Author Topic: 9 Mar 2019 Albion 1 Ipswich Town 1  (Read 42288 times)

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2019, 06:42:29 PM »
I agree with Mister AT, all players mentioned where not good enough, with the exception of Johnstone.

I'm still on the fence with him (Johnstone) but he made sure we got something out of the game today which we honestly didn't deserve.

Their goal looked like it should have been a fairly routine save to me. The guy dives in slow motion, it defies physics.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #251 on: March 09, 2019, 06:48:51 PM »
Their goal looked like it should have been a fairly routine save to me. The guy dives in slow motion, it defies physics.

Watch it back on TV and visit the opticians if haven’t changed your mind. He had no chance with the header. One of our best players today, saved us a point.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #252 on: March 09, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »

Watched it back a few times just now, as an ex-keeper myself I don't attribute any blame on him for that, it's just a well placed header.

And like I said I'm still on the fence with him, there has been times this season where I've been critical of him, but no doubt today he got us a point.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #253 on: March 09, 2019, 06:54:33 PM »
I am not defending DM. I too find some of his  game planning and management puzzling but who do we replace him with? After saying this I also do not agree that “we have the best squad in the division”. This is obviously not true. This latest abject performance has shown that our players are no better than some of those available to the bottom club in the division. On this evidence any one of the Ipswich midfield players would have been an improvement on Livermore, Johansen or, when he came on Morrison. There was no pace, no distribution, no ideas and no help from our midfield for our forward players nor our defenders. This has been an issue for all season and it is only when Barry or Harper have played particularly well that we look to have any ability in midfield at all.  Without either of these we look and in fact are total rubbish. What we lack now as well is confidence which seems to have been replaced by fear. We need changes in the middle of the park, we need playe s with the ability and confidence to do what Barnes did so well and carry the ball forward and put some one else through or try a shot himself. I wait in despair.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #254 on: March 09, 2019, 06:57:28 PM »
Apparently we “played for the win today”. Such a brave approach against bottom of the league Ipswich

Finally, finally, the interviewer on WM asked Moore some difficult questions and he was completely at a loss on how to actually answer them. He just rambled on as you say about trying to win the game etc and kept running in circles with the same nonsense said just slightly differently each time.

It's starting to unravel now, Auto's are gone and the players (half of which are on loan) have just gone into "go through the motions" mode.

We'll limp into the playoff i'm sure but several season of championship football sadly beckons.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #255 on: March 09, 2019, 06:59:17 PM »
of course club can sack him if they realise he's not up to job still 30 points to play for.
Who comes in?
Sam Allardyce? David Moyes? Alan Pardew?
Do we really want to go back down that road? Whatever you say about Moore, we simply cannot go back to that. Surely?
Pochettino has gone from potential winners to struggling to guarantee top 4. Very similar to our plight, should they sack him and get big Sam?

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2019, 07:01:35 PM »
Watch it back on TV and visit the opticians if haven’t changed your mind. He had no chance with the header. One of our best players today, saved us a point.

Just watched it on Sky. A not particularly powerful header from about 15 yards out should be saved for me. By the by really because Ipswich deserved to win the game anyway and would have if they had anyone decent upfront.

baggybazza

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2019, 07:07:12 PM »
I said it at the start of the season and ill say it again now.
DM was the cheap option.
We had an oportunity at the start of the season to get a decent championship manager in Wilder, Smith, ect, ect but no we go for the untried and untested Oh sorry forgot 5 meaning less games at the end of last season.
We had the squad  to play out of this league... but for some reason that i don,t understand we go with a nobody  and bring in average loans.
The only shinning lights in all the loanee,s are Holgate & Gayle.
My big worry is come the end of the season when the loans all return to there clubs what have we got left?.
We will be where we were 5 years ago  with a bunch of old nomads and 1 or 2 promising young lads
 playoffs and promotion ....dont make me laugh this is some of the worst football i have seen in years.
God just think if we did go up!!!!

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2019, 07:07:44 PM »
Who comes in?
Sam Allardyce? David Moyes? Alan Pardew?
Do we really want to go back down that road? Whatever you say about Moore, we simply cannot go back to that. Surely?
Pochettino has gone from potential winners to struggling to guarantee top 4. Very similar to our plight, should they sack him and get big Sam?

No comparison whatsoever between our predicament and that of Spurs.

Clearly no one in their right mind would replace Moore with any of those names mentioned, however there are better alternatives available.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #259 on: March 09, 2019, 07:09:34 PM »
No comparison whatsoever between our predicament and that of Spurs.

Clearly no one in their right mind would replace Moore with any of those names mentioned, however there are better alternatives available.
Really? And are they out of work?

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #260 on: March 09, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
Really? And are they out of work?

Yes

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2019, 08:29:04 PM »
Haven't posted on here in years, but thought i would make an exception tonight!

Our fans are pathetic. Yes, i agree Dave needed to go, but the constant booing in the stands is embarrassing. Leko came on and within TWO minutes people were booing / getting frustrated with him. There were two people in the box - one of which was 5ft 8 - no point in crossing it in!

Our midfield, as always were out on their feet no where to be seen.

