Author Topic: 3 Mar 2020 Albion 2 Newcastle Utd 3 (FA Cup Round 5)  (Read 85696 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: FA Cup Round 5 - Newcastle United (H)
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2020, 09:52:29 AM »
No realistic chance of winning it but maybe a trip to Wembley for the semi. Still a tough ask as we would need to beat Newcastle plus probably one other Prem side. Best case scenario, looking at fixtures, would be a home tie against Reading / Sheff Utd or Saints/ Spurs / Norwich. I know Portsmouth, Blues and Derby are all still in it but expect them to get beat in the next round.
Football's all about hope though, lose that and there's really little left so still looking forward to Newcastle.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2020, 10:06:04 AM »
I'm dreading a repeat of 1974 (I was there). Bruce will view this as a huge chance to really get the NUFC fans behind him and the team....think he'll field a very strong side and their fans will turn up in huge numbers and probably infiltrate home areas.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
I'm dreading a repeat of 1974 (I was there). Bruce will view this as a huge chance to really get the NUFC fans behind him and the team....think he'll field a very strong side and their fans will turn up in huge numbers and probably infiltrate home areas.

They wont. People seem to say this sort of thing quite often but it isnt true these days, even when on general sale people need a recent booking history to buy tickets. You will always get the odd one that get in home areas like any other game and any other clubs but there wont be numerous Newcastle fans in home sections.

They will probably be given the whole of the Smethwick End though and if they do I've no doubt they will fill it.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »
According to Google the game is on the 5th (at 19.45), which is a Thursday and less than 48 hours before both teams play in the league.

If they don't want to de-value the cup then stupid match Fates like this shouldn't be allowed.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2020, 12:00:47 PM »
According to Google the game is on the 5th (at 19.45), which is a Thursday and less than 48 hours before both teams play in the league.

If they don't want to de-value the cup then stupid match Fates like this shouldn't be allowed.

FA website is saying Wednesday 4 March at 19.45....confused.com!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2020, 12:43:27 PM »
I am totally with ttree-30. This competition should be treated very seriously by the club and we should be doing our level best to progress. Given the right team and right attitude I feel that we could beat Newcastle, regardless of how many fans they bring. You are then in a quarter final and one match from Wembley. We have an opportunity, let's go for it!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »
FA website is saying Wednesday 4 March at 19.45....confused.com!
Does it give that date for all the games as it may just be default match date.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »
Can't see it being a Thursday to be honest.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2020, 01:13:05 PM »
Can't see it being a Thursday to be honest.

3/4/5 are the dates stated so there’s a chance it could be on the Thursday

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2020, 01:28:14 PM »
Does it give that date for all the games as it may just be default match date.

Looks like the FA website has them all marked as Wed 4th and Google has them all marked as Thur 5th.

So no date confirmed for our game yet.

Per another poster, at least one game in the round will be on the Thursday so my point stands re devaluing the cup.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2020, 03:10:47 PM »
They have all the Smethwick.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2020, 03:26:55 PM »
Our chances will in part depend on what team Newcastle puts out. Looking through their line-up v Oxford, about half the names I didn't recognise as first teamers, but then I don't know alot about Newcastle.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »
Our chances will in part depend on what team Newcastle puts out. Looking through their line-up v Oxford, about half the names I didn't recognise as first teamers, but then I don't know alot about Newcastle.

Really? Most of them were first teamers...

Newcastle

Darlow
Yedlin
Schär
Lascelles
Lejeune
Ritchie
S Longstaff
M Longstaff
Bentaleb
Joelinton
Almirón

The keeper is the sub keeper, the back three were their first choice, Ritchie was first choice until Rose signed, Yedlin alternates with Manquillo at right back. The Longstaff brothers alternate with Shelvey and Hayden in the midfield, Bentaleb, Joelinton and Almiron all first choice.

Pretty strong line up from them. Shelvey, Hayden and St. Maximim are the only players who would really enhance the side.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2020, 04:49:21 PM »

West Ham put out a fairly full strength team and looked absolute cack against us; particularly in the first-half. Newcastle are a slight level above in fairness; but I take half-hearted first teamers rather than fired up back-up.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2020, 05:29:12 PM »
>:( >:( >:( :( :( :(

Although it was almost inevitable they'd have got the whole of the Smeth' I'm distinctly unimpressed too.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2020, 06:32:02 PM »
It's in our favour that there is no reply. It's a 50/50 game in my opinion.

I take it by beloved MC will be overrun by the Smethwick hordes now? Nah, s'all good. The MC have been making quite a racket this season and we appreciate the reinforcements, especially if you are looking to stand. Sitters, please make alternative arrangements.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »
Although it was almost inevitable they'd have got the whole of the Smeth' I'm distinctly unimpressed too.

Even more so when at West Ham a ground that’s holds 62k couldn't give us 15%
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
Is it all about income?

Do we know how much ticket prices are for away fans? Can we charge them more than home our supporters?

Does the Smethwick End represent 15% of our capacity? Or would it be impossible to give them just a 15% allocation in a single stand without handing it all over?

If not, I don’t understand giving them all of the Smethwick End
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2020, 08:00:49 PM »
Couldn't we have given them the same amount of the Smethwick as the home fans had against Boro?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2020, 08:06:51 PM »
Couldn't we have given them the same amount of the Smethwick as the home fans had against Boro?

Isn’t FA Cup games allocation different to league games allocations?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2020, 09:07:50 PM »
FA Cup is 15% of capacity for away fans with exceptions for safety etc so say 26k cap = 3900 for away team. We cant split the SME like that so it is more cost effective I guess to give them the whole end. It does pee me off that we couldn't have designed all this better. btw 10% for league games
I maybe wrong but I think both teams have to agree on the pricing as the proceeds are split equally???
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2020, 10:45:40 PM »
Is it all about income?

Do we know how much ticket prices are for away fans? Can we charge them more than home our supporters?

Does the Smethwick End represent 15% of our capacity? Or would it be impossible to give them just a 15% allocation in a single stand without handing it all over?

If not, I don’t understand giving them all of the Smethwick End

Smethwick end is roughly 20%, no real way of giving them 15 percent. Unless we gave the Halfords to them which would make policing a nightmare.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2020, 09:20:30 AM »
Just got my ticket, looking forward to it. Think we've got a good chance to progress.

The QF draw will be tough (depending on results obviously) as I'm expecting Chelsea, Man City, Leicester and Spurs to all go through. Potential banana skins for Man Utd, Sheff Utd and Arsenal.

Hoping it's more like Reading, Portsmouth, Norwich, Blues, Sheff Wed, Liverpool kids and Derby that get through though!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:45:26 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »
Thought we would be able to get at least 1 more with our ST's! GOtta wait till the 24th now to go on general sale.