Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 778949 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #675 on: September 08, 2014, 10:19:39 PM »
Cahill MOTM for me
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #676 on: September 08, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
Good performance. Sterling MOTM, thought Delph also did well.

Lucky not to be sent off within 24 minutes but improved after that.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #677 on: September 09, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »
Much Better, san marino next
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #678 on: September 09, 2014, 08:35:59 AM »
A pretty decent performance, from everyone last night, scored too good goals, thought we looked relatively solid. I thought the Swiss were very average last night I was expecting them to take the game to us more.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #679 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »
Actually enjoyed watching them last night for the first time in a good long while. Sterling was the standout for me, great to see Welbeck get a couple of goals and perform well after the stick he gets and it was just a better team performance.

Still plenty to work on no doubt about it but its just a glimmer of hope there after last night.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #680 on: September 09, 2014, 09:29:54 AM »
once Delph settled down he looked pretty good too, got  a great engine

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #681 on: September 09, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »
England are always similar in qualifiers and friendlies but useless when it really matters. Switzerland aren't anything special, at the world cup they were awful when they got thumped 5-2 by France and they parked the bus against Argentina.

Fabian Delph's "engine" will mean absolutely nothing when it really matters, his lack of match intelligence and footballing technique will show him up for the distinctly average footballer he is.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #682 on: September 09, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »
Need to look past the Villa link, he was decent after a shakey start. He looked like a school kid getting his first game, full of energy and flying into tackles. Could have easily been sent off. After that he settled and played well.

Like others have said, actually enjoyed last nights game, first time for a while.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #683 on: September 09, 2014, 11:16:31 AM »
Need to look past the Villa link, he was decent after a shakey start. He looked like a school kid getting his first game, full of energy and flying into tackles. Could have easily been sent off. After that he settled and played well.

Like others have said, actually enjoyed last nights game, first time for a while.

It's nothing to do with the Villa link. Delph isn't good enough and when it comes to top games against top teams he'll look the level he is. Same as Welbeck and Jones and others.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #684 on: September 09, 2014, 11:34:57 AM »
Enjoyed the 2nd half but wasnt too impressed with the 1st. Thought we looked fairly solid in all though.

Delph played well, Sterling did too and Welbeck was great with 2 good team goals to boot.

Defence held well, liked the look of Stones

As others have said first time ive enjoyed watching England in a long time

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #685 on: September 09, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »

It's nothing to do with the Villa link. Delph isn't good enough and when it comes to top games against top teams he'll look the level he is. Same as Welbeck and Jones and others.

That wasn't directed at you. Just in general, some may write him off as he plays for Villa. He deserved credit for last night, you can only play whats infront of you. Likewise Welbeck, he had a very good game, plenty of effort and ran the channels well. Took his goals well even if the first was a bit lucky off the shin.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #686 on: September 09, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »
I think Delph is the perfect exemplar of englands fundamental issue,
ie, we do not have the quality of player to compete with the big boys, patriotism , energy, grit will only get us so far.
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #687 on: September 09, 2014, 12:25:58 PM »
Jones. never an international

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #688 on: September 09, 2014, 02:46:51 PM »
Fantastic win against a tough Switzerland side who are 9th in the rankings. I enjoyed the football we played and Sterling is a joy to watch when he's running with the ball.
the regime don't like it man

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #689 on: September 09, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
Next England Manager.Tony Pulis i hear :o

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
Fabian Delph's "engine" will mean absolutely nothing when it really matters, his lack of match intelligence and footballing technique will show him up for the distinctly average footballer he is.

Agreed. Unfortunately you can replace Delph's name with many of the English players currently playing in the Premier League right now.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #691 on: September 09, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Delph works well in that formation and should keep his place, played smartly that could take down good teams.

People generally over estimate how good a lot of the big teams are, its a big failing of the England team in how much undue respect we tend to show to teams. Look at how we played Italy, showed so much respect to Pirlo who really did not deserve it which showed when he had Costa Rican and Uruguayan midfielders swarming all over him the next two games and was very poor. England don't currently have the players to stand toe to toe with the very best, but the world cup showed you really don't need that. Delph is not a top player but neither were most the US, Chilean or Costa Rican players who scared the life out of better teams than England.

England's strength should be we have some potentially world class counter attacking talents, our midfield isn't going to destroy or control teams but what they can do is bloody their nose, people like Delph are perfect for that. Look at the Chile team that played against Spain, on paper the Spanish midfield beat them in every conceivable way but the sheer energy of their team forced them into mistakes and didn't let them into the game.

This England squad isn't going to win Euro 2016 but with clever tactics (not trying to out pass better teams, not standing off waiting for them to cut through you and instead get in their face...) we should be a lot more of a threat than we looked at the world cup. Unfortunately that's not really Hodgson's style but hopefully he too learned a lot of lessons from how Chile and Costa Rica took down superior sides.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:29:05 PM by Dan »

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #692 on: September 10, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »
our friendly with Scotland in November apparently cause for concern

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #693 on: September 10, 2014, 11:12:29 AM »

Im not suprised, they are looking a half decent team at the min. But they will tail off eventually they always do, not enough consistency in the team

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #694 on: September 10, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »
Im not suprised, they are looking a half decent team at the min. But they will tail off eventually they always do, not enough consistency in the team

More so politically according to listening to the radio this morning
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:20:05 AM by WBAinDEVON »

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #695 on: September 10, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »
What a load of tosh. Political problems should not come into the football field.

If they set that precedent then they can do it to other nations where we have "issues"..

Its ridiculous
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:00:46 PM by tommcneill »

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #696 on: September 10, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »
Move the fixture to Andorra. Then we'd see some rubber crumb filling the air. ;D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

DevonBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #697 on: October 02, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »
Hodgson has gone down in my estimation by saying this.

Hodgson: 'Lambert is in the squad on merit. He impressed me somewhat last season, and moreso after his summer move to Liverpool. He was good during the world cup, and although he hasn't played as much so far this season, he's still been impressive. His place wasn't in doubt in my mind. I know there has been calls for Berahino to replace him, and he has been playing and scoring for my other old team West Brom. But people don't understand the gravitas of playing for Liverpool. Lambert playing infrequently for Liverpool is still a step up than playing and scoring for West Brom in my mind.'

Thats going to do Berahinos confidence a whole load of good, says a lot about england selections in general
Boing Boing!
Bye Bye Wo1ve5s

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #698 on: October 02, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
Lambert playing infrequently for Liverpool is still a step up than playing and scoring for West Brom in my mind.'

Really??  Thats not a clever thing to be saying Roy!

That statement should be hanging on the wall in our changing room saturday I hope.
Albion Family !!!

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #699 on: October 02, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »
Hodgson has gone down in my estimation by saying this.

Hodgson: 'Lambert is in the squad on merit. He impressed me somewhat last season, and moreso after his summer move to Liverpool. He was good during the world cup, and although he hasn't played as much so far this season, he's still been impressive. His place wasn't in doubt in my mind. I know there has been calls for Berahino to replace him, and he has been playing and scoring for my other old team West Brom. But people don't understand the gravitas of playing for Liverpool. Lambert playing infrequently for Liverpool is still a step up than playing and scoring for West Brom in my mind.'

Thats going to do Berahinos confidence a whole load of good, says a lot about england selections in general
So much for always picking the best player at that time for the job. Berahino is streets ahead of where Lambert is THIS SEASON, tghis statement is an absolute damning enditement of the selection process. But lets be honest, we always new the score with England anyway, just ask Bomber and Derek Statham, Ray Barlow, Joe Kennedy, the list goes on
He's a lad from the Wrenna