A change in management may help, but we need to re-evaluate our efforts as fans - booing a guy who has just come on is ridiculous.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2019, 08:44:17 PM »

Our fans are pathetic. Yes, i agree Dave needed to go, but the constant booing in the stands is embarrassing. Leko came on and within TWO minutes people were booing / getting frustrated with him. There were two people in the box - one of which was 5ft 8 - no point in crossing it in!

A change in management may help, but we need to re-evaluate our efforts as fans - booing a guy who has just come on is ridiculous.

I didn't hear any booing towards Leko today at all, where were you sat ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #263 on: March 09, 2019, 08:46:30 PM »
I didn't hear any booing towards Leko today at all, where were you sat ?

I didn’t hear any booing of Individual players

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #264 on: March 09, 2019, 08:51:13 PM »
I didn’t hear any booing of Individual players

Nope nor me, heard a few groans when Tosin lost or gave the ball away first half but that was it until the end.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #265 on: March 09, 2019, 10:35:57 PM »

You said this in another thread and it's just not true. He wasn't booed. The only booing I heard was at full time because of how badly we have played lately and the fact that we couldn't find a way past a team who are getting relegated.

Leko was a breath of fresh air when he came on. Yes some fans may have felt agitated when he didn't pass once or twice, but the lad played really well. Every time he got the ball he was running forward, something none of the other players did today. Oh, and when he was in possession he had 3 players on him in an instant, every time.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #266 on: March 09, 2019, 11:04:42 PM »
It was a very very bad display....something just had to be going on - either the players had lost it with the management or if it's the case that Moore was sacked in the week, then that performance may have been some sort of protest against the decision.

Couldn't believe we came out just as bad if not worse in the 2nd half. A sorry day all round.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #267 on: March 09, 2019, 11:49:38 PM »
Leko had 3 players on him because he was too slow releasing the ball.  Even when he had options he held onto it too long.  He was pretty poor today and didnt add anything to our game.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #268 on: March 10, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »
Leko had 3 players on him because he was too slow releasing the ball.  Even when he had options he held onto it too long.  He was pretty poor today and didnt add anything to our game.

Totally agree it was like his a shorter version of his performance at Brighton, lots of step overs and turning in a circle but no attempt to shoot or cross.

The majority of the team were poor for the 3rd game on the trot though. Townsend got forward well at times and often was in acres of space only to see the ball lumped into a packed midfield, the same thing happens when Gibbs is playing too though.

Adabarioyo made some fantastic passes into midfield in the first half which led to good attacks, sadly they were all for Ipswich. He is dreadful and coupled with Bartley was an accident waiting to happen. Midfield was useless and Livermore and Phillips were particularly statuesque when watching Nolan get his free header for their goal.

Oddly though on another day we could have scored 3 or 4 but for their keeper, Murphy in particular should have had a couple but Gayle and Rodriguez were rubbish as well.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #269 on: March 10, 2019, 12:31:14 PM »
Sorry fellas but I think you're being harsh on Leko - he's a young player and has only played a handful of minutes for us so far. He was brought on during a difficult match with about 20 mins to play. When you analyse what he actually did in that time, surely you'd agree that he was positive in terms of trying to get forward with the ball (something every other player on the field struggled to do yesterday), he wasn't afraid to run with the ball (again, aside from Murphy, who else actually did this?) and he got into positions where he could pick the ball up (sorry, but again, who else did this yesterday?). For those three points alone he deserves credit. We were all crying out for some creativity and when the lad comes on and tries it he's getting stick for it?

Gayle was anonymous through large parts of the game yesterday, and he has been since he has come back from suspension. I said before the boro game that he should have been started on the bench instead of being thrown straight back into a winning team.

For me, DM has set too many players up to fail throughout this season. Some might say that he's given the young players an opportunity, but look at playing Sam Field at centre back during the cup matches. Look at playing Tosin at LB up at Leeds. Look at giving Burke a few bitty games on the wing. It's not hard to understand that if you are going to play youth, you need to play them in their position and as they get more experience, move them around as they grow and are comfortable. You could also say that he's been asking experienced players to do things they are not capable of such as the passing out from the back.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #270 on: March 10, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
Leko is always the same he just isn't good enough. He doesn't think quickly enough to play at a high level and even when he does finally release the ball he doesn't have the ability to execute his passing properly.

I've said since day one, he will not make it.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #271 on: March 10, 2019, 01:06:20 PM »
Nope nor me, heard a few groans when Tosin lost or gave the ball away first half but that was it until the end.

Sorry guys but there was booing on 84 minutes after Murphy skied the free kick.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #272 on: March 10, 2019, 01:25:53 PM »
Sorry guys but there was booing on 84 minutes after Murphy skied the free kick.

Genuinely didn't hear it

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #273 on: March 10, 2019, 02:58:20 PM »
When Murphy put the free kick in row Z there was a lot of booing in the Brummie.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #274 on: March 10, 2019, 03:07:48 PM »
When Murphy put the free kick in row Z there was a lot of booing in the Brummie.

I'm not surprised. Absolutely chronic delivery when we needed a good one badly.

I'm not a bleeding hearter with these things, I expect better and if I were manager I'd demand better. A dead ball, no pressure on the player I do not expect the ball to be booted out of play. If you want to be a winner and you want to be successful you have to demand better.