Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 361095 times)

Westie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1225 on: November 29, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »
There’s no pleasing some ‘Albion fans’, if Lionel Messi was in our team he’d be criticised if he didn’t score in every match!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1226 on: November 30, 2018, 09:17:02 AM »
There’s no pleasing some ‘Albion fans’, if Lionel Messi was in our team he’d be criticised if he didn’t score in every match!
No they wouldn't.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1227 on: November 30, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »
I just don't think he gives the same commitment and desire as he clearly showed he can against Leeds in every game.

He is one of a few we'll get big money for, and in an ideal world imo we should take about £15m for him if (big if) it's offered because of his age etc.

With the proceeds we should consider getting the much pacier and younger Maupay in and a box to box mf, as I don't think Mozza is the answer there.

Not for one second do I believe that Jenkins will release funds in Jan unless they are generated by player sales.

Our only hope without sales is that LD and IP have some very cheap signings from abroad lined up and/or some more loans.

Brentford rejected a Championship record transfer bid in the summer and he is now top scorer in the division. He'll cost more than Jay.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1228 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:48 AM »
I doubt it.  The trouble with J-Rod is, considering he's given quite a free, attacking role, he doesn't actually offer very much.  There's glimpses of a decent player but he's not lethal in front of goal, he's not setting others up an awful lot.  I think he can do better, or we can do better.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1229 on: November 30, 2018, 12:32:30 PM »
I doubt it.  The trouble with J-Rod is, considering he's given quite a free, attacking role, he doesn't actually offer very much.  There's glimpses of a decent player but he's not lethal in front of goal, he's not setting others up an awful lot.  I think he can do better, or we can do better.

Yes, he's certainly not in the SKP mould, neither is he a traditional big man, or a dynamic Cyrille I struggle to think of what "type" of forward Jay is. (Bergkamp with less class???)

To me he seems to be more suited to being a midfielder with a few goals in him (Mozzaesque)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1230 on: November 30, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
Yes, he's certainly not in the SKP mould, neither is he a traditional big man, or a dynamic Cyrille I struggle to think of what "type" of forward Jay is. (Bergkamp with less class???)

To me he seems to be more suited to being a midfielder with a few goals in him (Mozzaesque)

This season he has scored 9 in 18 which is a goal every other game...

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1231 on: November 30, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »
This season he has scored 9 in 18 which is a goal every other game...

4 penalties in there

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1232 on: November 30, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
Heres the top scorers in championship list adjusted to exclude pens,  Jay comes in equal 22nd !

Neal Maupay   11
Lukas Jutkiewicz   10
Teemu Pukki   10
Billy Sharp   10
Lewis Grabban   9
Dwight Gayle   9
Tammy Abraham   8
Che Adams   8
Callum Robinson   8
Kemar Roofe   8
Bradley Dack   7
Oliver McBurnie   7
Harvey Barnes   7
Jón Böðvarsson   6
Alan Browne   6
Fraizer Campbell   6
Lee Gregory   6
Joe Lolley   6
Yakou Meïté   6
Pablo Hernández   6
Ollie Watkins   6
Jay Rodriguez   5
Britt Assombalonga   5
Mateusz Klich   5
Jonathan Kodjia   5
Lucas João   5
Jack Marriott   5
Matt Phillips   5
Adam Reach   5
Jordan Rhodes   5
Andreas Weimann   5
Harry Wilson   5
Albion Family !!!

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1233 on: November 30, 2018, 02:37:53 PM »
4 penalties in there

Both a penalty and a 30 yard screamer count as one on the scoresheet, I don't see why so many are determined to discount them. His reliability from the spot has been very welcome, we've lacked that in recent years. They're not gimmes.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1234 on: November 30, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
I was ready to write Jay off for the season after a couple of his performances actually cost us points (the back pass and open goal miss urrgghhh) but then we switched to a front three and he was superb against Leeds really driving at the defenders.   He then scored again against Ipswich, although missing a couple of other decent chances.

I'm often baffled as to how good he is.  Sometimes his work rate is very good and he does chase a lost cause.  He is cool on penalties and can take a sharp chance.  but he isn't a natural goal scorer and often seems poor in one on one situations. He's not got searing pace to play on the shoulder or trick to beat a player from out wide, nor is his hold up play fantastic but I have seen him play some lovely one touch link up with Gayle, Barnes and Phillips at times.

