Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668366 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #1050 on: January 06, 2020, 11:56:49 AM »
Blimey  :o
I'm staggered

I'm not.

The question you have to ask is why is he so busy to warrant this nomination.
MAGA!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1051 on: January 06, 2020, 12:04:01 PM »
I'm not.

Because we play attacking football which leaves us exposed more at the back??????
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1052 on: January 06, 2020, 01:03:47 PM »
I'm not.

Not sure which question should come first but having finally read more closely through some in game and post match threads here goes.

Because Sawyers doesn't close down quickly enough? Because Livermore doesn't cover Sawyers sufficiently whilst covering his own spaces over the course of 90+ minutes? Because our centre halves, both individually and collectively, switch off and drift? Because our full backs push on and get caught? Because the full backs currently covering the oft injured Gibbs are relatively inexperienced at this level? Because we don't put games to bed when we're on top and by default give the opposition hope?

And/or......... because opposing teams see Sam Johnstone as weak on shots from distance and fancy their chances? Because of rebounds when failing to deal with initial shots meaning he has to save them all over again thus bloating the overall shot count? Because he punches the ball to dangerous areas on the edge of the box from crosses when he could be catching them thus inviting further pressure?

I'm no goalkeeping coach and have done my best to steer clear of openly criticising our custodian (regular readers will notice that I've left Bartley out of things too.....), but I'd wager all of the above allied to us having an open style will probably have something to do with why he has been kept so busy. If I've missed potential questions please refer to any in game/post match thread for further expert opinion on this topic. I feel sure Charlie Austin, HRK and perhaps Zohore and/or Edwards may feature somewhere along the way.

Beware though as having finally consulted the oracles I'm truly stunned to find we're actually second to 'We Would've Taken More' on goal difference  ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1053 on: January 06, 2020, 06:20:15 PM »
Johnstone nominated for PFA player of the month, he made 31 saves in December.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2020/january/johnstone-up-for-december-award/

Is Myhill still with us as goalkeeping coach, he seems to be doing a great job since his return? Sam has played a big part in the team scrapping a point from games we deserved nothing over Christmas.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1054 on: January 06, 2020, 06:25:57 PM »
Is Myhill still with us as goalkeeping coach, he seems to be doing a great job since his return? Sam has played a big part in the team scrapping a point from games we deserved nothing over Christmas.
Myhill is an academy coach... sorry a “phase development coach”. Don’t believe he is with the first team unless he’s helping out Gary Walsh.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1055 on: January 11, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »
OK. It's past a joke now.

I commend the club and management for trying to stick with Johnstone to try to not crush his confidence completely but the 3rd place team is getting closer now and we can't afford passengers any more.

For me personally he shouldn't have even been our 1st choice at the very start of the season (which I did post on here at the time). It should be obvious to everyone that he's just not good enough. A pass out to one of the opposition players today which could easily have led to us conceding a goal and then a poor attempt at saving the header for Charlton's equalizer. That's just 2 from today.

Believe me, it gives me no pleasure to single out a player for serious criticism, but are we going to wait until automatic promotion is impossible before we address this situation?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1056 on: January 11, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »
He'sbloody awful and i think anybody that can't see it really needs their head checked! So slow to dive. We'd have done better giving Myhill another year and i thought that would be a terrible idea  :-\
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1057 on: January 11, 2020, 05:18:07 PM »
One of the worst keepers i've seen in my time. Cannot catch a ball, not a goalkeeper.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1058 on: January 11, 2020, 05:27:15 PM »
I think he needs to be taken out of the firing line now.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1059 on: January 11, 2020, 05:29:03 PM »
He'sbloody awful and i think anybody that can't see it really needs their head checked! So slow to dive. We'd have done better giving Myhill another year and i thought that would be a terrible idea  :-\

