You are going to feel the wrath of thousands of angry fans, I don't think there has ever been more pressure on a manager before their first game. You will crumble, we will crumble and hopefully Peace will crumble.

So, as an Albion fan you want the club to fail so that you can tell us 'I told you so'........... hmmm alternative view I guess.

As for there being no positives, well I'm sure I've read a few posted on here today but then again, yourself & many others seem to have made up your minds before the guy has pulled on a tracksuit.

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #566 on: June 15, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »
So, as an Albion fan you want the club to fail so that you can tell us 'I told you so'........... hmmm alternative view I guess.

As for there being no positives, well I'm sure I've read a few posted on here today but then again, yourself & many others seem to have made up your minds before the guy has pulled on a tracksuit.

It's not a case of truly wanting us to fail, it's more a realisation that is the direction we are heading.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #567 on: June 15, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »
Dear Mr Irvine.

According to local media you have not yet finalised your release from your current job at Everton.  If have taken the time to check the local press and social media, you will see that you are not wanted by the overwhelming majority of WBA fans, myself included.

I have read that you are delighted at being offered the job. I am sure your are. But we are not.  Withdraw your application and stay away from our club.

Peace may want you but we do not.

academy@evertonfc.com    Just sent

Good god. Driving him out before he even starts, nice one.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #568 on: June 15, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »
Dear Mr Irvine.

According to local media you have not yet finalised your release from your current job at Everton.  If have taken the time to check the local press and social media, you will see that you are not wanted by the overwhelming majority of WBA fans, myself included.

I have read that you are delighted at being offered the job. I am sure your are. But we are not.  Withdraw your application and stay away from our club.

from just down the N332 i doff my cap sir :)
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #569 on: June 15, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »
You know what, Irvine is doomed to failure.....why?

Not because he is a bad coach....unlike most on here I'm prepared to give him a chance

He'll fail because of all the doom merchants on here who are not prepared to even let the season start before turning against the club.

This is no way to support the team, whether you agree with Peace or not...we support West Bromwich Albion.

We may not agree with the decision but unless anybody fancies buying Peace out and making the decisions, this is what we have.

It may not work out but the least we can do is support the team and do our bit to make it work.

Peace is not going anywhere so anybody who is not prepared to support the team may as well stay at home....we don't need the negativity.

We are supporters......thick or thin.

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #570 on: June 15, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »
It's not a case of truly wanting us to fail, it's more a realisation that is the direction we are heading.

Sorry mate but you cannot unequivocally state what direction the club is going before Irvine has been in the job 5 minutes.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #571 on: June 15, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »
You know what, Irvine is doomed to failure.....why?

Not because he is a bad coach....unlike most on here I'm prepared to give him a chance

He'll fail because of all the doom merchants on here who are not prepared to even let the season start before turning against the club.

This is no way to support the team, whether you agree with Peace or not...we support West Bromwich Albion.

We may not agree with the decision but unless anybody fancies buying Peace out and making the decisions, this is what we have.

It may not work out but the least we can do is support the team and do our bit to make it work.

Peace is not going anywhere so anybody who is not prepared to support the team may as well stay at home....we don't need the negativity.

We are supporters......thick or thin.

We have just finished what can only be described as an awful season.

Supporters simply wanted the season to come to an end so we could look forward.

The club had an opportunity to give us renewed hope.

They have failed miserably.

Having saved money by appointing a second class coach, will Peace restore our faith by giving us 4 or 5 top quality signings. I know what I think the answer will be.

Whilst I remain a fan, I have lost all hope.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #572 on: June 15, 2014, 06:30:04 PM »
We have just finished what can only be described as an awful season.

Supporters simply wanted the season to come to an end so we could look forward.

The club had an opportunity to give us renewed hope.

They have failed miserably.

Having saved money by appointing a second class coach, will Peace restore our faith by giving us 4 or 5 top quality signings. I know what I think the answer will be.

Whilst I remain a fan, I have lost all hope.
I do actually agree with many posts, it is a very underwhelming appointment.

But the venom shown by some fans is getting ridiculous.

All I'm saying is give it a chance and show some support.

The last thing we want is the fans turning against the team in the first game if it is not going well.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #573 on: June 15, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »
Do you have a link to the quotes of Billy Jones, Richard Chaplow, & Craig Beattie please.
As several people keep repeating it, I'm looking forward to someone posting all the quotes that say what a great coach Irvine is. After all, Preston and Sheff Wed did so well under him.....

Someone else posted that he's a great no. 2. There's an interesting alternative connotation to that that I'll leave people to think about for themselves, and perhaps the original poster was sarcastically implying this, but Irvine hasn't been a successful assistant manager anywhere that I can see from his record, so perhaps someone can put me straight on that?

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #574 on: June 15, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »
Dear Mr Irvine.

Just to balance it out  ;)

Dear Mr Irvine

Please note that whilst speaking for the overwhelming majority of Albion fans on this forum, alicantebaggie does not speak for myself & a few others.

You have taken on a job that would be difficult if you had the backing of every WBA fan on the planet following last seasons shenanigans, I feel this appointment will test you mentally as well as physically & you may come to regret it, however, I for one hope you prove a lot of people wrong & do a fine job at the Albion.

Welcome aboard & the very best of luck (you're going to need it my friend)

academy@evertonfc.com
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:43:15 PM by dont ask me to choose luv »