A few weeks ago I'd have taken a tenner and a bottle of whisky for him, but realistically you would think a pretty substantial sum would be required as he really is an integral part of a team currently challenging for promotion.....we'd probably miss him once he had gone!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:50:03 PM by Oldbury24 »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1235 on: November 30, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »
I was ready to write Jay off for the season after a couple of his performances actually cost us points (the back pass and open goal miss urrgghhh) but then we switched to a front three and he was superb against Leeds really driving at the defenders.   He then scored again against Ipswich, although missing a couple of other decent chances.

I'm often baffled as to how good he is.  Sometimes his work rate is very good and he does chase a lost cause.  He is cool on penalties and can take a sharp chance.  but he isn't a natural goal scorer and often seems poor in one on one situations. He's not got searing pace to play on the shoulder or trick to beat a player from out wide, nor is his hold up play fantastic but I have seen him play some lovely one touch link up with Gayle, Barnes and Phillips at times.

A few weeks ago I'd have taken a tenner and a bottle of whisky for him, but realistically you would think a pretty substantial sum would be required as he really is an integral part of a team currently challenging for promotion.....we'd probably miss him once he had gone!!

yeah, he's a bit of an enigma to me, he's not a goal machine and he doesn't lead the line, but he has good on the ball skills and I'm sure pro's would say "what he does off the ball" is great. Is he a prem league striker? I don't think so, but would he be a good component in a prem strikeforce?, probably.  A weird fish...
Albion Family !!!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1236 on: November 30, 2018, 03:12:48 PM »

Brentford rejected a Championship record transfer bid in the summer and he is now top scorer in the division. He'll cost more than Jay.

When push comes to shove I think Brentford would take about £10m.

But, in an ideal world I'd like us to do what we used to do best and bring in hidden gems like Koren and Mulumbu like before.

The likes of Bristol City managed to find Diedu and before him Kodija and Brentford found Maupay. We need to up our game scouting wise to find these types of players again.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1237 on: November 30, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »
When push comes to shove I think Brentford would take about £10m.

But, in an ideal world I'd like us to do what we used to do best and bring in hidden gems like Koren and Mulumbu like before.

The likes of Bristol City managed to find Diedu and before him Kodija and Brentford found Maupay. We need to up our game scouting wise to find these types of players again.

Why when they rejected more than that in the summer?

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1238 on: November 30, 2018, 05:00:41 PM »
Heres the top scorers in championship list adjusted to exclude pens,  Jay comes in equal 22nd !

Well you can muck around with stats to prove any point.  I think he has played well in a sort of forward mid-field role.  He has worked hard and provided some valuable assists.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1239 on: November 30, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »
Full disclosure - I love the guy. I think he's shown some real class, determination and leadership recently. For me he's a class act.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1240 on: November 30, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
It's true some of his goals have been pens, but look how many pens Shearer scored
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1241 on: November 30, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »

Why when they rejected more than that in the summer?

Can you provide a link for this bid, because I cannot find anything, which would have had to be over £15m for a player who hadn't been around for long and certainly would not be classed as proven.

Brentford have a long history of functioning on accepting bids and then getting in replacements through their money ball system.

That is why they sold gray, tarkowski, jota,  Woods and hogan amongst others.

All were sold for under 10m.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1242 on: November 30, 2018, 10:51:48 PM »
Like it or not, his goals scored stat is flattered thanks to the pens he has scored. I'm not sure he's won a pen yet either?

Obviously, it's still goals but they ARE as close to a 'gimme' as you can get. 

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1243 on: November 30, 2018, 10:53:04 PM »
Nothing wrong with scoring penalties, remember the times we couldn't score them for fun?
It shows he is composed and confident which is needed for a striker.

I think he's done ok this season. Sometimes he ghosts out of games for too long, but other times he comes up with important goals. Regardless, I am happy with him so far.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1244 on: December 03, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »
Full disclosure - I love the guy. I think he's shown some real class, determination and leadership recently. For me he's a class act.

I'm with you Frazzle

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1245 on: December 03, 2018, 09:02:48 PM »
Absolute fraud. Praying Burnley come back in with anything remotely 8 figures in January.  >:(

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1246 on: December 03, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »
I rest my case.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1247 on: December 03, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »
Burnley will hopefully come in for him in January

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1248 on: December 03, 2018, 10:11:54 PM »
well, if Rondon had missed that many gilt edge chances as JRod did tonight.................

He's a clever player in many ways but he is really struggling in front of goal at the moment
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1249 on: December 03, 2018, 10:28:17 PM »
Ok it was a bad miss but those chances where you have to lunge forward at full stretch, there is a risk it catches the wrong part of your foot as you're not in total control of your body.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill