Author Topic: What are you missing from match days?  (Read 2827 times)

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

What are you missing from match days?
« on: October 08, 2020, 10:40:29 AM »
I have to say I am surprised how much I have missed going to the Hawthorns on match days.  I miss a couple of pre match pints and a chicken tikka in The Vine, the walk to the ground.  On occasion (I am trying to lose weight) a bag of scratchings from the man on the Brummie Road.  The crowds on the way to the ground.  The lovely people around me in the East Stand.  Singing The Lords My Shepherd when we score.  Watching baggie bird having his picture taken with the kids.  The away supporters incredulity at boiler man.  The walk back to the car when we have won and the long journey back to Norfolk listening to WM as far as we can.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: What are you missing from match days?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »
All of it, just all of it I hate not being able to go.

Sometimes I walk to the ground listening to my songs on my phone, singing my head off as I go. If it's raining I catch the train.

I miss the bottle of Carling and the steak and kidney pie. Miss walking to my seat and surveying the surroundings.

I miss the pre match build up on WM while I sit looking at the pitch. The first announcement of the teams.

Obviously I miss the game itself. It's nowhere near the same watching on TV.

I miss catching the train to away games or sometimes the coach. Walking to the opponents stadium and joining the other Baggies fans all together in one stand. Singing with pride and passion. The journey on the way back all cosy inside if we've won. Fed up as hell if we've lost.

Glory hunters dont realise what they miss out on not supporting their local team. Unfortunately we do now.

Let's hope the vaccine arrives soon and we can kick this horrid virus and get back to our beloved Hawthorns in the not too distant future.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:59:50 AM by Atomic »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 11:19:30 AM »
I go to games with my mom, so I'm missing that more than anything. The lockdown in place in Sandwell means I can't even visit.

I like the short walk round the corner from Lones Road onto Halfords lane where we join the throng of supporters. I always have a chat with the programme seller outside the school. Getting to my seat about 15 mins before kick off, chatting with the people near me. Standing and applauding as the team comes out . Singing along to The Liquidator. I always wait until the whistle is blown to start the game before I sit down.

Singing when we score, singing when we need a boost.

Getting back to my moms in time to catch the last dregs of final score and what they say about the match.

Away games: I miss the pre match banter and singing on the concourse, standing and singing all game, TLMS when we score and trying not to look too smug when we've won and I'm walking back to my car!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 11:21:24 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 11:37:30 AM »
I go to games with my mom, so I'm missing that more than anything. The lockdown in place in Sandwell means I can't even visit.

I like the short walk round the corner from Lones Road onto Halfords lane where we join the throng of supporters. I always have a chat with the programme seller outside the school. Getting to my seat about 15 mins before kick off, chatting with the people near me. Standing and applauding as the team comes out . Singing along to The Liquidator. I always wait until the whistle is blown to start the game before I sit down.

Singing when we score, singing when we need a boost.

Getting back to my moms in time to catch the last dregs of final score and what they say about the match.

Away games: I miss the pre match banter and singing on the concourse, standing and singing all game, TLMS when we score and trying not to look too smug when we've won and I'm walking back to my car!

Chatting to my parents, no doubt!

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 12:44:01 PM »
I have to say I am surprised how much I have missed going to the Hawthorns on match days.  I miss a couple of pre match pints and a chicken tikka in The Vine, the walk to the ground.  On occasion (I am trying to lose weight) a bag of scratchings from the man on the Brummie Road.  The crowds on the way to the ground.  The lovely people around me in the East Stand.  Singing The Lords My Shepherd when we score.  Watching baggie bird having his picture taken with the kids.  The away supporters incredulity at boiler man.  The walk back to the car when we have won and the long journey back to Norfolk listening to WM as far as we can.

i lose WM at Rothwell / Kettering, sometimes its a blessing,  ;D
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 12:54:25 PM »
I just miss the whole experience. I still take my 88 years old father who moans  like hell regardless of what happens yet still loves to go! The unrivalled thrill of being there when we play well and win. As for away games, to which I venture around 4 or 5 times per season, the camaraderie pre match and the just indescribable feeling of when things go well, for example at St Andrews last season. It upsets me to write really.....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:45:28 PM by KN22 »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »
I miss walking to the Shrine, the rush of excitement when we close in on goal and the jubilation when we score. Listening to games on the radio suggests I haven't missed out on too much of the latter so far this season.

However, I really miss the social side. And if we do get back to games this season there's no way that'll be anywhere near as good as it was due to restrictions. So I'll still miss it even if attendance is allowed.

