Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 361107 times)

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1375 on: February 11, 2019, 04:53:11 PM »
Its a nice problem to have but for me Gayle everytime, he's a natural poacher and too good for the big lumps of CH's in the chumpionship
I think Jay is good on the ball generally and other teams are aware of this, so having him on the pitch keeps a player and half of their defence occupied, if that makes sense.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1376 on: February 11, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
I think Jay is good on the ball generally and other teams are aware of this, so having him on the pitch keeps a player and half of their defence occupied, if that makes sense.

Looks like DM agrees with you.  As I say a problem most managers in this league would love to have.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1377 on: February 11, 2019, 04:55:47 PM »
The diffence for me is Gayle cant hold the ball up but by and large Jay can, to score we need the ball held in the final third of the pitch before we score tap ins.

I agree with you and would add that, in my opinion, JRod can play with his back to the goal and bring other players into game while doing so
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1378 on: February 11, 2019, 05:18:21 PM »
The diffence for me is Gayle cant hold the ball up but by and large Jay can, to score we need the ball held in the final third of the pitch before we score tap ins.

I agree that isn't exactly Gayle's strength but I really don't think JRod is great at it.  At times his first touch is awful and he often loses possession.  He's not HRK bad but remember we're playing JRod there at the expense of a better goal scorer.

I mean, put it this way, do you drop Gayle from the starting line up if Murphy\Phillips\Montero are going to make up the two wide players? 

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1379 on: February 11, 2019, 05:19:14 PM »
I agree Baggie79.

We tend to play 3 forwards with JRod the link man in the middle, i dont think that suits Gayle at all.

Gayle played in a pair at Newcastle alongside Murphy / Mitrovic / Perez when they won the championship, think he did the same in his more successful times at Palace, when he has played down the middle he has had somebody alongside him.

I think it works well how we do it now, Gayle gives us some pace out wide when he has it but if the ball goes down the middle or out to the opposite side to where he is playing (our forwards inter change a lot) then his first instinct is to get in the box anyway, he doesnt hog the touchline, he is usually in and around the box anyway.

I dont think the role Jrod plays now is his natural role and nor would i say he is great at it but he is the best we have and he does a decent job and you cant fault his goalscoring record.

A Rondon type would be ideal in that role (i hope Newcastle go down and he comes back would love to see what he would be like in an attacking team) and if we got somebody like that i would try Jrod playing a similar job to Gayle but on the opposite side.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:21:09 PM by Albion79 »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1380 on: February 11, 2019, 05:34:24 PM »
I agree Baggie79.

We tend to play 3 forwards with JRod the link man in the middle, i dont think that suits Gayle at all.

Gayle played in a pair at Newcastle alongside Murphy / Mitrovic / Perez when they won the championship, think he did the same in his more successful times at Palace, when he has played down the middle he has had somebody alongside him.

I think it works well how we do it now, Gayle gives us some pace out wide when he has it but if the ball goes down the middle or out to the opposite side to where he is playing (our forwards inter change a lot) then his first instinct is to get in the box anyway, he doesnt hog the touchline, he is usually in and around the box anyway.

I dont think the role Jrod plays now is his natural role and nor would i say he is great at it but he is the best we have and he does a decent job and you cant fault his goalscoring record.

A Rondon type would be ideal in that role (i hope Newcastle go down and he comes back would love to see what he would be like in an attacking team) and if we got somebody like that i would try Jrod playing a similar job to Gayle but on the opposite side.

Jacob Murphy?

Thought he was playing for Norwich when Newcastle won promotion?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1381 on: February 11, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »
Jacob Murphy?

Thought he was playing for Norwich when Newcastle won promotion?

Think he means Daryl Murphy

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1382 on: February 11, 2019, 05:38:45 PM »
Think he means Daryl Murphy

Aah fair play, cheers.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1383 on: February 11, 2019, 06:16:29 PM »
I agree Baggie79.

Not if it meant sending Gayle back to Newcastle. Gayle has far more anticipation in the box than Rondon will ever have.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1384 on: February 11, 2019, 06:31:40 PM »
Yeah definitely, i would want to keep Gayle as well as having Rondon back (not that i think we will but we need a Rondon type for that central role i think if we went up)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1385 on: February 19, 2019, 10:16:01 PM »
not wanting to look over critical but I just can't see anything above an average player in him.
serious question but can anyone recall him heading the ball?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1386 on: February 19, 2019, 10:18:17 PM »
Poor tonight. Missed two good chances first half, anonymous in an attacking sense second half. Gave the ball away that led to their penalty as well. On the plus side he ran around a lot as usual and worked hard. Mixed bag from him which is often the way.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1387 on: February 19, 2019, 10:58:20 PM »
17 goals and several assists. If he’s average I just wish he was good.

Not at his best tonight I agree but, in my view, is having an excellent season and long may it continue.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1388 on: February 19, 2019, 11:01:59 PM »
He's vital for us.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1389 on: February 19, 2019, 11:25:29 PM »
17 goals and several assists. If he’s average I just wish he was good.

Not at his best tonight I agree but, in my view, is having an excellent season and long may it continue.

