Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2550725 times)

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #9850 on: January 10, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »
Reckon the only way we will get money for SB is to accept an offer from Stoke and then give SB a slice of the fee to sign for them. Otherwise he will walk away for nought and will he get a big signing on fee come the summer. He might be tempted to grab that lump of cash 6 months earlier., sad to say! He really can't lose can he.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9851 on: January 10, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
Fingers crossed we snap off this reported £10 million and run.

The playing hardball experiment failed. Quicker we get him out, the quicker we can use the money to get a replacement in.

It depends on how you class 'failed'? We fended off some awful awful bids for him that were in no way beneficial to us with all the add ons included, we didn't let a player hold the club hostage and will hopefully still get a fee. £10-12m now is better than the £5m + potentially f*ck all in add ons 18 months ago. Also remember a year ago we weren't scoring, had no time to get a replacement because suitors took the pee with late bids - it's easy in hindsight to say we should have took the money, but he's had 18 months to be rehabilitated and he's not bothered. He may have done though, hence the gamble.

Either way, hope he disappears into obscurity ASAP.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9852 on: January 10, 2017, 04:12:14 PM »
Just read the Skysports feature. I was not aware that Newcastle had put a package forward last January that would have meant £21m up front. I can understand the club not accepting Spuds 'easy payments' offer, but £21m is a serious amount of money to refuse for this misfit....
MAGA!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9853 on: January 10, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »
I would also have taken Newcastles bid at the time

Its whether he wanted to go there though??

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9854 on: January 10, 2017, 04:19:19 PM »
have to question how accurate that info is from Sky Sports.

very few reliable media outlets these days

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9855 on: January 10, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »
I would also have taken Newcastles bid at the time

Its whether he wanted to go there though??

Can understand that Tom but it says the offer was thrown out. That gives me the impression it was the clubs decision but I may be wrong.

I would have thought Newcastle would have been more appealing that the other suitors - except for Spuds.
MAGA!

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9856 on: January 10, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »
Someone told me in quite strong terms he did not want to go to Newcastle
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9857 on: January 10, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »

Maybe if they'd have offered a free pair of nice wooly gloves to play in every game over Autumn and Winter this could have sealed the deal!  ::)

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9858 on: January 10, 2017, 06:19:01 PM »

Brink of relegation? Didn't their bid come on the last day or two also? Think it was a mix of potential step down for the player, no time to replace. Had either them or Stoke bid in early January, he'd have gone.

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #9859 on: January 10, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
Brink of relegation? Didn't their bid come on the last day or two also? Think it was a mix of potential step down for the player, no time to replace. Had either them or Stoke bid in early January, he'd have gone.

Incorrect is my understanding. Directors of the club have stated the thinking was if we sold him to Newcastle ( or even Stoke) his goals may have kept them up & relegated us instead. I believe if some one like Spurs had made the same offer wthe club would have accepted it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:46:17 PM by MarkW »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9860 on: January 10, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
No reasonable offer refused I'm sure. With him sidelined for this season his value has plummeted even if it goes to a tribunal which it won't if he moves abroad. I don't believe that there is a bid on the table but Stoke and ourselves are in discussions. The major fly in the ointment is that the player might not want the move,  in my view he is lucky to have a Premier League Club interested in him.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9861 on: January 10, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
adamw1109  agree with most of what you said on Pulis and Bera { who scored 2 for under 23`s tonight} I just believe Pulis is saying what he is because he is being told to make it look like the club is doing the right thing and i am sorry but I will never forgive Bera no matter what if he sign`s and stays { no chance] i will cheer the goal`s but not him He`s s**t on the club more than once SO I just want him gone, one other thing I`m not Pulis`s greatest fan but the man was bought in to do a job I think he`s made a bloody good fist of it. If I did offend anyone it wasn`t meant. I do I try not to have a go at loyal players who are past there sell buy date as its not there fault if they are offered a new deal in there position you or most people would do the same. there are 3 or 4 player`s I would like to be shipped out who have been loyal to this club and I hope in the near future this will be rectfide. I hope that has given a little insight into my views on the Baggies .
When Pulis came in, Berahino became the wrong player at the wrong club. If he had been playing for another club we would never be linked with him because he doesn't fit into the Pulisball model. It happens in football. Pulis played him until he could bring someone else in. You say that he has dumped on the club, it could be equally said the club have dumped on him.
He will be gone soon and we shall see how much of a toll a lack of Premier League football will have taken. He will still be our current most successful academy graduate.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9862 on: January 10, 2017, 11:02:48 PM »
When Pulis came in, Berahino became the wrong player at the wrong club. If he had been playing for another club we would never be linked with him because he doesn't fit into the Pulisball model. It happens in football. Pulis played him until he could bring someone else in. You say that he has dumped on the club, it could be equally said the club have dumped on him.
He will be gone soon and we shall see how much of a toll a lack of Premier League football will have taken. He will still be our current most successful academy graduate.