What I don't miss are defensive and goalkeeping howlers. And I especially don't miss the pungent waft of beer/curry based farts, boiler man or the often brainless whitterings and moans of others. Or the drum.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 02:03:28 PM »
I don't miss the home games - and nor do I miss that ******* drum.

If anything, I'd probably miss the pre and post match pints in the Sportsman.

I miss the away games more so - getting up at 6.00 when its still pitch black to get the first train because its cheap as chips. Opening a few cans of flat Belgian lager brought from New Street station because I had drank my Stella's the night before. Spending the day drinking in another town or city and having a laugh with the pals. Moaning about the price of beers on the concourse. The quickened pace walk to try and find a chippy or burger king so I can eat three or four chips before throwing the rest away, before catching the last train home. Stumbling across New Street station half cut.

I probably don't miss the hangover the following morning - nor would I remember anything about the game - thankfully.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 03:23:55 PM »
Chatting to my parents, no doubt!

yeah, usually about you! :o

lovely couple though to be honest!

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 03:31:55 PM »
i lose WM at Rothwell / Kettering, sometimes its a blessing,  ;D

Yep the marker for me is the junction with the A1/A14.  I like listening to WM but find it infuriating at the same time.  Franksy always seems to have it in for us.  That being said if you speak to Villa and Wolves fans they say the same.  It was a golden listen after we thrashed wolves 1-5.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »
The atmosphere. There's nothing better than walking out of the steps into the stand and waiting 5 minutes for the game to start as the stadium gets busier.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 06:43:28 PM »
5 pints of Mild , Indian in the Sportman and a delayed train home ;D

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 07:39:31 PM »
Weeeeeeve got kanuuuuuuuuuuuu
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 07:54:27 PM »
Weeeeeeve got kanuuuuuuuuuuuu

Christ, and it was such a cathartic thread...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 08:08:05 PM »
Christ, and it was such a cathartic thread...
He has limitations, but in the champ he was ok, and always have 100%....
I miss the singing .....I miss the half times watching the fans getting it all out of their system....I think our fans are the best bar non...
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 10:59:33 PM »
I miss the anticipation felt while going to the match, usually now being taken by my son. I really enjoy the pre match beer and curry along with the chat to friends in that pub. I miss the feeling of going into the ground, up the steps and the first view of the pitch. I especially miss the excitement we get when we score!

The ride home is particularly good when we have won, although I have usually gone to sleep before we get to Coventry, not waking up until we’re somewhere along the A14!

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 09:28:46 AM »
Its all the small things before and after the game that I miss. Going to the Vine, getting snacks from the BP garage because the chocolate in the ground is too expensive. Having a bovril in the winter, chatting to the regulars around us before KO about the tactics  and starting 11. As much as away days are more fun, there's something about the routine and familiarity of home games that now I miss deeply.

Since moving away from the Midlands to London I've used the distance as an excuse to not go to as many games and since lockdown I've felt almost disasspointed in myself that I didnt make the most of it in recent years. My dad took me every home game from 2000 up until 2015 and now he's in a position where he is too ill to go but still listens on from home. Now that I'm in a sort of similar position where I can go to the matches its left a hole. When the world is back to normal I cant wait to get back down the Hawthorns on the regular....

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 09:52:26 AM »
The walk up the steps into the stand is great and seeing the shrine opening up in front of you is magical. I like to get in early and watch the stands fill, On odd occasions when I have arrived late (for me) and the stands are already full the experience loses something for me personally.

In the spring / summer its glorious to be in a baggies shirt basking and relaxing in the warmth, in the winter under the floodlights with the pitch glistening the place takes on a different persona but its still beautiful, I do think of the Hawthorns as a beautiful ground, not a functional bowl or un-cared for relic, it would be interesting to hear what opposition fans think of it.

I cant think how many times I have enjoyed this pleasure over the years, but as I type this the hairs on the back of my neck are tingling and I do want to get back.

Its also true that I do get a similar feeling at some away games but far, far less intense.

Leaving the ground is a strange one, from the muted scowls after a poor performance to the sheer euphoria after trouncing some poor X!@£'s from witton, its all part of the experience
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 10:16:39 AM »
Apart from the usual I always enjoy grabbing a burger (or two) before the game in the car park.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 12:01:52 PM »
minibus trips from devon, a few boozers along the way
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 12:05:15 PM »
Making a weekend of it, atmosphere.
Baggie in Southampton

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 12:39:25 PM »
Feeling a part of it.

We can talk on here, on Twitter, have our meltdowns when the team selection is announced etc. But it's not the same as being in the ground with everybody, being a part of the Albion.