Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 772200 times)

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #575 on: July 26, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »
We spent around £8m last year (I stand to be corrected) and took a championship side to mid table in the Prem. I dont see why we have to spend £10m £15m £20m for fans to think we want to be competitve in the league
Because you can get away with it for 1 or possibly 2 seasons but eventually it will come back to bite you on the bum and down we will go........AGAIN !, and no-one wants that, we've had enough yo-yoing for one lifetime thank you very much
He's a lad from the Wrenna

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #576 on: July 26, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »
Not arguing, he has been very shrewd, but to take it to the next level an secure ourselves as a premier league club we need to change our mentality - look at the likes of teams around us Bolton, Fulham, Stoke etc have all progressed into midtable teams through spending a bit of loot.

Bargain basement is going to work - as we have seen over the past few years, but every time its a gamble -- fortunately a lot of ours have come off - but you cant ride that luck forever, especially as we are trying to establish ourselves i the prem - something which we havent done before

And so did Blues, West Ham and Boro' - spending doesn't bring with it any guarantees

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #577 on: July 26, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »
Birmingham had the 3rd highest net spend in the PL under McCleish, and it worked out brilliantly for them didnt it. Would people be happier if we had signed £6m Zigic than Odemwignie last season? More expensive but it least it would have shown we were serious about staying in the league, and never mind we went down and now have to sell our best players just to stay afloat, at least the board showed some ambition.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #578 on: July 26, 2011, 05:22:44 PM »
There is a massive difference over not paying extornionate fee's, and not paying a few hundred thousand more on a deal which is already much cheaper than we'd have first thought anyway.

Buying someone like Long for 8m is reckless, paying a couple of hundred k more for  Foster is sensible. Goalkeeper is the most important position we will buy for this season, given the fact his deal is apparently much cheaper than anyone could ever have thought, paying a tiny bit extra isn't going to bankrupt anyone.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #579 on: July 26, 2011, 05:24:37 PM »
The thing is though Dan is it just a few hundred thousand stopping a deal going through for Foster or are you jumping to conclusions based on very little information? None of us know what the financial details of any proposed deals are.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #580 on: July 26, 2011, 05:29:18 PM »
The thing is though Dan is it just a few hundred thousand stopping a deal going through for Foster or are you jumping to conclusions based on very little information? None of us know what the financial details of any proposed deals are.
I fully take on board we should NOT be held to ransom over signing players at extortionate prices and just bend over and take it ! However, it just strikes me that we, more than any other club I know, fanny about when it comes to signing players. You never hear of other clubs, even ones that we know about, having the pallarva that we have practically every time we sign or look to sign a player.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #581 on: July 26, 2011, 05:34:06 PM »
I only look at general transfer news when it comes to other clubs but with Albion I look into every little story and link all the time so I honestly couldn't give you an answer about whether other clubs 'fanny about' with transfers or not. In all honesty I doubt you could either unless you are following other clubs and their news as closely as you do Albion.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #582 on: July 26, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »
I only look at general transfer news when it comes to other clubs but with Albion I look into every little story and link all the time so I honestly couldn't give you an answer about whether other clubs 'fanny about' with transfers or not. In all honesty I doubt you could either unless you are following other clubs and their news as closely as you do Albion.
Point taken but with 90% of signings other clubs make, you hear about it one day and they player is signed then next, or a week at the most, with us, its months !

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #583 on: July 26, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
Depends what news sources you read, I've seen clubs linked with a lot of players in the past that seem to take months to get deals done. Take Wolves and Roger Johnson as an example, they admited they made their initial contact with Birmingham the week the season finished but only sealed the deal about a week or two ago. In comparison to Foster who wasn't even known to be a target of ours until it was confirmed that Given wasn't interested in joining us and a day or two after our move for Vaughan broke down, what was that two or three weeks ago?

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #584 on: July 26, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
Foster starting for blues tonight. Lets hope it's his last game for them ;D
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #585 on: July 26, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
Foster starting for blues tonight. Lets hope it's his last game for them ;D
Tends to suggest his leaving them is still some way off?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #586 on: July 26, 2011, 08:05:29 PM »
Tends to suggest his leaving them is still some way off?
Not really. Didn't Greening play for us against Newcastle in the first game of the 2009-10 season and then a week later he signed for Fulham?

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #587 on: July 26, 2011, 08:07:21 PM »
Not really. Didn't Greening play for us against Newcastle in the first game of the 2009-10 season and then a week later he signed for Fulham?

Not sure but Damien Duff played (scored as well) and signed for Fulham a week later.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:09:56 PM by KingKoren »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #588 on: July 26, 2011, 08:10:20 PM »
Greening played the Newcastle game,Forest away(made the goal) then was pulled out the squad for Peterborough away and departed for Fulham shortly after.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

wba2004

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #589 on: July 26, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »
Greening played the Newcastle game,Forest away(made the goal) then was pulled out the squad for Peterborough away and departed for Fulham shortly after.

Looks like we posted the same thing at the same time lol  :D

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #590 on: July 26, 2011, 08:24:12 PM »
Completely agree that there is a massive difference between not paying over the odds and not paying and extra £500k. However I wasn't aware that we had refused to pay this money, or that it was even a sticking point? Instead its fans being impatient and jumping to conclusions.

If come September we have failed to sign Foster just because we didn't want to pay an extra £8k a week on his wages, and he has confirmed to be our number 1 target in the window then I will be livid and be asking serious questions of our ambition and transfer policy. However, that's a big if and until that happens I dont see how anyone can have a go at the people involved in the deal, especially when nobody knows what is really happening. 

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #591 on: July 26, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »
We have the opportunity to sign a class keeper, we should be snapping their hands off! Just pay the F*cking money albion, hardly going to lose out. Won t it be a loan to buy? Stupid to just loan him, stump up the cash and get him permanently.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #592 on: July 26, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »
I would be more than happy if we could sign Foster.

However it is interesting that people claimed there was not a rush of premier league clubs to sign Carson, surely the same could be said of Foster!
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #593 on: July 26, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »
Maybe they didn't want to pay £5 million+ for a goalkeeper, not many teams do. He only knowingly became available for loan in the last week or so, after most teams had already sorted their goalkeepers out.

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #594 on: July 26, 2011, 09:03:57 PM »
He's let one in against Oxford. Blues losing 1-0 lol!

Need to sign him up ASAP IMO.
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #595 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:43 PM »
Blues lost 2-0 so he let 2 in! Oh well ay.

Tie his wages up JP! I'm getting impatient now ;D :P
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #596 on: July 26, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »
Just watched an interview with Sam Allerdyce on sky sports.

When asked if he was expecting another bid from West Brom for Green, he said no they have signed Foster.  ;D
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #597 on: July 26, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »
Just watched an interview with Sam Allerdyce on sky sports.

When asked if he was expecting another bid from West Brom for Green, he said no they have signed Foster.  ;D

Coming from fat Sam it must be true.

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #598 on: July 26, 2011, 10:47:55 PM »
This deal could happen ASAP or not at all. Hearing strong reports of twitter that blues are going into admin. This might spell the end for this deal but could also mean we get him cheaper. Who knows.
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #599 on: July 26, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »
This deal could happen ASAP or not at all. Hearing strong reports of twitter that blues are going into admin. This might spell the end for this deal but could also mean we get him cheaper. Who knows.

Also rumored on Facebook now.
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten