Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668167 times)

geoff

• WBA Coach

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #675 on: September 01, 2019, 07:07:45 PM »
Untill he has a settled defence infront of him i'll stay 50% 50% on him but his time to shine must be this season.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #676 on: September 01, 2019, 07:57:35 PM »
Untill he has a settled defence infront of him i'll stay 50% 50% on him but his time to shine must be this season.

Works both ways. Swap him and Bartley for Al Habsi and Hegazi and we'd see a big improvement.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #677 on: September 01, 2019, 08:19:10 PM »
As I said earlier on social media. Beginning of the end when the home fans turn vocally. We'll be in the market in January, won't deny I'm pleased by that but I'd prefer it not to be the crowds decision.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #678 on: September 01, 2019, 08:30:51 PM »
That was a bad goal to concede yesterday. Al Habsi is 37 so will hopefully either be able to step in to the first team or he can help to settle Johnstone down somehow. There seems to be a very good (technical) keeper in there but (painfully similar to Carson), there seems to almost be a mental issue there which is maybe confidence, focus or maybe complacency related  - which means he's not quite there.

I'd personally take him out of the team for a bit and hope this helps him get his focus / desire back. He's still very young for a keeper and should improve in all areas. In a couple of years time, he could become a top keeper but the way he's going he'll fall away.......

I do think we were massively spoilt by Ben Foster too who was the best keeper we've ever had............I'm not sure there are many better keepers in the championship than Johnstone at the moment?

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #679 on: September 01, 2019, 08:46:42 PM »
Nonsense, Brunt, Barry, Livermore, Bartley amongst countless others have been vocally opposed by the crowd at times, and all of them remain valuable senior players to the club, and those are just examples of current players. 3 good games and Johnstones a hero at the Hawthorns, football fans (including ours) are very fickle.

Well said, Ollie.
Bloody great post.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #680 on: September 01, 2019, 08:51:30 PM »
That was a bad goal to concede yesterday. Al Habsi is 37 so will hopefully either be able to step in to the first team or he can help to settle Johnstone down somehow. There seems to be a very good (technical) keeper in there but (painfully similar to Carson), there seems to almost be a mental issue there which is maybe confidence, focus or maybe complacency related  - which means he's not quite there.

I'd personally take him out of the team for a bit and hope this helps him get his focus / desire back. He's still very young for a keeper and should improve in all areas. In a couple of years time, he could become a top keeper but the way he's going he'll fall away.......

I do think we were massively spoilt by Ben Foster too who was the best keeper we've ever had............I'm not sure there are many better keepers in the championship than Johnstone at the moment?
I don't know how old you are but Ben Foster is not the best keeper we have ever had!

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #681 on: September 01, 2019, 09:25:32 PM »
I don't know how old you are but Ben Foster is not the best keeper we have ever had!

ha ha fair play , i never saw john osborne but since i started watching in the early 80s , Foster was easily the best I saw. He also played behind a very solid, drilled defence mind which you could argue Johnstone clearly hasn't had the benefit of.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #682 on: September 01, 2019, 10:07:06 PM »
ha ha fair play , i never saw john osborne but since i started watching in the early 80s , Foster was easily the best I saw. He also played behind a very solid, drilled defence mind which you could argue Johnstone clearly hasn't had the benefit of.

In fairness if Sam was behind Jonas and GMac in their pomp he would look a damn sight better!!!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #683 on: September 01, 2019, 11:26:31 PM »
Nonsense. Brunt, Barry, Livermore, Bartley amongst countless others have been vocally opposed by the crowd at times, and all of them remain valuable senior players to the club (and those are just examples of current players). 3 good games and Johnstones a hero at the Hawthorns, football fans (including ours) are very fickle.

It's different for keepers. He won't last now the crowd have turned.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #684 on: September 02, 2019, 09:35:16 AM »
I have tried my hardest to defend him, but it is becoming difficult. I see little or no command of his area and he keeps on making these mistakes. If the ball is drilled low on the ground, I have little or no faith in him to make the save. He is certainly not what I was hoping for when we spent over £5m on him. Our transfer business last summer under Moore (permanent as opposed to loans) was just awful, signing him, Bartley and Townsend for over £10m and none of them are good enough.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:12:29 AM by Fritzl Palace »

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #685 on: September 02, 2019, 09:55:22 AM »
First game of the season for me at the Hawthorns. He should of kept hold of the ball for the second goal but was by no means the only one who should shoulder the blame for the goal, unmarked at the back post leading to the shot being blocked and spilled by Jonstone, other chances to clear it a right mess.

Really disappointed with our fans jeering him, makes us look very small time. I don't think he is as good as Foster but is still young and Foster had the benefit of playing behind Premier League defenders. I have not seen a keeper in this league who has impressed me, Butland has the best pedigree at Stoke has made some right clangers this season.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #686 on: September 02, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »
im 56 been going up the Albion for over 45 years and I say Foster is the best keeper we ever had

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #687 on: September 02, 2019, 10:07:56 AM »

It's different for keepers. He won't last now the crowd have turned.
totally agree here outfield players to a certain degree have a place to hide and the odd mistake is not always punished,a keeper is different when the crowd turns, I think its time for Bond to get a chance and I think he may have already but he didn't exactly shine in the Millwall cup game ie there 2nd goal

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #688 on: September 03, 2019, 06:47:08 AM »
im 56 been going up the Albion for over 45 years and I say Foster is the best keeper we ever had

me 42 years ...him or hoult - hoult was behind a better back 4 against weaker opposition

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #689 on: September 03, 2019, 11:33:38 PM »
 ;D 52 years a fan and the best keeper we have had was Ozzie Osborne...always put his body on the line and gave 110% to Albion.

Foster (great keeper) but left after we went down,after saying he was staying.

We do need to support Sam,there is a good keeper in there. His confidence will grow..played a "wordly"at Derby,but spilt a ball the next week. These things happen.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #690 on: September 03, 2019, 11:35:23 PM »
I agree but with SJ these are not isolated incidents rather frequent occurrences.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #691 on: September 04, 2019, 05:24:51 AM »
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/387942955396673674/    A photo of the late great man Ozzie having a quiet smoke while the action is at the other end...given to him by a fan

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #692 on: September 04, 2019, 10:55:04 AM »
My opinion best keepers
 John Osbourne
 Tony Godden
 Russell Hoult and Foster.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #693 on: September 04, 2019, 11:18:52 AM »
 in my time best Godden worse Johnstone
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #694 on: September 04, 2019, 11:51:04 AM »
Best, hard pushed to decide between Ossy / Hoult / Foster
Worst = Mark Grew
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #695 on: September 04, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
Best, hard pushed to decide between Ossy / Hoult / Foster
Worst = Mark Grew
Paul Crichton surely??
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #696 on: September 04, 2019, 12:14:26 PM »
Best:
Godden
Osbourne
Hoult
Foster
Miller
Worst:
Crighton
Zuberbuhler
Rees
Grew

Johnstone lower end of middle.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #697 on: September 04, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »
I've been going for 50 years and would definitely have Foster as best I've seen. Osborne was brave, was a great character but not a top class keeper in my view.
Johnstone is far from the worst but nowhere near the best either.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #698 on: September 05, 2019, 04:22:31 AM »
the worst was the lad that was on bench all season and we let him play the last match home vs Arsenal and he basically threw 3 into his own net and allowed Arsenal to qualify for Europe

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #699 on: September 05, 2019, 06:06:55 AM »
 :( It was Marton Fulop and the poor bloke died in 2015 at the age of only 32.