Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 772179 times)

South West Steve

• WBA Newbie

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2011, 08:52:59 AM »
My in-laws (all Blues season ticket holders) say he's good - very occasional errors but don't they all do even Hart - and they'd have been in far worse position (not quite sure what's worse than getting relegated!) and still young enough to become a serious contender to be England No.1 if he was in a good team. they said year on year he was as good as Hart the year before, their problem was scoring goals not keeping them out really.

I'd take him as part of the spine of the team we should be looking to build stability around for the next five years plus. Given or Fridel would only give you say three years?

Cunningham

« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »
Foster is without doubt better than Carson and Myhill so it gets a thumbs up from me.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »
Is Foster that good? I genuinly haven't seen enough of him all I've seen is what I've seen of him on tv and against us have had lots of good things about him though and if Roy thinks he's the one then that's good enough for me

He made a few mistakes last season but crucialy, he will also make a lot of good saves and can win you points. He is a crowd pleasing keeper and id certainly be happy with him.
Boing Boing

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2011, 12:41:05 PM »
£6m? £8m?

I'd love to sell you guys a second hand car  ;D

Blues paid £4m for him plus add ons. Since they got relegated in his first season I doubt any of the add ons have been activated (and selling him helps ensure they never do - unless there's a sell on clause)

They probably want him off the wage bill and he probably wants to go for Premiership football. Yet he wants to stay in the West Midlands. They won't want to sell to Villa (who probably won't want him if they sign Given)

So I think we're in quite a strong position.

I think JP will start low and go to £4.5 m absolute max.

That is if he hasn't already picked up Green for £2m.

I'd certainly prefer Foster

But I think we'll end up with Green  ;)

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2011, 01:03:57 PM »
£6m? £8m?

I'd love to sell you guys a second hand car  ;D

Blues paid £4m for him plus add ons. Since they got relegated in his first season I doubt any of the add ons have been activated (and selling him helps ensure they never do - unless there's a sell on clause)

They probably want him off the wage bill and he probably wants to go for Premiership football. Yet he wants to stay in the West Midlands. They won't want to sell to Villa (who probably won't want him if they sign Given)

So I think we're in quite a strong position.

I think JP will start low and go to £4.5 m absolute max.

That is if he hasn't already picked up Green for £2m.

I'd certainly prefer Foster

But I think we'll end up with Green  ;)

Thats what im worried about.

Like selling Pete and signing Marlon Harewood

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2011, 01:06:25 PM »
Thats what im worried about.

Like selling Pete and signing Marlon Harewood
and green is that bad? Whenever i saw him in action last season i could see he gave it a good go. He may have started off the season a little nervous but with time he produced some spectacular saves and a few times kept WHU in the match. I certainly wouldnt sniff at Green joining us.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »
Id perfer Foster to Green, but if there is a big price difference I can understand us going for the latter. Green makes more mistakes than any keeper around nowadays but he kept his place in the West ham side last year because he laso makes a number of great saves and there were lots of games for West ham last season where he kept scores down due to inspired goalkeeping. Not sure if he is the right fit for us now im not sure but he isnt awful.

Hopefully we can get Blues to budge on Foster though. With other keepers around like Given I think we will have a good chance but it depends iof Blues want silly money. I wouldnt go past 5 million and I doubt the club will either.
Boing Boing

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »
i would take either one of them , its a must we get a good keeper in , anything with foster his is injurys .

popbaggie28

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
Foster for me all the way.....Green is a good shot stopper but i can just see him being similar to Carson and looking Solid then make a stupid mistake or let in a saft goal!

jamieee

« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »
Won't come

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
Won't come

How do you know this? Yeah, exactly you don't.
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

BaggieBoiJono

« Reply #237 on: July 10, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »
somebody else in the premier league will want him, meaning we have no change.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #238 on: July 10, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »

What clubs need a first choice keeper in the Premier League right now with Villa looking extremely likely to sign Given?

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #239 on: July 10, 2011, 01:11:22 PM »
What clubs need a first choice keeper in the Premier League right now with Villa looking extremely likely to sign Given?

Not to mention the fact that Foster wants to stay at his home in Leamington. Geographically we have the edge over everyone else.

If we can meet Birmingham's valuation of Foster, which could possibly take some time I would imagine, we will get him.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »
That is the way I see it, whether we can negotiate a deal is anyones guess though.

15.SUPERJOE

« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2011, 01:29:21 PM »
Won't come

I love your confidence.

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2011, 01:39:46 PM »
I hate having no change. Always have to break into a note every time I need to catch the bus. Very annoying.

So... who else has been linked with Foster? Apart from Villa who are now set to sign Given? Also what other teams in the division need a new first choice keeper?

Arsenal - maybe, but they'd probably be aiming higher than Foster
Villa - would've been in for him but it looks like they'll be signing Given soon
Blackburn - no, they have Robinson
Bolton - unlikely with Jaaskelinen and Bogdan on their books
Chelsea - no
Everton - no
Fulham - unlikely since they have Schwarzer and Stockdale
Liverpool - no
Newcastle - unlikely since they have Krul, Harper and Forster who are all highly rated in the club
Man City - no
Man United - no
Norwich - maybe, but we shouldn't lose out to them
QPR - see Norwich
Stoke - unlikely since they have Begovic and Sorensen
Sunderland - no, just signed Westwood, also have Gordon and Mignolet
Swansea - see Norwich
Spurs - unlikely since they just signed Friedel
Wigan - no, just signed Al-Habsi
Wolves - maybe, depends on whether Mad Mick still rates Hennessey

A quick look at the PL squad lists shows that the only Premier League teams that realistically could be in for him apart from us are the three promoted sides and maybe Wolves. If we have no chance competing with three promoted teams and Wolves then we might as well give up now.

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »
Wolves have De Vries and Hennessey, Swansea brought in a keeper from Benfica yesterday and QPR are happy with Kenny.

We're the only club that will come in for Foster unless Villa miss out on Given or Spurs sell Gomes

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2011, 02:08:02 PM »
Wolves have De Vries and Hennessey, Swansea brought in a keeper from Benfica yesterday and QPR are happy with Kenny.

We're the only club that will come in for Foster unless Villa miss out on Given or Spurs sell Gomes
Oh yeah completely forgot about De Vries and Swansea's new keeper, that virtually rules them out as well. Don't think Spurs will come into it, Friedel was brought in as their first choice and even if they do get rid of Gomes they still have Cudicini.

We just better hope Norwich don't take an interest because they'll surely get him since we have no chance of getting him if another Premier League club wants him!

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #245 on: July 10, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »
Can't see any of the promoted clubs (or Wolves) paying £6m (or more) plus £30K pw (or more) for a goalie.

So I reckon if we hold out for £4.5m and offer £30K per week we would be favorites.

Not to mention the length of commute from Leamington to Swansea or Norwich!!

But I still think we'll get Green  ;)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »
Think this could happen but ...
Vile will need to sign Given first , foster may be waiting to see if that happens before going and JP would be quite happy if that happened too , this would leave blues with an international keeper that they cant really afford to keep and however much they want there is a limit to what we would pay .
2 weeks from now he could be ours , around 4.5-5.5 plus add ons ...
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »
I don't think Blues would even consider doing business with Villa no matter what Villa offered them.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
I don't think Blues would even consider doing business with Villa no matter what Villa offered them.

Normally I'd disagree with this as football is all about business these days but at the moment, after what happened with MacLeish, I think you might be right. Depends on how desperate their finances are.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »

Oh i forgot your ITK

As I said on page 5 of this thread, he will be signing for us. This is the first time and probably the last time that I am ITK. It'll probably be a loan rather than a full signing but barring a massive cockup he will be coming, and will be a fantastic signing in my opinion.