Author Topic: Looking back  (Read 3072 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Looking back
« on: March 24, 2018, 01:36:53 PM »
Seven games to go but we are 100% relegated so it's time to look back at what a disaster this season has been and how our PL decade has unravelled. The future is uncertain and difficult. I don't see the current squad bouncing back, they are more likely to do a Sunderland and a lot of them will have no interest in playing football in the championship.

I've been looking back over my posts from last summer to see how things have worked out against what I thought at the time. My comments below about Gibbs, Burke, Greg, Rondon, Barry, lack of pace, complacency with injuries and the medical department have all proved to be spot on. Which is incredibly frustrating as the writing was on the wall. Our demise has been entirely predictable.

July 22: "Glad were not signing Gibbs. Very average player on his way down. Not tall, strong, or decent in the air. "

August 1st: "Last year we had the best record in the league for player availability which it seems had led to complacency. The board and medical department have been congratulating themselves but luck must surely be a very important factor. One unlucky season with a few serious injuries to key players would cripple our very small squad and we cannot expect the likes of Mcauley to last forever.

The team is stale, the manager is professional but dull and the board have no ambition to incentivise fans to grow the fan base. We have no decedent strikers, aren't scoring any goals from open play and just lost to Bristol Rovers (albeit friendly). Throw in the awful finish to last season and it's very difficult to be positive in the slightest"

August 5th: "Can someone with more gazumption than me remind me how many goals we have scored this pre-season and how many from open play? I recall a Dawson header against Palace from a corner I think and Robson-Kanu at Port Vale. Have we scored twice in single game?  What's worrying for me is we have been so pathetic for so long that these things are now considered normal."

August 14th: "I work in Liverpool and the Everton fans I know laughed and apologised when the Barry link first emerged."

August 24th on Burke: "He started 10 games for Forest and just 5 for RB Leipzig last season - how on earth do 15 starts in two years constitute two full seasons? We're signing potential. I've not seen much of him, looking at YouTube videos he seems be very direct but a bit chaotic in his decision making and final pass or shot. Hopefully he's a replacement for McClean who gives his maximum but lacks ability."

August 30th: "As fantastic as it is to be linked with and signing defenders and defensive midfielders is there any chance of signing a striker with pace and a decent goal to game ratio? Or have we given up on the pretence of trying to score from open play?"

August 30th on Greg: "Judging by the meltdown on this thread I'd presumed we'd signed Messi. Good signing on loan for a year and hope he settles in quick and makes the impact hoped for but I can't get anywhere near as excited as some of the posters on here with another defensive midfielder. Good luck Krychowiak."

August 30th on what we needed: "Striker with lots of pace - we have lots of average paced players 27-30 but not an out and out quick striker which we have been missing for years. Fosteri at Wednesday wouldn't be the worst option".

September 8th: "Rondon is an awful footballer who can't control the ball, link the play or shoot. On the plus side he works hard and is good at heading crosses. He's just a very poor striker who isn't a goalscorer. From the BBC: "Rondon was once again poor with no efforts and a 41.2% passing accuracy, which is not ideal if your role is to bring others into play."

I have zero confidence that the club will be in state to mount a concerted promotion push next season. The club is in turmoil with uncertainty at all levels.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Looking back
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »
What fun...

Baggie82:
24/4/11.
Agree 100% with this thread. Cox reminds me of a young SKP; I really rate him as he is a clever footballer, he knows how to find space and when to run and he's very good technically, with a nice touch and vision; add into that he's a brilliant finisher. I would give him a serious run in the team between now and the end of the season - the potential is massive.

21/8/11.
Our fans do know better, a lot better. Dorrans is ten times the player that Morrison will ever be. Morrison is powder puff in defence and half decent on the ball. Dorrans is brilliant on the ball and a star in the making. The sooner he is in the team the better.

4/2/12.
I'm sick to death of this negative crab nonsense at home and I know who has to take all the responsibility - Roy. He's taken a team with an attacking midfield playing progressively in a 4-5-1 with Odemwingie banging them in left, right and centre and over time nutured a conservative, dull and predictable 4-4-2 by taking the pace and movement out of the team and killing the full backs and wingers. It's dire to watch and does not suit the players. If he leaves in summer then I won't be shedding any tears.Things that used to happen that no longer happen:1) Our full backs used to play forward and run on behind the opposition.2) Our midfielders used to run past our forwards.3) Our main striker was allowed to play on the shoulder and supported in attack.Now it's all about the shape of our team when out of possession which is basically the midfield tight to the back four and the other two running around. It's predictable and old school. Swansea today pushed their full backs on and had a striker playing in the hole that had the freedom of the pitch to dictate the play. We should have matched them but Roy is an idiot. His tactics work away but self evidently are not working at home - so WHY is he insisting on playing the same way every home game?

20/6/14.
Thorne has the potential to be as good as Carrick if not better as arguably he can score a few more. We need to keep him and try to give him a role in the team which isn't easy as we have a lot of good central midfielders.

9/9/17.
HRK can't come back soon enough.

20/11/17.
I would have no issue with Alan Pardew. He had a very decent record at Charlton, West Ham, Southampton, Newcastle & Palace. Not sure why Ronald Koeman is leading the poll given the awful job he's just done at Everton, appeared completely clueless. He also has had his heart set on managing Barcelona one day, not sure how a job at the Hawthorns works for anyone.

19/12/17.
GMAC is actually surprisingly quick.

26/12/17.
Wasn't GMAC our top scorer last season?

27/12/17.
Jesus this is hard work. The self evident point is that Rondon is useless and his failure to convert guilt edged chances is taking us down to the championship. Hence we need to replace him asap. {in another post you said you were a solicitor...}  ;D

12/2/18.
Not his team. Remind me which genius manager signs Gibbs and Barry? Or thought your best mate Rondon would score the goals? We don’t need a new manager we need devine intervention to turn water into wine. In reality we’re relegated and need to start planning for next season. If Pardew wants to manage in the championship then I’d be happy to keep him and trust him to rebuild the squad in the summer.

12/2/18.
Huddersfield is arguably our toughest game in the next six. Their work rate and organisation is exceptional. They also have a fair amount of pace and guile upfront and out wide. Battered Bournemouth and gave Utd a tough game the week earlier. Mounie clinical finisher. We can beat them but start the game short of confidence and ideas. {8 goals this season - constant diatribe from poster about how poor Rondon is (8 goals)}

13/2/18.
The modern football fan has no patience. Our strike force of Rondon, J-Rod and Kanu are incapable of scoring goals, doesn't matter if Pardew is in charge or Alex Ferguson. Best we can hope for is that the players start fighting for each other and scrap at least 3 wins in the next 6 games. Sacking the manager and the back room team again just before we prepare for the biggest 6 game of the season would be Grade A stupid.

16/2/18.
Glad to see your not part of the groupthink meltdown that is ocurring on here. All this talk of they should never play the club again or they don't care etc is completely over the top. Footballers had a night had and got involved in some mischief. No harm done and resolved amicable. Big deal. Letting off some steam is probably a good thing, lots of pressure on them to get some results. On the plus side I can reassure you all that Rondon wasn't driving, else there was no chance of the taxi finding the target back to the hotel.

Correct, children don't go out drinking and having a lark until 6am with their mates. At least the team bonding has gone well. The overreaction on here by the fun police is hysterical.

Just catching up with the forum meltdown, posters outdoing each other to express their shock, outrage and disgust. All a storm in a team cup if you ask me. Can't abide people who take life too seriously or lack a sense of humour. The overreaction on here to a trivial event is hysterical.

To be fair I don’t think the league position / results should have a bearing on the taxi story. One night out to let off some steam could be beneficial. Doesn’t mean they haven’t been training hard.

I've generously left out some dreadful shouts about Brunt and Hodgson from back in the day and the last three years has been, almost entirely, a solid wall of abuse at Rondon and to a lesser extent McClean.

I also left out the hilarious spelling of the word 'vermontly', by which I presume you meant vehemently.

It's a site based entirely on opinions, in hindsight some will be right, some will be wrong.

Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »
Think we have found the winners of the 'really should have something better to do with my time' award'.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »
Think we have found the winners of the 'really should have something better to do with my time' award'.
Haha! Bet they’re the first names on the list when anyone’s organising a party!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
I think some on here must work for MI5. :)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »
I think if you're relentlessly negative then you're bound to get a few correct.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »
Well my post got removed (it was sarcastic) but kinda saying the same, we can all shout hindsight and pat ourselves on the back..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 10:05:48 PM »
Well my post got removed (it was sarcastic) but kinda saying the same, we can all shout hindsight and pat ourselves on the back..
No posts removed from this thread mate.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 10:22:06 PM »

To be negative is to only consider the bad side of a situation. The season has been a complete disaster with unfortunately no good side whatsoever. I’d argue that predicting our demise or calling out Gibbs as being unable to defend before we signed him was no more than being all too predictably accurate. I’ll be the first to be positive if / when we get a team back again that can win football matches and when we employ some vision. I previously been very happy when we had Gera, Pete, Mulumbu, Lukuku etc and were actually the pride of the Midlands. Our squad is now a comfortable retirement home for ageing footballers who are on big wages, money they won’t get elsewhere, with a lack of hunger to win and a lack of talent. Pulis left a hornets nest and has run the club into the ground but ultimate responsibility lies with the board for letting him scheme his way through transfer windows, wasting money with short term decisions.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:15:50 AM by baggie82 »