Mixed bag for me. Plenty of goals and assists but he has the luxury of playing in the middle of the front three in an attack minded team that creates lots of chances. He's also on penalty duty and we have had a lot of pens thanks to Gayle. Notice how J-Rod hasn't won a single penalty for the team and Gayle has won loads? From open play his output has been decent but no more than that. He's missed a lot of chances. Would rather swap him and Gayle around, and play our most clinical striker in the middle.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1390 on: February 20, 2019, 12:56:45 AM »
Played better when he went out on the left but I'd just wish his first touch was up to scratch.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1391 on: February 20, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
J-Rod has his anonymous games and frustrates at times BUT he hurts the opposition and he constantly takes up intelligent positions which others wouldn't that contribute to the overall team performance. Players like that are gold dust. No good looking great but not hurting teams. That's what you need from forwards - hurting teams. 17 goals says JRod does that, leave him alone.

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1392 on: February 20, 2019, 12:13:32 PM »
Atomic --- totally agree with you. We would be worse off without him. How many on here raved about Rondon and the work he did - with no goal count
I accept we are playing a different style against a different level of opposition etc but that is no JRod's fault. He is doing all, if not more than is asked of him and I for one am pleased he's here.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1393 on: February 20, 2019, 12:31:43 PM »
Think he gets a fair bit of unwarranted stick in my opinion.

17 goals is not to be sniffed at in this league (I don't care how many of those are penalties either).

His workrate is second to none, never stops running, doesn't shy away. He's also our only outfield player to start every game, considering how hectic the championship fixture list is, that's an incredible stat (especially when you factor in how much ground per game he covers).

In our current formation, he drops deep into the hole which allows our wingers to press forward into the space, that's the main reason I think he's preferred down the middle as opposed to Gayle. His movement opens up space for Dwight and that's shown in the fact Gayle's goal per minute ratio is better from out wide than it is up top.

I would put a large sum of money on at come end of the season he is amongst the names being mentioned for player of the season for us.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1394 on: February 20, 2019, 12:43:28 PM »
Think he gets a fair bit of unwarranted stick in my opinion.

17 goals is not to be sniffed at in this league (I don't care how many of those are penalties either).

His workrate is second to none, never stops running, doesn't shy away. He's also our only outfield player to start every game, considering how hectic the championship fixture list is, that's an incredible stat (especially when you factor in how much ground per game he covers).

In our current formation, he drops deep into the hole which allows our wingers to press forward into the space, that's the main reason I think he's preferred down the middle as opposed to Gayle. His movement opens up space for Dwight and that's shown in the fact Gayle's goal per minute ratio is better from out wide than it is up top.

I would put a large sum of money on at come end of the season he is amongst the names being mentioned for player of the season for us.

That is an excellent post and one that I fully endorse. I am constantly amazed at the level of stick that he gets on here. Never hides, works hard, scores goals etc. A question was asked about can we recall him heading the ball.... well at least 2 goals spring to mind (Preston away and Wigan on Boxing Day from memory)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1395 on: February 20, 2019, 12:43:36 PM »
He is frustrating because he could be so much better if he just used his brain a bit more.
He tends to react to play rather than anticipating it and this often means he is half a yard short of where he should be. Gayle is a master of anticipating balls into the box and, even though 9 times out of 10 they don't go where they should, he just keeps putting himself in there until he gets his chance. Rodriguez, on the other hand, seems to react to the ball into the box and try to get on the end of it rather than put himself where it should go.
This is why Gayle will almost always outscore him from open play.
If you look at Murphy's goal last night, Murphy had a lot of work to do, and held onto the ball for quite a while, before pulling the trigger yet JRod was not even in shot until it was in the back of the net. Gayle would have been busting a gut just on the off chance of a rebound.
What Rodriguez is though is a nuisance. He puts himself about and never shies away from being involved, it's just his poor anticipation that keeps him on the periphery at times. Can't half take a penalty mind, which is a massive skill in itself. Norwich missed something like 5 from 6.

I wish he'd chop that bun off though, he's constantly fiddling with it and it drives me crackers!

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1396 on: February 20, 2019, 12:59:49 PM »
Gayle and Jrod are very different type of strikers which is what you want.

Gayle is more of a natural goalscorer with pace to burn, Jrod is more likely to be involved in the build up play and will still weigh in with a good return goals wise.

Ideally you would want them as 2 upfront in a partnership but with how we setup and the personnel we have, i think how we play also works.

Jrod can be frustrating but again in the role he is playing i dont think he is a natural and it shows at times but we would be a lot worse team without him and 17 goals with just under a third of the season is impressive.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1397 on: February 20, 2019, 01:05:26 PM »
J-Rod has been brilliant this year for us

He doesnt hide, he works hard and has scored a ton of goals, we should be praising him
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1398 on: February 23, 2019, 08:00:59 PM »
Can someone have a word with him and let him know it's ok to anticipate the where the ball will go.  He's forever caught on his heels and then does a half hearted attempt to be where he should be. 

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1399 on: February 23, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »
Can someone have a word with him and let him know it's ok to anticipate the where the ball will go.  He's forever caught on his heels and then does a half hearted attempt to be where he should be.
like the one where he pointed to Montero where he wanted the ball, and didn't anticipate the pass he called for.