Did you miss the unmarked player heading right in the corner? The keeper did well to get a hand to it.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1060 on: January 11, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »
I have said for a while now SJ is inconsistent, he is behind Count Dracula when it comes to crosses, his positioning is suspect as is his handling, and his command of the box is simply missing altogether. Sometimes his distribution is ok but sometimes it’s  appalling. Now is time for a change. We will never know if if anyone else on the books could do a job if we don’t give them an opportunity to stake their claim. Failing that we need a new one. We just need the keeper to be competent and consistent and able to organise his defenders and to have a presence in the box. He doesn’t need to be brilliant just competent and consistent.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1061 on: January 11, 2020, 05:46:09 PM »
If as we all believe, he’s not good enough, then we need to sign a keeper now. I am convinced that Bond is not the answer.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1062 on: January 11, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
Did you miss the unmarked player heading right in the corner? The keeper did well to get a hand to it.

Thought I was on my own with that observation. Pleased someone else asked that question...….
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:37:15 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1063 on: January 11, 2020, 05:57:56 PM »
I like him but I think you have to start Bond at this point.
Johnstone is a good keeper for most of the time, but to be a regular you have to be good all of the time, especially with crosses/collecting the ball etc. Which he simply lacks. It's fundamental stuff and for all the good saves he pulls off he lacks the basics at times.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1064 on: January 11, 2020, 05:58:51 PM »
The defending is also below par due to average Championship centre-halves and a zonal marking system which is not effective. However, that does not exonerate the goalkeeper from responsibility if we concede goals. If we're aiming for automatic promotion we need a goalkeeper who can make decent saves consistently when required. It's just not happening. I'm sure people aren't expecting miracle saves every game, just saves that your average goalkeeper would reach to and save.

kendover

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1065 on: January 11, 2020, 05:59:11 PM »
SJ is a great goalkeeper when comes to reflex saves. As far as position, commanding of the box, organising defence, catching, decision making and general distribution he is very poor. The game is more than reflex saves I'm afraid. Never rated him, all he does is make the defence extremely nervous.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1066 on: January 11, 2020, 06:07:23 PM »
Blame Johnstone all you like but this zonal marking is rubbish . Stop trying to be technical and reinvent the wheel go back to basics give a player a man to mark and full backs on the posts .Then you can have more responsibility and accountability .

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1067 on: January 11, 2020, 06:08:57 PM »
Thought he has been a bit unlucky to be fair the way people were talking saying it was a regulation save if he had kept that out it would have been a bit of a worldie.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1068 on: January 11, 2020, 06:17:54 PM »
Is zonal marking this seasons version of playing out from the back last season?

I think/ hope that Slav has seen enough to know that he has to change now
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1069 on: January 11, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »
Blame Johnstone all you like but this zonal marking is rubbish . Stop trying to be technical and reinvent the wheel go back to basics give a player a man to mark and full backs on the posts .Then you can have more responsibility and accountability .
Agree with that , essentially giving the opposition the upper hand. Not sure any keeper can be blamed for free headers like Today.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1070 on: January 11, 2020, 07:06:49 PM »
Is zonal marking this seasons version of playing out from the back last season?

I think/ hope that Slav has seen enough to know that he has to change now

I think you might be right. Also our back four are not the biggest in the game.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1071 on: January 11, 2020, 07:30:09 PM »
I've just seen their 2nd goal. I have played in goal and coach our teams keepers. I know not to that level.

I'd be extremely disappointed if that beat me or our keeper. It is his side of the goal, he's 12 yards out. SJ for me is either scared to hit the post or doesn't know where his goal is
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1072 on: January 11, 2020, 07:49:00 PM »
Thing is, bad defending and bad goalkeeping aren't mutually exclusive. I agree the defending poor too.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1073 on: January 11, 2020, 07:58:55 PM »
He needs hooking. Even if we left him in and if we manage to get promoted first thing we need is a decent keeper
O Albion we love you

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1074 on: January 11, 2020, 09:13:30 PM »
Whilst Johnstone could have done better, serious questions about the defending should be asked in the first place, he should never have been allowed to win the header
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.