Just like the whole contract signing issue... would anyone in the right mind sign a contract to a club if they felt they weren't going to be playing? (That obviously shows its not about the 60k a week and he obviously wants to go elsewhere to play football - i see no one is slagging him off for showing off on social media about how happy he was to get 90 mins under his belt last night were they? - nope because its not negative).

Regardless if people like it or not, you don't just 'lose talent', he will go elsewhere, maybe take a season to settle in, get upto speed and gel with the squad... have a cracking season there the season after and all the prem clubs will be keeping a close eye on him to see how he progresses.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:05:41 PM by adamw1109 »

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9863 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:12 PM »
Just like the whole contract signing issue... would anyone in the right mind sign a contract to a club if they felt they weren't going to be playing? (That obviously shows its not about the 60k a week and he obviously wants to go elsewhere to play football - i see no one is slagging him off for showing off on social media about how happy he was to get 90 mins under his belt last night were they? - nope because its not negative).

Regardless if people like it or not, you don't just 'lose talent', he will go elsewhere, maybe take a season to settle in, get upto speed and gel with the squad... have a cracking season there the season after and all the prem clubs will be keeping a close eye on him to see how he progresses.
id take that crystal ball back mate its obviously a defective one

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9864 on: January 10, 2017, 11:28:37 PM »
When his playing in a team that play to his strengths we will see if adamw1109 is right mate.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9865 on: January 10, 2017, 11:49:39 PM »
He may go somewhere and do well, I couldn't careless he can score the winning goal in a UCL Final and again I couldn't care

I want him out of this club he has caused more issues across more transfer windows than Odemwingie and Anelka

He can go with my absolute blessing to a rival I really don't care

He hasn't played for 18 months we won't miss him

He will go elsewhere and I'll guarantee he will cause some kind of trouble

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9866 on: January 10, 2017, 11:50:33 PM »

I was told roughly the same a few transfer windows ago about him still being here and playing in a west bromwich albion shirt again, dont be so bitter  ;)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9867 on: January 11, 2017, 12:01:18 AM »
Well at least we can guarantee that no matter what this window or the summer he will be gone

I'm taking a lot of heart from that

Rybs

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #9868 on: January 11, 2017, 12:45:50 AM »
Bit of a sad story for me this one, the lads dream big move to spurs didn't happen as the payment package wasn't right, he kicked off... following bids were from clubs who we saw as more or less direct competitors at the time.
Saido dealt with it wrongly but Spurs made no secret they really wanted him... they can't go without blame, nor can Pulis afterwards for giving him limited game time and also playing him out of position if memory serves me correctly?
Circumstances were wrong and I think he's been tarnished with most of the blame when in the grand scheme of things what he did wasn't too bad, was it? Young lad gets the chance to move to a club challenging for titles and playing Champions league football, of course he'll want to go!
The quicker this is resolved the better in my eyes, draw a line under it and move on, if he doesn't want to be here and we don't want him here then there's better things to discuss and worry about.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9869 on: January 11, 2017, 01:39:01 AM »
there's a good chance Saido will move to Stoke but I think it might depend if Wilfried Bony is allowed to join Besiktas on loan thus leaving Stoke short up front.

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9870 on: January 11, 2017, 09:04:52 AM »

I would imagine that we made the increasing contract offers in the knowledge that Saido wouldn't accept them. I guess these were done to add weight to our argument with the tribunal fee;  eg.  We have turned down bids up to £23m. The player himself has rejected a £60k p.w. contract = he must command a big fee
Twitter: @floydy1983

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9871 on: January 11, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »
Still can`t see why some fan`s still want him at club for eighteen months now he has sat on his a**e doing nothing except posting incryptic remarks on social media as you all know i for one will be glad to see the back of him.

chippyclarke

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #9872 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:24 AM »
Bit of a sad story for me this one, the lads dream big move to spurs didn't happen as the payment package wasn't right, he kicked off... following bids were from clubs who we saw as more or less direct competitors at the time.
Saido dealt with it wrongly but Spurs made no secret they really wanted him... they can't go without blame, nor can Pulis afterwards for giving him limited game time and also playing him out of position if memory serves me correctly?
Circumstances were wrong and I think he's been tarnished with most of the blame when in the grand scheme of things what he did wasn't too bad, was it? Young lad gets the chance to move to a club challenging for titles and playing Champions league football, of course he'll want to go!
The quicker this is resolved the better in my eyes, draw a line under it and move on, if he doesn't want to be here and we don't want him here then there's better things to discuss and worry about.
He should have accepted  what happened and got on with improving his playing skills and almost certainly, a bigger club still would have come after him.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9873 on: January 11, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9874 on: January 11, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
Palace interested in shipping Benteke out as they want to create funds for Big Sam to stregnthen and they are also interested in Berahino. I'd love it if we could ship Berahino out and Benteke in. For me that would be the ideal player to bring in upfront, and he was Pulis's No.1 target last summer.