Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 773813 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #875 on: March 30, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »
I expect the usual outcome against Italy. We get beat
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #876 on: March 30, 2015, 10:12:06 AM »
this England team can give anyone a game

If we beat Italy convincingly, I might be inclined to accept that, but seriously, my opinion is that our defence is abject, and will be exposed by a top team !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #877 on: March 30, 2015, 10:26:34 AM »
this England team can give anyone a game

If we beat Italy convincingly, I might be inclined to accept that, but seriously, my opinion is that our defence is abject, and will be exposed by a top team !

I have been saying the same for a while, we are centre back short. I rate Cahill he tends to be solid, I like the look of Clyne being the RB, Baines at times can be caught out.

Still think this England team would be a lot better had Terry still been in and around the squad.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #878 on: March 30, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
Cahill hasn't been himself this season, according to a lot of Chelsea fans. But then I don't think we have too many players who legitimately deserve a go there.

I'd like to see more of Stones and Chambers but it appears the latter is playing in the U21s. Not sure about Stones.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #879 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:42 PM »
its a terrible indictment of the current squad that players like Jagielka and Smalling are on the periphery.
Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #880 on: March 30, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »
its a terrible indictment of the current squad that players like Jagielka and Smalling are on the periphery.

Are you saying they should or shouldn't be involved?

I really don't rate Smalling at this point in time. He's got years ahead of him, but personally I'm not a fan.

Jagielka is fine, but that's all he is. Fine. Nothing special.

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #881 on: March 30, 2015, 12:25:13 PM »
Not saying they should or shouldn't,

in response to someone saying we could give anyone a game, I'm just saying that IMO we need better defenders before we could give the top countries a true test
Albion Family !!!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #882 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:52 PM »
Not saying they should or shouldn't,

in response to someone saying we could give anyone a game, I'm just saying that IMO we need better defenders before we could give the top countries a true test

I agree mate, the best way to look at it is..

If we truely believe we can go all the way in a tournament, you have to beat the best teams. When you look at the line up Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Holland etc how many of our back 4 would demand a start in their first 11?

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #883 on: March 30, 2015, 12:57:38 PM »
I agree mate, the best way to look at it is..

If we truely believe we can go all the way in a tournament, you have to beat the best teams. When you look at the line up Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Holland etc how many of our back 4 would demand a start in their first 11?

Holland are a really good example of why England should do a lot better really, their team at the world cup was nothing special but a well organised team, playing to a suitable system with a good manager is extremely difficult to beat and they were penalties from a world cup final playing the likes of Ron Vlaar! Their only genuine world class player was Robben. The defence in particularly severely lacked quality.

Of course they also show how the opposite of those things can lead to a struggle because they're struggling to get to Euro 2016 even with the expanded 24 teams that make failure almost impossible.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #884 on: March 30, 2015, 01:01:44 PM »
Holland are a really good example of why England should do a lot better really, their team at the world cup was nothing special but a well organised team, playing to a suitable system with a good manager is extremely difficult to beat and they were penalties from a world cup final playing the likes of Ron Vlaar! Their only genuine world class player was Robben. The defence in particularly severely lacked quality.

Of course they also show how the opposite of those things can lead to a struggle because they're struggling to get to Euro 2016 even with the expanded 24 teams that make failure almost impossible.

Think you're being harsh on the Netherlands! Sneijder, Van Persie, Blind...all 'world class' players.

He/him

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #885 on: March 30, 2015, 01:11:53 PM »
Think you're being harsh on the Netherlands! Sneijder, Van Persie, Blind...all 'world class' players.

Sneijder hasn't been world class in a long time, there's a reason he was sold for 7.5m Euro's a couple of years back. Van Persie's in decline, he certainly has world class moments but Man U fans weren't too happy with him a lot of the time last season. Blind is only world class if you have an extremely low bar for such a level.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #886 on: March 30, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
Sneijder hasn't been world class in a long time, there's a reason he was sold for 7.5m Euro's a couple of years back. Van Persie's in decline, he certainly has world class moments but Man U fans weren't too happy with him a lot of the time last season. Blind is only world class if you have an extremely low bar for such a level.

I would agree with your summary of those players to be honest.

I wouldnt call Blind world class, hes a good player but not world class. He was brought in at United to be that anchor man in the middle, and hes been replaced by Carrick, and moved to left wing back.

The same would be said of the England team, Rooney and possibly Hart excluded, we dont really have many 'world class' players. We have good players but not world class.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #887 on: March 30, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »
Seven straight wins for the England team, shows how well Hodgson is doing.
the regime don't like it man

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #888 on: March 30, 2015, 10:09:42 PM »
Great win for the England U21 team as they beat Germany 3-2. Things are looking good for the future of the national team. I really think England can win some major trophies in the next few years.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #889 on: March 30, 2015, 10:15:05 PM »
i wouldn't call Rooney or Hart world class.

Barcelona have 3 forwards I would rate higher than Rooney for starters
Hart is too erratic to be world class, he was ousted by the guy who is sunderlands keeper not so long ago.
Albion Family !!!

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #890 on: March 31, 2015, 08:39:04 AM »
Seven straight wins for the England team, shows how well Hodgson is doing.

Yeah, against Norway, Switzerland, San Marino, Estonia, Slovenia, Scotland and Lithuania. Teams we should expect to beat.

We face anybody of quality and we lose: Uruguay, Italy, Germany and Chile over the past couple of years.
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #891 on: March 31, 2015, 09:10:41 AM »
Great win for the England U21 team as they beat Germany 3-2. Things are looking good for the future of the national team. I really think England can win some major trophies in the next few years.

Not so sure about the winning the trophy bit, but last night was a good win, over a Germany team which had some big name players in it ( Can, Ter Stegen etc)

I like the look of the Under 21 team, it has some players with good technical ability, i.e Ward Prowse, Hughes.

As a country we just need to make sure the progression of the Under 21 lads continues an they get game time in the Premier league consistantly.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #892 on: March 31, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
i wouldn't call Rooney or Hart world class.

Barcelona have 3 forwards I would rate higher than Rooney for starters
Hart is too erratic to be world class, he was ousted by the guy who is sunderlands keeper not so long ago.

Are you telling me that no great keeper goes through a sticky patch of form? Even Courtois with Chelsea looked shaky for a stage. Van der sar at United struggled midway through his spell there. Khan, who is an absolute legend for Munich and the German nation team, has gone through a similar stage in his career.

Pantilimon is an average goalkeeper at Premier league level but however good Hart's understudy was (he could have been Brad Jones level), he was always going to come into the team at that time.

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #893 on: March 31, 2015, 08:20:51 PM »
Same old England put an half decent team in front of them and we look very ordinary indeed

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #894 on: March 31, 2015, 08:36:35 PM »
Both fullbacks poor , how many times has cline given the ball away, smalling should never in a million years be anywhere near that squad, Jones same could be said. Only Jagelka and Kane take any credit so far. Utter rubbish

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #895 on: March 31, 2015, 08:39:34 PM »
Hodgson's tactics to blame as much as anything. The team has clearly been told to go direct, get Walcott running behind them. Awful tactics.

I like him and he can be an effective manager but with some people who can actually be comfortable on the ball coming through, it'll be a farce if he's given an extension on his contract. Even moreso if its before the Euro's. 3 tournaments is enough for any manager I think.

I'm all for friendly experimentation but its kind of obvious things like Jones in midfield won't work. People like  Delph are not good enough on the ball to be playing international football either, after the Euro's, the likes of Will Hughes or Ward-Prowse should be in there instead.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #896 on: March 31, 2015, 08:47:58 PM »
Probably a good job Italy are not fielding a full strength side. Jones and Delph in midfield :o oh dear me.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #897 on: March 31, 2015, 09:23:42 PM »
1-1, great goal by Andros Townsend. Get in.   8)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #898 on: March 31, 2015, 09:31:01 PM »
not a bad game to be fair, had our chances to win it
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #899 on: March 31, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »
England had enough good chances to win the game. Looking good going forward.